Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMRT's charity show raised $2.7m, only 5k for legless girl

User Info Menu

Default SMRT's charity show raised $2.7m, only 5k for legless girl

[COLOR=red]Charity, after all, is just a show[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Strait Times Front Page News: Thai teen who lost legs set to go home[/COLOR]

Thai teenager Peneakchanasak Nitcharee, who lost both legs after falling onto MRT tracks in ANg Mo Kio, will go home tomorrow....
    The family has yet to fully settle matters here. Mr Peneakchanasak engaged a lawyer last week to look into getting higher compensation from SMRT. It had[COLOR=red] offered $5,000[/COLOR], which he has rejected.

[COLOR=red]Visibly upset - his voice broke at one point - he said the amount was 'unacceptable'. 'This is for a person, A LITTLE GIRL - A LITTLE GIRL who had a bad accident", he said.[/COLOR]

"From today onwards, there will be more expense, like the cost of her new legs and rehabilitation."

When contacted, SMRT said its discussion with the family are private and confidential.

[COLOR=red][B]Over S$2.7m raised for needy elderly[/B][/COLOR]
    [URL="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1133358/1/.html"]http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1133358/1/.html[/URL]
    SINGAPORE: By the end of the first Silver Tribute Charity Night on Sunday, over S$2.7 million was raised for more than 8,000 needy elderly and their caregivers from eight Voluntary Welfare Organisations.
    It is the first TV fundraising show solely for the needy elderly.
    Organised by SMRT, the three-hour show was aired on MediaCorp's Channel 8 on Sunday evening.
    The show featured retro Chinese music performed by artistes such as Lin Hui Ping, Lin Shu Rong, Luo Shi Feng, Wan Fang, and Chen Mei Feng.
    Popular blind singer Yang Guang from China also lent his voice to the show.

Senior

User Info Menu

Sickening... disgustingly sickening! $5K?

Go for Smallest Unit

User Info Menu

Should sue if there is a breach of duty of care. Otherwise, it's kind gifts.

Junior

User Info Menu

that girl is a foreigner, who can potentially steal Singaporeans' jobs. So good riddance to foreigners. No pity on foreigners who will steal Singaporeans' jobs.
    1 indonesian boy drowned, 1 thai girl going back.
    2 down, another 1.999.998 million more to go.

Junior

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Sickening... disgustingly sickening! $5K?
    2.7mil for 8000 singaporeans.
    each singaporean only $337.

1 foreigner get $5k.

You are very right, disgustingly sickening.

Junior

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    2.7mil for 8000 singaporeans.
    each singaporean only $337.

1 foreigner get $5k.

You are very right, disgustingly sickening.
    both cases r sickening....

User Info Menu

I am very disgusted by SMRT and the person whom made the decision to compensate 5K.

Seriously the person got bird brain? Why not chop his legs and compensate 10K?

Junior

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs
    I am very disgusted by SMRT and the person whom made the decision to compensate 5K.

Seriously the person got bird brain? Why not chop his legs and compensate 10K?
    you want MRT fares to be raised?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    you want MRT fares to be raised?
    I dont take MRT so I could not care less and that is beside the point.

5K for a pair of legs. and yet they went around on National TV preaching kinds Singaporeans to donate?! *PUI*

Junior

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs
    I dont take MRT so I could not care less and that is beside the point.

5K for a pair of legs. and yet they went around on National TV preaching kinds Singaporeans to donate?! *PUI*
    But majority take MRT. and there are other stakeholders, like shareholders for examples. Do you their EPS, DPS, share price be hit by eg million dollar payout. Or expect MRT to put signs in many languages?
    so you going to donate to help the girl?
    I won't.
    Accidents do happen to little children. It may happen to my own. Can only work to achieve financial independence for them if they cannot work for the rest of their life.

And lastly, there is moral hazard in giving out high compensation to those who lost their legs in accidents. Just like crime does not pay, accident does not pay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast