Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: renting out my HDB, whole unit, what things to watch out for?

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

Default renting out my HDB, whole unit, what things to watch out for?

Renting out my HDB, whole unit, what things to watch out for?...
    before I ....

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    Renting out my HDB, whole unit, what things to watch out for?...
    before I ....
    1. Agree on terms of TA
    2. Inform HDB
    3. Terminate your carpark season parking if you have a car
    4. Terminate your power supply bill plus all other bills

Feel free to add on..

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    1. Agree on terms of TA
    2. Inform HDB
    3. Terminate your carpark season parking if you have a car
    4. Terminate your power supply bill plus all other bills

Feel free to add on..
    dont terminate powersupply.

Instead have the tenant to pay electricty according to bill.

It will come in handy if the tenants dun pay their bills and rental ontime.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    dont terminate powersupply.

Instead have the tenant to pay electricty according to bill.

It will come in handy if the tenants dun pay their bills and rental ontime.
    Don't understand! What I meant is to change owner name. Let authorities deal directly w them...

Don't understand! What I meant is to change owner name. Let authorities deal directly w them...
    I had a encounter with late paying tenants (but stayed with us > 2 years). The last straw came in and I ask them to pay now or I cut the electricity supply since it is still under my name. After that, they paid up promptly but I chased them out thereafter.

Got new and better tenants thereafter.

I had a encounter with late paying tenants (but stayed with us > 2 years). The last straw came in and I ask them to pay now or I cut the electricity supply since it is still under my name. After that, they paid up promptly but I chased them out thereafter.

Good for you. I'll get the agent to talk to them if late payment. If still cannot, evict them. No need to use power supply to threaten them.

Good for you. I'll get the agent to talk to them if late payment. If still cannot, evict them. No need to use power supply to threaten them.
    last straw lah.

dun need to involve agent

dun need to involve lawyers

just say will do.

HDB whole units are now in short supply. You can be choosy about the tenants. Preferably rent out to professionals and a mixture of male/female (if all female you get worried if they are also running another business on the side). Warn them you will carry out spot checks on them periodically (and also threaten them that HDB can spot check them at any time especially if they create disturbance or nuisance to your neighbours).

It is a lot down to luck. But hopefully they will not spoil your house too badly.

If at the end of 2 years, they prove to be good tenants (ie keep the place in decent condition, pay the rent promptly, not too demanding etc), you can consider not to raise their rent in order to retain them as tenants. Because it is not easy to find good and reliable tenants for HDB flat.

I know of tenants who actually add an additional lock to prevent the owners from accessing the house! Not sure if this is permitted? Hmmm...

Add this to the Tenancy Agreement.

In the event HDB issues an eviction order to complaint of noisy disturbance during wee hour from this unit with Evidence, the two months security deposit shall be used as a monthly rental during the period of sourcing for new tenants of up to two months. If new tenant can be found lesser than two months, the landlord shall undertake to refund the balance of deposit to the tenant proportionately.

Letter from HDB to me to vacate the tenants within 14 days.

TERMINATION OF SUBLETTING APPROVAL AT APT BLK XX BXX ROAD #XX-XX

I refer to our email dated XX Aug 2010 regarding noise nuisance from your unit.

2 We have received another feedback on XX Nov 2010 that the occupiers (i.e. subtenants) in the flat are causeing noise nuisance again late at night. We have previously sought your co-operation in April 2010 and Aug 2010 to inform your subtenants to reduce their noise activities.

3 Despite HDB's constant reminder to you to reduce the noise activities and in view of the constant noise actitvities that are of disturbance to the harmonious living environment, HDB hereby, will revoke the subletting approval dated XX April 2007 by giving you two weeks' notice. Please ensure that the subtenants are to vacate the premises at Blk XX BXX Road #XX-XX by XX Dec 2010.

4 Please contact me at XXXXXX or email [email protected] or my staff Mr Txxx Hxxx xxxt at 6xxxxxx or email [email protected] if you have any clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    Add this to the Tenancy Agreement.

In the event HDB issues an eviction order to complaint of noisy disturbance during wee hour from this unit with Evidence, the two months security deposit shall be used as a monthly rental during the period of sourcing for new tenants of up to two months. If new tenant can be found lesser than two months, the landlord shall undertake to refund the balance of deposit to the tenant proportionately.

Letter from HDB to me to vacate the tenants within 14 days.

TERMINATION OF SUBLETTING APPROVAL AT APT BLK XX BXX ROAD #XX-XX

I refer to our email dated XX Aug 2010 regarding noise nuisance from your unit.

2 We have received another feedback on XX Nov 2010 that the occupiers (i.e. subtenants) in the flat are causeing noise nuisance again late at night. We have previously sought your co-operation in April 2010 and Aug 2010 to inform your subtenants to reduce their noise activities.

3 Despite HDB's constant reminder to you to reduce the noise activities and in view of the constant noise actitvities that are of disturbance to the harmonious living environment, HDB hereby, will revoke the subletting approval dated XX April 2007 by giving you two weeks' notice. Please ensure that the subtenants are to vacate the premises at Blk XX BXX Road #XX-XX by XX Dec 2010.

4 Please contact me at XXXXXX or email [email protected] or my staff Mr Txxx Hxxx xxxt at 6xxxxxx or email [email protected] if you have any clarification.
    Wow... either your tenants are really a pain in the xxx or your neighbours are very intolerant to the slightest of noise. I use to have neighbours who'd quarrel every night, using terms of endearment such as #&^!@%# or #*@()*$ but I also didn't complain to HDB or town council. Then again what if its not the tenants but the owners who're noisy, what would HDB do? Take back possession of that unit?

Upon the 5-yr HDB MOP, can we rent out the whole HDB unit immediately whilst buying and staying in a 2nd property i.e. in total have a HDB for rental, and a private condo to stay in? thanks, not too sure on this point..

Quote Originally Posted by whoh757
    Upon the 5-yr HDB MOP, can we rent out the whole HDB unit immediately whilst buying and staying in a 2nd property i.e. in total have a HDB for rental, and a private condo to stay in? thanks, not too sure on this point..
    My reason is pretty simple. If HDB allows whole unit rental, then owners must stay elsewhere and since HDB disallows double HDB ownership, it has to be a private condo lor...

Check out HDB website, it says nothing about where the owners can stay...

Eligibility Conditions: Flat Owners

To sublet the entire flat, you need to satisfy the condition of a 3-year or 5-year Minimum Occupation Period (MOP).

You are allowed to sublet your whole flat if you have occupied your:
    • Non-subsidised flat (flat purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant) for at least 3 years if your application for the purchase of the flat was received before 30 Aug 2010;
    • Non-subsidised flat (flat purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant) for at least 5 years if your application for the purchase of the flat was received on or after 30 Aug 2010;
    • Subsidised flat (flat purchased directly from HDB or from the open market with a CPF housing grant) for at least 5 years

Flat Owners’ Responsibilities

As a flat owner subletting your flat, you will be responsible for:
    • Making sure the flat is sublet to eligible subtenants only
    • Making sure that there is no overcrowding and the number of subtenants does not exceed the maximum number allowed
    • Making sure that your subtenants have entered and are remaining in Singapore lawfully at all times (while the subletting is in force)
    • Making sure that your subtenants do not further sublet the flat to other persons
    • Making sure that your subtenants comply with all the covenants in the lease and the provisions of the Housing & Development Act and that you are responsible for all infringements, if any, committed by them
    • Informing the Comptroller of Property Tax of the subletting, and HDB of any changes in the subletting
    • Resuming occupation of your flat and ensuring your subtenants vacate the premises when:
        • The subletting is terminated, or
        • You are no longer eligible to sublet your flat
    • Surrendering the flat if the flat is repossessed by HDB

Chanced upon this reply by an agent in property guru. Hope it helps! If still uncertain, just call HDB and ask directly.

Owners may sublet their flat if they have met the minimum occupation period:

1. For non-subsidised flats (flats purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant), flat owners must have occupied their flat for at least 3 years;

2. For subsidised flats (flats purchased directly from the HDB or from the open market with a CPF housing grant), flat owners must have occupied their flat for at least 5 years.

Flat owners who meet the eligibility requirements above and who concurrently own a private property, are allowed to stay in the private property and sublet the HDB flat.

Alternatively, you may give me a call anytime at 9695-2550 for a friendly discussion. Let me know your views as I am here to help! Thank you!

Warmest Regards
    Dalen Chee

Deleted...

Default Power usually under my name too

when i was renting out my HDB, i also kept the power under my name cuz agent says if they don't pay, you know. If not, they can owe a few months and run, then you'll have some trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by tericia
    when i was renting out my HDB, i also kept the power under my name cuz agent says if they don't pay, you know. If not, they can owe a few months and run, then you'll have some trouble.
    Shd at least hold 2mths deposit lor....4-5k deposit is enuff to cover

1) Dun bank on agents to chase tenant for rental lor..
    I once use a agent from reputable DTx.. According to them, once the
    TA is sign... tis is between landlord & tenant. The agent no longer is
    compelled to serve u ! So Gd Luck to you !
    2) Not Easy to Sue tenants / chase them out
    The court of law here is pro tenant.. Takes you a lot of $ to evict the
    tenant lawfully lor.. If they insist no moving.. You also LL..

Quote Originally Posted by smallant
    1) Dun bank on agents to chase tenant for rental lor..
    I once use a agent from reputable DTx.. According to them, once the
    TA is sign... tis is between landlord & tenant. The agent no longer is
    compelled to serve u ! So Gd Luck to you !
    2) Not Easy to Sue tenants / chase them out
    The court of law here is pro tenant.. Takes you a lot of $ to evict the
    tenant lawfully lor.. If they insist no moving.. You also LL..
    Sg not so bad....some european countries r much worse....

Mabe tats y angmor r not into buying ppty to let out

Those of you who are regular landlords MUST get a good agent who can help you to chase tenants. Although it might not be technically their job to do this but the good ones will include it as part of their service to you. In this way, you can keep on giving them the job when it comes time to renew the lease. Your agent is short-sighted if he/she doesn't help you out during the tenancy.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Those of you who are regular landlords MUST get a good agent who can help you to chase tenants. Although it might not be technically their job to do this but the good ones will include it as part of their service to you. In this way, you can keep on giving them the job when it comes time to renew the lease. Your agent is short-sighted if he/she doesn't help you out during the tenancy.
    Cannot depend on agts one....they aso powerless

They cant do anything....tenants dun pay, how they chase? They only advise u wat to do to evict by SOP

So if retain power supply, how to charge that bill to tenants? Very troublesome! Or include ballpark figure into monthly rental fee so just absorb where losses if any? Or just let the monthly bill continue to bill to them under my name and they settle it themselves? Have always left the bills to tenants these years and fortunately not met any unscrupulous tenants like what's mentioned here.

MY ex-neighbor adopted the same approach as you but ended up with huge bills..

Apparently, he let his tenant to pay according to bills for utilities and phone. Everthing looks fine for two years. When contract ended per TA agreement, the tenant (A PRC couple) fly out of Singapore straight away but leave behind huge utilities bill and phone bill.

In total, my neighbor still hold 1 month deposit (which is around $1800) but yet insufficient to pay off $400++ utitlities (looks like the tenant on aircon 24/7 for the last month) and $2000++ IDD bill to UK and China during the last month. The PRC couple remain uncontactable and was told they have had migrated to UK per their parents feedback back in China.. Hope of getting $$$ back is like ZERO..

So, becareful wor when the utilities and phone is still under your name wor....

Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by westman

Apparently, he let his tenant to pay according to bills for utilities and phone. Everthing looks fine for two years. When contract ended per TA agreement, the tenant (A PRC couple) fly out of Singapore straight away but leave behind huge utilities bill and phone bill.

In total, my neighbor still hold 1 month deposit (which is around $1800) but yet insufficient to pay off $400++ utitlities (looks like the tenant on aircon 24/7 for the last month) and $2000++ IDD bill to UK and China during the last month. The PRC couple remain uncontactable and was told they have had migrated to UK per their parents feedback back in China.. Hope of getting $$$ back is like ZERO..

Has Singapore already install smart meter for electricity?
    can you set limits for electrical, & telephone? Think water is a bit harder to set limits.

If you have bad luck with the tenants, it can be a real headache . That is why I still keep my same tenant for the 3rd 2 year term, even though he is paying much less than other flats of similar size but he 100% of the time pay up the rent and no major complaints. No need to be greedy and grab another tenant who could turn out to be the tenant-from-hell.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Has Singapore already install smart meter for electricity?
    can you set limits for electrical, & telephone? Think water is a bit harder to set limits.
    pub bills not so bad...is the IDD calls tat matters!

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    If you have bad luck with the tenants, it can be a real headache . That is why I still keep my same tenant for the 3rd 2 year term, even though he is paying much less than other flats of similar size but he 100% of the time pay up the rent and no major complaints. No need to be greedy and grab another tenant who could turn out to be the tenant-from-hell.
    i met all kind of tenants b4...and my conclusion is tat race/religion/skin color doesnt matter at all!

and yes, give abit of discount to keep a gd tenant is worthwhile if u r keeping the ppty for long term

ppl say jap tenants very clean....like real only

Quote Originally Posted by westman

So what's the max if one leaves the aircon on for 24hrs a day for one full month? $1000? Maybe just let them pay the utilities bills and not the phone bill.

So what's the max if one leaves the aircon on for 24hrs a day for one full month? $1000? Maybe just let them pay the utilities bills and not the phone bill.
    not only the bills.....a/c compressor will b gone as well and the a/c ducting pipes will sweat and good game if its concealed(condos)

tat time got some1 argue wif me we dun hf to suxx excess dirty stuff in the a/c pipes at all...well, he is lucky den....my pipes got clogged and goto hack and replace a/c pipes.....cost a bomb

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    i met all kind of tenants b4...and my conclusion is tat race/religion/skin color doesnt matter at all!

and yes, give abit of discount to keep a gd tenant is worthwhile if u r keeping the ppty for long term

ppl say jap tenants very clean....like real only
    I totally agree. I knew somebody who did house cleaning for apartments after they had been rented out to Jap tenants (he was engaged by a housing agency) and he said you wouldn't believe what a mess they can leave.