Thread: URA fine-tuning rules for developers after feedback

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default URA fine-tuning rules for developers after feedback

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...74340,00.html?

Published August 5, 2011

URA fine-tuning rules for developers after feedback

New home marketing rules slated for year- end implementation

By EMILYN YAP

(SINGAPORE) A set of new rules which will affect the way developers market residential projects and the information they share could kick in by year-end, after the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) received strong support for the proposed changes.

The proposals, meant to help prospective home buyers make better-informed decisions, were first announced by URA in March. They will come under the Housing Developers (Control & Licensing) Act (HDCLA) and Housing Developers Rules (HDR).

A public consultation from March 17 to April 18 attracted feedback from more than 100 respondents, including developers, property agents, solicitors, property consultants and other members of the public.

Respondents generally agreed with the suggestions. For instance, they saw a need for rules to ensure that showflats depict actual units accurately. They also felt that developers should provide price lists of units available for sale to prospective home buyers, and publish prices of units sold on a weekly basis.

There were even new suggestions from respondents, which URA will incorporate into the HDCLA and HDR. One is to extend the controls under the HDCLA to all housing developers - not just those building projects with more than four units - so that buyers of units in smaller developments can also be protected under the HDCLA.

Respondents also asked that developers provide a further breakdown of strata floor areas by rooms. They should state not just the sizes of balconies and private enclosed spaces, but also the sizes of individual bedrooms and the kitchen or dining area.

A third suggestion was for URA to list on its website developers which have breached provisions under the HDCLA or HDR, and had their sale licences suspended. The name published will be that of the licensed developer.

A URA spokesman told BT that the agency will announce the implementation date later as it is refining details for some of the proposals, in consultation with the industry. The changes could take effect by year-end.

Market watchers generally took the potential changes in their stride. Most developers have been professional and 'I don't think there's a big adjustment that developers have to make', said DTZ Southeast Asia chief operating officer Ong Choon Fah.

For instance, the plan to name developers which had their sale licences suspended could be more of a 'safeguard' than a response to any problem, Mrs Ong said. As URA also said, it has not suspended the sale licence of any developer in the last three years.

Knight Frank research head Png Poh Soon felt that the proposed changes are an important step in enhancing the property market's transparency. But he added that due consideration should be given to implementation details, to 'avoid overburdening developers administratively'.

For instance, it would be useful for developers to provide a further breakdown of strata floor areas, but there should be room for adjustments 'within reasonable and acceptable market standards'.

Default Soon: Room sizes of new homes 'must be spelt out'

http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNew...ry_698594.html

Aug 5, 2011

Soon: Room sizes of new homes 'must be spelt out'

By Cheryl Lim

THE days when a buyer finds the sofa does not fit into his new home may soon be over, thanks to tough new rules that will force developers to measure up to the floor plans and flashy showflats they use in the sales campaign.

The floor area of rooms in a new unit, from balconies to bedrooms and the dining area, will have to be accurately outlined so buyers can be confident that they will get what they paid for, down to the last inch.

An initial suggestion had asked developers to give measurements of only spaces like balconies and planters.

The relevant rules and regulations will be amended for this and other earlier proposals, the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) said yesterday.

Mr Colin Tan, head of research at Chesterton Suntec International, applauded the move to break down homes by room size but suggested it be taken further.

'It would be better if it is made a requirement that this information be carried in the title deeds or some documents. If the first buyer is entitled to know all this information, why not subsequent buyers?' he said.

Another key change will see the revised rules applied to all housing developers, even small operators that might be building four units or less.

The move will set a standard across the industry, said analysts, and will reassure buyers that no developer is exempt from the rules.

Another key change will involve the URA naming developers that have violated these and other regulations. This list will be posted on the URA website.

SLP International's executive director of research and consultancy Nicholas Mak said the naming and shaming exercise might hit the sales of offending firms.

These three new proposals announced yesterday were in response to feedback from an online consultation held in March and April.

The consultation was on a range of proposals put forward by the URA to give buyers better access to accurate and timely information about the market and the units that they are buying.

URA said yesterday that feedback was positive with more than 100 respondents backing the proposals.

It added that it will finalise the changes to the Housing Developers (Control & Licensing) Act (HDCA) and the Housing Developers Rules (HDR) and the rules will come into effect 'in due course'.

Among the earlier proposals, developers have to get consent from buyers if they want to change a project that has already racked up sales.

Developers will also have to provide information on their track record in earlier projects before issuing the option to purchase.

Developers are not taking any chances, with some telling The Straits Times that their showflats already comply with the proposed changes.

Mr Satia Narjadin, director of Global Orion Properties, said the rule changes would definitely mean extra costs for his firm.

'But if it applies only to the design of the showflat like adding an extra sliding door or redesigning brochures then the cost is negligible compared to the entire cost of launching a new project,' he said.

Sales consultant Clement Yap, a prospective buyer in his mid-40s, said previous experiences have made him sceptical about showflats.

While he hopes that there will be a clearer system of filing complaints about offending developers, he is confident that the proposed guidelines will offer more security for buyers like himself.

The greatest loop-hole which is the air-con ledge is still not patched yet? The above are cosmetic changes only. Genuine buyers will find out by visiting showflats anyway. There is nothing the buyers can do with huge air-con ledges.

Work backwards, if all rooms are measured including kitchen and living. U will get it.

very simple.....jus include the dimensions on the flr plan. and also list out the balcony and a/c ledge sizes which FEO had oredi did it for the past few projects.....FEO transparent! whahaha

i haf been FEO supporter!

BUT y must wait so long to implement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually.. the biggest headachle I have with the developer is the blacnk cheq thingie.. Past used to indicate in the papers clearly what is the psf..

Now .. everywhere is u give me blank cheq ! What is this ! Worst than buying car ! Tis only happen in singapore !

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    very simple.....jus include the dimensions on the flr plan. and also list out the balcony and a/c ledge sizes which FEO had oredi did it for the past few projects.....FEO transparent! whahaha

i haf been FEO supporter!

BUT y must wait so long to implement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I tried to get the dimensions of BUC from other developers (not FEO) and they insisted on not giving it. They only say when TOP, get contractor to go down to measure. I suspect they are protecting themselves in case they need to make minor adjustments to the dimensions because of last minute changes, they can do it w/o worrying that buyers will complain later. Any other reasons for such a practice?

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    I tried to get the dimensions of BUC from other developers (not FEO) and they insisted on not giving it. They only say when TOP, get contractor to go down to measure. I suspect they are protecting themselves in case they need to make minor adjustments to the dimensions because of last minute changes, they can do it w/o worrying that buyers will complain later. Any other reasons for such a practice?
    i tot blueprint must oredi confirmed and approved by URA before developer allow to sell?

i tot blueprint must oredi confirmed and approved by URA before developer allow to sell?
    Hmmm... think its more for structural stability than small details which may not be fully reflected on blueprints. Not too sure though! I certainly was denied access to the dimensions for my own property!

Hmmm... think its more for structural stability than small details which may not be fully reflected on blueprints. Not too sure though! I certainly was denied access to the dimensions for my own property!
    yes! i was rejected outright for jus the size of the balcony+ac ledge+watever void....these figure only available upon receiving S&P!!

Singapore is so far behind HK and Malaysia on detailing the areas of units in the sale brochures.

actually the thing that pissed me off is the 3% tolerance for area.
    Now got laser distance meter, can measure to 3 decimal places also 3%.
    1000sqft, error can be 30sqft meh?
    imagine you pay for 1000sqft, but received only 970sqft. dimensions for balcony, airconledge, planter accurate as in brochure. They cut 30sqft from the living room space, can save money on marble, granite etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Singapore is so far behind HK and Malaysia on detailing the areas of units in the sale brochures.
    Much to work on...

yes! i was rejected outright for jus the size of the balcony+ac ledge+watever void....these figure only available upon receiving S&P!!
    Did your S&P spell out the dimensions and size of balcony, etc?

go and buy.. very cheap

http://www.bca.gov.sg/BuildingInfoPl...opy_plans.html

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    So does HDB catalogues come with dimensions or also must go buy?

So does HDB catalogues come with dimensions or also must go buy?
    HDB plans buy from HDB

https://services2.hdb.gov.sg/webapp/BC31ISOP2/BC31SMain

laggi cheaper!

Bring contractor down to measure laggi cheapest!

Yes blueprint is given but on A4 size. Moreover, the numbers are so tiny you cannot read! When asked to provide clearer image of the floor plan, no one reply me! LOL!
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?

Quote Originally Posted by ecimbew
    Yes blueprint is given but on A4 size. Moreover, the numbers are so tiny you cannot read! When asked to provide clearer image of the floor plan, no one reply me! LOL!
    Yes its like they are trying to hide something... so irritating. Hopefully the new ruling bridges this gap.