Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: renting out my HDB, whole unit, what things to watch out for?

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    not only the bills.....a/c compressor will b gone as well and the a/c ducting pipes will sweat and good game if its concealed(condos)

tat time got some1 argue wif me we dun hf to suxx excess dirty stuff in the a/c pipes at all...well, he is lucky den....my pipes got clogged and goto hack and replace a/c pipes.....cost a bomb
    For HDB flat, lucky they are not allowed to have any concealed piping. Easier to replace.

pub bills not so bad...is the IDD calls tat matters!
    can disable IDD call function.

i recall PUB installing pre-paid electrical meter for those who have problems paying bills. Why not install that?

i still prefer to let tenants take care of their own bills leh....dun see any advantage for landlords to subscribe PUB bills under their names....

only those illegally renting out their flats goto take PUB bills under their own names

i still prefer to let tenants take care of their own bills leh....dun see any advantage for landlords to subscribe PUB bills under their names....

only those illegally renting out their flats goto take PUB bills under their own names
    The advantage is not having to reopen the account again? Very troublesome to terminate, then open again when the tenancy ends. That was my concern at least. But I am also worried about the tenant running away and not paying for the utilities, which can be about $500-600 each month.

Quote Originally Posted by propertyguru
    The advantage is not having to reopen the account again? Very troublesome to terminate, then open again when the tenancy ends. That was my concern at least. But I am also worried about the tenant running away and not paying for the utilities, which can be about $500-600 each month.
    transfering n termination of PUB bills can be done online oredi.....dun nid to manually fill in forms liao

even stamp fees aso can be done via online !! FYI:for those who help their tenants do the estamping when they renew their TA without agts

i met all kind of tenants b4...and my conclusion is tat race/religion/skin color doesnt matter at all!

and yes, give abit of discount to keep a gd tenant is worthwhile if u r keeping the ppty for long term

ppl say jap tenants very clean....like real only
    Bro, the unit that I'm currently staying was tenanted to a Jap's couple from an Indian couple. The jap stayed for 3 years and yet the whole house still like new. Best of all, before I took over the unit, the Jap family wash/Iron the curtain, get the aircon service and do a whole house cleaning. All furnitures/TV/Fridge/Washing machine/Dryer are spakling like new. I virtually move in with personal belongs...

Maybe not all Jap are clean, however, I'm lucky to met one.
    Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    Bro, the unit that I'm currently staying was tenanted to a Jap's couple from an Indian couple. The jap stayed for 3 years and yet the whole house still like new. Best of all, before I took over the unit, the Jap family wash/Iron the curtain, get the aircon service and do a whole house cleaning. All furnitures/TV/Fridge/Washing machine/Dryer are spakling like new. I virtually move in with personal belongs...

Maybe not all Jap are clean, however, I'm lucky to met one.
    wow, wash curtain for u too!??!! they really follow the TA clauses? hehe

i jus sharing my own experiences la

Yeah... washed and ironed the bedsheets, curtains, sofa covers etc..
    Also, as the Japs are leaving Singapore after vacanting the unit, they leave behind vacuum cleaners and many electical appliances (for example, Microwave Oven is almost new as it was rarely use)...

Damn lucky to met such...

devilplate, maybe you had a jap single whereas westman had a jap couple. is that the difference a marriage makes

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    devilplate, maybe you had a jap single whereas westman had a jap couple. is that the difference a marriage makes
    no la....wrong assumptions made by u....btw, majority of my ppty is 2bdr n above too...so dun assume my tenants always single ....fyi: got couples renting mm studio too

lets not tok abt sexes....gers can be very dirty as well one lor....

usually until the last mth, tenants will not clean the place oredi....u can try to deduct spring cleaning fees from their deposit la if u wan....usually i jus absorb too if the tenants hf been gd la.....take it easy makes ur life easier

MY ex-neighbor adopted the same approach as you but ended up with huge bills..

Apparently, he let his tenant to pay according to bills for utilities and phone. Everthing looks fine for two years. When contract ended per TA agreement, the tenant (A PRC couple) fly out of Singapore straight away but leave behind huge utilities bill and phone bill.

In total, my neighbor still hold 1 month deposit (which is around $1800) but yet insufficient to pay off $400++ utitlities (looks like the tenant on aircon 24/7 for the last month) and $2000++ IDD bill to UK and China during the last month. The PRC couple remain uncontactable and was told they have had migrated to UK per their parents feedback back in China.. Hope of getting $$$ back is like ZERO..

So, becareful wor when the utilities and phone is still under your name wor....

phone can let tenant install. better that way, Let telco chase them.

Electricity, u can withhold their deposit pending last bill.

lawyers eat grass... hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    phone can let tenant install. better that way, Let telco chase them.

Electricity, u can withhold their deposit pending last bill.

lawyers eat grass... hahaha.
    Well if you meet some tenants from the neither world, they'll calculate 2 months deposit and make sure they get everything back. Electric bill goes up to $1500 for not paying for 2 months (which is usually allowed) and spoil the aircon in the process like what devilplate went through and did not pay the final month of rental and dismantled some items from your house or remove some furniture without informing you and disappeared forever!!! Hmmm... Don't think such tenants exist, do they?

I think such tenants do exist....... quite a good idea to have power utility bill under own name to track whether tenant is devil in the making.....

Quote Originally Posted by solsys
    I think such tenants do exist....... quite a good idea to have power utility bill under own name to track whether tenant is devil in the making.....
    If electricity is under owner's name, if tenant pay can check online if you have pub online account.

But if the pub bill is under tenant's name, can we also check if they pay the bill? If they dont pay, will owner still be liable?

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    If electricity is under owner's name, if tenant pay can check online if you have pub online account.

But if the pub bill is under tenant's name, can we also check if they pay the bill? If they dont pay, will owner still be liable?
    check with sp.

lets not tokabtsexes....gers can be very dirty as well one lor....
    Agreed.
    A friend of mine rented out a room to two girls (PRC again. Sorry and no discrimination to PRCfolks.. ) and problems start pouring in with complaint from other tenants (who rented the other two rooms)... example such as bring in strangers into their room and stay overnight. At the end, my friend evicted both out after theyburnt the whole room with lighted cigarette…. My friend spent around 8k to redo the whole room… while the two girls runaway without paying (apart from the one month deposit)

In another case, a colleague of mine has had ever tenanted out to a tenant (PRC again...ooppsss sorry). Onthe fifth day after the new tenant move in, my friend decide to pay his tenant to make sure his tenant is ok with the new environment. After a few knock onthe door and without anyone answering the door, he tot the tenant might be elsewhere thus he gave up and went home. For the next few days, he tried to contact the tenants but to no avail. Alternatively, he also contact his agent to help locating the tenant without much success...

After countless trying to contact the tenant but to no avail, my friend decided to visit hishouse with agent accompanied. When entering the unit, my friend was shocked tosee his furnitures/TV/eletical appliance (effectively everything) were removedby his tenant from his condo. After checking with security, they said they noticed someone was moving earlier on (which is around the third day after thenew tenant moving in)...
    Count yourselfunlucky to experience such... Damn "sway"!!!!

Agreed.
    A friend of mine rented out a room to two girls (PRC again. Sorry and no discrimination to PRCfolks.. ) and problems start pouring in with complaint from other tenants (who rented the other two rooms)... example such as bring in strangers into their room and stay overnight. At the end, my friend evicted both out after theyburnt the whole room with lighted cigarette…. My friend spent around 8k to redo the whole room… while the two girls runaway without paying (apart from the one month deposit)

In another case, a colleague of mine has had ever tenanted out to a tenant (PRC again...ooppsss sorry). Onthe fifth day after the new tenant move in, my friend decide to pay his tenant to make sure his tenant is ok with the new environment. After a few knock onthe door and without anyone answering the door, he tot the tenant might be elsewhere thus he gave up and went home. For the next few days, he tried to contact the tenants but to no avail. Alternatively, he also contact his agent to help locating the tenant without much success...

After countless trying to contact the tenant but to no avail, my friend decided to visit hishouse with agent accompanied. When entering the unit, my friend was shocked tosee his furnitures/TV/eletical appliance (effectively everything) were removedby his tenant from his condo. After checking with security, they said they noticed someone was moving earlier on (which is around the third day after thenew tenant moving in)...
    Scary...

Heard stories during recession, when ppl got fired..they took/sold all the stuff and left keys in the mailbox

But well again from tenant perspective they know that landlorn won't return the deposit...so they do salvage what they can

Agreed.

cannot do anything?
    you have copies of work permit/employment pass, id, passports etc.
    cannot report to police? and immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    cannot do anything?
    you have copies of work permit/employment pass, id, passports etc.
    cannot report to police? and immigration?
    my friend reported to police and at the end still ended up with nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by rockinsg
    Scary...

Heard stories during recession, when ppl got fired..they took/sold all the stuff and left keys in the mailbox

But well again from tenant perspective they know that landlorn won't return the deposit...so they do salvage what they can
    Well, there are some good one too. It's just a matter of luck wor.

Agreed.

These are not tenants lah. They already had the intentions to commit crime and break the law so it could well be you kanna robbed in the lift or when opening the door to your home... Its really a scary experience leh! Police also cannot do anything...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    These are not tenants lah. They already had the intentions to commit crime and break the law so it could well be you kanna robbed in the lift or when opening the door to your home... Its really a scary experience leh! Police also cannot do anything...
    What for... they pay $1500 x 2 for a 2 bedders and the aparetment is near GL area and the issue happened a few years back... ....

If I recalled correctly, they took away wahsing machine (resale @100??) dryer (resale @ 75??) / 2 queen size beds (@500 each??), hifi (I think it's a low grade tube amp and it worth a bit more @ 1200 for resales), 46" LCD TV (resale@1500 at the time where LCD yet to be common??), dinning set(resales @400??) , leather sofa (@500 at that time???) and misc electrical appliances (total not more than 1000)

Total I estimated it to be around $5000+++. Not worth the effort.

What for... they pay $1500 x 2 for a 2 bedders and the aparetment is near GL area and the issue happened a few years back... ....

If I recalled correctly, they took away wahsing machine (resale @100??) dryer (resale @ 75??) / 2 queen size beds (@500 each??), hifi (I think it's a low grade tube amp and it worth a bit more @ 1200 for resales), 46" LCD TV (resale@1500 at the time where LCD yet to be common??), dinning set(resales @400??) , leather sofa (@500 at that time???) and misc electrical appliances (total not more than 1000)

Its a calculated move lah.... what other ways to buy you so much time for criminal activity and no disturbances or worry that you'll be caught? Even the security guards gave him the blessing! That guy maybe earn $3k for that month's worth of work (plus looking for buyers for those stolen stuff)?

If I recalled correctly, they took away wahsing machine (resale @100??) dryer (resale @ 75??) / 2 queen size beds (@500 each??), hifi (I think it's a low grade tube amp and it worth a bit more @ 1200 for resales), 46" LCD TV (resale@1500 at the time where LCD yet to be common??), dinning set(resales @400??) , leather sofa (@500 at that time???) and misc electrical appliances (total not more than 1000)....

how come ur fren furnish such low rent apt wif expensive stuff?

2 queen bed i can get brandnew ones at $200 each(got spring one)

y nid to provide hifi??? y 46 inch LCD???? dining set 4 pax brandnew can get for $300, y leather sofa? jus use PU soft or pvc la and brandnew 3seater can get for $350-$500 max, electrical appliance??? only fridge $500 and the most $150 microwave rite? the rest no nid to provide la....so everything brandnew cfm can get below 3k

its like wearing ur platinum rolex walking in JB rite?

how come ur fren furnish such low rent apt wif expensive stuff?

2 queen bed i can get brandnew ones at $200 each(got spring one)

y nid to provide hifi??? y 46 inch LCD???? dining set 4 pax brandnew can get for $300, y leather sofa? jus use PU soft or pvc la and brandnew 3seater can get for $350-$500 max, electrical appliance??? only fridge $500 and the most $150 microwave rite? the rest no nid to provide la....so everything brandnew cfm can get below 3k

its like wearing ur platinum rolex walking in JB rite?
    Or park your S350 in the HDB carpark waiting for scratches to appear???

[quote=westman]Agreed.
    A friend of mine rented out a room to two girls (PRC again..../quote]

Rule 1: never rent to PRC

Rule 2: not to forget rule 1

Rule 3: please refer to rule 1 & rule 2....

[quote=p3nboy]
    Agreed.
    A friend of mine rented out a room to two girls (PRC again..../quote]

Rule 2: not to forget rule 1

Rule 3: please refer to rule 1 & rule 2....
    Hahaha. Anyway I used to rent my extra rooms to 2 PRC girls. They are pretty ok lah... but then again they are students so maybe more guai behavior!

Quote Originally Posted by p3nboy
    i come across gd PRC, indian tenants (dun be lazy, jus be there for rental viewing.....can roughly judge by their behaviour and mannerism)

dun say never.....if u exclude PRC and Indians, u will b be finding a hard time competing wif other landlords for korean,jap,angmor....very true for OCR rental.....getting more and more PRC/indians looking for CCR rental as well....

[quote=ysyap]
    Quote Originally Posted by p3nboy
    Hahaha. Anyway I used to rent my extra rooms to 2 PRC girls. They are pretty ok lah... but then again they are students so maybe more guai behavior!
    Ahem...you mean they are pretty or pretty ok?