Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Balestier touted up-and-coming city fringe estate

Plus bales tier many many za people

Quote Originally Posted by CCR
    I think it's comparable you take ion as the focal point..... One north area is next to holland village so dontyou think distance the same?
    No offence, but if you think they are the same then you probably haven't travelled from Balestier before. Balestier is a rather long road, but if you take its mid-point, say the CTE entrance/exit, then it's really a five-minute drive. It's just Moulmein Road, then Newton Road, and you are at Ion. Less than five minutes if traffic is smooth. Even in heavy traffic (usually because of Newton Circus), it can't be more than ten minutes. And there're shortcuts through some of the private estates which take you to the fringes of Orchard and bypass Newton completely. Also, you must note that Balestier is in the middle of Singapore, whereas One Rochester is near the west, so even if the distance to the city centre is the same, Balestier is nearer to more of the rest of Singapore. Distance-wise, comparable areas are probably Tiong Bahru (via River Valley) and Alexandra (via Tanglin Road).

Balestier's current drawbacks are the lack of a local MRT station (must rely on Novena, Toa Payoh and the upcoming Marymount) and congestion/somewhat seedy environment. In the end, no part of Singapore is perfect so the question is whether it ticks enough boxes. Right now, at $1,500 psf, I am not sure it's worth buying into Balestier. But some of the older developments are still being priced at $900 psf which I think is very good business.

I like Pavilion 11, its at the nicer part of Balestier... so near amenities, sits on a hill, but prices are way too high in this cautious market.

Quote Originally Posted by cl0ver
    I like Pavilion 11, its at the nicer part of Balestier... so near amenities, sits on a hill, but prices are way too high in this cautious market.

many years ago ...we almost bought a unit at some condo in Ah Hood road ...

we actually liked it but i was very concerned with the traffic...

many years later ... the traffic conditions are still the same ...if not worse

how many years more before the traffic can improve ?

Quote Originally Posted by propertyguru
    No offence, but if you think they are the same then you probably haven't travelled from Balestier before. Balestier is a rather long road, but if you take its mid-point, say the CTE entrance/exit, then it's really a five-minute drive. It's just Moulmein Road, then Newton Road, and you are at Ion. Less than five minutes if traffic is smooth. Even in heavy traffic (usually because of Newton Circus), it can't be more than ten minutes. And there're shortcuts through some of the private estates which take you to the fringes of Orchard and bypass Newton completely. Also, you must note that Balestier is in the middle of Singapore, whereas One Rochester is near the west, so even if the distance to the city centre is the same, Balestier is nearer to more of the rest of Singapore. Distance-wise, comparable areas are probably Tiong Bahru (via River Valley) and Alexandra (via Tanglin Road).

Balestier's current drawbacks are the lack of a local MRT station (must rely on Novena, Toa Payoh and the upcoming Marymount) and congestion/somewhat seedy environment. In the end, no part of Singapore is perfect so the question is whether it ticks enough boxes. Right now, at $1,500 psf, I am not sure it's worth buying into Balestier. But some of the older developments are still being priced at $900 psf which I think is very good business.
    Thanks for your feedback. I do agree with some of your points, however there are certain things which might make Balestier unattractive to future condo buyers as follows:

(a) Overcrowded estate - Balestier is extremely overcrowded, by old buildings and old roads, and to top it all, by rowdy shops, bars and hotels, which sometimes remind us of the red light Geylang area. It is virtually impossible to remove this overcrowded buildings without affecting the roads/traffic as they are located so close to one another.

(b) Bad ambience - it does not have a serenity feeling which you can find in areas like Sentosa, East Coast, Orchard, Bukit Timah areas where there are large reservoirs of trees and plants and natural environments (eg. seaview, landscape, city views) that can make the place more resident friendly.

(c) Poor transport system - no MRT/road system still far from good due to bad traffic especially after working hours.

With these 3 things lacking, I dont foresee Balestier transforming itself into a prime estate anytime soon or in the distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Thanks for your feedback. I do agree with some of your points, however there are certain things which might make Balestier unattractive to future condo buyers as follows:

(a) Overcrowded estate - Balestier is extremely overcrowded, by old buildings and old roads, and to top it all, by rowdy shops, bars and hotels, which sometimes remind us of the red light Geylang area. It is virtually impossible to remove this overcrowded buildings without affecting the roads/traffic as they are located so close to one another.

(b) Bad ambience - it does not have a serenity feeling which you can find in areas like Sentosa, East Coast, Orchard, Bukit Timah areas where there are large reservoirs of trees and plants and natural environments (eg. seaview, landscape, city views) that can make the place more resident friendly.

(c) Poor transport system - no MRT/road system still far from good due to bad traffic especially after working hours.

With these 3 things lacking, I dont foresee Balestier transforming itself into a prime estate anytime soon or in the distant future.
    Oh, at no point was I suggesting that Balestier will transform into a prime estate. It will always be a poorer cousin to its neighbour, D11. What I was discussing were the merits of buying a property in Balestier for living/investing. For investing, the important issue is whether it is undervalued. That links to the livability of the area, which are points you have raised. I agree with the points you have raised, and will only point out that first, some people like serenity, but others like the rustic charm of Balestier. If you lived on Sentosa and felt hungry at 2 am, you would be hard pressed to find a place for supper within walking distance. Balestier offers that. The overcrowding is an issue of course, but then it comes with the territory. Put cheap food on the table, and people will crowd in. Second, I expect that people would never pay more for Balestier than they would for Sentosa despite these qualifications, but the question is whether at current prices, Balestier has more room to appreciate or if Sentosa has more upside. Sentosa is already selling for over $2,000 psf, so how much further can it go? I am not sure. What I do believe is that in the short term, if you find a property in Balestier under $1,000 psf, you are looking at a 20% upside in the next five years, with the new Zhongshan Park coming up and the government's plans to revamp the area (hopefully not too much). Sentosa of course has huge potential if this seaside living takes off, but within the next five years, there're major risks inherent in our property market (and the global economy).

Balestier is too overcongested with old buildings and rowdy looking coffeeshops. It reminds me of the red light Geylang area. However, the developers make extra effort to introduce modern trendy condos in this area to offset these negative points. It will take more than 10 years for Balestier to undergo a complete transformation.

Nevertheless, if I were to rank condo preferences based on the districts, the following are the order of preferences:

(1) District 9/10
    (2) Shenton Way/Tjg Pagar (CBD)
    (3) District 15
    (4) Sentosa/Harborfront area (D4)
    Sorry make a mistake, the following are the proper rankings as per earlier Real Estate Agent Seminar organised by Huttons in March this year.

Ranking Price $psf (highest) Average
    (1st) District 9/10 (Orchard/RV) 4,500 2,300
    (2nd) Marina/Shenton/ Tjg Pagar 3,300 2,050
    (3rd) District 15 (Amber/Meyer) 2,700 1,700
    (4th) Sentosa/Harborfront (D4) 2,500 1,600
    (5th) Bukit Timah/Holland Rd 2,300 1,400

Quote Originally Posted by propertyguru
    Oh, at no point was I suggesting that Balestier will transform into a prime estate. It will always be a poorer cousin to its neighbour, D11. What I was discussing were the merits of buying a property in Balestier for living/investing. For investing, the important issue is whether it is undervalued. That links to the livability of the area, which are points you have raised. I agree with the points you have raised, and will only point out that first, some people like serenity, but others like the rustic charm of Balestier. If you lived on Sentosa and felt hungry at 2 am, you would be hard pressed to find a place for supper within walking distance. Balestier offers that. The overcrowding is an issue of course, but then it comes with the territory. Put cheap food on the table, and people will crowd in. Second, I expect that people would never pay more for Balestier than they would for Sentosa despite these qualifications, but the question is whether at current prices, Balestier has more room to appreciate or if Sentosa has more upside. Sentosa is already selling for over $2,000 psf, so how much further can it go? I am not sure. What I do believe is that in the short term, if you find a property in Balestier under $1,000 psf, you are looking at a 20% upside in the next five years, with the new Zhongshan Park coming up and the government's plans to revamp the area (hopefully not too much). Sentosa of course has huge potential if this seaside living takes off, but within the next five years, there're major risks inherent in our property market (and the global economy).
    Yup agree with u on this point. If for investor, there will be an upside potential if he able to choose a good buy in Balestier.

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

http://www.todayonline.com/Business/...ices-catch-up?

Will Balestier prices catch up?

by Jo-Ann Huang Limin

04:47 AM Jun 14, 2011

SINGAPORE - The Balestier area is going through a makeover with swanky new residential projects and several hotels now lining its streets, attracting demand from young couples and professionals looking for a convenient city fringe property.

Still, home prices in Balestier are not rising as fast as other city fringe areas, although analysts say this trend may change once Government projects to spruce up the area are completed. These include new footpaths and a heritage trail.

According to data from the Urban Redevelopment Authority, home prices in Balestier rose 9 per cent year-on-year, compared with the overall city fringe price growth of 11 per cent. But Mr Satia Narjadin, director of developer Global Orion Properties is optimistic. The Viridian, a 23-storey condominium, is the company's maiden residential project.

Prices at The Viridian are going at S$1,550 per square foot - typical for new developments in Balestier such as The Interweave, SkySuites 17 and Okio Residences.

Analysts say the massive 420,000 sq ft Zhongshan Park hotel and retail project in Balestier will boost the area's attractiveness even further. JO-ANN HUANG

Quote Originally Posted by mr funny
    http://www.todayonline.com/Business/...ices-catch-up?

Will Balestier prices catch up?

by Jo-Ann Huang Limin

04:47 AM Jun 14, 2011

SINGAPORE - The Balestier area is going through a makeover with swanky new residential projects and several hotels now lining its streets, attracting demand from young couples and professionals looking for a convenient city fringe property.

Still, home prices in Balestier are not rising as fast as other city fringe areas, although analysts say this trend may change once Government projects to spruce up the area are completed. These include new footpaths and a heritage trail.

According to data from the Urban Redevelopment Authority, home prices in Balestier rose 9 per cent year-on-year, compared with the overall city fringe price growth of 11 per cent. But Mr Satia Narjadin, director of developer Global Orion Properties is optimistic. The Viridian, a 23-storey condominium, is the company's maiden residential project.

Prices at The Viridian are going at S$1,550 per square foot - typical for new developments in Balestier such as The Interweave, SkySuites 17 and Okio Residences.

Analysts say the massive 420,000 sq ft Zhongshan Park hotel and retail project in Balestier will boost the area's attractiveness even further. JO-ANN HUANG
    I believe Hiap Hoe and Superbowl (listed companies on SGX) are behind the Zhongshan Park hotel and retail project in Balestier

But no... I wouldn't pay the current obscene prices for Balestier

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    many years ago ...we almost bought a unit at some condo in Ah Hood road ...

we actually liked it but i was very concerned with the traffic...

many years later ... the traffic conditions are still the same ...if not worse

how many years more before the traffic can improve ?
    If no official complaints, then nothing will be done! Its the name of the game in Singapore. Sigh! Must have enough people making enough noise. Traffic conditions have indeed deteriorated over the years in this area and it will only get worse with that new buildings, etc! No point doing up that area if the traffic conditions remain status quo...
    Last edited by ysyap; 15-06-11 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    I believe Hiap Hoe and Superbowl (listed companies on SGX) are behind the Zhongshan Park hotel and retail project in Balestier

But no... I wouldn't pay the current obscene prices for Balestier
    Well I wouldn't pay those obscene prices too but should Balestier undergo that much talked about make over, will its price hit $2000 psf? Potentially so buying now does make that tiny bit of sense but my major bit of sense still has great hesitation....

Balestier is already a second favourite spot china chickens. The budget hotels there all make money by the hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Balestier is already a second favourite spot china chickens. The budget hotels there all make money by the hour.
    You seem to know the place pretty well!!! Good for you!!!

Can remake all you want but if the budget hotels still there then can only remake into high class red light district lol.... At 1500+ psf might as well buy holland road, farrer road, red hill... Aren't this district better?

Give it another 3 years then we'll judge it again... don't really believe that anything good will result... biggest problem is still the traffic conditions! Second problem is the proximity between condo buildings is simply too too close for comfort! No view except into one another's living rooms and bedrooms!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Give it another 3 years then we'll judge it again... don't really believe that anything good will result... biggest problem is still the traffic conditions! Second problem is the proximity between condo buildings is simply too too close for comfort! No view except into one another's living rooms and bedrooms!
    The road there is a bit narrow, I agree. Hope they can come out something fast as this location is near to city also, what a waste

I can see geylang traditional business going downhill due to the raids. Where do these businesses go to? I think balestier should be one of the new growth areas.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    I can see geylang traditional business going downhill due to the raids. Where do these businesses go to? I think balestier should be one of the new growth areas.
    Geylang got good food and cheap hotels. Balestier also got good food and cheap hotel! See the resemblence?

i always hold this belief...

you give it an Ang moh name .. it will gain crowd ..

Balestier sounds more ang moh than Geylang

Zhongshan park = attract china crowd

weighing all the + and - .... balestier will be hard to become very popular ..

agree with most ... that narrow road is a big issue ...
    how to wide ? tear down the front row of shop houses ?
    then it loses one of its major attractions

so it will be a difficult decision ..

if i have to buy something .. it will be closer to thomson road end of the balestier road

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    i always hold this belief...

you give it an Ang moh name .. it will gain crowd ..

Balestier sounds more ang moh than Geylang

Zhongshan park = attract china crowd

weighing all the + and - .... balestier will be hard to become very popular ..

agree with most ... that narrow road is a big issue ...
    how to wide ? tear down the front row of shop houses ?
    then it loses one of its major attractions

so it will be a difficult decision ..

if i have to buy something .. it will be closer to thomson road end of the balestier road
    I agree. The key to good value, in my view, is to pay D12 prices and enjoy D11 neighbourhood. Balestier is still cheaper than Novena, but if you purchase a place sufficiently near Thomson Road, you are still paying Balestier prices but you will enjoy the quieter environment of Thomson (only one budget hotel on that end). I see no point, on the other hand, of paying $1,500 psf for a place in the middle of Balestier Road, where you will be subjected to traffic congestion and noise pollution. There are good buys in bad districts, and bad buys in good districts, so it may not be proper to generalise about a district in its entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    why beacon height cannot move?? freehold but transacted slightly above $1000psf.
    I also want to know why cannot move. Looks quite nice but somehow people shun it. Maybe St. Michael too congested and traffic bad.

Quote Originally Posted by solsys
    I also want to know why cannot move. Looks quite nice but somehow people shun it. Maybe St. Michael too congested and traffic bad.
    Motorcycle shops, really bad traffic, old shophouses, dilapidated warehouses, plusresidents there not of the highest quality.... Hence cannot sell....

Wait for that road construction to be completed then it'll be much better road conditions. Then again Beacon Hts is simply too deep a walk in.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Wait for that road construction to be completed then it'll be much better road conditions. Then again Beacon Hts is simply too deep a walk in.
    After walking so deep in, u find itself right next to e busy CTE instead of greenery n peace.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    After walking so deep in, u find itself right next to e busy CTE instead of greenery n peace.
    Hahaha.. you are so right!

got water view leh.... on the ground.. long long one. Duno got fish or not.

Sorry make a mistake, the following are the proper rankings as per earlier Real Estate Agent Seminar organised by Huttons in March this year.

Ranking Price $psf (highest) Average
    (1st) District 9/10 (Orchard/RV) 4,500 2,300
    (2nd) Marina/Shenton/ Tjg Pagar 3,300 2,050
    (3rd) District 15 (Amber/Meyer) 2,700 1,700
    (4th) Sentosa/Harborfront (D4) 2,500 1,600
    (5th) Bukit Timah/Holland Rd 2,300 1,400
    Does this ranking apply to condos only or landed property too? Would be interesting to know how the landed properties rank.
    And it's quite surprising to see D15 so high up there, even above Sentosa and Bukit Timah/Holland? Really?

Default Balestier the budget conscious man's Orchard?

More expats looking at Balestier for affordable homes

Jul 9, 2012 - PropertyGuru.com.sg

By Romesh Navaratnarajah:

Homes in Balestier are becoming a preferred choice for buyers, especially among expatriates who cannot afford to buy expensive city centre properties.

While units in Balestier are usually 20 percent more affordable than nearby prime areas, they are still fairly central. In the past year, new condos such as Nova 88 have been built in the area supplying over 400 new homes.

Chia Siew Chuin, Director of Research and Advisory at Colliers International, revealed that another 1,400 new homes are expected to be ready in the vicinity by 2015.

As a sign of healthy property sales, Far East Organization’s Vista Residences (pictured) at Jalan Datoh has eight units remaining – four-bedroom penthouses are going at S$4.3 million or S$1,800 psf.

Launched last year, EL Development’s Skysuites 17 has only one penthouse left.

Chia added that rents in Balestier have also inched up this year. On average, monthly rents stood at S$3.35 psf in April and May, higher than December’s S$2.98 psf.

As for freehold condos, resale prices are 15 to 20 percent lower than in Novena and seven to 10 percent less than in Toa Payoh, noted Ong Kah Seng, Director at R'ST Research.

Meanwhile, more investors and expats are looking at shoebox units, especially small to mid-sized condos such as Okio.

Over at Skysuites 17, investors accounted for about half of the buyers and around 40 percent of the units are sized below 500 sq ft, noted Lim Yew Soon, Managing Director at EL Development.

Experts attribute Balestier’s appeal to its good food, old world charm and attractions.