Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JB supper trip turns into nightmare for 2 women

Default JB supper trip turns into nightmare for 2 women

Can you believe this?

Jun 14, 2011,ST

JB supper trip turns into nightmare for 2 women

They say they were remanded and forced to undress and do squats

By Tham Yuen-C
    -- An Illustration'They asked us to strip, take off all our clothes and underwear, and then asked us to stand up and down while pulling our ears.'
    Ms Lim, one of the two women

TWO Singaporean women who drove to Johor Baru for supper found themselves questioned by Malaysian immigration officers, handcuffed, thrown behind bars and made to do squats while naked.
    They said their nightmare started when they drove into Johor Baru without getting their passports stamped, through an unmanned immigration lane. It ended 48 hours later when they were allowed to return to Singapore with a warning.
    'We thought it was a small issue, we didn't think something like that would happen,' said one of the women, a manager in an insurance company who wanted to be known only as Ms Chang.
    A spokesman for the Custom and Immigration Quarantine Complex in Bangunan Sultan Iskandar confirmed that two Singaporean women had been detained for an immigration offence.
    Ms Chang, in her late 30s, had been driven to Johor Baru by her friend, a property agent in her late 20s who wanted to be known only as Ms Lim, at about 1.30am last Thursday.
    Ms Lim was driving her new Nissan Latio. It was the first time she had driven to Malaysia, although she had been driven there before by friends.
    'We just wanted to go for supper, polish my car and explore a bit,' she said. 'I just bought my car a month ago, so we thought we'd make it an adventure.'
    At the Malaysian immigration side of the Causeway, they drove into a lane that was not manned. 'There wasn't anyone at the station and the green light was on,' said Ms Lim. 'I pressed the intercom and couldn't hear anything because of the static, so I just continued driving when the barrier opened.'
    Ms Chang said they drove on because they thought that Malaysia's newly introduced biometric system - which has been in the news - would be ahead.
    Ms Lim said they drove for another five minutes before they realised there would not be another counter.
    The women realised that they had proceeded through Malaysian Customs without getting their passports stamped, and immediately did a U-turn.
    By 2am, they were back at the checkpoint and explaining their mistake to the officers there. But they said the officers did not buy their story, although they pointed out that their Singapore passports would show that they had just entered Malaysia.
    An officer also appeared offended when Ms Lim suggested that they check with Singapore immigration. They were asked to leave their car and were taken to a meeting room and told to wait there.
    Ms Chang called her elder brother, and Ms Lim called a friend, to let them know what had happened.
    The two women were left on their own in the room for about two hours before they were taken to another meeting room at about 4am.
    Ms Chang said that at about noon last Thursday, an officer told them they would have to pay a fine of RM3,000 (S$1,200) each before they could be let off. Another officer had earlier said they could be fined up to RM10,000 and jailed for five years for illegally entering Malaysia. 'We agreed to pay because we wanted to get it done once and for all,' said Ms Chang.
    The women said they signed a statement that was written in Malay, and asked to be taken to an ATM. They waited for three hours but no one came for them. By then, their phones had been taken away.
    At about 5pm, they were told that they would be transferred to the Pontian Remand Centre and held for up to 14 days.
    They then asked for their phones so that they could keep their families informed.
    At the remand centre, the women were handcuffed. They also had to remove their belongings before being patted down by a female officer.
    Worse was to come. 'They asked us to strip, take off all our clothes and underwear, and then asked us to stand up and down while pulling our ears,' said Ms Lim. She said they felt like prisoners 'although we hadn't been convicted yet'.
    After doing 10 squats, the women were told to put on their jeans and were given T-shirts. They were then locked in a cell three-quarters the size of a basketball court with 50 other women, mostly from Indonesia, China and the Philippines.
    'The conditions were terrible,' said Ms Chang. 'No fan, no ventilation, no bed, the flooring is wood, and they have termites, cockroaches, spiders, mosquitoes.'
    There was an open toilet in the middle of the cell.The other women said they were being held for immigration-related reasons. They also said that immigration offenders were usually locked up for about six days, said Ms Chang.
    The women spent the night in the cell. At about 5pm the next day, they were told they would be released. They were driven in a six-seater van back to the immigration checkpoint at the Causeway where they received a warning letter.
    By then, it was already about 11.30pm on Friday. When they were later taken to their car, Ms Lim noticed scratches on it that had not been there before. She asked the officer about them, but was told he had nothing to do with it.
    Now back in Singapore, both women say they will never go back to Malaysia. 'I don't think I will ever want to step into Malaysia any more. I am worried this thing will happen again,' said Ms Lim.
    Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) yesterday said it was investigating the incident and would help the women in whatever way it could.
    The Malaysian High Commission here said it had not received any formal complaint about the incident.
    Yesterday, Ms Lim and Ms Chang said they would be meeting the MFA today, before deciding whether to make a complaint.
    When pressed about the case, the Custom and Immigration Quarantine Complex spokesman said it was the responsibility of travellers to get their passports stamped before they entered Malaysia. He declined to elaborate.
    [email protected]
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

outrageous!

Morale of the story is always check your passport after clearing JB immigration to make sure its stamped!
    BE CENTRED BY ALL AT THE FRINGE OF THE CITY @

while the treatment upon arrest was wrong and i m angry too, the 2 women were in the wrong too. it is a fact that they entered malaysia illegally by driving through an unmanned checkpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by sleek
    Morale of the story is always check your passport after clearing JB immigration to make sure its stamped!

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    while the treatment upon arrest was wrong and i m angry too, the 2 women were in the wrong too. it is a fact that they entered malaysia illegally by driving through an unmanned checkpoint.
    won't there be a barrier if checkpoint unmanned?

"At the Malaysian immigration side of the Causeway, they drove into a lane that was not manned. 'There wasn't anyone at the station and the green light was on,' said Ms Lim. 'I pressed the intercom and couldn't hear anything because of the static, so I just continued driving when the barrier opened.'"

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    won't there be a barrier if checkpoint unmanned?

it is a setup, hmm remember last time the news got mentioned about Malaysia policemen secretly film nude women being held.
    Now wondering whether the 2 Singaporean women kena filmed also?

At the Malaysian immigration side of the Causeway, they drove into a lane that was not manned. 'There wasn't anyone at the station and the green light was on,' said Ms Lim. 'I pressed the intercom and couldn't hear anything because of the static, so I just continued driving when the barrier opened.'

Malaysia Boleh

moral of the story, singapore dont sell supper?

Haa haa, they wanted an adventure mah

they sure got what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    i dont think JB is safe place especially at night. Too many horror stories liao. Stop going JB although after alot of news on robbers targeting Singaporeans.

Want supper and adventure can go geylang ma.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    i dont think JB is safe place especially at night. Too many horror stories liao. Stop going JB although after alot of news on robbers targeting Singaporeans.

Want supper and adventure can go geylang ma.
    It's not safe because of the cops not because of robbers
    Now big cover up by their immigration dept...

Malaysia BoLeow!
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Do you think your Singapore government will protest and make loud noises?.

I know my government will, if only for natives origin.
    For those of chinese origin, they are on our own.

Avoid msia at all cost!

Pls dun go into a country tat obviously dun welcome us.

The 2gers considered lucky nvr kena rob n raped for entering msia at 2am

They drove past the custom at 1.35am and return at 2am??? They are asking for it. So dumb. I can reach Kota Tinggi in 25 mins already. Even after paying toll, just stop the car and get your passport stamped la. Didn't they see everyone else stamping their passport also? Are they dumb or what?

They are first time driving in, NOT FIRST TIME GOING IN.

i don't think so. the 2 girls don't have a case. they broke the law, set up or no set up.

Do you think your Singapore government will protest and make loud noises?.

I know my government will, if only for natives origin.
    For those of chinese origin, they are on our own.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    They drove past the custom at 1.35am and return at 2am??? They are asking for it. So dumb. I can reach Kota Tinggi in 25 mins already. Even after paying toll, just stop the car and get your passport stamped la. Didn't they see everyone else stamping their passport also? Are they dumb or what?

They are first time driving in, NOT FIRST TIME GOING IN.

they drove in at 1.35 am ... for supper

did they plan to stay overnight ?

cos they said wanted to also polish her car ... car polish service in the wee hrs ?

strange also leh .....

maybe go in to call ' duck' lah ...

if we use BJT21 3rd eye, can see 24 hour car wash in JB.

Got ambiguity in their account.

How can it take 25 mins before they realise there's no other counter to stamp their passport?

How can they be so dense to see that there might be one or two other cars at other counters which guai guai stop at those counters to have their passport stamped while they just drove further forward?

How can they go to wax car at 1.30am?

How can their family members not report to the local police within the first 24hrs and by then so much more things could have taken place in day 2 instead of what they've described! Swift actions by our local police could have prevented further complications.

How can they describe driving a new nissan latio into JB for midnight supper be an adventure? Surely more than just supper? Must be hidding something else!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Got ambiguity in their account.

How can it take 25 mins before they realise there's no other counter to stamp their passport?

How can they be so dense to see that there might be one or two other cars at other counters which guai guai stop at those counters to have their passport stamped while they just drove further forward?

How can they go to wax car at 1.30am?

How can their family members not report to the local police within the first 24hrs and by then so much more things could have taken place in day 2 instead of what they've described! Swift actions by our local police could have prevented further complications.

How can they describe driving a new nissan latio into JB for midnight supper be an adventure? Surely more than just supper? Must be hidding something else!

women aer encouraged to come forward ...if they become rape victims ..

in this case ...only made to strip and do squats + pull the ears mah ..nothing shameful right ?

also names withheld ... jialat

sure hiding something

people many times do stupid things for good reasons.
    go midnight to beat the jam at causeway and no need to queue at carwash?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    women aer encouraged to come forward ...if they become rape victims ..

in this case ...only made to strip and do squats + pull the ears mah ..nothing shameful right ?

also names withheld ... jialat

sure hiding something
    the pull ears part first time i come across...maybe new bodysearch technique invented by malaysian customs...malaysia boleh lah!
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw
    the pull ears part first time i come across...maybe new bodysearch technique invented by malaysian customs...malaysia boleh lah!
    according to reason given by Malaysian police, the naked squats is to remove any objects hidden away in bottom orifices.
    pull ears is to remove any objects hidden away inside in the ear

Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw

no lah happened before

reported in spore papers ... that time was some china birds kana made to do the same thing ...

you want to come in for

fresh and cheap ?
    so let us see if you have big tits too

These women never go army before so not use to being naked in front of fellow women. Wait till they hear that we bathed together during BMT and during some overseas ex. Oh I'm embarrassed!!!

according to reason given by Malaysian police, the naked squats is to remove any objects hidden away in bottom orifices.
    pull ears is to remove any objects hidden away inside in the ear
    While I can still understand the squats, I can't imagine the pulling ear move. If I kept something inside my ear, I'll simply pull it in such a way that it will still remain in tact. The better approach is to shine a torch light into the ear carnal to have a clearer view lah! Then why they don't check mouth and nose also? Fancy them to think of such moves!

Lol, they got more than they wanted. But seriously, unmanned lane is really uncalled for. If go thru lane and officer never stamp still can forgive but this one is really tough.

Well I guess its a common sight to see the northern custom side to have very dubious practise habits. Nobody to man the counter and still have green light! In Singapore sure kana slammed like crazy. Even go toilet also must notify.

I just drove in last weekend and saw officers sleeping in view of all passing vehicles till someone who approached him to ask for direction to the toilet also have to shake him a bit!

Anyway, this is probably a very valuable, costly but valuable lesson for that 2 ladies! Also a free lesson for all of us who read their account! Never leave the lanes w/o having our passports stamped!

Quote Originally Posted by solsys
    Lol, they got more than they wanted. But seriously, unmanned lane is really uncalled for. If go thru lane and officer never stamp still can forgive but this one is really tough.
    Either the officer eat snake or it's a trap...I tink most prob eat snake then not happy to be caught by the women
    hungry eat sleepy sleep