Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Finishing

Default Discussion on Finishing

Since there are no thread on this area, lets all post here your experience with different materials for table tops, flooring, toilet finishing, kitchen cabinet systems, etc. Do share your lobang with contractors too.

i will get the ball started. Since i was on the other thread wit teddybear. So you guys feel different when u step on laminates flooring and parque? PPle tell me parque feels more comfortable and "softer". I can never tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    i will get the ball started. Since i was on the other thread wit teddybear. So you guys feel different when u step on laminates flooring and parque? PPle tell me parque feels more comfortable and "softer". I can never tell the difference.
    laminates got popping sound and feels hollow.....can nvr compare....NO laminates for me!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    those big big piece engineered timber flooring is da best.....gd for humid weather
    it falls under timber strip category since its big big piece?

laminates got popping sound and feels hollow.....can nvr compare....NO laminates for me!
    timber strips seems to be more popular now even for living room flooring. I got a friend whom timber strip the whole house.

Is engineered wood suitable for the balcony?

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    chengai is da best

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Balcony needs wood that can withstand rain and water, so usually use Chengai.

Quote Originally Posted by kane

Laminates: can have hollows, slippery when wet, feel artificial and too smooth and slippery.
    No such problem with timber strips & parquets, where both can have matt & semi-matt finish.

Living and dinning room - Marbles is the best! More beautiful & more variety than granites!

Bedrooms - large pieces of timber strips made of solid woods are the best!

Bathrooms and kitchens - Granites is the best! can withstand water and can can last.

Table tops - Don't need to think, Granites is the best! No solid tops please! get stained so easily!

Bathroom equipment & accessories (bath shower mixers, taps etc) : If you don't want water spots appearing within 3-6 months (seen that from other people's house, appearing 3-6 months after renovation), Hansgrohe and AXOR are the best bet! Other brands that can be considered are NewForm, etc.

Sanitary wares & lavatory tops : Personal preference, but I like TOTO! Other brands to consider are Ideal Standard, Duravit, etc. Never ever use those brandless ones! WCs can crack and shake when you sit on it (Yes, I have seen it before!).

Electrical appliances : Well, seem like the best and most well known is MIELE! Their equipment are very famous for their reliability (but unfortunately also notorious for their price!).

Since there are no thread on this area, lets all post here your experience with different materials for table tops, flooring, toilet finishing, kitchen cabinet systems, etc. Do share your lobang with contractors too.

Reposted here:

Don't think so. Do you see those solid wood table surface warp? No right? Good solid wood won't warp. I never see any solid wood flooring warp. Those you see are the compressed or engineered wood?

For sure small piece parquet can pop easily. I have seen that too often in landed properties where they used to use small pieces parquet for flooring of bedrooms.

These are not marketing difference but advantages in bigger piece timber woods vs small piece parquets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    bro, i not sure about parque..... but doesnt larger piece of wood warp easlier? That what contractors tell me..... the difference here is minute issnt it. Just that 10cm longer will be so much difference? Wood dont expand much ba, its a bad conductor of heat. Any bros here have them on your properties? I think the pricing is just marketing difference or positioning strategies.

I think quality of wood, perhaps teak will be preferred perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Living and dinning room - Marbles is the best! More beautiful & more variety than granites!

Bedrooms - large pieces of timber strips made of solid woods are the best!

Bathrooms and kitchens - Granites is the best! can withstand water and can can last.

Table tops - Don't need to think, Granites is the best! No solid tops please! get stained so easily!

Bathroom equipment & accessories (bath shower mixers, taps etc) : If you don't want water spots appearing within 3-6 months (seen that from other people's house, appearing 3-6 months after renovation), Hansgrohe and AXOR are the best bet! Other brands that can be considered are NewForm, etc.

Sanitary wares & lavatory tops : Personal preference, but I like TOTO! Other brands to consider are Ideal Standard, Duravit, etc. Never ever use those brandless ones! WCs can crack and shake when you sit on it (Yes, I have seen it before!).

Electrical appliances : Well, seem like the best and most well known is MIELE! Their equipment are very famous for their reliability (but unfortunately also notorious for their price!).
    granite for table tops look damn good

but i was told that its not suitable to be used for kitchen top as they are porous ( true ?)

solid surface ...yes stain easily but if diligently wipe them ...they can last very long

but dont use black solid surface ... they turn whitish over time

i use burmese teak for flooring.. long wide pieces .. durable, looks good and dont warp ...

Miele very ex ..but yes they are good

Quartz is suitable for kitchen tops. Has the looks of granite but is non-porous (eg Caesarstone or Stone Italiano). Safe from abuse by the maid. Cannot scratch. Cannot stain.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner

i use burmese teak for flooring.. long wide pieces .. durable, looks good and dont warp ...
    This is top of the range right!! i just read somewhere

This is top of the range right!! i just read somewhere
    yes it is expensive

you can go for the next best ...indonesian teak
    cheaper than burmese

also to add to the discussion

for kitchen top ....granite is very heavy
    and if your loer cabinets are wall hung ..it is not recommended ..
    if they are legged ... then still can support the weight

i wanted to use it for my master bath room sink ... 1m width and 2m long ... it was to be attached on one wall along the length ... but architect said not possible ...cos too heavy ... unless can attach along its length and one side of the width ...

otherwise i would have to have 4 legs for the cabinet below to support it ..
    as we didnt want legged cabinet ...so we forgo granite sink top

Not true lah. Granites also many types, some relative non-porous and can withstand water but more ex. Some people said must do "sealing" on top of granite so that it is water-proof, my ID say don't need lah as "sealing" masked the natural surface texture and in future need to do re-"sealing" very often. True or not? Granite can withstand abuse, as long as no acid pour on it can already. Got acid need to do polish liao (but very ex!).

granite for table tops look damn good

but i was told that its not suitable to be used for kitchen top as they are porous ( true ?)

solid surface ...yes stain easily but if diligently wipe them ...they can last very long

but dont use black solid surface ... they turn whitish over time

Miele very ex ..but yes they are good

Mine uses granite top for bathroom sink area, attached to wall on length and width, suspended. Asked ID will fall in future or not, they say won't lah as the lower cabinet got steel bracket support attached to wall.

yes it is expensive

cheaper than burmese

i wanted to use it for my master bath room sink ... 1m width and 2m long ... it was to be attached on one wall along the length ... but architect said not possible ...cos too heavy ... unless can attach along its length and one side of the width ...

yes it is expensive

cheaper than burmese

power!! 2m x 1m! this kind then call bathroom!! hahah

Anyone uses quartz for their kitchen top, it's suppose to be as tough as granite and not as porous as granite.

chengai is da best
    chengai do check with supplier if it's from matured tree or young tree, expect to pay more for "old wood" . I ended up using Ironwood instead.

Marble my favourite Volakas...drool...

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Mine uses granite top for bathroom sink area, attached to wall on length and width, suspended. Asked ID will fall in future or not, they say won't lah as the lower cabinet got steel bracket support attached to wall.

yes my archi did say if attached on one length and one width then its possible to be suspended

however mine does not ... only to be attached along the length ,,and 2m long ..too heavy ...

hence i changed material but maintained the design n dimension

Owners with marble flooring: how often do you polish your marble?

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Owners with marble flooring: how often do you polish your marble?
    whenever tenant changed

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    whenever tenant changed

hahha

true

my tenant asks to have the outdoor timber wood polished / vanished

How to make $ like that? I was referring to those self-stay owners. I notice not many people bother to polish. Dull marbles look bad.

How to make $ like that? I was referring to those self-stay owners. I notice not many people bother to polish. Dull marbles look bad.
    for marble flooring ....

its good practise to charge your furniture arrangement every 6 mths..

ever notice the marble under your sofa is 'whiter' than the rest of the floor ?

When i repaint, i will polish marles n varnish the timber tgt...oh ya, change curtains at the same time....

for marble flooring ....

its good practise to charge your furniture arrangement every 6 mths..

ever notice the marble under your sofa is 'whiter' than the rest of the floor ?
    I'm comtemplating marble flooring but it sounds tedious and expensive to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonjai
    chengai do check with supplier if it's from matured tree or young tree, expect to pay more for "old wood" . I ended up using Ironwood instead.

Marble my favourite Volakas...drool...
    Not good to use wood because most of them are illegally logged. This speeds up climate change and worsen the weather in Singapore. Soon, those low lying areas may be permanently water-logged and cause tropical dieseases to flourish.