Thread: CCTV in rented apt living rm

Default CCTV in rented apt living rm

Hi all, just wondering if our landlords here can help me with a question.

My friend, a girl, told me that her male landlord has recently installed a motion sensor cctv in her living room.

So, is this legal? Any black and white or law to support this?

Does it make a difference whether if only the rooms are rented out (so she can only expect privacy in her room), or if the whole apartment is rented out?

It's pretty creepy i think.

Quote Originally Posted by jencrs
    Hi all, just wondering if our landlords here can help me with a question.

My friend, a girl, told me that her male landlord has recently installed a motion sensor cctv in her living room.

So, is this legal? Any black and white or law to support this?

Does it make a difference whether if only the rooms are rented out (so she can only expect privacy in her room), or if the whole apartment is rented out?

It's pretty creepy i think.
    Unless she was not informed of the camera, or it is placed in the toilet/bathroom, I don't think your friend can do anything about it. After all, your friend is only renting the room, and Singapore has no privacy laws at all. However, if she is renting the whole apartment, then she can conceivably complain, since a full tenancy should entail full usage of the apartment without any such intrusions.

As it is, residents can place a camera outside their house to monitor a public area that is not their own, and you would not be able to stop them, so much less when the landlord is placing a camera on his own property to monitor his own property.

If she rent the whole apartment, just tape up the Camera.

Just ask your friend to move to another unit with no CCTV. I wouldn't like being monitored like that either. But if your friend only rent the room then there's nothing she can do. Just ensure there's no hidden camera in her room... Nowadays, camera comes in really small small sizes that can be placed at some discrete corners of the room...

Are there any official guidelines on the installation of these cameras in rented homes?

The tenancy agreement accords private and quiet enjoyment of the premises tenanted but again privacy is only confined to the room your friend rented. Living room is shared by landlord and tenant so there is nothing to stop landlord from putting cctv in his own premises.
    Quote Originally Posted by jencrs
    Are there any official guidelines on the installation of these cameras in rented homes?

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    The tenancy agreement accords private and quiet enjoyment of the premises tenanted but again privacy is only confined to the room your friend rented. Living room is shared by landlord and tenant so there is nothing to stop landlord from putting cctv in his own premises.
    Hmmm so from this i gather that if the whole apartment is rented rather than just a room, the tenancy agreement will be violated since the living room now becomes a private area. Correct?

Also, is the landlord required to inform the tenant of the camera?

Thanks for the answers.