Thread: Is it true that Singaporeans drink recycled sewage water?

Talking Is it true that Singaporeans drink recycled sewage water?

But it is true so what's the problem!

What Magpie Legend (Alan Shearer) said is true. NEWater (recycled water) "consistently exceeds the requirements set by USEPA and WHO guidelines and is, in fact, cleaner than the other sources of Singapore's water.[4] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEWater

http://www.wpro.who.int/NR/rdonlyres.../Singapore.pdf

yeah... rather drink our own pee than beg for water from malaysia.....

Newater is used in super clean water industries so it's simply super clean lah... We are so successful in this membrane business that Hyflux has been invited to so many countries, from China to the middle east to help them start up too... that lady up there in Hyflux is a billionaire... don't play play..

There again, the technologies are based on todays'(or in 2002's when Newwater pilot project being installed ??) knowledges. there are perhaps properly many more virus and germs smaller then the membranous method. This may pass thru and can't be detached. No body know for sure of this..,

Also, no matter what ..is still operated by men and men do make error and mistake..It only need an error in the plants operation and that it..

I think objectively, the authority did a very good publicity and a good job during the time of adversity with Malaysia's water pack agreement, to sell the idea of this method of recycle water...It arose the national's sense of pride and belonging during this adversity..

It is not an easy psychological barrier to overcome.. even it is diluted with natural catchment of a ratio (at that time ??) 20 : 80 being 20 for newater n 80 for natural catchment..??? (can't be sure of the ratio is correct by had read somewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Newater is used in super clean water industries so it's simply super clean lah... We are so successful in this membrane business that Hyflux has been invited to so many countries, from China to the middle east to help them start up too... that lady up there in Hyflux is a billionaire... don't play play..
    with a stroke of luck of time, Ms Oliver lum won the contract over established US firm (US filter or something ) when she tie up with Keppel Eng to bid for newater project..

At that time Government wanted to establish a local brand name for it own long term sustainability and to break away the dependency of water supply from Malaysia. Hyflux is at the right time and the right place....

(above are just my own deduction based on some reading on engineering journals..)

Quote Originally Posted by sh

The recycle water could also use seawater, there again , it is economic ...seawater is not as cost effective to built and operate...

Think we are still buying water from Msia and resupplying them after treatment..., so some of them are also drinking our water...

http://www.circleofblue.org/waternew...f-sufficiency/

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_...009-06-23.html

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore...mentid=4053048

We are definitely still buying water from Malaysia but our contract with them expires soon. Think there are 2 contracts. One expires in 2015 while the other 2050 or something (can't remember the year).

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Think we are still buying water from Msia and resupplying them after treatment..., so some of them are also drinking our water...

http://www.circleofblue.org/waternew...f-sufficiency/

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_...009-06-23.html

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore...mentid=4053048
    sooo.... they are also drinking our pee....

sshhh.......

Got shyt anot?

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Got shyt anot?
    err...i think is a mixture of both ..blended in the goodness of morning rush hours

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    err...i think is a mixture of both ..blended in the goodness of morning rush hours
    i am not sure about the rest of USA but NY is definitely run on recycled water .... and tap water is safe enuff to drink

Better not assume tap water is safe
    Any recommendation on a good filter to install at home?
    Heard there are some products which use ultraviolet etc.
    Don't know Just gimmick or not.

They are drinking a mixture of about 20% of our pee with normal rain water..

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    Better not assume tap water is safe
    Any recommendation on a good filter to install at home?
    Heard there are some products which use ultraviolet etc.
    Don't know Just gimmick or not.
    Normal filters are actually pretty cheap but those with UV protection cost a lot more... can check out in big appliance stores and check online...

use normal cheap carbon filter and den boil it.....cfm safe enough....forget abt those expensive filter....more like a gimmick to me

No need for any filter in Singapore. Boiling is good enough. If really uncomfortable, just buy the auto water dispenser.. sure safe for all to drink... with boiled and normal temperature water... one size fits all!

people so fast forgot dead body in water tank?
    better boil water every time....

Now that it happened, town councils will ensure it will not happen again so actually its pretty safe to drink again.... But I always ensure that water is boiled before giving to my kids... i drink ok lah...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Now that it happened, town councils will ensure it will not happen again so actually its pretty safe to drink again.... But I always ensure that water is boiled before giving to my kids... i drink ok lah...
    Actually boil doesnt help if got rusty pipes.....its more necessary to go thru activated carbon filter den boiling....

Boiling to me is optional tat actually destroy all the beneficial minerals

Actually boil doesnt help if got rusty pipes.....its more necessary to go thru activated carbon filter den boiling....

No worries about rusty pipes if your development is < 10years old. If more, then look out for the colour of the water coming out of the tap. Rust is visible to the naked eye so can spot de... Singapore should still be relatively safe lah!!!

Not all activated carbon are safe for human use. It depends on the carbon source and the chemicals used to activate the carbon.

If really so so scared although nothing to be so so scared about, just install a RO system, the very same system that produce Newater. You can have perfect peace le... A couple of hundred of dollars for that installation. It is the membrane that will squeeze you dry!!!