Thread: 'I've kept to my word', says Potong Pasir MP

Default 'I've kept to my word', says Potong Pasir MP

Wonder if those who re-apply to EM Services will get the same pay package as before...., anyone knows? If same pay, then no reason why some of these terminated staff are "unhappy".

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...132707/1/.html

'I've kept to my word', says Potong Pasir MP
    By Cheow Xin Yi, TODAY | Posted: 02 June 2011 0656 hrs
    Photos 1 of 1 " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" width=18 height=15 type=image>
    Sitoh Yih Pin

SINGAPORE: A dispute has broken out between the Singapore People's Party (SPP) and the People's Action Party Member of Parliament Sitoh Yih Pin over what was allegedly promised for the leadership transition at Potong Pasir Town Council.

At the heart of the wrangle are the 16 town council employees, who were last week offered re-employment and deployment to other town councils by EM Services, the managing agent newly contracted by Mr Sitoh to manage the town council.

Out of the 16 employees, three were retained in Potong Pasir Town Council. According to employees whom MediaCorp spoke to, the remaining 13 were issued termination letters.

Mr Sitoh explained that the termination letters were issued "in accordance to" the employees' contracts and the terminated staff were asked to re-apply with EM Services. So far, only six had submitted their re-application forms, said Mr Sitoh.

One employee in his fifties said he knew of at least three colleagues who have decided not to reapply, as they were "unhappy" with the arrangement.

The arrangement is not what Mr Sitoh had promised Mrs Lina Chiam, his SPP opponent at the recent General Election, claims the Opposition party, whose second assistant secretary-general Benjamin Pwee has drafted a "request letter" to the Potong Pasir MP.

MediaCorp understands that Mr Pwee will deliver the letter to the town council on Thursday.

According to a copy of the letter obtained by MediaCorp, SPP claims that Mr Sitoh had pledged, in front of SPP and PAP counting agents in the early hours after Polling Day, to "keep all the staff at the town council" after Mrs Chiam had expressed concern about their jobs at the town council.

When contacted on Wednesday, Mr Sitoh refuted SPP's claims.

"At that time, I didn't know the inside workings of the town council and how many staff there were, so my exact words to her, "Since you asked, I'll try my best to see what I can do"," he said.

"And I think I've kept to my word: I negotiated with EM Services and I must give credit to EM Services. They said, "Don't worry, we'll take the staff"."

As for his decision not to keep most of the town council employees at Potong Pasir, Mr Sitoh said he could not keep everybody, as he has to abide by EM Services' regulations.

"It has its own way of doing things that is developed over the years, which is why I adopt this system. My paramount interest is the Potong Pasir residents, so EM Services has to bring in its own people. I can't compromise on standards of services I deliver to residents."

He added that EM Services will probably have to train some of the Potong Pasir town council employees under its own training programme.

Town council employees whom MediaCorp spoke to expressed concern about the situation, especially after they were told that when re-employed, they would be put on a six-month probation under EM Service's terms and conditions. When asked about the probation period, Mr Sitoh said this was standard human resource policy for all EM Services staff. He added: "If they're good performers, what's the worry?" - TODAY

Very convenient for sitoh to push the blame to EM when all he needs to do is to just say he wants the existing employees to continue their services at the town council. So easy to see through his intention

let's see how WP act on staff n service contractors in Aljunied Town Council.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP
    let's see how WP act on staff n service contractors in Aljunied Town Council.

WP had announce long ago that former staff can stay if they want for Aljunied.

Problem is most of these staff have connections to PAP either via NTUC, Grassroots or is PAP member.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Very convenient for sitoh to push the blame to EM when all he needs to do is to just say he wants the existing employees to continue their services at the town council. So easy to see through his intention
    EM is run by ex-PAP MP Ang Mong Seng who is CEO. They are all one gang.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/05...-town-council/

If any EM staff openly help Opposition parties, EM can conveniently sack them so that PAP no need dirty their hands.

Just like Geraldine Soh case whereby the GM of Town Council, Ho Thian Poh is a PAP member as well as MD of the Esmasco company that does services for the Town Council.

Ho Thian Poh claim termination was decided by Esmasco and not Jurong Town Council but he is MD of Esmasco. His reasoning is laughable.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3239467

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/05...geraldine-soh/

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/05...-soh-shin-lin/

http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralE...ry_667357.html

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...--Town-council

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...040629048.html

SPP protests termination of Potong Pasir town council staff

The SPP protests new MP Sitoh Yih Pin's (left) decision to axe 16 Potong Pasir town council staff. (Yahoo! …

The Singapore People's Party (SPP) has written to the newly-elected MP for Potong Pasir SMC Sitoh Yih Pin to protest the latter's termination of 16 Potong Pasir Town Council staff.

All except three of the staff were served one-month termination notice letters, and asked to re-apply for employment to Sitoh's newly-appointed managing agent, EM Services, which also looks after eight other town councils.

Under this arrangement, they may be deployed to any of the other town councils, and their employment conditions will also be subject to change, under the jurisdiction of their new employer.

In a letter submitted to the Potong Pasir Town Council's new general manager Ms Soh Chor Yin on Thursday morning, SPP second assistant secretary-general Benjamin Pwee said the change in management was not rational ground for termination to their contract of employment.

Pwee's letter also called for either reinstatement of employment of the staff, or an appropriate retrenchment or severance package.

About 30 members of the SPP also signed the letter, claiming that Sitoh had previously promised his Potong Pasir opponent Lina Chiam that he would "keep all the staff at the Town Council", and further, that he would honour his words.

In the recently-concluded General Elections, incumbent SPP candidate Lina Chiam lost the Potong Pasir single-member constituency by a slim 112 votes to the PAP's Sitoh.

On Wednesday, Sitoh Yih Pin said he had not promised to keep the staff and that he had instead told Mrs Chiam, "Since you asked, I will try my best to see what I can do," reported The Straits Times.

He also said offers of severance packages to the 16 retrenched staff were "fair" and that he would "follow all the employment rules."

But he also added that severance packages would have to come out from the town council fund, saying, "The town council funds belong to residents. My priority must be to ensure that the service standards delivered to residents are not compromised."

All 16 Potong Pasir Town Council staff have also been handed job application forms from EM Services.

Nine of which had been filled up and submitted to the company to date. The remaining seven are still deciding whether or not to re-apply, given that new employment conditions include a six-month probation.

Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.

Firstly, I want to salute all who voted CST over these 20+ years.
    They have the 'rocks' to withstand carrots and sticks from the Pappies.
    I to residents of PP and Hougang.

Now unfortunately, no point talking about Sitoh, CST, Lina.
    In the next Elections Potong Pasir will cease to exist on the Electorial map. Surely split into 3-4 parts. Good-bye Potong Pasir.

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    Firstly, I want to salute all who voted CST over these 20+ years.
    They have the 'rocks' to withstand carrots and sticks from the Pappies.
    I to residents of PP and Hougang.

Now unfortunately, no point talking about Sitoh, CST, Lina.
    In the next Elections Potong Pasir will cease to exist on the Electorial map. Surely split into 3-4 parts. Good-bye Potong Pasir.
    Its sad to see cst dun hf a successor

Maybe tactically he sld have given Benjie to stand in PP.
    Ah well, its over and perhaps it's time to have another set of voters to grow a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    EM is run by ex-PAP MP Ang Mong Seng who is CEO. They are all one gang.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/05...-town-council/

If any EM staff openly help Opposition parties, EM can conveniently sack them so that PAP no need dirty their hands.

Just like Geraldine Soh case whereby the GM of Town Council, Ho Thian Poh is a PAP member as well as MD of the Esmasco company that does services for the Town Council.
    Wonder what term to use for this type of action? Instead of ethnic cleansing, maybe we can called this workplace/political cleansing?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...093144023.html

‘Why did PAP’s Tg Pagar team spend so much on GE campaign?’

The Singapore People's Party (SPP) has questioned how the People's Action Party (PAP) Tanjong Pagar GRC team racked up S$164,000 in expenses during the recent GE campaign.

This even though the team led by former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew enjoyed a walkover in the ward after a no-contest.

The SPP contrasted this with the S$30,000 amount it spent on its election expenses for all three constituencies it contested -- Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, Potong Pasir SMC and Hong Kah North SMC.

In an email interview with Yahoo! Singapore, assistant secretary-general Benjamin Pwee said that half of the money spent went to brochures, posters and banners, while the rest went into rally and incidental expenses such as site rental, infrastructure and lorry rentals.

"We chose to devote our resources to walking the ground and talking to residents personally instead of relying on the more impersonal posters and banners," said Pwee.

"We also considered sending out 'voter education cards' as the PAP is wont to do before elections, but felt that it would be an abuse of the elections register to do so, hence we also saved on that expense," he added.

Pwee also mentioned that the S$30,000 used for the party's election expenses came entirely out of the candidates' own pockets, "with the more economically able members chipping in more".

He acknowledged the presence of funds raised from donations from the public, as well as from the sale of merchandise, but said that the team decided to direct the proceeds obtained from these avenues to the overall growth of the SPP.

On Tuesday, Today had reported that the Tanjong Pagar team -- consisting of former MM Lee, MP-elects Lily Neo, Indranee Rajah, new entrant Chan Chun Sing and last-minute addition Chia Shi-Lu -- had spent S$164,000 over the GE campaign because they had expected competition for the constituency.

Among the expenses included were printed sample voter cards for education as well as reprinted banners and posters following the last-minute deployment of Baey Yam Keng to the Tampines GRC team. Baey's place in the team was taken over by Dr Chia Shi-Lu.

When asked about the vast difference in amounts of resources spent and available to the Tanjong Pagar and SPP teams, Pwee expressed his hope that politics in Singapore does not gravitate toward a situation where the wealthier parties and individual politicians are able to secure the most votes.

"We hope and trust that... Singaporeans are discerning and vote for the party that will best listen and represent their voices, not the one that has the most funds to charter buses and provide free meals at rallies," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Wonder what term to use for this type of action? Instead of ethnic cleansing, maybe we can called this workplace/political cleansing?
    All these 46 years, we have been hearing such stories of NTUC, CCC, RCs, grassroots , Mendaki, CDC, CDACs, Sinda etc all link to PAP and instilling fear into Singaporeans.

Internet helps to confirm all these stories are true.

This is sick and shameful to Singapore.

I do not need PM Lee and PAP to apologise every election, just take steps to stop all these nonsense at ground level.

Instead of leading Singaporeans, PAP is terrorising Singaporeans instead.

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/...mise-says-spp/

Sitoh Yihpin not keeping his promise, says SPP

Mr Sitoh Yihpin has gone back on his promise, says the Singapore People’s Party (SPP).

Mr Sitoh, the People’s Action Party Member of Parliament of Potong Pasir, had assured the SPP’s Mrs Lina Chiam that he would retain 16 employees of the town council of the ward. But this is being disputed by Mr Sitoh who says that he has not reneged on his word.

After the May election results were announced, which saw Mr Sitoh beating Mrs Chiam by a mere 114 votes, Mrs Chiam had expressed concern for the town council staff’s employment prospects. She had then asked Mr Sitoh for assurance that he will continue to employ them now that he has won the elections and would be running the town council.

However, 13 of the 16 employees were issued termination letters last week, while the other three were offered employment in Potong Pasir Town Council, according to news reports.

When asked by the media why he was not keeping most of the staff, Mr Sitoh explained that since the town council has engaged EM Services to manage the town, he “has to abide by EM Services’ regulations.”

“It has its own way of doing things that is developed over the years,” he said, “which is why I adopt this system. My paramount interest is the Potong Pasir residents, so EM Services has to bring in its own people. I can’t compromise on standards of services I deliver to residents.”

The SPP is delivering a “request” letter to Mr Sitoh on 2 June to ask him to keep to his promise. In the letter, the party reminded him of what he had said to Mrs Chiam “in the morning of the day after General Elections”:

“Since you [Mrs Chiam] have raised this issue to me personally, I will keep all the staff at the Town Council. I will honor my words.”

Referring to the new arrangement which the staff will have to undergo with EM Services, the SPP said, “Under this arrangement, if they were to re-apply for hiring under the EM Services company and be accepted, they shall be deployed to other town councils and their employment conditions shall be subjected to their new contract with EM Services.”

The SPP wants Mr Sitoh to honour his promise to hire and retain the staff at the Potong Pasir town council. “Terminating them and referring them to reapply to be hired under a different employer – EM Services – is not the same as the promise to keep them,” the SPP said.

The party also said that there were no reason given to the staff on why their services were being terminated. Some of the employees had been working at the town council for five to ten years.

“Even if you did choose to go back on your word and terminate them,” the SPP letter said, “there has been no offer of appropriate and adequate compensation in terms of severance or retrenchment package for them.

We do not think this is a fair and equitable termination practice based on accepted industry and HR practice.”

The party asked Mr Sitoh to “reinstate all the staff back to the Potong Pasir Town Council or offer an appropriate retrenchment or severance.”

If re-employed under EM Services, these staff would have to undergo a six-month probation period and be subject to new contractual terms. Some of the council employees were concerned about this.

According to the Today newspaper, when asked about the probation period, Mr Sitoh said this was standard human resource policy for all EM Services staff. He added: “If they’re good performers, what’s the worry?”

You can read the SPP’s letter in full here.

--
    Be part of the community! Join our Facebook Page!

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/...-sitoh-yihpin/

A letter to Mr Sitoh Yihpin

Sophia Tsang /

First my congratulations at winning the recent elections. It was a photo-finish, but a win nonetheless. Winning the elections however, is not the same as winning the hearts and confidence of the people you represent.

I am a resident of Potong Pasir. I love this estate and the residents. Some people called my estate a slum during the election period.

Say what they like, there is so much charm in this estate – maybe precisely because we had not much money, and so we relied on the charm of the natural green trees, the meandering river and the kampong spirit.

Let me tell you about the kampong spirit. My house is in the middle of a block. My windows are constantly open.

To some, it means a lack of privacy – but to me, it gives me great opportunity to see my neighbours go by – to have a chat, if they have time, to complain about the weather, to share the excitement of the rallies, or simply just to wave and smile.

When my husband and I spent extended time overseas, they could be relied on to help my children in emergencies.

When we bake, or cook, we would just pass some on. Sometimes the ladies would just gather for tea, or sing karaoke at one of our homes.

Recently, when the PA organized a trip to Marina Bay Sands, neighbours gathered later to share photos and have a drink. But do you know what is amazing about all this?

The number who are pro-Chiam vs pro-PAP – that is, you – is about even. That is to say, in the households on my side of the lift, on my floor, we are split 50-50 in political allegiance.

Yet, we do not fight or argue. We are friends and neighbours, and in the spirit of democracy, we understand the choice is a personal one.

This is true not just of my group of friends. This is true of Potong Pasir. Mr Chiam has won many elections, but the last few fights were pretty close.

If you were to go to the coffee shops, I bet even on the same table, the votes are split.

That we enjoy so much camaraderie – just go to the coffee shops, and see neighbours having coffee, looking after grandchildren and simply having a blast – is testament to mutual respect, and in a way shows a respect for Mr Chiam and his work.

Hence for those who are strongly pro oppositon/Chiam, I feel that what is in order is to thank the pro-PAP residents for their many years of tolerance, and to thank the Chiams, who by their very gentle and compassionate nature, have helped built this sweet harmony that is the essence of the kampong spirit.

But coming back to you, Mr Sitoh. Yes, many residents are looking forward to upgrading and new facilities. Especially those who are old and find it difficult to climb steps or stairs.

I hope that you will do something quickly to help them. However, it is not a matter of sticks and stones, mortar and cement. To win the people’s hearts, you have to show you care, to show you hear.

Hence I want to bring your attention to the latest spat you are having with the Singapore People’s Party (SPP) regarding the 16 former Town Council workers.

Let it not descend to a “I said”/“You said” situation. I was not there when the entire conversation between you and Lina took place.

Unless someone had a recording, it is still a matter of my words against yours. That however is not the real issue.

The issue is to do the right thing by the people. It is not about simply recommending them jobs, if you feel bound by EM Services’ rules to terminate their employment.

Did you take time to hear them out?

Did you ask them how they might feel regarding working in a totally different environment, with new colleagues?

Did you check what their financial situations are? Are the terms offered by EM Services acceptable, given that they do have relevant experience?

Is there more that can be done for them? We are not talking legalities – we are talking about the human touch. Please note – I am not saying you did not – I am asking if you did.

The human touch is what makes Potong Pasir so different from many other communities.

While some are looking forward to the physical improvement of the estate, many others will be looking at how you treat your staff.

If it is perceived that you cannot treat 16 people with compassion, how can the almost 50 per cent who voted for Lina trust you to have compassion for their struggles or to be their voice in parliament?

Perceptions and impressions, once formed, are very difficult to change. I hope you will start right – or else I am afraid, the bickering may well descend to neighbours and friends, each taking sides.

May our kampong spirit remain.

———-

Picture from Alvinology.

--

After the euphoria of winning, maybe the true colour has appear.....

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...093144023.html

‘Why did PAP’s Tg Pagar team spend so much on GE campaign?’

The Singapore People's Party (SPP) has questioned how the People's Action Party (PAP) Tanjong Pagar GRC team racked up S$164,000 in expenses during the recent GE campaign.

This even though the team led by former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew enjoyed a walkover in the ward after a no-contest.

The SPP contrasted this with the S$30,000 amount it spent on its election expenses for all three constituencies it contested -- Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, Potong Pasir SMC and Hong Kah North SMC.

In an email interview with Yahoo! Singapore, assistant secretary-general Benjamin Pwee said that half of the money spent went to brochures, posters and banners, while the rest went into rally and incidental expenses such as site rental, infrastructure and lorry rentals.

"We chose to devote our resources to walking the ground and talking to residents personally instead of relying on the more impersonal posters and banners," said Pwee.

"We also considered sending out 'voter education cards' as the PAP is wont to do before elections, but felt that it would be an abuse of the elections register to do so, hence we also saved on that expense," he added.

Pwee also mentioned that the S$30,000 used for the party's election expenses came entirely out of the candidates' own pockets, "with the more economically able members chipping in more".

He acknowledged the presence of funds raised from donations from the public, as well as from the sale of merchandise, but said that the team decided to direct the proceeds obtained from these avenues to the overall growth of the SPP.

On Tuesday, Today had reported that the Tanjong Pagar team -- consisting of former MM Lee, MP-elects Lily Neo, Indranee Rajah, new entrant Chan Chun Sing and last-minute addition Chia Shi-Lu -- had spent S$164,000 over the GE campaign because they had expected competition for the constituency.

Among the expenses included were printed sample voter cards for education as well as reprinted banners and posters following the last-minute deployment of Baey Yam Keng to the Tampines GRC team. Baey's place in the team was taken over by Dr Chia Shi-Lu.

When asked about the vast difference in amounts of resources spent and available to the Tanjong Pagar and SPP teams, Pwee expressed his hope that politics in Singapore does not gravitate toward a situation where the wealthier parties and individual politicians are able to secure the most votes.

"We hope and trust that... Singaporeans are discerning and vote for the party that will best listen and represent their voices, not the one that has the most funds to charter buses and provide free meals at rallies," he said.

I stay in Tanjong Pagar GRC. Not quite sure that they spent on too. I didn't really see much happening around during the election for the residents

It is ridiculous to run a town council with just 3 staffs. 2 probable scenarios:
    1. New MP just wants to recruit his own people. No one will want to work w people from his namesis.
    2. PP town council's gonna merge with Bishan TP? PP will cease to exist as an SMC? Hmmm...
    Now that he's won, nothing else matters, right? Voters will not have a chance to vote him out again coz no more PP SMC.... Gan!

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    I stay in Tanjong Pagar GRC. Not quite sure that they spent on too. I didn't really see much happening around during the election for the residents
    Walkover also spend so much, no need even for rally somemore

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    It is ridiculous to run a town council with just 3 staffs. 2 probable scenarios:
    1. New MP just wants to recruit his own people. No one will want to work w people from his namesis.
    2. PP town council's gonna merge with Bishan TP? PP will cease to exist as an SMC? Hmmm...
    Now that he's won, nothing else matters, right? Voters will not have a chance to vote him out again coz no more PP SMC.... Gan!
    True, Gan waited so long to finally do his own thing.., surely must have instruction to cleanse the estate, 4 years to do this, then year b4 election, pamper residents a bit, then when boundaries are out, oh....now no more SMC..., u are right ....high chance disappear into the Bishan TP GRC..., signs are there....

True, Gan waited so long to finally do his own thing.., surely must have instruction to cleanse the estate, 4 years to do this, then year b4 election, pamper residents a bit, then when boundaries are out, oh....now no more SMC..., u are right ....high chance disappear into the Bishan TP GRC..., signs are there....
    The people of PP don't even have 5 years to repent... All gone.....

WP had announce long ago that former staff can stay if they want for Aljunied.

Problem is most of these staff have connections to PAP either via NTUC, Grassroots or is PAP member.
    what problem? so are they staying or leaving?

No lah. Last time Chiam See Tong do everything himself - so need to hire 16 staff to run the town council. Now under PAP, everything also outsource to other companies that very interestingly got some links to PAP members. So with outsourcing, they don't need so many staff lor. The money is paid to these "companies" for them to run the town council.

I think someone should investigate EM services and other companies. I dun think it's a mere coincidence that the owners of many of these companies are PAP members or MPs? Why is business channeled to companies owned by the MPs themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    It is ridiculous to run a town council with just 3 staffs.
    2 probable scenarios:

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    No lah. Last time Chiam See Tong do everything himself - so need to hire 16 staff to run the town council. Now under PAP, everything also outsource to other companies that very interestingly got some links to PAP members. So with outsourcing, they don't need so many staff lor. The money is paid to these "companies" for them to run the town council.

I think someone should investigate EM services and other companies. I dun think it's a mere coincidence that the owners of many of these companies are PAP members or MPs? Why is business channeled to companies owned by the MPs themselves?
    So much about transparency...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon

wow, thought must call for quotes to compare and select..., if never call for quotes and compare for best deals, like that kelong, residents short changed right...

Actually, the best if have residents who are running business dealing with such services that are needed by Town Council and if their price is competitive, then should award to these residents, make sense. If resident Boss company, never do a good job, easy for Town Council to call and ask them make good. May be ideal....thought should always think of residents 1st...

wow, thought must call for quotes to compare and select..., if never call for quotes and compare for best deals, like that kelong, residents short changed right...

Actually, the best if have residents who are running business dealing with such services that are needed by Town Council and if their price is competitive, then should award to these residents, make sense. If resident Boss company, never do a good job, easy for Town Council to call and ask them make good. May be ideal....thought should always think of residents 1st...
    And so it says in an ideal world but we're all living in a real world...

Quote Originally Posted by novel
    what problem? so are they staying or leaving?
    If you cannot even see what is the issue, then most probably you should not see a issue with the 16 staff staying at Potong Pasir Town Council under Sitoh.

Instead of retrenching these 16 staff and making them join outsourcing companies like EM Services.

We all know the behaviour of PAP grassroots, NTUC and PAP activists, letting them join WP Aljunied Town Council, they rather be jobless.

Even if they join, they will spread negativity among WP like what they did at Potong Pasir and Hougang for 20 odd years.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...82&topic=18283

Lester
    Aljunied old Town Council: A case of conflict of interest?
    Is this allowed???

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=39416

Aljunied old Town Council: A case of conflict of interest?

By Joseph Teo

In the Straits Times on Thursday 12 May 2011, on page A4, “Cynthia Phua promises proper handover”, the following was reported:

“Aljunied Town Council is now managed by CPG Facilities Management, with whom the town council signed a three-year contract last year. CPG managing director Jeffrey Chua is the town council’s general manager. As the town council managing agent, CPG engages the services of other companies for services such as cleaning, maintenance and lift rescue.”

While CPG Corporation Pte Ltd is the corporatized and renamed Public Works Department, it is not apparent whether Mr Chua, as the Managing Director of CPG Facilities Management Pte Ltd holds shares or options in the firm CPG Facilities Management Pte Ltd (which appears to be a subsidiary of CPG Corporation Pte Ltd) or its parent.

Regardless, I find it difficult to understand how Mr Chua can carry out both his duties as the general manager of the town council, and the Managing Director of the town council’s managing agent.

Suppose Mr Chua, the Managing Director of CPG Facilities Management asked for a higher management fee, in order to deal with the rise in the foreign workers’ levy, would Mr Chua the general manager of Aljunied Town Council grant that request?

If the town upkeep is poor, and HDB blocks are dirty, would Mr Chua the general manager of Aljunied Town Council replace himself as the managing agent?

It appears that there is a conflict of interest in Mr Chua’s roles. If he receives a stipend or salary from both organizations, on whose behalf would he act? If he only receives a salary from CPG Facilities Management, how can he then act in the interest of the residents of Aljunied GRC?

What I find extremely worrying, however, is that this matter only came to light because the Workers’ Party won Aljunied GRC, and there now needs to be a handover. If the PAP had won, would this unhealthy arrangement have continued? Are there any other such apparent conflicts of interest that we do not know about?

On the same note:

Jurong Town Council is Managed by Esmaco.

The General Manager of Jurong Town Council is also the MD for UGL Premas LTD for township management. Esmaco Township Management Pte Ltd is subsidiary of ULG Premas and managing Jurong Town Council.

Ho Thian Poh
    MD (Township Management) at UGL Premas Ltd

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...%3D321&h=5c086

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/...t-of-interest/

A conflict of interest?

In the Straits Times on Thursday 12 May 2011, on page A4, “Cynthia Phua promises proper handover”, the following was reported:

“Aljunied Town Council is now managed by CPG Facilities Management, with whom the town council signed a three-year contract last year. CPG managing director Jeffrey Chua is the town council’s general manager. As the town council managing agent, CPG engages the services of other companies for services such as cleaning, maintenance and lift rescue.”

While CPG Corporation Pte Ltd is the corporatized and renamed Public Works Department, it is not apparent whether Mr Chua, as the Managing Director of CPG Facilities Management Pte Ltd holds shares or options in the firm CPG Facilities Management Pte Ltd (which appears to be a subsidiary of CPG Corporation Pte Ltd) or its parent.

Regardless, I find it difficult to understand how Mr Chua can carry out both his duties as the general manager of the town council, and the Managing Director of the town council’s managing agent.

Suppose Mr Chua, the Managing Director of CPG Facilities Management asked for a higher management fee, in order to deal with the rise in the foreign workers’ levy, would Mr Chua the general manager of Aljunied Town Council grant that request?

If the town upkeep is poor, and HDB blocks are dirty, would Mr Chua the general manager of Aljunied Town Council replace himself as the managing agent?

It appears that there is a conflict of interest in Mr Chua’s roles. If he receives a stipend or salary from both organizations, on whose behalf would he act? If he only receives a salary from CPG Facilities Management, how can he then act in the interest of the residents of Aljunied GRC?

What I find extremely worrying, however, is that this matter only came to light because the Workers’ Party won Aljunied GRC, and there now needs to be a handover. If the PAP had won, would this unhealthy arrangement have continued? Are there any other such apparent conflicts of interest that we do not know about?

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...ct-of-interest-,,,

MPs: No conflict of interest ...

SINGAPORE - They are general managers accountable for the day-to-day administrative functions of town councils. Some of them are also employees of managing agents who win contracts from the town councils to service the estate.

This arrangement - known to occur in at least four town councils in Singapore - has raised the issue of conflict of interest in town council management.

At Aljunied and Jurong town councils, the respective GMs, Mr Jeffrey Chua and Mr Ho Thian Poh, in fact also hold the position of managing directors at CPG Facilities Management and UGL Premas.

CPG is currently the managing agent of Aljunied Town Council, although it is not clear if the agreement will continue following the Workers' Party taking over of Aljunied and the subsequent merger to form Aljunied-Hougang Town Council .

UGL Premas, meanwhile, is the parent company of Emasco Township management, the managing agent of Jurong Town Council.

To National University of Singapore business school associate professor Mak Yuen Teen, the first issue to establish is how the GMs of town councils are appointed. "Are they appointed after the facilities management company has been selected? If so, there would not be a conflict in terms of someone being put in a position to recommend or award a contract to his own firm," he said.

"There will, of course, still be the issue of who evaluates the performance of the facilities management company - it certainly should not be the GM of the town council if they are related parties," he added.

When contacted, former chairman of Jurong Town Council Halimah Yacob confirmed that was the case: Mr Ho was only appointed GM after the town council contracted Emasco as the managing agent. His salary is also paid by Emasco.

"The Council pays the managing agent the fee agreed upon under the contract which the managing agent uses to cover its costs of providing service to the council including staff salaries," she said.

Mr Ho is also not authorised to approve any tender, said Mdm Halimah, who is a Member of Parliament in Jurong Group Representation Constituency.

"We have a transparent and rigorous system in place where all tenders, including the appointment of the managing agent, are evaluated by the Tenders and Contracts Committee comprising Councillors. This committee's recommendations are then reviewed by the full Council," she said.

At Holland-Bukit Panjang Town Council, its secretary Albert Teng is also an employee of its managing agent, EM Services. Bukit Panjang MP Teo Ho Pin, who has been the coordinating chairman among PAP town councils, reiterated: "We must comply with the Ministry of National Development (MND) guidelines if there is a conflict of interest among our councillors or staff when tendering for contracts."

Still, given the close working proximity between the GM and the councillors, isn't there the chance of the committee favouring contractors of their own working partners?

An ex-town councillor at a town council, who declined to be named, said the possibility is mitigated by the diverse groups of people making decisions on the tenders.

At his town council for instance, where the general manager is in fact an employee of the managing agent, there would be at least 10 councillors in subcommittees making recommendations for particular contracts for a total panel of more than 40 councillors to approve.

Weighing in on the issue, the MND said there are safeguards within town council financial rules to prevent a conflict of interest, even as the ministry stressed that it monitors the award of tenders to ensure they comply with the financial provisions.

If a managing agent intends to participate in a tender for works or services called by the town council, the managing agent is required to declare its interest to the town council and is prohibited from participating in the evaluation of the tenders received, said a MND spokesperson, adding that the independent tender committee must ensure that the" tender specifications do not favour any particular tenderer."

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne...21-279923.html

WP to merge Aljunied, Hougang town councils

THE Workers' Party (WP) submitted a proposal to merge the town councils of Aljunied GRC and single-seat Hougang last week.

WP chief Low Thia Khiang told the Straits Times that it's easier operationally, and that they hope to achieve 'economies of scale in terms of tender of contracts, in terms of purchases made, in terms of projects, (and) hopefully we can get a better bargain'.

If approved, it will be chaired by WP's chairman Sylvia Lim, with Hougang MP Yaw Shin Leong and Mr Low as the vice-chairmen.

Mr Low also disclosed that some parts of the handover process, has not been smooth. The newly elected MP for Aljunied GRC said that they have been waiting since last week for the town council to provide key information on matters such as the list of service providers and its computer data system.

His team also yet to have a face-to-face meeting with the management of the Aljunied Town Council, which had cancelled a meeting scheduled for last Tuesday, according to Mr Low. His party has since turned to HDB for help.

According to the paper, Mr Jeffrey Chua, the Aljunied Town Council general manager, said he had informed the Hougang Town Council that it needed more time to compile the complete list of service providers. The Hougang Town Council has also been given the names of service providers whose contracts will expire in the next few months, said Mr Chua.

Meanwhile, Mr Low dismissed rumours that the Aljunied Town Council had stopped removing rubbish from HDB blocks in the estate. According to him, the WP found the estates to be well-maintained, after they went on ground inspections in the GRC.