Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Kiasu Parenting Thread

Default Official Kiasu Parenting Thread

Appreciate we can move all discussions on parenting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadey
    Appreciate we can move all discussions on parenting here.
    why here? this is a property forum? shouldn't interested parties go to the KiasuParents forum instead?

coz there was a lot of discussion in the "property market sentiments" thread. so at least this new thread is better than digressing there.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    why here? this is a property forum? shouldn't interested parties go to the KiasuParents forum instead?

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    As much as kiasuparent forum discusses potential of buying properties near schools, we also need to discuss schools around our properties... they may well go hand in hand for one affects the other!

yeah. i think more relevant than the politics thread. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    As much as kiasuparent forum discusses potential of buying properties near schools, we also need to discuss schools around our properties... they may well go hand in hand for one affects the other!

Default top pri sch, lady teacher from china

I heard the school is Ai Tong...

but ai tong still no. 1 in take up rate/balloting. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    I heard the school is Ai Tong...

PE teacher attacks 8-year-old boy

By kaifong | SingaporeScene – 6 hours ago

A PE teacher has been sacked after she physically abused an eight-year-old pupil during her lesson. (Getty Images/File …

A Physical Education (PE) teacher from a top primary school in the north has been sacked after she tackled a pupil during her lesson last Thursday.
    The female coach, a Chinese national, chased after a Primary 2 boy after he walked out of her volleyball class, reported The New Paper.

She was said to have wrestled him to the ground in the school's hall after grabbing him by his hair — all in full view of the rest of the class of eight-year-olds.

While the school declined to give details of the incident, it has acknowledged the matter and has conducted an investigation.

The school principal would say only that the coach "admitted to pulling the pupil's hair".

According to local media sources, the coach also nudged the pupil's head with her hand and tapped him on the foot.

A parent, who did not wish to be named, said her daughter's class had been going through a PE lesson on volleyball when the incident happened.
    The victim of abuse allegedly walked out of the class as he found it "boring and repetitive", she said. The parent added that the enraged coach then allegedly slapped and kicked the pupil.

But the boy managed to free himself from the coach's grip and ran off to hide in a nearby toilet.

Another parent, a businessman in his 40s who also declined to be named, said his son, who witnessed the incident was badly affected by the violence.

"My son said he told the teacher to stop, but she didn't. He was so affected that he cried," said the father.

A third mother said her daughter was now "afraid" to attend PE lessons.
    According to counselors, such reactions from children who witnessed the fracas are understandable.

Addressing the issue, the principal sent an online note entitled "Care and Well-Being are Fundamental" to parents on Monday.

In the note, the principal reassured parents that "the school leaders have met up with the coach and the teachers concerned to establish the facts of the case" and that "the school will take the necessary actions against any staff member and coach who resorts to corporal punishment during school lessons".

The principal added that the school has counseled the child concerned and will continue to work closely with his form teacher and parent to ensure his well-being.

"We want to assure all parents that your child's well-being is my key concern… and that we take a serious view of any corporal punishment in school" he wrote.

However, another parent, a businessman in his 40s who wanted to be known only as Tan, felt there must have been more to the incident.
    While he disapproved of what the teacher did, he said that it must have taken "two hands to clap".

"I don't think the teacher would have lost her temper and laid hands on the boy if he has not made her angry in the first place," he said.

Adding that his son has been in the same class as the boy since Primary 1, Tan also claimed that there have been parents who have complained to the school about the boy's behaviour.

His claims, however, could not be verified. Attempts to contact the boy's parents were unsuccessful while the school did not comment on the child's behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    Check out this other chinese national teacher I've just posted! Same school???
    Last edited by ysyap; 20-07-11 at 22:30.

eerm, its the same article lah. LOL.

Check out this other chinese national teacher I've just posted! Same school???

eerm, its the same article lah. LOL.
    LOL... ok... so may not send kids to ai tong after all???

LOL... ok... so may not send kids to ai tong after all???
    Maybe the teacher thought the school's name is 爱痛 Ai Tong (love pain)....

many kids I have come across in today's generation are really a lost cause. Everything has to be done for them by their maids and how often I see kids yelling at their maids to do things, absolutely poor upbringing. This is often the case when parents are too busy making money outside and leaving the of nurturing kids to maids and childcare/student care centres. These same children will grow up to be wimps and will not be able to take the hard knocks in life. It is even sadder to see parents slogging day and night to save up and buy a house for their wimpy kids and fighting hard to get them into elite schools in the early years in the hope that they will get a good headstart in life. You nurture your kid and discipline them well at an early age at home and it doesn't matter what primary school they go to, they will excel. I have come across too many wimps going to elite primary schools but in the end still can't make it coz their parents don't know how to educate and discipline their kids at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    many kids I have come across in today's generation are really a lost cause. Everything has to be done for them by their maids and how often I see kids yelling at their maids to do things, absolutely poor upbringing. This is often the case when parents are too busy making money outside and leaving the of nurturing kids to maids and childcare/student care centres. These same children will grow up to be wimps and will not be able to take the hard knocks in life. It is even sadder to see parents slogging day and night to save up and buy a house for their wimpy kids and fighting hard to get them into elite schools in the early years in the hope that they will get a good headstart in life. You nurture your kid and discipline them well at an early age at home and it doesn't matter what primary school they go to, they will excel. I have come across too many wimps going to elite primary schools but in the end still can't make it coz their parents don't know how to educate and discipline their kids at home.
    I share the same sentiments as you. I hear and see kids not only scolding the maids but they secretly believe the world revolves around them. They expect people to pick up their left overs or to clear their mess. If from young they have been taught to clean up after them, they will not develop such behaviors or expectations during their teenage years. They will also inconvenience people around them in order to make things easier for themselves. Its sometimes frightening to even listen to the demands they make.

The worse thing is when their children turn out 'not so good' during secondary school, parents scold the school teachers, saying, 'I send my kids to your school so you can teach him/her but why did he/she start to steal, etc?'

This is not a case of kiasu parent but more of a bo chap parent.

Then again I've also seen some really well mannered kids and we are usually quick to conclude that these are the kids whose parents really care and take pains to teach and educate them at home. Like it or not, the type of children reflects the type of parents they have.

Having said that, we must also be careful not to over generalize. There are always exceptions when parents spend so much time teaching their kids but they just did not turn out the desired way.

Got this from Kiasuparents Forum:-

Actually phase 1 & 2 should only for Singapore citizens (excluding those who turn Singaporean after 2005 who falls under Phase 3).
    Phase 3 for PR , with phase 3a (siblings) 3b( pv) & 3c.
    Phase 4 for foreigners.

If a PR child already in the sch n coming next yr got sibling wanna enroll then he will only be qualify in 3a unless they convert to Singaporean.

Those comments in red are added by me. The reason for the criteria is because the huge influx of PRs only came about after 2005 and there just wasn't enough schools to cater to this influx. Therefore, Singaporean's basic rights of education should be preserved.

but ai tong still no. 1 in take up rate/balloting. LOL.
    And lots of parent volunteer signing up still.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    And lots of parent volunteer signing up still.
    If the above article is really from Ai Tong, then it will not be number one for long!

Being a foreigner, so non-PR, not staying within 1km, non-parent volunteer, what are the chances of me sending my kids to top schools?
    If really very low chance, then have to use traditional methods, which leads me to this question:
    Does donations to top primary and secondary schools still matters?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Being a foreigner, so non-PR, not staying within 1km, non-parent volunteer, what are the chances of me sending my kids to top schools?
    If really very low chance, then have to use traditional methods, which leads me to this question:
    Hi, anyone send your kids to Hong wen school or Kuo chuan presbyterian primary?
    I am considering putting my girl in either one in 2013.

from MOE's FAQ page:

56. Can I donate to the school in order to get a place for my child?

The buying of school places is strictly not allowed. All school principals are aware that under no circumstances are they to solicit or accept donations in exchange for school places.

from MOE's FAQ page:

56. Can I donate to the school in order to get a place for my child?

The buying of school places is strictly not allowed. All school principals are aware that under no circumstances are they to solicit or accept donations in exchange for school places.
    Thanks very much for the info.

However, this leads me to another question.
    usually the biggest rush is during the primary1 and secondary1 registration periods and there will be no places for kids from people like me.
    However, between primary1 to 6 and secondary1 to 4, there will be dropouts in top schools.
    Is there any obstacles to enter kids to top schools during primary 3 or secondary 2? Any waiting list of the sort?

Thanks very much for the info.

However, this leads me to another question.
    usually the biggest rush is during the primary1 and secondary1 registration periods and there will be no places for kids from people like me.
    However, between primary1 to 6 and secondary1 to 4, there will be dropouts in top schools.
    Is there any obstacles to enter kids to top schools during primary 3 or secondary 2? Any waiting list of the sort?
    I guess it varies school to school. It is in your interest to just call up the school of your choice and make more detailed enquiries. Yes there is usually a waiting list for good or elite schools subjected to MOE's approval for govt schools and interviews for independent schools. School administrators will be able to better advise you on this matter.

These parents who think their kids can do no wrong will put the blame on teachers and tutors. I have heard parents saying all kinds of nasty things about tutors and teachers and commented they don't know how to teach their kids, but the parents never realise that there are also many students who excel under the guidance of the same teacher in school so what are they talking about.

The case of the PE teacher who attacked the 8 year old kid I think is blown out of proportion. Back in those days we get smacked by teachers and discipline masters all the time for doing the wrong things so I do not think this case warrants a sacking (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...075249994.html). As a kid, I will never dare run away from a lesson no matter how boring it is, it just shows the kind of poor upbringing this kid has. Some kids really deserve a smacking for their terrible conduct, if the parents don't smack them, then someone has to do it. I am all for corporal punishment and I think they should bring it back to schools.

I share the same sentiments as you. I hear and see kids not only scolding the maids but they secretly believe the world revolves around them. They expect people to pick up their left overs or to clear their mess. If from young they have been taught to clean up after them, they will not develop such behaviors or expectations during their teenage years. They will also inconvenience people around them in order to make things easier for themselves. Its sometimes frightening to even listen to the demands they make.

The worse thing is when their children turn out 'not so good' during secondary school, parents scold the school teachers, saying, 'I send my kids to your school so you can teach him/her but why did he/she start to steal, etc?'

This is not a case of kiasu parent but more of a bo chap parent.

Then again I've also seen some really well mannered kids and we are usually quick to conclude that these are the kids whose parents really care and take pains to teach and educate them at home. Like it or not, the type of children reflects the type of parents they have.

Having said that, we must also be careful not to over generalize. There are always exceptions when parents spend so much time teaching their kids but they just did not turn out the desired way.

These parents who think their kids can do no wrong will put the blame on teachers and tutors. I have heard parents saying all kinds of nasty things about tutors and teachers and commented they don't know how to teach their kids, but the parents never realise that there are also many students who excel under the guidance of the same teacher in school so what are they talking about.

The case of the PE teacher who attacked the 8 year old kid I think is blown out of proportion. Back in those days we get smacked by teachers and discipline masters all the time for doing the wrong things so I do not think this case warrants a sacking (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...075249994.html). As a kid, I will never dare run away from a lesson no matter how boring it is, it just shows the kind of poor upbringing this kid has. Some kids really deserve a smacking for their terrible conduct, if the parents don't smack them, then someone has to do it. I am all for corporal punishment and I think they should bring it back to schools.
    Yes yes... teachers get complained by parents for not teaching their kids well. Teachers also get complained for disciplining the kids... So what they want? LOL!

I think these parents should just quit their jobs and teach their own kids at home. If their kids still don't do well in school or have behavioural problems, they can look into the mirror and vent their frustration at the person in it.

Yes yes... teachers get complained by parents for not teaching their kids well. Teachers also get complained for disciplining the kids... So what they want? LOL!

After reading this post, I kinda agree.

During my when you get punished in school, it was really a "PUNISHMENT" Meaning, kena jialat jialat. But one good thing is, we all learnt from it. We brush these aside, and move on to be better adults.

Also last time if kena punishment in school, when you go home and tell your parents about it, parents will give you more punishment.
    Double whammy I would say.

Now, it's the opposite. Students are not scared of teachers; but instead teachers are more scared of their students.

Some minister who thought he was damn smart came up with the idea of treating students as clients and also took away corporal punishment. That was where all the problem we have today started. If teachers treat students as clients, then it gives parents and students the idea that clients are always right and leaves very little room for teachers to educate the kid. Education is not just about standing in front of the class to teach, some students who have gone wayward as a result of poor discipline and upbringing at home requires teachers in schools to take extra measures or even punish them to get them back on the right track. If that privilege is taken away from the teachers, then the kids will just have to be left alone to rot in the system. Many teachers i know these days have resigned to it and choose to let the students be coz they do not have that extra energy left after all the admin work to pay individual attention to wayward kids anymore. Corporal punishment is the only way to bring these kids back, something that parents wrongfully opt out of the system. I can only say these parents are incredibly shortsighted. Because parents of today limit themselves to having one or two kids at most and leave most of the caring to kids, they tend to dote on their kids more giving them anything they want and spoiling them as a result. PArents do that to make it up to the kids and to satisfy their guilty conscience but they are doing the kids more harm than good. I have seen too many such cases and when these parents ask me what i can do to help their kids, i am often too polite to tell them it is due to their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by iwantgizmos
    After reading this post, I kinda agree.

During my when you get punished in school, it was really a "PUNISHMENT" Meaning, kena jialat jialat. But one good thing is, we all learnt from it. We brush these aside, and move on to be better adults.

Also last time if kena punishment in school, when you go home and tell your parents about it, parents will give you more punishment.
    Double whammy I would say.

Now, it's the opposite. Students are not scared of teachers; but instead teachers are more scared of their students.

I am all for corporal punishment too! Kids nowadays are too unruly and rebellious and parents are too protective. Parents expect teachers to discipline the child but how to discipline when teachers dun have the authority anymore? I'm a firm believer of spare the rod and spoil the child. Even my 1.5 yr child now will also stop what she's doing when I threaten the cane cause she has been beaten by me so she knows I'm serious

you won't go wrong with the cane. When they learn how to respect and obey authority, that is when they begin their true education. All those parents that shelter their kids too much will regret later on coz when kids reach a certain age and entrenched in their ways, very hard to teach them later.

Quote Originally Posted by extremme
    I am all for corporal punishment too! Kids nowadays are too unruly and rebellious and parents are too protective. Parents expect teachers to discipline the child but how to discipline when teachers dun have the authority anymore? I'm a firm believer of spare the rod and spoil the child. Even my 1.5 yr child now will also stop what she's doing when I threaten the cane cause she has been beaten by me so she knows I'm serious