Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Maplewoods - A case of wanting their cake & eat it?

  1. #1
    hiyo all

    User Info Menu

    Default Maplewoods - A case of wanting their cake & eat it?

    I think the measures proposed by the authorities to address residents' concerns are very reasonable but they are still unhappy!


    [B]ST,30June2011[/B]

    MAPLEWOODS condominium residents - upset over a new MRT construction site which they claimed they learnt of only last month - have been presented with new proposals addressing their concerns about traffic and safety.
    First, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will revise its plans so that trucks carting tunnelling debris from the site do not have to cut across the only access road to the Bukit Timah Road estate.
    Second, its 3,000 residents have been given three options for a new pedestrian footpath to make it safer for them to reach Bukit Timah Road and Methodist Girls' School (MGS) in Blackmore Drive.
    The three options are: building a gate at the back of the condo giving direct access to MGS, creating a 1.2m-wide footpath on the condo's premises leading to the school, and building a public path on the perimeter of the construction site.
    'Both the vehicular and safety issues have been vastly improved,' said MP for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC Christopher de Souza, who discussed the new ideas with more than 100 residents last night.
    He noted that safety for the condo's children was his top priority and that the new solution has addressed this.
    Last night's meeting was his third since he first heard about residents' concerns on May 23. He was accompanied by his fellow MP for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, and LTA's chief executive Chew Hock Yong.
    Unhappiness surfaced last month when residents learnt of LTA's plans for the new construction site. Work began in front of the estate for the King Albert Park MRT station last June, but was halted on June 6 due to protests over the new site which will allow trucks to carry debris from tunnelling work. The station, which is part of the Downtown Line Stage 2, is slated to be ready by 2015.
    Residents said the construction work and traffic diversions would make it difficult to drive in and out of the condo.
    There was also worry over the safety of pedestrians, especially students walking to MGS.
    Letters were sent to the Prime Minister and a dialogue with LTA and Mr de Souza was held to discuss solutions. However, no agreement was reached.
    Among the solutions offered then was the building of a footpath from the condo towards King Albert Park.
    Residents also suggested moving the new construction site nearer to Sixth Avenue, but the LTA said it was not feasible due to construction limitations.
    At yesterday's four-hour meeting, residents said the new suggestions gave little comfort and insisted on relocating the new construction site.
    Resident Michael Morris, 49, a software salesman, said: 'We had asked for and hoped for a complete reassessment without any preconceived notions, but all they have done really is put band aids on the core issue.'
    He added that residents 'still haven't heard any justification about the decision made many years ago' for locating the site in such a tightly constricted space.
    More talks are expected between LTA and residents to work out a solution.
    Dr Balakrishnan, who is also Minister for the Environment and Water Resources, told the residents: 'While I'm in a position to lean on them (LTA), I cannot promise you a final outcome. We will maximise safety and reduce inconvenience for you. Your pressure on LTA has made the plan better.
    'This has not been a perfect plan. This is an improved plan, but I think further improvements can be made,' he added.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

  2. #2
    hiyo all

    User Info Menu

    Default

    [B]ST, 30June2011
    [/B]

    [B]LTA'S OPTIONS[/B]
    [B]PROBLEM:[/B] Trucks removing tunnel debris from launch shaft at condo's sole entrance and exit will cause traffic obstruction and pose danger to pedestrians
    [B]PROPOSED SOLUTION:[/B] Get trucks to bypass condo's entrance/exit by accessing launch site from main road
    [B]PROBLEM:[/B] Children walking to Methodist Girls' School (MGS) behind Maplewoods will have to use narrow footpath flanked by busy construction site and heavy traffic on Bukit Timah Road
    [B]PROPOSED SOLUTION: [/B]Build new footpath either
    Connecting Maplewoods directly to MGS by its backdoor;
    Around Maplewoods using condo land;
    Around construction site using public land
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

  3. #3
    Junior

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw
    [B]ST, 30June2011
    [/B]

    [B]LTA'S OPTIONS[/B]
    [B]PROBLEM:[/B] Trucks removing tunnel debris from launch shaft at condo's sole entrance and exit will cause traffic obstruction and pose danger to pedestrians
    [B]PROPOSED SOLUTION:[/B] Get trucks to bypass condo's entrance/exit by accessing launch site from main road
    [B]PROBLEM:[/B] Children walking to Methodist Girls' School (MGS) behind Maplewoods will have to use narrow footpath flanked by busy construction site and heavy traffic on Bukit Timah Road
    [B]PROPOSED SOLUTION: [/B]Build new footpath either
    Connecting Maplewoods directly to MGS by its backdoor;
    Around Maplewoods using condo land;
    Around construction site using public land
    can the LTA/Singapore charged maplewood for the delay it caused to the construction of the whole mrt line? Or should the LTA take back a part of maplewood land to convert to road?

  4. #4
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    Default

    GREAT IDEA! i believe that it happened to chuan park.


    Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    can the LTA/Singapore charged maplewood for the delay it caused to the construction of the whole mrt line? Or should the LTA take back a part of maplewood land to convert to road?

  5. #5
    Bricks & Mortar

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    can the LTA/Singapore charged maplewood for the delay it caused to the construction of the whole mrt line? Or should the LTA take back a part of maplewood land to convert to road?
    Maybe there should have another 2 OPTION:

    1. LTA take back part of Maplewood convert to road, ensure safety to residents

    2. Do away with the station all together since so much trouble. If more delay, can potentially delay the completion of the new line and affect all the inconvenience of rest of Singapore who will benefit from the new line

  6. #6
    Junior

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Build a footpath ESPECIALLY for Maplewoods residents who have children who are going to MGS only, which is probably a very small group of people. This is using taxpayer's money. These guys should just be reasonable and not delay the process or construction any further. The MRT will benefit lots of people. Just bear with the construction for a few years. Maplewoods is not even a quiet condo to begin with. It's right beside Bukit Timah road - they should be used to high noise levels. Why they want to push everything to sixth ave which will entail greater disruption since it taking away more land and chasing people out of their homes?

    I find it ridiculous for them to ask people to move the construction site elsewhere? HELLO? Be reasonable lah. It depends on where is the MRT station right? And what are all the soil testing for? Just be reasonable lah.

  7. #7
    Exalted

    User Info Menu

    Default

    they r jus trying to take advantage of the govt situation now when PAP goto 'listen'

    this is jus the beginning....

  8. #8
    Be Heard, not the Herd

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    they r jus trying to take advantage of the govt situation now when PAP goto 'listen'

    this is jus the beginning....
    Real stupid people. They are indirectly talking down the value of their condo. Nobody will dare to buy a unit there until the construction is over.

  9. #9
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    Real stupid people. They are indirectly talking down the value of their condo. Nobody will dare to buy a unit there until the construction is over.
    My agent friend told me many current tenants consider moving out and new tenants/buyers difficult to secure. Owners sure have to fight for their $$$.

    Those interested in this property can wait till further mess up by construction works before go in buy cheap cheap

  10. #10
    Junior

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    they r jus trying to take advantage of the govt situation now when PAP goto 'listen'

    this is jus the beginning....
    I'm thinking *exactly* the same. "Listen"...
    what happen to the other condo where the owners demand gov to topup their 99Y LH condo ? "because we are concerned abt the value of our homes"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •