Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013: Market crash or ghost towns?

Quote Originally Posted by rockinsg
    It won't sound funny in a year's time..
    BTW Am not singaporean..I just work here and there.. Like to move around.. But been long time struck (stuck?) in SG now.. looking to set permanent base now..

We are where best stuff is..SG is where growth is right now.. few year, growth somewhere else.. go there.. Never tied down..
    Neighbourhood go down, move on

I work on finance too...Play stock..and probably can do more calculations then u can..
    When u buy property u make downPayment..20% ..u lose money earned on 20% Payment for 3-4 years till TOP.. Plus u start paying interest even before TOP for what? Lose money lose money..and then when house rise 2% u get happy..
    After waiting for 4-5 years if get 2% return what big deal.. u pay more in interest and income lost..
    Problem with SG people is they think price only rise and rise 10% every year..not true... ask US guys.. its easy to go from undeveloped to developed country.. which SG is now.. where to go now? Only Downhill or stay static..

Companies not stupid..u see Guy in US ask for 90K..SG guy ask 140K cause can;t afford house.. company take US guy.. US guy still happy cause eveything cheap there...

Sg go down I go to US too.. take 90K.. u take urs overExpensive property and wait for renter and buyers
    No quite sure what your goal is? moving around to chase for the best stuffs or settle down for long term? You said both in your posting which is self-contradictory

If you want to move around, real estate at its best capacity is only an investment vehicle to you, so renting may actually make more sense for your. Since you mentioned that you work in finance, play stock, and can do better calculation, I suppose that you are a seasoned equity investor. To you real estate is not a good investment in the SG context as it requires (1) 20% down payment (2) pay interest before TOP (3) low return
    For completed properties, your complaint (2) is not an issue at all
    For any investments, initial cash outflow are common, can you invest in stock without any initial cash outflow?
    Residential properties potentially allow your LTV 80% which means 4x debt to equity, which may not be as high as what stock/Fx/derivatives can offer, but you also won't get margin call so easily. it is a give and take
    Have you ever come across any investment that guarantees you for high return? for every investment you need to do your own work and bear the result of your decision, profit or loss. Same rules apply to property investment. If you do think that SG property at most have 2% upside potential in the next 4-5 years, of course don't invest. In 5 years you may laugh at those who are bullish now, or look at them who earn reasonable returns from their property investment. Again, no right or wrong, your own decision

However, if you are looking to settle down at least for mid term, say 5-7 years, you may want to look at property differently, as it turns your housing need from an expense to investment. Since you can do good calculation, you must can do your math. Just one thing to bear in mind, there is no free lunch: you either pay your own mortgage installment, or pay your landlord's. Renting or owning is still your choice

One last thing I want to point out: are you sure you can move around so freely? Are you a US PR or citizen? Can you go to US and find yourself a job any time? Is there really a job that in US pay 90K but in SG pay 140K? I seriously doubt. Not sure what you mean by everything cheaper in US? do you mean housing? do you know what's the mortgage interest rate in US and normally what's the mortgage tenure there? Do you know what's the property tax rate there? the total cost of owning a house in US is not necessary cheaper than in SG
    After all, can you find any country in the world whose government is as friendly to foreigners as Singapore? You are free to leave any time, but it may not be easy for you to find something better

Quote Originally Posted by SpinCity
    Are you a US PR or citizen? Can you go to US and find yourself a job any time? Is there really a job that in US pay 90K but in SG pay 140K? I seriously doubt. Not sure what you mean by everything cheaper in US? do you mean housing? do you know what's the mortgage interest rate in US and normally what's the mortgage tenure there? Do you know what's the property tax rate there? the total cost of owning a house in US is not necessary cheaper than in SG
    There are other considerations to work in US
    taxes are the killer, income tax, sale tax.......all these will take away more than 50% of the pay depends on the state ur in

You are assuming interest rate will stay low forever..they won't in few years time.. 30 Year mortgage is a long time..2 year 1% won't help..

Renting - I can leave singapore if too expensive or goes belly down... Enjoy best of the whole world..keep moving to best locations... if bring too many FT crime and infrastructure will go bad anyway..
    considering your mindset, i figure u are not ready to invest in property ~

I work on finance too...Play stock..and probably can do more calculations then u can..
    actually, I am interested if you can make money than CCR.
    not particularly interested in esoteric calculations, statistical analysis and what not.
    Have one foreigner, Mr Stalingrad also claimed he make more in 1 trade and what other guys earn in 10 years (if memory serves me right).

BTW Am not singaporean..I just work here and there.. Like to move around.. But been long time struck in SG now.. looking to set permanent base now..

We are where best stuff is..SG is where growth is right now.. few year, growth somewhere else.. go there.. Never tied down..

When u buy property u make downPayment..20% ..u lose money earned on 20% Payment for 3-4 years till TOP.. Plus u start paying interest even before TOP for what? Lose money lose money..and then when house rise 2% u get happy..
    After waiting for 4-5 years if get 2% return what big deal.. u pay more in interest and income lost..
    Problem with SG people is they think price only rise and rise 10% every year..not true... ask US guys.. its easy to go from undeveloped to developed country.. which SG is now.. where to go now? Only Downhill or stay static..

Companies not stupid..u see Guy in US ask for 90K..SG guy ask 140K cause can;t afford house.. company take US guy.. US guy still happy cause eveything cheap there...

Sg go down I go to US too.. take 90K.. u take urs overExpensive property and wait for renter and buyers
    Ahhhh... I see... you are a parasite.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

[1] Yah right, why so stupid all those new launch buyers? I never buy new launch. I buy resale and start collecting rental from Day 1 after taking over the property (best those that already come with tenants locked in at good rental).

[2] Net 2-3% is just rental income and already much better than deposit of 0.1% but capital gain is good. It is no difference from playing futures/options/forex, except that property gain is more certain over the long term. Is it any wonder why many rich people prefer properties to futures/options/forex/shares etc? Why they so rich?

[3] I think from your this statement, you still cannot calculate well. Play stock? Too slow lah! If you can calculate well, you should be playing futures+options+forex, earn money fast fast (lose also very fast)!
    By the way, your uncle here play everything that can make money, don't care what are they - properties, shares, bonds, futures, options, forex, commodities, businesses, what else (as long you finance people can invent and I think I can make money I will invest/play. Lehman Mini-bonds or structured deposits? Get lost lah! Stupid to buy all those things with all those Terms & conditions! You think you finance people so smart we so stupid?)

[4] Well, because those US guys stupid loh! US so big, land so abundant, yet pay so much and take so much loan (95%)? Singapore at most 80% for 1st loan, 60% for 2nd loan. Sure no problem, + interest rate always much lower than US.

[5] You example is more like US get $140K and Singapore $90k? Even then, that US one only pocket $70k after tax while Singapore one still can pocket $81k after tax. That is a big difference after tax! So, US one earn more or Singapore earn more? I am sure US cost of living much higher than Singapore if you want luxury (e.g. can you employ a maid that work for $600 pm in US inclusive of govt levy to do house work and look out for your children at home?)

[6] No problem. Many people want to come to Singapore despite me charging them so high rental. The higher the rental, the more face and air they have! Got cheap rental condo and even rental HDB flats to rent and yet they also don't want! But my rental property only for people who feel that rental is cheap cheap lah (not suitable for you).
    Singapore welcome people who want to come. People want to leave are free to do so. It is just a free market. From the way you say is like you not happy paying high rental (not sure what is your high, is HDB flat rental also too high for you?), want to get out of Singapore for greener pasture but still cannot and temporarily got stuck here?

BTW Am not singaporean..I just work here and there.. Like to move around.. But been long time struck in SG now.. looking to set permanent base now..

[3] I work on finance too...Play stock..and probably can do more calculations then u can..
    When u buy property u make downPayment..20% .. [1] u lose money earned on 20% Payment for 3-4 years till TOP.. Plus u start paying interest even before TOP for what? Lose money lose money..and then when house rise 2% u get happy..
    [2] After waiting for 4-5 years if get 2% return what big deal.. u pay more in interest and income lost..
    [4] Problem with SG people is they think price only rise and rise 10% every year..not true... ask US guys.. its easy to go from undeveloped to developed country.. which SG is now.. where to go now? Only Downhill or stay static..

[5] Companies not stupid..u see Guy in US ask for 90K..SG guy ask 140K cause can;t afford house.. company take US guy.. US guy still happy cause eveything cheap there...

[6] Sg go down I go to US too.. take 90K.. u take urs overExpensive property and wait for renter and buyers

His 1 trade enough to buy him a MarQ@Paterson unit?
    Not sure whether he can even explain the margin required etc?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    not particularly interested in esoteric calculations, statistical analysis and what not.
    Have one foreigner, Mr Stalingrad also claimed he make more in 1 trade and what other guys earn in 10 years (if memory serves me right).

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    he is referring to me. Only missing factors is he doesnt know how much i make. but i m happy for him that he makes millions in 1 trade yet stay in a house that merely cost $1.5m-$2m. Opps it only cost him less than 1 m to buy. Meaning he is a damn humble man, is he?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    [1] Yah right, why so stupid all those new launch buyers? I never buy new launch. I buy resale and start collecting rental from Day 1 after taking over the property (best those that already come with tenants locked in at good rental).

[2] Net 2-3% is just rental income and already much better than deposit of 0.1% but capital gain is good. It is no difference from playing futures/options/forex, except that property gain is more certain over the long term. Is it any wonder why many rich people prefer properties to futures/options/forex/shares etc? Why they so rich?

[3] I think from your this statement, you still cannot calculate well. Play stock? Too slow lah! If you can calculate well, you should be playing futures+options+forex, earn money fast fast (lose also very fast)!
    By the way, your uncle here play everything that can make money, don't care what are they - properties, shares, bonds, futures, options, forex, commodities, businesses, what else (as long you finance people can invent and I think I can make money I will invest/play. Lehman Mini-bonds or structured deposits? Get lost lah! Stupid to buy all those things with all those Terms & conditions! You think you finance people so smart we so stupid?)

[4] Well, because those US guys stupid loh! US so big, land so abundant, yet pay so much and take so much loan (95%)? Singapore at most 80% for 1st loan, 60% for 2nd loan. Sure no problem, + interest rate always much lower than US.

[5] You example is more like US get $140K and Singapore $90k? Even then, that US one only pocket $70k after tax while Singapore one still can pocket $81k after tax. That is a big difference after tax! So, US one earn more or Singapore earn more? I am sure US cost of living much higher than Singapore if you want luxury (e.g. can you employ a maid that work for $600 pm in US inclusive of govt levy to do house work and look out for your children at home?)

[6] No problem. Many people want to come to Singapore despite me charging them so high rental. The higher the rental, the more face and air they have! Got cheap rental condo and even rental HDB flats to rent and yet they also don't want! But my rental property only for people who feel that rental is cheap cheap lah (not suitable for you).
    Singapore welcome people who want to come. People want to leave are free to do so. It is just a free market. From the way you say is like you not happy paying high rental (not sure what is your high, is HDB flat rental also too high for you?), want to get out of Singapore for greener pasture but still cannot and temporarily got stuck here?
    Yeah I can;t afford HDB rent either..cause am a bangla worked doing your constructions and cleaning plates after you.... Can't pay your rent lah..

US has direct taxes.. but SG has indirect taxes..unless u r one who live in HDB and take Mrt..If u like to stay in a condo and want to buy luxury car u r heavily taxed..luxury item is SG is taxed indirectly..u pay 250K for a car ppl can have for 50K in other country..how come its not tax? Buy big house in US for 300K.

Problem with US/UK is not taxes, but the safety and crime rate..
    My friends stay indoor after 8pm, cause so afraid of safety..

Property eurphoria can surely last..if all Singaporeans will earn atleast 100K by few years and prosper..

I can take a big house million dollar loan and stay here..but end of the day house is just place to stay in.. it don't have any economical value for me..

Problem is Singaporean are thinking house as investment vehicle to grow money... Enought said..can;t change

Short term everyone is thinking of selling in 3-4 year before interest rate rises..Cause u can always find someone more stupid..

I wouldn't even want to buy for long term.. in 10-15 year time people won't be a buyer, but seller.. population getting old.. all those banking on downgrading to get cash needed for retirement.. will sell house which will be super inflated by then and retire easy..

Problem is ppl fed with the thoughts of using House as a bank for retirement.. But at end of the day house is just a place to stay.

Its a musical chair going on.. nothing but a tulip mania.

Peace out

All the indirect taxes won't hit you in Singapore if you don't spend on them as all the indirect taxes are just luxuries. If you don't buy car you have ZERO expenditure on it. If you don't have the money to buy $250k car who ask you to buy? Can buy 1 $50k only still can drive from Pt A to Pt B, cheaper than the taxes you pay in a year in US! How about you employ a maid at house to do all housework in US? How much will that cost you vs in Singapore? How about you eat out everyday in US vs doing that in Singapore? Big house cost $300k in US? Some ulu places? Why you want big house in US when you can't even afford to employ a maid in US? You enjoy being a slave to do housework everyday? or it is so that you can stay at home everyday because it is cheaper than eating and enjoying out there in US? Don't need big house lah, you become Singapore Citizen you can also buy a newly built (HDB) apartment for $300k of about 100 sqm in Singapore, sufficient for a family of 4 to live in.

If there is tulip mania, the paper money you keep in the bank is just 1 big one, with US printing paper money, Europe printing paper money, Japan printing more paper money! Gosh!

I have more confident holding properties than the paper money! At least the aggregate total land in Singapore cannot be printed (and same in any other countries) while the paper money in US$, S$, Japan Yen, Euro are all being printed at alarming rate! Work harder! Good for you to hold on to their paper money that is so easy to print from their printers! Will be damn bad if nobody want to accept and keep their paper money anymore (just like the "banana money" in Singapore after World War 2)!

At least we also know that many emerging countries are reproducing more people and world population still growing (while the land still won't grow) and these people are moving all over the world, causing property prices to increase with their increasing needs! Smart people will continue to keep exchange that "banana paper money" for hard assets quickly for long-term keeping!
    Enough said. Why my hand so itchy and teach people to become cleverer? Have to start practising self-restrain (tie up my hands)!

Yeah I can;t afford HDB rent either..cause am a bangla worked doing your constructions and cleaning plates after you.... Can't pay your rent lah..

US has direct taxes.. but SG has indirect taxes..unless u r one who live in HDB and take Mrt..If u like to stay in a condo and want to buy luxury car u r heavily taxed..luxury item is SG is taxed indirectly..u pay 250K for a car ppl can have for 50K in other country..how come its not tax? Buy big house in US for 300K.

Property eurphoria can surely last..if all Singaporeans will earn atleast 100K by few years and prosper..

I can take a big house million dollar loan and stay here..but end of the day house is just place to stay in.. it don't have any economical value for me..

Problem is Singaporean are thinking house as investment vehicle to grow money... Enought said..can;t change

Short term everyone is thinking of selling in 3-4 year before interest rate rises..Cause u can always find someone more stupid..

I wouldn't even want to buy for long term.. in 10-15 year time people won't be a buyer, but seller.. population getting old.. all those banking on downgrading to get cash needed for retirement.. will sell house which will be super inflated by then and retire easy..

Problem is ppl fed with the thoughts of using House as a bank for retirement.. But at end of the day house is just a place to stay.

Peace out
    Last edited by teddybear; 16-06-11 at 14:44.

Peace out
    People around the world use property as investment vehicles. Do you know how many listed REIT/private property funds are there around the world? Do you know how many people in the states stay in rented apartments, which is an investment vehicle? Do you know how many people around the world own multiple properties and collect rent as their income? Of course property is an investment vehicle, not only in Singapore but in many other parts of the world, east and west
    Apparently, you have never lived in the states, or even if you had, most likely in a "sorry" neighborhood. Otherwise you won't think "crime rate" is "the" problem that US has.
    House is only a place for you to stay? I thought you say that you are after the "best stuff"? What are the "best stuff" in your definition? Bentley car, PP watch, and everything else but a nice place to stay in?
    Hope you know, and really mean, what you have said.

rockinsg... 10% return a year may be highly unlikely but 2% price gain over 5 years is also highly unlikely, given everything else remains status quo! Given all things remain healthy, 10% price gain over 3 years is a decent expectation. If economy downturns, everything also will be affected, stocks, gold, etc... so nothing to sing about!
    Last edited by ysyap; 16-06-11 at 15:02.

Don't teach lei. We need people to rent and finance our apartments.

Lets be open-minded shall we?

Most of us are property owners here. So of course we tends to be defensive when people attacked properties as an investment class.

let's hear what this guy has to say. Let us not be accused of group think.

So far In The context of Singapore from independence till now, clear cut, buying beats renting by a big margin... I rent out my fh property for 25 years and after that it's MINE..... Rockingsg obviously never stay in a global city like new York, London, hkg before.... Don't understand that talent, jobs, money flow to these financial capitals of the world sigh.....

R u all having alzhemier? Y u bit the hands that feeds u? This world got many ways of making $$$$ ma. This guy is good in other way thats good for him. he come here support Singapore we should be happy. He come rent our house, spend n help build our economy n contribute to our economy success. Whole world buy who rent? I hope those of u whom are rude realize u r hitting the hand that's feeds u! We need more global top talents to come here n rent our apartments n spend their top dollar so that this can be the biggest RARA show.

Teddy your 1 page essay is uncalled for u know.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    R u all having alzhemier? Y u bit the hands that feeds u? This world got many ways of making $$$$ ma. This guy is good in other way thats good for him. he come here support Singapore we should be happy. He come rent our house, spend n help build our economy n contribute to our economy success. Whole world buy who rent? I hope those of u whom are rude realize u r hitting the hand that's feeds u! We need more global top talents to come here n rent our apartments n spend their top dollar so that this can be the biggest RARA show.

Well, all kinds of comments can be found on this forum, bearish or bullish
    and they are all welcomed, as long as they are personal opinions, or some actual facts
    However, for those comments with obvious incorrect information embedded, I think it is better to be duly pointed out so other forumers won't be misled.

After all, rockinsg, you are welcome to stay here, please feel free to leave when you find somewhere better, congrats on the wealth you made from this island, and thank you for your contribution to this piece of land.

Oops... Sorry.... Don't buy rent.... It's bad to take such a big risk getting all money stuck in one illiquid asset... So better be liquid in these uncertain times... RockinSG I finally see your point of view... Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by linchong84
    Yah.. I guess your friend is talking about DBSS lah.. DBSS are blood sucking developments.. They are the same as BTOs but with some reno that maybe cost less than 20k.. But they cost higher than BTO by 200-300k..

But i guess this Tamp DBSS will break new grounds by costing 300-400k higher than the BTO that is launched beside it 2-3 weeks ago.. Somemore that BTO is bigger in size.. Such irony huh..
    So BTO at 3xxk should be affortable... why so much complaints from singaporeans? DBSS or EC aka condo should be left to the private developers and free market. HDB should just focus of primary housing.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    So BTO at 3xxk should be affortable... why so much complaints from singaporeans? DBSS or EC aka condo should be left to the private developers and free market. HDB should just focus of primary housing.
    Why Singaporeans complain?? Look at that sunday times article loh.. Because they cant get the premium location HDB.. Then they say they keep on fail in BTO balloting.. They are so choosy of course fail lah.. Then they also say 10 years ago BTO only 1xxk so why isit 3xxk now, and they curse HDB for raising prices of BTOs.. They forgotten their standard of living also improved throughout the 10 years..

They also feel it is a pain to pay housing loan for 30 years because they feel by then they won't have enough left in cpf for retirement.. This is the funniest thing loh.. i thought only ahgong ahma those era of people will still want to depend on cpf for retirement.. middle or younger generation should be savvy enough to know what is call savings, investment, insurance, hospitalisation plan etc etc.. Those people are just whining for the sake of whining lah..

I can understand when people say hdb resale and dbss are expensive.. But i can never understand why people can say bto is exp..

I can't stand People lies & spreading of false info like US pay lower than Singapore, costs of living Lower than Singapore etc. Who is he to bluff?
    Complain Singapore property rental too high? Then go Indonesia lor, can rent a house for $100 cheap Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    I can't stand People lies & spreading of false info like US pay lower than Singapore, costs of living Lower than Singapore etc. Who is he to bluff?
    Complain Singapore property rental too high? Then go Indonesia lor, can rent a house for $100 cheap Cheap!

Maybe his experience is so ma. He complain very expensive is okie one, because good things not cheap ma? Agree? Most important is complain finish Liao continue to live n work in this little red dot! I agree he shouldn't tie down his $$$$ in property n get best returns according to his skill set since he could move at any moment. make big $$$$ pay big rental no prob!!!!

The new dbss in tampines is really disgusting. How can it be > 700 psf when the resale are at most 400 PDF? Private developers should never have been allowed to sell public flats. More than a decade ago, there was the design and build scheme. They should have just stuck to them!!!

Why Singaporeans complain?? Look at that sunday times article loh.. Because they cant get the premium location HDB.. Then they say they keep on fail in BTO balloting.. They are so choosy of course fail lah.. Then they also say 10 years ago BTO only 1xxk so why isit 3xxk now, and they curse HDB for raising prices of BTOs.. They forgotten their standard of living also improved throughout the 10 years..

They also feel it is a pain to pay housing loan for 30 years because they feel by then they won't have enough left in cpf for retirement.. This is the funniest thing loh.. i thought only ahgong ahma those era of people will still want to depend on cpf for retirement.. middle or younger generation should be savvy enough to know what is call savings, investment, insurance, hospitalisation plan etc etc.. Those people are just whining for the sake of whining lah..

I can understand when people say hdb resale and dbss are expensive.. But i can never understand why people can say bto is exp..
    They shall go to HK to work and stay...and then they will realise how fortunate they are in Sg.
    Our GenY is getting to nowhere.....eventually they are not able to compete...sad to say

Quote Originally Posted by Fleur
    The new dbss in tampines is really disgusting. How can it be > 700 psf when the resale are at most 400 PDF? Private developers should never have been allowed to sell public flats. More than a decade ago, there was the design and build scheme. They should have just stuck to them!!!
    Hmm.. i know why liao.. downtown line 3 gonna build a tampines mrt interchange station somewhere there..

mah bow tan is one hell of a guy.. he planned 4 mrt stations in tampines before he left!!!!!! no wonder tamp voters didn't kick him out... the entire long orchard road got 3 stations only, yet tampines got 4.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Fleur
    and if existing hdb owners take the cue from the positive demand of sim lian's tampines dbss to set there own selling price, then they'll be no end to this price hike game. i still feel they shouldn't up the income ceiling. they need to price set DBSS and EC to reign the prices in.

and on the point of stocks and property. there's no one better asset class. if you have the dough, you should have BOTH asset classes. but the amount of crap listings with fraud et al has certainly tarnish the attractiveness of local equities as an asset class.

Hmm.. i know why liao.. downtown line 3 gonna build a tampines mrt interchange station somewhere there..

mah bow tan is one hell of a guy.. he planned 4 mrt stations in tampines before he left!!!!!! no wonder tamp voters didn't kick him out... the entire long orchard road got 3 stations only, yet tampines got 4.......................
    ang mo kio only has 2.

Only 3 rite? Tampines, tamp east n west

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Only 3 rite? Tampines, tamp east n west
    1st one: the current tamp E-W MRT station
    2nd one: the tampines central 7 downtown line 3 MRT interchange (around 600-700m away from the 1st one above)
    3rd one: tamp ave 7 next to TPJC
    4th one: tamp ave 4 next to TP

There's also one that is on the borders betw tamp and bedok at the FEO waterfront projects area.. haha

Bedok got 4 as well.

Bloody shitty MBT.. Now you know what is call self-interest..