Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Balcony

Default Balcony

Can balcony be enclosed with windows? BCA does not seem to require approval. http://www.bca.gov.sg/WorksApprovalN...rs/booklet.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Can balcony be enclosed with windows? BCA does not seem to require approval. http://www.bca.gov.sg/WorksApprovalN...rs/booklet.pdf
    of course not lah..

everything is by countable psf.

In condo's u cannot even have your own fancy window grills, what more about additional windows.

depends on condo's bylaws.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    depends on condo's bylaws.
    Yes... vote for it.

Its not restricted for HDB owner's. Most would do it and enclose the space plus level up.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    Yes... vote for it.

Its not restricted for HDB owner's. Most would do it and enclose the space plus level up.
    I see quite a lot of people in Chuan Park doing it...

I see quite a lot of people in Chuan Park doing it...
    year of completion 1985. Pobably got approval sometime ago or old until no one cares...

It depends on the GFA.

year of completion 1985. Pobably got approval sometime ago or old until no one cares...

It depends on the GFA.
    if balcony already counted as GFA. (before URA's GFA exemption ruling for balcony), yes. subject to condo bye laws

If GFA exempted, as current URA exemption, than no. Nothing is for free....

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    if balcony already counted as GFA. (before URA's GFA exemption ruling for balcony), yes. subject to condo bye laws

If GFA exempted, as current URA exemption, than no. Nothing is for free....
    Cannot enclose up balcony no matter wat....can do it but dun get caught tats all

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Cannot enclose up balcony no matter wat....can do it but dun get caught tats all
    Good advice... When u r caught, u have to remove them or risk fine or court action.

No need to enclose it, use bamboo blinds with clear plastic sheet behind it, roll it up or down as and when u like, it is good enough. just drill 2 holds to hang the rollers will do.

Some use natural bamboos and arrange them vertically together, they form a wall of bamboos. Can be moved and yet gives u privacy. Just not water proof that,s all.

If really want to enclose, can try playing cheat, enclose behind the windows and make it look like a indoor Reno and not external Reno. Not too sure about this one but u can try. Something like a additional glass room.

can read if free.

http://www.lawnet.com.sg/legal/ln2/c...nate/51217.htm

Injunction granted to the plaintiffs (MCST). BCA enforcement action withheld.

But!!!

The management corporation accepted that it could not do anything about those cases because those structures over the seven balconies were erected well before the management corporation came into being.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hkediti...t_12616138.htm

Even the rich does it... hahaha...
    Last edited by kingkong1984; 27-06-11 at 03:38.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    How to not get caught. It totally changes the external facade and look. Anyone walking within the condo sure can see it. Some facing outward also can see!

Can try to install those invisible grills! Usually management will grant approval if it does not change the physical appearance of the condo.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    How to not get caught. It totally changes the external facade and look. Anyone walking within the condo sure can see it. Some facing outward also can see!

Can try to install those invisible grills! Usually management will grant approval if it does not change the physical appearance of the condo.
    depend whether anyone wana complain anot lor...small boutique apts 'usually' close one eye lor....big condo definitely cannot lor

Good advice... When u r caught, u have to remove them or risk fine or court action.

No need to enclose it, use bamboo blinds with clear plastic sheet behind it, roll it up or down as and when u like, it is good enough. just drill 2 holds to hang the rollers will do.
    this is the best solution to prevent rain from coming in without perm enclose it

Then may I ask all the experts here... other than putting huge flower pots, how to prevent young toddlers and kids from climbing and falling over balconies? Any advise?

Then may I ask all the experts here... other than putting huge flower pots, how to prevent young toddlers and kids from climbing and falling over balconies? Any advise?
    put grills at the sliding glass door lor....or u can try ur invisible grill

me n kingkong r toking about enclosing it to prevent rain from coming in....ur objective is diff...hehe

Lock the sliding glass doors that lead into the balcony at all times. And make sure someone is at home to supervise the kids. Young kids are a problem. You cannot leave them alone for even a short while. There was a recent case of a pre-schooler who fell out of a window in an HDB apartment when his mother was out. If the locks are not child-proof, then you must change the locks to child-proof ones or even change the sliding doors if necessary even if at great expense because it's not worth to risk the life of your kids.

Whether you can install windows or grilles to your balcony, the best approach is to check with the Management Office. In older condos it's often possible.

How abt foldable glass panels? I like to test e legal system!

when i constructed my house ... i highlighted to contractors and they agreed with me

for safety reasons all grills have to be vertical and not horizontal
    not even diagonal ...

kids have tendency to climb ... so make sure they are all vertical grills

if your existing is NOT vertical ... just change it .. no mgmt dare to force you to stick to original non vertical and challenge you over safety reasons ..

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    when i constructed my house ... i highlighted to contractors and they agreed with me

for safety reasons all grills have to be vertical and not horizontal
    not even diagonal ...

kids have tendency to climb ... so make sure they are all vertical grills

if your existing is NOT vertical ... just change it .. no mgmt dare to force you to stick to original non vertical and challenge you over safety reasons ..
    tats a gd point

How abt foldable glass panels? I like to test e legal system!
    why don't you install vertical grills and then wrap fake vines over the grills. from afar, looks like natural plants. grills wont be visible.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Lock the sliding glass doors that lead into the balcony at all times. And make sure someone is at home to supervise the kids. Young kids are a problem. You cannot leave them alone for even a short while. There was a recent case of a pre-schooler who fell out of a window in an HDB apartment when his mother was out. If the locks are not child-proof, then you must change the locks to child-proof ones or even change the sliding doors if necessary even if at great expense because it's not worth to risk the life of your kids.

Whether you can install windows or grilles to your balcony, the best approach is to check with the Management Office. In older condos it's often possible.
    This one at Signature Park also:

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%...107-35000.html

Japanese toddler dies after fall from condo flat
    Diana Othman and Tracy SuaWed, Nov 07, 2007
    The Straits Times

AN 18-MONTH-OLD Japanese toddler died after she fell eight floors from an apartment at Signature Park condominium in Jalan Jurong Kechil on Tuesday afternoon.

Police said they received a call at 3.45 pm that a girl was found with injuries at the foot of a block in the estate. She was rushed to the National University Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Police are investigating the case as unnatural death.

The toddler is understood to have fallen out of an eighth floor apartment.Her parents, who have been staying at the condominium for several years, collected her body from the mortuary on Wednesday afternoon.

Japanese residents at the condominium said the the toddler's mother had gone to pick up an older sibling from school and left her at home when the incident happened.

Retiree Tan Yun Chee, 50, who was visiting his grandchild in the condominium, said in Mandarin: "I saw the mother clutching the child in her arms and crying. The baby was crying as well.

"Blood was oozing from the child's head and back. A few women were consoling the mother."

Several Japanese women who live in neighbouring blocks were talking about the incident near the block where the child had fallen.

Speaking to The Straits Times on Wednesday morning, one of the women said: "The family is very upset at the moment. We are praying for them."

She said that the family had asked them not to give any information to the media.

Mr Quintos Ong, who lives in a groundfloor unit, described the family as quiet and keeps to themselves.

Added the father of two children, aged eight and seven: "I always see the mother coming down with the little girl and walking around. She is friendly and always stops to chat with other Japanese women."

This is the second reported tragedy involving a child in the condominium, which is popular with Japanese and Korean expatriates.

Eight years ago, a seven-year-old boy died after he drowned in the condominium's swimming pool.

anybody knows after a child fell out from balcony, the condo by-laws changed to allow the installation of grills?

hopefully, 3rd time lucky for Signature Park.

I do know of a type of window which is not fixed. It actually slides to the extreme sides to give you the no windows feeling coz its totally empty, just like an open balcony. Not sure if this qualifies! I used them some years back for HDB with no problem...

[quote=hyenergix]This one at Signature Park also:

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%...107-35000.html

Japanese toddler dies after fall from condo flat
    Diana Othman and Tracy SuaWed, Nov 07, 2007
    The Straits Times

a friend's friend had a sad story as well ...

she was in the kitchen ...and her 3 yr old son was playing in the HDB living room ...

he placed a stool by the window and looked out of the window ...

the window was lock ...

he placed his face against the grill ..with square design ...

somehow ... his face slipped into the sq hole ..

as he tried to pull his head out .. and failed .. he panicked and struggled and scream ... and he kicked ..

he stool fell ...

she heard a brief scream ..followed by a thud ...

then it was all silent ....

when she came out of the kitchen ...

he was dead ... hanging by the head .. on the window grill ...

THATS WHY ITS SO IMPORTANT THAT WE MUST AND CAN ONLY HAVE VERTICAL GRILL ...

damn trade esthestic for safety

Even with grilles on the windows and balconies, it is NOT SAFE to leave young children at home unattended. They can get into all sorts of trouble including drowning in pails of water, electrocuting themselves, scalding themselves with hot water, etc etc. Though they may be sleeping when you leave them, they may wake up while you are away even for a short while.

One of the kids who died recently falling from an HDB flat was not even a toddler. He was in K2 I believe. But he was left alone at home.

Never play with such fires... All it takes is one silly mistake and you have the rest of your life to regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Even with grilles on the windows and balconies, it is NOT SAFE to leave young children at home unattended. They can get into all sorts of trouble including drowning in pails of water, electrocuting themselves, scalding themselves with hot water, etc etc. Though they may be sleeping when you leave them, they may wake up while you are away even for a short while.

One of the kids who died recently falling from an HDB flat was not even a toddler. He was in K2 I believe. But he was left alone at home.
    when we were young ... very young ... we were tied on one leg to a pillar in the house ..

cruel .. but safe ...

he placed his face against the grill ..with square design ...
    somehow ... his face slipped into the sq hole ..
    as he tried to pull his head out .. and failed .. he panicked and struggled and scream ... and he kicked ..
    he stool fell ...
    she heard a brief scream ..followed by a thud ...
    then it was all silent ....
    when she came out of the kitchen ...
    he was dead ... hanging by the head .. on the window grill ...
    something doesnt match. was he dead because of choking or the neck snapped?

anyway, according to escape artists, if the head can slip through, the body can follow. just make the width of grills is smaller than the head.

when we were young ... very young ... we were tied on one leg to a pillar in the house ..

cruel .. but safe ...
    I read that animals caught in a trap usually chew their leg off to escape. lucky our children didnt chew their legs off.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    something doesnt match. was he dead because of choking or the neck snapped?

anyway, according to escape artists, if the head can slip through, the body can follow. just make the width of grills is smaller than the head.

he was choked .. the stool fell .. he was too young and not strong enuff to pull himself up ..like how we do chin ups

anyway probably he panicked and struggled ...