Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Official Kiasu Parenting Thread

If there's entry tests for P1 then the poor kids will really have no childhood. From nursery or even earlier will be spent cramming the kid for the test.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    I remembered my son's school has a simple test during the registration day in Nov/Dec. It is used as a yardstick to ask parents to help their children to improve if they relatively weak in certain areas. Not sure if they also use this to assign them to different classes in Primary 1.
    I hope it is not. it would be so horrible if they did. elitism should not be promoted at such a young age. kids should be exposed to kids of different abilities, so that they will develop compassion and sense of togetherness. while streaming is good in identifying talented kids early on, it runs the risk of creating little monsters with high IQs but zero compassion for others.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    distance should be the only criterion.
    so we should promote propertism instead ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    I hope it is not. it would be so horrible if they did. elitism should not be promoted at such a young age. kids should be exposed to kids of different abilities, so that they will develop compassion and sense of togetherness. while streaming is good in identifying talented kids early on, it runs the risk of creating little monsters with high IQs but zero compassion for others.
    If you think negatively you will see it as a test to identify the elite. But if you view it positively, it may be good for identifying children with lesser abilities and allow them to learn at their own pace and capability.

What makes you think having low ability classmates will cultivate compassion in high IQ children? Also, have you thought about how demoralising it can be for a low ability child to be in a class of high ability classmates?

Every method of pri 1 registration has the potential to be misused and abused. Staying nearby favours the rich who can go house shopping. Parent volunteer too is ugly in its revelation of the spirit of 'kiasuism'. Entry tests too favours those who learns faster and may potentially casued parents to force that poor child to start preparing for it 3 years ahead of time. Can it then just stop at phase 2A or something and the rest will be purely based on balloting?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    so we should promote propertism instead ha ha ha
    Dat s prob a factor y housing near nanyang primary r so exp

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    The case of the PE teacher who attacked the 8 year old kid I think is blown out of proportion. Back in those days we get smacked by teachers and discipline masters all the time for doing the wrong things so I do not think this case warrants a sacking (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...075249994.html). As a kid, I will never dare run away from a lesson no matter how boring it is, it just shows the kind of poor upbringing this kid has. Some kids really deserve a smacking for their terrible conduct, if the parents don't smack them, then someone has to do it. I am all for corporal punishment and I think they should bring it back to schools.
    to be fair... if the teacher complained about my boy walked out of the class, he will kena big time from me and the teacher can give him detention or scolding I am ok too. BUT if the teacher pulled my boy hair and kicked him, I think it's too much right? During my school days I dun see that...

Have you heard of kids that punch and bite the teacher? In my business, I have come across a number of such kids, not 7 year old but 10/11 year olds. Do you expect the teacher to treat such kids in a sayang sayang manner? From experience, it is useless telling those useless parents who do not know how to educate their own children that is why some teachers have to take drastic measures. Please think for a moment, would a teacher prefer smacking kids in school or to just teach peacefully and go home? Most teachers I know just want to do their job and stay away from all those problem kids. If you ever hear of your kid being hit in school by a teacher, you should really examine your kid first coz a teacher does not usually resort to such draconian measures if the kid is well behaved
    Quote Originally Posted by novel
    to be fair... if the teacher complained about my boy walked out of the class, he will kena big time from me and the teacher can give him detention or scolding I am ok too. BUT if the teacher pulled my boy hair and kicked him, I think it's too much right? During my school days I dun see that...

Have you heard of kids that punch and bite the teacher? In my business, I have come across a number of such kids, not 7 year old but 10/11 year olds. Do you expect the teacher to treat such kids in a sayang sayang manner? From experience, it is useless telling those useless parents who do not know how to educate their own children that is why some teachers have to take drastic measures. Please think for a moment, would a teacher prefer smacking kids in school or to just teach peacefully and go home? Most teachers I know just want to do their job and stay away from all those problem kids. If you ever hear of your kid being hit in school by a teacher, you should really examine your kid first coz a teacher does not usually resort to such draconian measures if the kid is well behaved
    I would have to agree with you on this. Furthermore there are so much news that shed negative light of teachers that teachers are generally more aware and therefore more prudent and careful in dealing with students so they will not unnccessarily subject themselves to such scrutiny.

I've also heard of a student who threw a chair at a teacher in class because that teacher mentioned he's got a nice haircut but this child just fought with his father at home concerning his refusal to cut his hair. Well should we tolerate such behaviors?

Then again there are a minority of teachers who should be taken to task too for stepping out of the boundary in school but there are always that group of people in every profession!

I agree with this too !
    Nowadays teachers will stay away from all "high profile" kids.
    Teachers just want to live without all the drama and earn a living month-to-month.
    When I was in school, teachers were more passionate. Getting punished is a norm, and that what's make us learn to be better adults.

Looking back, it's amazing to see how teachers from my generation are sharpshooters. Any projectile that they throw, confirm the student kena hit one. LOL. Those were the times... Really miss it...

precisely, it takes so much more energy to punish a kid than to just do the job of teaching, I really take my hats off to teachers of the past who bother to dispense with extra energy to discipline the kid, something that parents are not even bothered to do. That is why I say a lot of parents today are short-sighted and only see things at the superficial level and having their kids treated like customers and not be touched or disciplined. I think the kids of these parents who like to complain should just be left to rot in the system
    Quote Originally Posted by iwantgizmos
    I agree with this too !
    Nowadays teachers will stay away from all "high profile" kids.
    Teachers just want to live without all the drama and earn a living month-to-month.
    When I was in school, teachers were more passionate. Getting punished is a norm, and that what's make us learn to be better adults.

Looking back, it's amazing to see how teachers from my generation are sharpshooters. Any projectile that they throw, confirm the student kena hit one. LOL. Those were the times... Really miss it...

precisely, it takes so much more energy to punish a kid than to just do the job of teaching, I really take my hats off to teachers of the past who bother to dispense with extra energy to discipline the kid, something that parents are not even bothered to do. That is why I say a lot of parents today are short-sighted and only see things at the superficial level and having their kids treated like customers and not be touched or disciplined. I think the kids of these parents who like to complain should just be left to rot in the system
    Glad to know that we share the same sentiments about parents' responsibility in raising their own kids and not push that responsibility to teachers. Anyway, I am also aware that these teachers sometimes are reprimanded for not disciplining the kids when these kids misbehave. So reprimand also cannot, don't reprimand also cannot. So how?

However I do notice a slight change in singapore's parents. In the past, parents used to be very ok when teachers execute discipline on their kids. Then it came to a point when parents become overprotective and scream at the slightest discipline met out on their kids. However, recently, I do sense that parents are becoming more aware of the need not to be so overprotective and more accommodating on the teacher's discipling their children. Or am I just hanging out with parents who share the same sentiments as myself? Hmmm...

Over-protectionalism is a result of guilt and self-induced one or two child policy in singapore. As mentioned in my earlier postings, parents who feel a sense of guilt for not spending too much time with their kids tend to overshower their kids with attention and display signs of over-protectionalism. I overheard parents telling their kid that if they got top five in class, they can choose anything they wanted from the apple shop, I also come across parents inculcating in their kids that doing well in school is already a reward in itself as it will be a good start for them in life. It is all about mindset and how our next generation become depends very much on the parents and government of today. Sad to say with the current govt and education system, there isn't much empathy in kids of today.
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Glad to know that we share the same sentiments about parents' responsibility in raising their own kids and not push that responsibility to teachers. Anyway, I am also aware that these teachers sometimes are reprimanded for not disciplining the kids when these kids misbehave. So reprimand also cannot, don't reprimand also cannot. So how?

However I do notice a slight change in singapore's parents. In the past, parents used to be very ok when teachers execute discipline on their kids. Then it came to a point when parents become overprotective and scream at the slightest discipline met out on their kids. However, recently, I do sense that parents are becoming more aware of the need not to be so overprotective and more accommodating on the teacher's discipling their children. Or am I just hanging out with parents who share the same sentiments as myself? Hmmm...