Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JB supper trip turns into nightmare for 2 women

So what can Singapore authority do about such cases? Advise the women to let it go? Hmmm.... very sensitive leh!

Vivian tested by recent flood.
    Now new foreign minister(who?) tested by this incident. Will he set up expert committee on how to handle foreign affairs?

If if in Singapore, inviting urself into a property if its door is open w/o e owner's consent is call a serious trespassing offense. Hmm what r they thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    If if in Singapore, inviting urself into a property if its door is open w/o e owner's consent is call a serious trespassing offense. Hmm what r they thinking.
    If drag into court, then the court will surely accertain that these 2 ladies did not have the intention to sneak into the country otherwise they'd driven off instead of guai guai coming back to have their passports stamped! But I seriously doubt it'll escalate till court!

More than meets the eye.

They are doing anti drug smuggling checks on them.

Supper plenty in Singapore, 2 women... Got interest to go for adventure? Might as well walk up the cemetry grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by solsys
    Lol, they got more than they wanted. But seriously, unmanned lane is really uncalled for. If go thru lane and officer never stamp still can forgive but this one is really tough.
    These counters are for Malaysian passport holders. They don't need to scan and stamp on their passport (sometimes).

DAP says nude squat case ‘humiliating’, demands Home Ministry response

The Malaysian Insider – Tue, Jun 14, 2011

Related Content

By Shazwan Mustafa Kamal

KUALA LUMPUR, June 14 — The DAP has demanded that the Home Ministry respond to reports that two Singaporean women were handcuffed and made to do squats naked by Malaysian immigration officials.

Ipoh Barat MP M Kulasegaran said that the act was “humiliating” and “ridiculous,” while Bakri MP Er Teck Hwa said the incident would give other countries the perception that Malaysia was a “lawless” country.

“You cannot do this, why subject these women to this form of interrogation, it is humiliating,” Kulasegaran told The Malaysian Insider.

Batu Gajah MP Fong Po Kuan had brought the matter up earlier to deputy home minister Datuk Abu Seman Yusop, but Abu Seman had declined to offer a response as Fong’s question was not included in the list during question time.

“I tried to bring it up, but the deputy minister did not answer [my question],” Fong told The Malaysian Insider.

“People won’t want to come to our country anymore if this kind of practice occurs ... this will affect the country’s image as a tourist destination.

“The Home Ministry must give a response, they must investigate what happened,” Er added.

Two Singaporean women who drove to Johor Baru for supper were questioned by Malaysian immigration officials, handcuffed, thrown behind bars and made to do squats while naked, the Singapore Straits Times reported today.

The two women said they had driven into Johor Baru without getting their passports stamped, through an unmanned immigration lane.

Following their punishment, they were allowed to return to Singapore after 48 hours with a warning.

Now back in Singapore, both women say they will never go back to Malaysia.

Malaysia election is coming? This issue is being politicised there. So many typo using my current hp Going to change it soon...

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Malaysia election is coming? This issue is being politicised there. So many typo using my current hp Going to change it soon...
    Always interesting to watch such progressions in the news!

I don't know whether they film those naked squats coz last time a muslim woman was made to do squats and it was filmed. I think the squats is humiliating and this is no way to treat singaporeans. If the girls wanted to smuggle, they have already succeeded and need not turn back to explain this and that. I think these malaysian immigration officers don't have much of a brain

Very strange... these custom officers accuse the 2 ladies of attempts to smuggle stuff so caught them but did they even attempt to arrest their systemic loop hole of allowing foreigners into their country unchecked, as pointed out by the two ladies?

If they are serious about smuggling activities and not allowing unauthorized entry into the country, they should also pay attention to the warnings issued by these 2 ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I don't know whether they film those naked squats coz last time a muslim woman was made to do squats and it was filmed. I think the squats is humiliating and this is no way to treat singaporeans. If the girls wanted to smuggle, they have already succeeded and need not turn back to explain this and that. I think these malaysian immigration officers don't have much of a brain

i am sure in the singapore changi prison

the male convicts aer stripped as well ... anal check too ...

so how ?

not humiliating ?

i think sporean women really must go NS lah ...

so they go spa wearing clothes?
    also naked right ?
    squat down to rub the feet ... then ears itchy ... pulling them a bit

same same mah ...

or should they use dogs to sniff their ...err you know where ? if they cannot be stripped ?

just becos we are sporeans and the 2 women kana this thing ... it becomes a big deal

we havent even really know why they go JB supper at 1.35 am , planned to polish car some more at those hrs ...

i really dont believe them

at the end of the day ... if you go to ANY country ... get thru the custom with a chop ... walk back and say they got thru by mistake ...what do you think that makes of the custom ?
    you want them to admit they are sleeping ?

getting a chop is basic knowledge at any custom

if I drove in and no one at the booth , i would have reverse out and use another lane ...

why didnt they ?

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Very strange... these custom officers accuse the 2 ladies of attempts to smuggle stuff so caught them but did they even attempt to arrest their systemic loop hole of allowing foreigners into their country unchecked, as pointed out by the two ladies?

If they are serious about smuggling activities and not allowing unauthorized entry into the country, they should also pay attention to the warnings issued by these 2 ladies!
    then again

if anyone walks thru spore customs without a chop ... will he be simply asked to go back to the line and get it chopped ?

sure kana arrested right ?

the first thing ANY police will think is : illegal entry ... hand cuff you first ...

what the malaysian police did in the first place is not wrong ..

what happens in the room is another issue ...

just becos no one from spore prison ever come out and complain , doesnt mean ours are doing all the right thing ..am i right ?

all prisons are dirty ..

if spore demands malaysia for an explanation
    then we should also demand that ..men accuse of rape/molest ..should never have their pictures and name published until convicted

cos if they are innocent ...then they are also humiiated right ?

worst...many innocent men lost the jobs / friends etc ..

Singaporeans shld boycott Malaysia if they don't have pressing needs to go there and send a clear message to these jokers to stop messing with us.
    I don't understand why people are so desperate to go there just to save a few bucks. Where's your pride & dignity people?
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw
    Singaporeans shld boycott Malaysia if they don't have pressing needs to go there and send a clear message to these jokers to stop messing with us.
    I don't understand why people are so desperate to go there just to save a few bucks. Where's your pride & dignity people?

to me ... JB is nothing special ... except for the food... some of the small restuarants food , or even the hawker food...damn good...

but i wont go there to repair , polish car etc ...

ever consider ourselves lucky ?

i have been to so many airports... US, EUROPE, Scandinavia, Asia, Asia pacific ... i pity the darker skin colored people ... all kana check like crazy

even in our own changi airport .. always kana ask to open luggage ...

i pity them ...

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    i have been to so many airports... US, EUROPE, Scandinavia, Asia, Asia pacific ... i pity the darker skin colored people ... all kana check like crazy

even in our own changi airport .. always kana ask to open luggage ...

i pity them ...
    you are very right. When choosing lanes at immigration, I join the queue with the most angmo and the least dark skin. Sure faster to clear immigration. sad but it's a fact of life.

We can only name and shame to put a stop to selective bullying. That's all there is to understand.

The saga continues. What ridiculous things can we expect from the Johor Immigration report? Malaysian opposition parties have also jumped into the fray. Naked women, men in uniforms and politicians make a potent and explosive mix indeed!

Jun 15, 2011, ST

S'pore asks Malaysia about two women's ordeal in JB

Making suspects do squats is not standard procedure: Johor official

By Tham Yuen-C
    SINGAPORE'S Foreign Affairs Ministry has asked the Malaysian immigration authorities for more information on the treatment of two Singaporean women detained for nearly 48 hours in Johor Baru.
    The women - who wanted to be known only as Ms Chang and Ms Lim - told The Straits Times that they were handcuffed, thrown behind bars and forced to undress and perform squats.
    Their nightmare happened after they accidentally entered Johor Baru without getting their passports stamped, by driving through what they said was an unmanned immigration lane.
    'Our consulate in JB has been in touch with the Malaysian immigration authorities to enquire on the investigation and detention procedures that the two Singaporeans underwent,' said a Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman.
    Ms Chang, an insurance industry manager in her late 30s, and Ms Lim, an estate agent in her late 20s, met up with consular officers here yesterday to recount their ordeal.
    They had driven across the Causeway for a snack in the early hours of last Thursday. After realising they had accidentally gone straight through immigration, they immediately did a U-turn.
    They said they were questioned by immigration officers, and then taken to the Pekan Nenas detention centre in Pontian where they were ordered to strip and do 10 squats each.
    Yesterday, Johor Immigration director Nasri Ishak told The Straits Times that it had finished investigating the incident. 'We in Johor have already prepared a report and that report was sent to the headquarters,' he said.
    He declined to elaborate on the women's treatment, but was quoted in Malaysia's The Star newspaper as saying that making suspects perform squats was not standard procedure.
    'Removing clothes, however, is sometimes needed as it is essential for our officers to ensure that the detainees are not hiding any weapons,' he was quoted as saying.
    Malaysian Home Ministry director-general Mahmood Adam said when contacted that the immigration department would issue a statement soon.
    Yesterday, Ms Chang said she and Ms Lim would be lodging a formal complaint with the Malaysian High Commission in Singapore. 'What we went through was not right,' she said.
    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it would bring the complaint to the attention of the High Commission as soon as it received it.
    Meanwhile, the incident has caused a furore among Members of Parliament from the Democratic Action Party in Malaysia.
    Ipoh Barat MP M. Kulasegaran called the women's treatment 'humiliating' and 'ridiculous', reported The Malaysian Insider website. 'You cannot do this. Why subject these women to this form of interrogation? It is humiliating,' he was quoted as saying.
    Seputeh MP Teresa Kok called for the officers involved to be punished, saying: 'It makes Malaysia look barbaric.'
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    you are very right. When choosing lanes at immigration, I join the queue with the most angmo and the least dark skin. Sure faster to clear immigration. sad but it's a fact of life.
    If all driving, you can never tell which queue has more angmo. I'll join the queue with least number of heads popping out in the silhouette. Less time to chop less passports... oh i forgot, its biometric system now!

how malaysian politicians, even if opposition, makes noise?

Singapore politicians, both sides, seems to keep quiet. GE over already, so no points to score?

M’sia Immigration: Women's explanation 'suspicious'

By Jeanette Tan | SingaporeScene – Tue, Jun 14, 2011

Alleged case of mistreatment at M'sia Customs: Which side to believe? (File photo)

By Jeanette Tan and Faris Mokhtar
    UPDATE

Malaysia's Immigration Department has questioned the version of events given by the two Singaporean women who alleged they were mistreated by immigration officials in Johor Bahru, labelling their explanation "suspicious".

In a statement obtained by Yahoo! Singapore, Immigration Department Director-General Alias bin Ahmad confirmed the two women were arrested last week under the Immigration Act for not having valid passes for entry into Malaysia.

The duo could have been fined RM10,000 or jailed up to five years and caned six times.

Datuk Alias said the women's earlier explanation that they were unsure of immigration procedures at the Customs checkpoint was suspicious because "both passports showed that both had been to Malaysia a number of times."

His statement added their most recent visits were on 31 July 2010 and April 6 this year. As such, the statement said their allegation that there was no immigration officer at the check-in counter was "not reasonable".
    In addition, the statement said "all 38 counters were fully open to the public" on the day.

In earlier reports, the two Singaporean women -- Lim Lili and Zhan Tingting (not their real names) -- claim the lane they had entered was unmanned.

In particular, Miss Lim said she had been to JB many times with her friends but it was her first time driving across the Causeway. Also because it was her first time experiencing the new biometric scanner at the counter, the estate agent in her 20s said she tried using the intercom to ask an officer for help.

After waiting for five minutes, they decided to move on without getting their passports stamped but after realising their mistake, they returned to the customs checkpoint but were subsequently arrested and sent to a nearby detention centre. There, they were ordered to strip and do squats in the nude.

The statement said the women's treatment at the detention centre was according to "standard operating procedures" as required for admission of new prisoners. This includes a "thorough examination of the body of the new detainees to ensure that no prohibited goods were hidden in body parts".

The examination, it said, was conducted by an on-duty female officer in a room in accordance with the standard procedures. The case was referred to the Deputy Public Prosecutor, who finally decided to let the women off with a stern warning the next day.

Meanwhile, both women are set to file an official complaint against the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

A spokesperson from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) told Yahoo! Singapore on Tuesday night that the two women had met its consular officers and that they wanted to lodge a formal complaint to the Malaysian High Commission. It's understood the MFA will help forward the complaint.

The spokesperson added its consulate in Johor Bahru has also contacted Malaysian immigration authorities to inquire on the immigration and detention procedures the women were subjected to.

However, other representatives from within the Immigration Department headquarters in Kuala Lumpur that Yahoo! Singapore spoke to said the two women could have "blown the story out of proportion".

A public relations officer, who wanted to be known only as Haidir, said the two ladies should have waited at the immigration counter for an officer to assist them, even if the booth was unmanned.

Otherwise, they should have approached any of the other officers in adjacent lanes, he added.

"It is common sense for one to get his or her passport stamped upon crossing the Causeway," said another immigration officer at the
    Immigration of Johor State headquarters.

"Just like Singapore, you need to get your passport stamped before you enter the country; if not, you will be arrested... so it is the same procedure in Malaysia," said the officer, who declined to be named.

Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.

I strongly agree with acidic.straw...
    Lets cut off from Malaysia by the following ways:
    1) Stop drinking water as most of the water from Malaysia
    2) Stop eating vege and meat as most of the food imported from Malaysia
    3) Fire all factory worker, low skill worker and even white collar managment personel as many of them are Malaysian
    4) Lets go to indonesia, india or phillipine instead of Malaysia..or dig a hole in Bukit timah hill and hide inside..

I think you can keep your pride and dignity by doing so....

Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw

mutual gain lah. Prosper thy neighbour, prosper thyselves. Peace~

Here is just one of the many disputes between the two countries over the last many many years lah! No big deal... it will be over in no time!

it is true that it is not a big deal. it can happen any place and any country. what is this to do with the pride and dignity. W/o singaporean/singapore, JB is a dead town. W/o Malaysia/Malaysian, Singapore wont be so successful...This is just one off incident

With globalisation, nobody can say they dont deal with/go to specific country or ppl..

Even suzhou industry park was eaten by PRC government, can singapore government stop import chinese worker or going to china to do business...

Go out to have a walk, dont just stay at home...

Quote Originally Posted by kskong2000
    I strongly agree with acidic.straw...
    Lets cut off from Malaysia by the following ways:
    1) Stop drinking water as most of the water from Malaysia
    2) Stop eating vege and meat as most of the food imported from Malaysia
    3) Fire all factory worker, low skill worker and even white collar managment personel as many of them are Malaysian
    4) Lets go to indonesia, india or phillipine instead of Malaysia..or dig a hole in Bukit timah hill and hide inside..

I think you can keep your pride and dignity by doing so....
    Steady la fren...no need to be sarcastic.....just need to rant becos at the end of the day, our neighbour will continue to do as they please
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

The girl's side of story:
    At the Malaysian immigration side of the Causeway, they drove into a lane that was not manned. 'There wasn't anyone at the station and the green light was on,' said Ms Lim. 'I pressed the intercom and couldn't hear anything because of the static, so I just continued driving when the barrier opened.'

Why don't the authorities replicate the incident?
    green light, press intercom, does the barrier opened?

1) yes. then it is computer system fault and immigration officer fault for leaving station unattended.

2) no. if barrier didn't opened, how can car pass through the barrier?

2.1) if barrier not opened but can be opened from other stations or some other overrides, then it is "human error" on Malaysian side to override controls.

2.2) if barrier cannot be opened by other stations or overriden, then it must have been opened by somebody hiding inside that station or a "glitch".

Check video feeds, before and after that car.

I think I had ever heard of a group of Singaporeans went to Malaysia together but the custom didn't stamp the passports for them and they also never checked, so on their way back to Malaysia, when they handed their passports to the customs for retun chop, they were accused of being entered the Malaysia illegally. They were detained for 1 night. Could this be a trap, how could the customs never stamp the passports when they were given to them over the counters.

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law also like to go to Malaysia for supper in the middle of the night, they said no jam.

Once we went to KL, passed by Kluang to have our lunch. We had 4 cars, 3 cars parked at the parking lots but without coupons and 1 car parked illegally (ie without parking lot). After finished our lunch, we realised that the 3 cars with parking lots got fined while the other car without parking lot didn't get fine. Funny right? My brother-in-law gave some money to the man and all was settled. No hassle of going to the police station.

I think the 2 ladies are inexperienced, they never expect it to be so serious. I also never expect it to be so serious, the very most is detained for 1 night or fined but never know that they were treated like a criminal, so ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    I think I had ever heard of a group of Singaporeans went to Malaysia together but the custom didn't stamp the passports for them and they also never checked, so on their way back to Malaysia, when they handed their passports to the customs for retun chop, they were accused of being entered the Malaysia illegally. They were detained for 1 night. Could this be a trap, how could the customs never stamp the passports when they were given to them over the counters.

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law also like to go to Malaysia for supper in the middle of the night, they said no jam.

Once we went to KL, passed by Kluang to have our lunch. We had 4 cars, 3 cars parked at the parking lots but without coupons and 1 car parked illegally (ie without parking lot). After finished our lunch, we realised that the 3 cars with parking lots got fined while the other car without parking lot didn't get fine. Funny right? My brother-in-law gave some money to the man and all was settled. No hassle of going to the police station.

I think the 2 ladies are inexperienced, they never expect it to be so serious. I also never expect it to be so serious, the very most is detained for 1 night or fined but never know that they were treated like a criminal, so ridiculous.
    if only they had paid the RM10000. then everything ok. They better learn some street smarts. Govt officials only want money. Perhaps they act so arrogant, try to argue their way through instead of negotiating....

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    if only they had paid the RM10000. then everything ok. They better learn some street smarts. Govt officials only want money. Perhaps they act so arrogant, try to argue their way through instead of negotiating....
    Quoted : "Ms Chang said that at about noon last Thursday, an officer told them they would have to pay a fine of RM3,000 (S$1,200) each before they could be let off. Another officer had earlier said they could be fined up to RM10,000 and jailed for five years for illegally entering Malaysia. 'We agreed to pay because we wanted to get it done once and for all,' said Ms Chang.
    The women said they signed a statement that was written in Malay, and asked to be taken to an ATM. They waited for three hours but no one came for them. By then, their phones had been taken away."

They said they are willing to pay the fine but no one came to take them to the ATM machine.