Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JB supper trip turns into nightmare for 2 women

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    Quoted : "Ms Chang said that at about noon last Thursday, an officer told them they would have to pay a fine of RM3,000 (S$1,200) each before they could be let off. Another officer had earlier said they could be fined up to RM10,000 and jailed for five years for illegally entering Malaysia. 'We agreed to pay because we wanted to get it done once and for all,' said Ms Chang.
    The women said they signed a statement that was written in Malay, and asked to be taken to an ATM. They waited for three hours but no one came for them. By then, their phones had been taken away."

They said they are willing to pay the fine but no one came to take them to the ATM machine.
    Nothing was mentioned about what the 2 ladies have signed which was in malay! Hmmm... maybe an agreement that they will be in prison custody? Hmmm...

Ask former Foreign Minister George Yeo to seek justice for the 2 ladies.

Since GY's supporters always boast and claim how GY contributed to Singapore at diplomatic circles and world stage.

GY is very influential at world level.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    Ask former Foreign Minister George Yeo to seek justice for the 2 ladies.

Since GY's supporters always boast and claim how GY contributed to Singapore at diplomatic circles and world stage.

GY is very influential at world level.

i am just thinking to myself ...

if this incident had happened in say ...in say ... ang moh countries ...

will they still complain ?
    will they be made to do more than squatting .?

will the reaction from singaporeans be the same ?

i always feel many singaporeans , including the govt ..still have that colonism (right spelling?) in them ... maybe if it had been an ang moh country, it would have been a very different reaction altogether

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner

i always feel many singaporeans , including the govt ..still have that colonism (right spelling?) in them ... maybe if it had been an ang moh country, it would have been a very different reaction altogether
    Hard to say.

I have seen Internet articles from blogs, forums, FB comments etc about Singaporeans complaining about trips to Europe, USA, Japan, Africa, Australia, SEA etc and vice versa.

PAP also constantly critcise governments with 2-party gridlocked governments from other countries at elections but after elections visit and praise these same gridlocked parliament nations aka George Yeo visiting Taiwan and praising Taiwan systems, infrastructure and people.

But the difference is none made it to Yahoo or MSM thats all.

JB officials suspended as M'sian probe continues

By Jeanette Tan | SingaporeScene – Tue, Jun 14, 2011

Two JB officials have been suspended as investigations continue into the case of two Singaporean women who were …

By Jeanette Tan and Faris Mokhtar
    UPDATE

Two officials at the Johor Bahru Immigration Office have been suspended, pending the completion of Home Ministry investigations into the alleged mistreatment of two Singaporean women last Thursday.

Malaysian immigration director-general Alias Ahmad told reporters that the seven-man multi-agency panel headed to Johor to commence their investigation.

He said that the committee has been instructed to complete their probe within five days, and submit their findings and recommendations in a report to the Immigration Department.

Alias stressed, however, that the pair's detention was legal, as the women had violated Malaysia's immigration laws by not passing through the biometric fingerprint system checks.

The duo, who remain known only as Ms Lim and Ms Chang, have since said that they will be submitting written statements of their experience to Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) today, reported The Straits
    Times.

Correspondingly, the MFA said in a statement that it would closely monitor the outcome of the investigation, as well as assist with handing the women's written statements to the Malaysian High Commission in Singapore.

The spokesperson said on Tuesday that its consulate in Johor Bahru has also contacted the Malaysian immigration authorities to inquire on the immigration and detention procedures that the Singaporean women were subjected to.

"Hopefully this will help the Malaysian investigators to come to a quick conclusion," the statement said.

Ms Chang, an insurance company manager, said that she planned to take legal action, albeit not having consulted a lawyer yet. Her companion, a real estate agent, planned to drop the matter after lodging a formal complaint.

"If I want to sue, I will have to enter Malaysia to go for the hearing, and I do not want to step in there anymore," she said.

On Wednesday, Malaysia's Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein ordered an investigation into the matter, telling reporters that an inquiry
    committee had been formed, consisting of representatives from the police, prisons, immigration and detention centre departments.

"We have to get to the bottom of this," he said after a parliamentary session.

Alias said that the committee will determine whether or not the detention centre officers followed proper procedures, and may recommend changes to the standard operating procedure if necessary.

"We want to resolve this quickly, to show that we're serious about this case," he said."Be fair to us. The inquiry team has been formed. Let them do their job."

He maintained, however, that the officer involved in the incident had followed the standard operating procedure of conducting a full-body check at the detention centre.

"How the check is conducted is up to the discretion of the officer," he added.

Malaysian tourism minister Datuk Seri Ng Yen Yen said that the case is "not a small issue", and that anything that affects public perception of the country with regard to its hospitality is a serious one, according to AsiaOne News.

"The officials must be taken to task if they are found to have broken the rules," she said, when the issue was raised at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.

"One shouldn't be asked to do nude squats at all unless you have an absolute reason for suspicion. And it must be done with proper supervision," she added.

"We are an international player so we must make sure things are done the right way."

Last week, Ms Lim and Ms Chang drove across the Causeway for early morning supper without getting their passports stamped.

They had driven into a lane that was not manned and as it was their first time experiencing the new biometric scanner at the counter, Lim used the intercom and tried to ask another officer for help.

Both waited at the counter for five minutes before they decided to move on as Lim thought that there would be another counter for them to scan their fingers, but after they passed through, they realised there would not be one.

Shortly after they realised their mistake, they returned to the customs checkpoint but were subsequently sent to a nearby detention centre, and ordered to strip and do squats in the nude.

Both women were detained in a locked, crowded room until 5pm the next day and were initally asked to pay a fine of RM6,000 (S$2,440). They were eventually let off with a stern warning.

Since the issue was reported by the media, it has sparked outrage among Singaporeans and Malaysians alike, with some questioning the standard procedures that detainees are subjected to by the immigration authorities in Malaysia.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner

Singapore govt may not give face to ang mohs too! Remember Michael Fay. Only give a bit of face to Bill Clinton then! Maybe still give face after all!!! Hahaha!

Pardon my language, it plain silly 2 young ladies went to jb at wee hour
    They could jolly well be raped and killed.
    If u can afford a new latio, u can pay for carwash.
    They deserved it, period.