Thread: Too many condos destroying greenery

Default Too many condos destroying greenery

Developers should be taxed and the $ be given to NParks to grow and maintain more greenery

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Developers should be taxed and the $ be given to NParks to grow and maintain more greenery
    I thought they build a lot of trees/greeneries in the development also? Some developers even planned planters in layout last time!

Long time ago, i heard that Singapore build a tree for every tree it chops.. Dunno whether it still holds true..

Quote Originally Posted by linchong84
    I thought they build a lot of trees/greeneries in the development also? Some developers even planned planters in layout last time!

Long time ago, i heard that Singapore build a tree for every tree it chops.. Dunno whether it still holds true..
    The new trees NParks is growing nowadays are those useless easy to maintain type without sufficient foliage to cool the surrounding. The Barden by the Bay will suck in lots of electricity to maintain the temperature and humidity that the power stations spew out more global warming gas and pollutants. It's getting hotter and more crowded here

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Please don't suggest.... If developers are taxed, the additional costs will be passed down to the homebuyers to maintain their profit margin. So we are actually the one taxed.

Anyway I thought NParks is doing quite a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Please don't suggest.... If developers are taxed, the additional costs will be passed down to the homebuyers to maintain their profit margin. So we are actually the one taxed.

Anyway I thought NParks is doing quite a good job.

Npark is doing a pretty good job ...

one area though they are not strict enuff

they contract the sweeping ... and my understanding from my conversation with NPARK is that the contract cleaners are to sweep up all the leaves on alternate days ... but in many areas they are not seen for at least a week ...

NPARK lacks the control on this part

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    Npark is doing a pretty good job ...

one area though they are not strict enuff

they contract the sweeping ... and my understanding from my conversation with NPARK is that the contract cleaners are to sweep up all the leaves on alternate days ... but in many areas they are not seen for at least a week ...

NPARK lacks the control on this part
    Exactly, supervision is sorely lacking.

A bigger problem other than the frequency of the sweeping is the way they sweep. I have observed many of them sweeping the leaves or cut grass into the drain holes instead of scooping them up into the trash bags (which they seem hold on to just for show).

This causes the drains to choke up. I wonder if all the dengue or flood problems are related to this.

Maybe thats why projects in ulu locations are getting popular with premium pricing marketed with lush greenery views. Thomson Grand, Foresque Residences and Miltonia residences are just some examples.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Maybe thats why projects in ulu locations are getting popular with premium pricing marketed with lush greenery views. Thomson Grand, Foresque Residences and Miltonia residences are just some examples.

Singapore is just only slightly north of the equator, if Singapore becomes like Hong Kong and builds mostly concrete, it will be like living in a toaster with the building wall like heater panels.

Maybe it is my imagination but I find certain areas are becoming hotter than others. Like in the East Coast, Katong area is hotter than say Siglap where there is less build up.

I think greenery is not just good visually but it also helps with absorbing some of the heat from the sun

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Singapore is just only slightly north of the equator, if Singapore becomes like Hong Kong and builds mostly concrete, it will be like living in a toaster with the building wall like heater panels.

Maybe it is my imagination but I find certain areas are becoming hotter than others. Like in the East Coast, Katong area is hotter than say Siglap where there is less build up.

I think greenery is not just good visually but it also helps with absorbing some of the heat from the sun
    u all never done reservist before? safti area is definitely the hottest even though there are a lot of trees there..

Quote Originally Posted by linchong84
    u all never done reservist before? safti area is definitely the hottest even though there are a lot of trees there..
    Ahhh... but have you done FIBUA? I think that one hotter right?

i think there are more foreigners in singapore than trees...

Most of the trees and grasses are FT imports in the greenery sense.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    i think there are more foreigners in singapore than trees...
    In time to come, there'll be more foreigners than locals, if govt continue their policy.

Interesting footage of Singapore in 1987 taken by some tourists.

http://youtu.be/KZ47rBdhWNQ

Takashimaya was not complete.
    Tampines MRT was still building
    The bedok reservoir HUDC is now waterfront collections.