Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Kiasu Parenting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by iwantgizmos
    After reading this post, I kinda agree.

During my when you get punished in school, it was really a "PUNISHMENT" Meaning, kena jialat jialat. But one good thing is, we all learnt from it. We brush these aside, and move on to be better adults.

Also last time if kena punishment in school, when you go home and tell your parents about it, parents will give you more punishment.
    Double whammy I would say.

Now, it's the opposite. Students are not scared of teachers; but instead teachers are more scared of their students.
    In the past, there are many types of punishment in the school
    1. Stand on chair
    2. Stand on Table
    3. Stand outside classroom
    4. Smack palm with Ruler
    5. Clamp pencil across fingers (I've not seen this but heard of it)
    6. Standard cane on buttock
    7. Crawl on the floor out of the classroom & back
    8. .........

Personally I don't support some of the punishment like crawling or pencil punishment.

Interestingly when I tell my parents about these punishment in school, you get a simple answer. "See. That's why you need to behave in school and stay out of trouble". It works.

One teacher uses an indirect way without having to really use the cane. He keep his Karate uniform and black belt in the class cabinet and likes to tidy up his cabinet in front of the class during break time. So everyone knew about it and behave during his class. As a child, it's human nature to have the respect & fear of a black belt karate teacher.

One teacher mentioned the most effective way is to hit where it hurts. Some horrible kids take pride in being punished by teachers in order to still look good in front of their friends so it doesn't hurt them. Make the whole class stay back during recess usually works. They really treasure their recess! But not the whole recess, maybe just 5 mins is already unbearable for them!

Some hopeless kids are even proud of public caning and the' track record' they have going to the principal's office. They treat punishment in school as an adventure, so the only way to deal with these kids is from home. Parents have to learn to take feedback from the school seriously and smack their kids for misbehaviour in school when it is due. When kids know that the system can be trifled with, they continue to manipulate the system in their own way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    One teacher mentioned the most effective way is to hit where it hurts. Some horrible kids take pride in being punished by teachers in order to still look good in front of their friends so it doesn't hurt them. Make the whole class stay back during recess usually works. They really treasure their recess! But not the whole recess, maybe just 5 mins is already unbearable for them!

That is why our new generation of Singaporeans will always tweak the system to suit their requirements and preferences. They will ask for BTO flats without MOP. They will want to rent it out immediately! It all started when they were still in school. If our country wants to have thinking citizens, it must start with a more harsh and so conducive learning environment in school.

Quote Originally Posted by extremme
    I am all for corporal punishment too! Kids nowadays are too unruly and rebellious and parents are too protective. Parents expect teachers to discipline the child but how to discipline when teachers dun have the authority anymore? I'm a firm believer of spare the rod and spoil the child. Even my 1.5 yr child now will also stop what she's doing when I threaten the cane cause she has been beaten by me so she knows I'm serious

i am for it too

AND GIRLS TO BE CANED AS WELL

for the past few years the number of serious bullying crimes are committed by girls ... but they get away ...

names withheld, no caning

talk about equality and being fair to the female gender ...
    only to breed such mozzies ...

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    i am for it too

AND GIRLS TO BE CANED AS WELL

for the past few years the number of serious bullying crimes are committed by girls ... but they get away ...

names withheld, no caning

talk about equality and being fair to the female gender ...
    only to breed such mozzies ...
    This one a bit tough. There is still a different between boys and girls.
    It's the parents that matters most. Whether to cane the girls should be decided by parents and done at home.

Besides, if a girl wear multiple panties and with the skirt on top of it, these have already reduce the impact and pain. And teachers cannot check panties.

During my days, some smart boys wear a few underwear because of this. But the teacher is not stupid. He checked and asked them to remove before he cane. Nobody dare to complain to parents about these things because parents also support caning or worst face another round of caning at home as mentioned by some here.

Just to share with you on what I heard about some parents chartered bus to pickup other childrens (parents not invited) to their child parties. This is how parents are teaching their child today.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    you won't go wrong with the cane. When they learn how to respect and obey authority, that is when they begin their true education. All those parents that shelter their kids too much will regret later on coz when kids reach a certain age and entrenched in their ways, very hard to teach them later.
    Sometimes even with the threatening of the cane they still continue what they are doing just to test the boundary to see how far they can go. Though they are so young they are already so smart to think they can get away with it. My son's a crybaby and sometimes it makes me so exasperated to see him crying over little things like his sister pull his hair I tell him if he doesn't shut up I"ll lock him alone in the room and he can cry alone. They know crying dun work with me but the dad always go cajole them whenever they cry so it's sending wrong signals to them. I don't know if I'm being too strict or teaching them e wrong way it's really not easy to bring up a child the right way.

You got to stand firm. once you let them have their way, they will see you as a paper tiger. If you study child psychology, you will learn that kids from a very young age know how to manipulate parents, even babies manipulate using their incessant crying and through deficating, but never never give in. if you let a kid manipulate the situation and you, they will grow up learning to make use of or step on others just for their own selfish gain. I know some kids may take longer to teach than others but if you persevere on, nothing its impossible.
    Sometimes even with the threatening of the cane they still continue what they are doing just to test the boundary to see how far they can go. Though they are so young they are already so smart to think they can get away with it. My son's a crybaby and sometimes it makes me so exasperated to see him crying over little things like his sister pull his hair I tell him if he doesn't shut up I"ll lock him alone in the room and he can cry alone. They know crying dun work with me but the dad always go cajole them whenever they cry so it's sending wrong signals to them. I don't know if I'm being too strict or teaching them e wrong way it's really not easy to bring up a child the right way.

You got to stand firm. once you let them have their way, they will see you as a paper tiger. If you study child psychology, you will learn that kids from a very young age know how to manipulate parents, even babies manipulate using their incessant crying and through deficating, but never never give in. if you let a kid manipulate the situation and you, they will grow up learning to make use of or step on others just for their own selfish gain. I know some kids may take longer to teach than others but if you persevere on, nothing its impossible.
    Thanks for the affirmation. Duno why some kids are so well behaved but I've got 2 terrors at home. I'm gg to stand firm and discipline them the way kids should be disciplined. Must tell the daddy to be stricter also. Of course we must all still show them love but kids should not climb all over the parents head

For the recent case of an Nsman being caught getting the maid to take it, my friend commented that next time perhaps he will put all his son's barang in
    Civilian bag then get the maid to take so Wun be caught. I Duno whether dis was said in jest or serious but just shows how parents are Polly cuddling their children now! If I ever caught my son do that I will give him a big scolding!

Do you think the Super Nanny or Nanny 911 shows are credible?
    Within 1 week can change children's behaviour?

Totally agree

Once ur child can tok oredi, jus let them cry all they want when they r naughty

Baby cannot la....hehehe

They are just like those adam khoo workshops, the kids appear to change for that moment, a while later and they go back to themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Do you think the Super Nanny or Nanny 911 shows are credible?
    Within 1 week can change children's behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    In the past, there are many types of punishment in the school
    1. Stand on chair
    2. Stand on Table
    3. Stand outside classroom
    4. Smack palm with Ruler
    5. Clamp pencil across fingers (I've not seen this but heard of it)
    6. Standard cane on buttock
    7. Crawl on the floor out of the classroom & back
    8. .........

Personally I don't support some of the punishment like crawling or pencil punishment.

Interestingly when I tell my parents about these punishment in school, you get a simple answer. "See. That's why you need to behave in school and stay out of trouble". It works.

One teacher uses an indirect way without having to really use the cane. He keep his Karate uniform and black belt in the class cabinet and likes to tidy up his cabinet in front of the class during break time. So everyone knew about it and behave during his class. As a child, it's human nature to have the respect & fear of a black belt karate teacher.
    I remember abt this chalkstick that will land on you if you are talking when the teacher is teaching too!! And the 1 metre wooden ruler!!

haha.. I kanna it a few times in class when I was young. Talked too much behind teachers back. Teacher can turn around and be a sharp thrower. Like having eyes behind like that.

The more classic one is you will see your textbooks, etc flying out of the window and falling 3 storeys down! Punishment is no book during class and then going down to retreive it later and totally humiliated! Nowadays, students actually take pride in being punished by teachers!

To add to the list:

Flying duster for talkative gals.

Stand on chair table or chair while pulling ears.

We even have some classmates that were almost thrown out of the window as our Chinese Teacher is really tall and strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5577
    To add to the list:

Now even 'suan' the student also kana complain by over protective parents! The ways kids are raised today will become the type of people we are increasingly seeing as the new generation of citizens as opposed to the way we were raised then! Hmmm...

Just heard about the incident where the parents who are lawyers sued the bus operator for the return of bus fare of $700 as the bus did not drop the child in front of the flats but 2 blocks away. The incident happened in 2008 and only settled recently with the parents winning the case. School teachers are stressed these days otherwise get sued by parents for not able to perform well and helping their child to get 4 A*. Teaching professionals will need to take up insurance to protect themselves from such liability.
    Now even 'suan' the student also kana complain by over protective parents! The ways kids are raised today will become the type of people we are increasingly seeing as the new generation of citizens as opposed to the way we were raised then! Hmmm...

flying chalk was a regular phenomenon in my pri sch class, boys or girls. occasionally there was a duster but only if its something really serious. and it works, our class produced many successful pple. alas, gone are those days.

Quote Originally Posted by 5577
    To add to the list:

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Just heard about the incident where the parents who are lawyers sued the bus operator for the return of bus fare of $700 as the bus did not drop the child in front of the flats but 2 blocks away. The incident happened in 2008 and only settled recently with the parents winning the case. School teachers are stressed these days otherwise get sued by parents for not able to perform well and helping their child to get 4 A*. Teaching professionals will need to take up insurance to protect themselves from such liability.
    No insurance want to provide this service because its a sure lose policy for the insurance company... Annual payout can be in the millions!!! LOL!

That is why teacher/school principal will pressurise parents if kids do not do well in the class even he is in the best class in the school. Need tuition and from good centre too. At the end of the day all got stress up.
    No insurance want to provide this service because its a sure lose policy for the insurance company... Annual payout can be in the millions!!! LOL!

http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/ne..._too_high.html

read this story about how the parent volunteer system has failed and invited ridicule from singaporeans.

I told you the P1 registration system is so full of problems, it must be overhauled. I hope the new minister of education is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/ne..._too_high.html

read this story about how the parent volunteer system has failed and invited ridicule from singaporeans.

I told you the P1 registration system is so full of problems, it must be overhauled. I hope the new minister of education is listening.
    He's so busy visiting schools and listening to teachers to be bothered about parents' concerns currently.

there is far worse case than this in other schools. a "mere" 40hr and complain already ? Ppl did 100hrs also couldn't get in.

it's very easy to complain "yea P1 registration is full of crap". some ppl even blame PAP for this. The fact is, as long as there is a differentiation of "TOP school" and "normal school", the situation like this is unavoidable. Ppl with the means will outdo the ones without. Removing all these "preferential" schemes, pri school registration will become either purely by distance , or by lucky draw, none of which is politically correct. PV system started as a way to help those without the means to get a place in tops schools. Without it ppl dun even have a chance at all. In the mean time, every public media, minister, MP, educator, whatever, kept on telling ppl " all schools are the same, no need to go to elite schools etc". and continue publishing stories of how "normal school" kids made it. it doesn't matter. parents will still try their best to put their kids into "named" schools. This is life.

They should go in based on merit and not how much hours parents volunteer or how near you stay from the school. Should have an entry test. Use mcq so computer can mark and not teachers who are already so busy. Those who make the mark will then enter the next phase of balloting. Can keep other phases like alumni or sibling affiliation though!

They should go in based on merit and not how much hours parents volunteer or how near you stay from the school. Should have an entry test. Use mcq so computer can mark and not teachers who are already so busy. Those who make the mark will then enter the next phase of balloting. Can keep other phases like alumni or sibling affiliation though!
    wow, you are so cruel. only 6 years old, and they have to do a test to get into a primary school.

not feasible. kids so young and their talent has not been fully developed. The good performers in early life normally are losers when they grow up, as they say in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    wow, you are so cruel. only 6 years old, and they have to do a test to get into a primary school.

not feasible. kids so young and their talent has not been fully developed. The good performers in early life normally are losers when they grow up, as they say in the west.
    6 years old and need to do test? the poor kids nowadays are already so stressed at such a tender age. Will be worse if need them to have an admission test. Then this is totally not fair to poorer parents who cannot afford to send their children to enrichment classes beyond kindergarten as likely their child will not perform so well as kids who attend enrichment

6 years old and need to do test? the poor kids nowadays are already so stressed at such a tender age. Will be worse if need them to have an admission test. Then this is totally not fair to poorer parents who cannot afford to send their children to enrichment classes beyond kindergarten as likely their child will not perform so well as kids who attend enrichment
    distance should be the only criterion. You don't want little johnny or Melissa to trek a long way or spend hours on the bus to get to school.

all the other criteria such as volunteering and memberships in this and that should be chucked out of the window. these are just invitations to game the system to get an unfair advantage.

I remembered my son's school has a simple test during the registration day in Nov/Dec. It is used as a yardstick to ask parents to help their children to improve if they relatively weak in certain areas. Not sure if they also use this to assign them to different classes in Primary 1.