Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: PE: Four-cornered fight for Presidential race

The daughter is a metaphor for singaporeans and their reserves. The father are the stupid voters who voted for tt and those in pap who endorse him. The rapist you should know who
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    It's the daughters fault. The sons didn't choose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    The daughter is a metaphor for singaporeans and their reserves. The father are the stupid voters who voted for tt and those in pap who endorse him. The rapist you should know who

Can marry and live happily ever after and produce lots of sons?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banya...-new-president
    Singapore elects a new president

Tantamount to a humiliation
    Aug 28th 2011, 8:07 by Banyan

PRESIDENTIAL elections in Singapore rarely set pulses racing. The job is that of a well-paid but largely ceremonial head of state, who is not allowed to represent any particular party.*The poll on August 27th was the fourth time the post has been directly elected, but the first time there has been any doubt at all about the outcome.*Four candidates competed, all surnamed Tan. One, Tony Tan Keng Yam, was seen as the representative of the government and the People’s Action Party (PAP), which has ruled Singapore ever since it withdrew from the Malaysian Federation in 1965. As expected, he won. But he barely scraped home,*with a shade over 35% of vaild votes cast, and just 7,000 more than his nearest challenger, Tan Cheng Bock, a former PAP MP, who campaigned against his former party colleague. Tan Jee Say, a former senior civil servant and banker who was an opposition candidate in the general election in May, won 25%, and the fourth candidate, Tan Kin Lian, just 5%. Voting is compulsory but nearly 2% of voters*spoiled their ballots—more than 37,000, it was judged.

The PAP never endorsed*Tony Tan*formally. But he has held a number of cabinet jobs, and the prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong, enthusiastically*endorsed*his candidacy. He also enjoyed the backing of party activists, trade unions, chambers of commerce and community groups.*So, that he won not much more than a third of the vote is a remarkable slap in the face for the government. All *the same*PAP diehards protested that, since two former PAP MPs had garnered 70% of the vote, this was an endorsement for the party.

This follows*the general election in May*when the PAP did worse than in any election since 1965. It still won 60% of the vote, which left it, in Singapore’s first-past-the-post system, with 81 out of 87 elected seats in parliament. But the party acknowledged it as a setback, and Mr Lee promised to do some “soul-searching”. Voters seem to feel, however, that the government has still not got the message. The presidential election turned into a relatively low-risk chance to teach it a lesson.

A constitutional change in 1991 accorded the president some limited powers—including a veto over the government’s use of past financial reserves, and over senior appointments. The idea was to install a check over a putative future government that was spendthrift and populist, and stacked the civil service with its cronies. The eligibility criteria for presidential candidates are strict, ensuring that only pillars of the establishment need apply.

Until this year, only the first direct presidential election in 1993 had more than one candidate—in that case a virtual unknown who barely campaigned, but who still, in a foretaste of this year’s shock, won more than 40% of the votes.

In general elections opposition parties, which are small and fragmented, are at a disadvantage. Most parliamentary seats are in big “group” constituencies, where they struggle to field slates of credible candidates, and whose boundaries, they claim, are manipulated in the PAP’s favour. The presidential poll is the only one that is island-wide and not affected by these considerations. It gave voters the opportunity to install a different sort of check into the political system. The result is sobering for the PAP. As the country's biggest newspaper, the pro-government Straits Times, put it in reporting the result: "the voting*patterns show a society more politically divided than ever before.”*

They reflect a widespread sense that the government, blinded by Singapore’s astonishing economic progress, has lost touch with the grievances of ordinary citizens. This sense is in part about particular issues, such as the cost of housing or immigration, which some blame for depressing local wages. *But it is as much a question of style—a resentment at*what is seen as the government’s paternalistic belief that it knows best.

They also reflect the breakdown, thanks to the internet, and especially social-networking sites, of the government’s virtual monopoly over the media. In both general and presidential elections, the government’s opponents were able to change the terms of the debate by taking it online. For example,*when one of the newly elected opposition MPs complained on his Facebook page that he was not allowed to attend constituency functions on a public-housing estate, the issue soon became a national one about the*perception of a pro-PAP bias in public bodies.

The realisation that more than 60% of Singaporeans voted against the government’s favoured candidate will presumably provoke more soul-searching within the PAP. Some will take it as proof that the party must move further and faster in opening up to adjust to the “new normal” of a political system with a sizeable opposition. Others, however, may take the opposite view: that too much liberalisation has led to a fading of the fear of the unpleasant repercussions that used to deter critical commentary and opposition activism. In short, that Singaporeans are forgetting who knows best what's good for them.

By LIM MUN FAH
    Translated by Soong Phui Jee
    Sin Chew Daily

Voices questioning the competence of the newly-elected Singapore president could be heard within the society right after the results of the country's presidential election was announced.

After a fierce contest, former Singapore Deputy Prime Minister Tony Tan won a narrow victory by receiving 744,397 votes, or 35.19% of about 2.1 million votes.

Former member of parliament Tan Cheng Bock received 737,128 votes, or 34.85% and Tony defeated Cheng Bock by a narrow margin of 7,269, or 0.34%!

Tan Jee Say, seen as the biggest rival of Tony Tan before the election, earned 529,732 votes, or 25.04% while Tan Kin Lian got 103,931 votes, or 4.91%.

Some posted online after the result announcement that if Jee Say and Kin Lian did not contest this time, Tony would be the second George Yeo. Also, some "congratulated" Tony for being elected the President of Singapore by 737,128 voters out of the total population of about 5 million people, implying that Tony won because of votes from "immigrants".

Even though Tony was openly supported by dozens of unions and associations, as well as being secretly "blessed" by the People's Action Party (PAP), he was able to only won a narrow margin by less than 1%. It was indeed an embarrassing victory. It has not only set a blow to the personal prestige of "the people's President", but as well brought another shock after the general election in May.

The general election in May has been described as an important watershed for Singapore's political history as the PAP won only 60% of votes while losing a Group Representation Constituency (GRC) for the first time. Nevertheless, public opinion still believes that the PAP holds at least 40% of iron votes.

However, the presidential election results showed that the iron votes of the PAP might be only 35%. It is undoubtedly another political defeat for the PAP, but a great encouragement for the opposition.

In addition, there were as many as 37, 826 invalid votes, which were five times more than the 7,269 majority votes of Tony! This has further made the election of Tony less convincing. Why did so many Singaporeans give up the chance to create a history in Singapore this time? This is in fact another issue to be studied.

Although the Singapore government has deliberately kept a distance from the presidential election, the fierce election has apparently led to many surprising political changes. Among the most significant changes is that voters have become more strong-minded. They now dare to challenge the strongman's political authority, as well as oppose to the conservative political system.

These changes have led to the emergence of a new political landscape in Singapore, as well as a more competitive new era with more possibilities!

Sometimes things are so ironic, get a person who lost billions of dollars for singapore to be protector of our reserves. It is like a father asking the man who rape his daughter to marry his daughter and have a happy wedding
    I just saw a movie yesterday. The daughter supposed to marry the 2nd son of another family but during the wedding day, her mother swappd the bridgegroom to 1st son as he will be the heir of his family ppty. How tragedy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    I just saw a movie yesterday. The daughter supposed to marry the 2nd son of another family but during the wedding day, her mother swappd the bridgegroom to 1st son as he will be the heir of his family ppty. How tragedy it is.
    If I were the daughter, I won't mind marrying the heir!
    Sometimes it is better to think with the head than the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    If I were the daughter, I won't mind marrying the heir!
    Sometimes it is better to think with the head than the heart.
    Forgotten to add in, the elder son is a fat and lazy guy, haha!!

Sometimes things are so ironic, get a person who lost billions of dollars for singapore to be protector of our reserves. It is like a father asking the man who rape his daughter to marry his daughter and have a happy wedding
    It's more like getting a security guard of a small condo who opened the gate for thieves to be the security guard of a big condo now!

Forgotten to add in, the elder son is a fat and lazy guy, haha!!
    So if you think with your head, that fat son probably has heat disease so may die earlier so that wife can be a rich person sooner rather than later!!! Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    So if you think with your head, that fat son probably has heat disease so may die earlier so that wife can be a rich person sooner rather than later!!! Oops!
    He is not only fat and lazy but also stupid. He doted his wife so much and listened to her everything. Don't need to wait until he dies, his wife already got hold of everything. Out of revenge, his wife asked him to chase his sick father out of the house, thus accidentally causing his father death. His wife did that because she knew that the 2nd son (supposed to be her husband - one sided love on her side only) is very filial.

He is not only fat and lazy but also stupid. He doted his wife so much and listened to her everything. Don't need to wait until he dies, his wife already got hold of everything. Out of revenge, his wife asked him to chase his sick father out of the house, thus accidentally causing his father death. His wife did that because she knew that the 2nd son (supposed to be her husband - one sided love on her side only) is very filial.
    So the story isn't that bad cos the wife gets to take control.

What if the husband did not listen to the wife but listened to his old man instead and treats the wife like a maid, worse still if she is working, keep her salary and give her pocket money only?

Thumbs down

Err... Sound like tear teasing Korean soap opera...
    Did I missed anything or happened to be in the wrong forum topic?

From PE to Korean soap opera... Solid...
    Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

Default President Nathan discharged duties with dignity and distinction, says PM Lee

Guess PM remarks mean job well done...., got chance for State Funeral next time?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...150292/1/.html

President Nathan discharged duties with dignity and distinction, says PM Lee
    By S Ramesh / Vimita Mohandas | Posted: 31 August 2011 1936 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said President SR Nathan has discharged his responsibilities with dignity and distinction, and has upheld the standing and prestige of the office and of Singapore in the world.

Mr Lee said Singaporeans will long remember Mr Nathan's many contributions.

Speaking at a farewell reception for President Nathan at the Istana, Mr Lee described him as one who worked closely with the government to refine the rules regarding the President's custodial powers.

Mr Lee stressed Mr Nathan's leadership was particularly important during the 2008 global financial crisis where the government formally sought the President's approval to use part of the reserves to back a guarantee on bank deposits and later to actually draw on reserves to fund the resilience package.

As the crisis deepened, Mr Lee recalled how Mr Nathan would track the situation with his Council of Presidential Advisers.

Mr Lee said: "This episode is significant not just because it was the first time the government requested to draw on past reserves, and the President approved a draw.

"More importantly, the deliberate and responsible approach taken by both parties validated the working arrangements and set an important precedent on how the President and government will deal with future crises."

Mr Lee also said Mr Nathan quietly rendered help when he detected a need. For instance, Mr Nathan personally sponsored needy students through universities or polytechnics and helped obtain special medical care for accident victims who were unable to afford full treatment.

Responding to the Prime Minister's speech, President SR Nathan said: "When I was sworn in as President in 1999, I said that I will be a President for all Singaporeans, with every community of Singaporeans as my parish.

"I have tried to live up to that, engaging the different races and religious groups in every way possible.

"I am deeply touched by such affection shown to me by Singaporeans, and I will always cherish that memory."

Mr Nathan added that looking back over his years in the Presidency, what stood out for him is how Singaporeans and the government showed their ability to develop a society that lives in harmony.

Other guests at the farewell reception also shared their thoughts on President Nathan.

Indranee Rajah, an MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC, said: "When I was a new Member of Parliament, and of course I had never met him, there was a reception here at the Istana and he took the trouble to come up to say hello, to introduce himself.

"And he did it in such an unassuming way that made me feel instantly at ease. And that's a hallmark that I see time and time again."

Vikram Nair, MP for Sembawang GRC, said: "I guess one of those memorable (contributions) was probably when he offered himself up during some very intense hostage negotiations in the 80s. From what I know from people who've worked with him, that's been a hallmark of a lot of his work - he's been entirely selfless."

Jennie Chua, chairman of the Community Chest, said that Mr Nathan understood the needs of Voluntary Welfare Organisations (VWOs).

She said: "There will be occasions where he will call me to his office and explain to me some things he's found out - for example, some fund-raising gaps that we have not met and then he will give us counsel, as to what to do to help the VWOs."

-CNA/ac

State funeral for truly exceptional contributors
    Posted by theonlinecitizen on May 15, 2010

I refer to the report “State funeral for former DPM Goh Keng Swee” (Channel News Asia, May 14).
    When former President Wee Kim Wee passed away in May 2005, I penned a letter (published in the Today newspaper on 10th May 2005), to ask why former President Ong Teng Cheong was not given a state funeral – a honour accorded to President Wee and all previous Presidents.
    I wrote:
    I refer to media reports that the honour of state funerals was accorded in the past to former presidents Yusof Ishak and Benjamin Sheares.
    I would like to ask whether a state funeral was accorded to the late former President Ong Teng Cheong when he died in 2002.
    If not, why is it that he is the only president who was not given a state funeral?
    As Singapore’s first elected president, I think many Singaporeans may feel that he deserved a state funeral.
    The late President Ong Teng Cheong dedicated 27 years of his working life to public service, as President for six years, Deputy Prime Minister for three years, Second Deputy Prime Minister for five years, Secretary-General of NTUC for 11 years, chairman of the People’s Action Party for 12 years, Minister for Communications, and Member of Parliament for 21 years.
    Who decides whether a former president is to be given a state funeral? Is there some criteria for deciding on a state funeral?
    I suggest that a state funeral be accorded to all former presidents who die in the future.
    Letter from Leong Sze Hian
    The Prime Minister’s press secretary replied on 13th May:
    Honour rites still evolving; No formula for state funeral entitlement
    Mr Leong Sze Hian (Today, May 10) and Mr Goh Choon Kang (Lianhe Zaobao, May 12) have asked why the funeral arrangements for Mr Ong Teng Cheong and Dr Wee Kim Wee, both former presidents, were not the same.
    Mr Ong Teng Cheong received a state-assisted funeral, while Dr Wee Kim Wee received a state funeral. Mr Goh Choon Kang suggested that we should have definite rules on who is entitled to a state funeral.
    When Singaporeans who have made major contributions to the country pass away, it is right and fitting that they be honoured and mourned by the nation. They may or may not be former Presidents. The appropriate way to do so will vary with each individual.
    It is not feasible to have a set formula as to who should receive a state funeral, based simply on the person’s rank or the appointment that he or she had held. It depends on the person’s services to the nation, as well as other special circumstances.
    Persons who have made truly exceptional contributions will receive a state funeral. The decision to hold one is made by the Prime Minister and the Cabinet.
    If they decide to offer a state funeral, they will of course consult the family members and take into account their wishes.
    Singapore is still a young country. Our practices and customs for public ceremonies and observances are still evolving.
    As the years pass, we will gradually establish norms and traditions that will reflect the Singapore way of honouring our best sons and daughters who have passed away, that is dignified, restrained and expresses the gratitude and sense of loss of the nation.

Chen Hwai Liang
    Press Secretary to Prime Minister

Tiam tiam be a yes man and don't engage govt in controversial issues means distinction. the prata man don't even fit into my definition of president, no charisma whatsoever and don't know what he did in two terms
    Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Guess PM remarks mean job well done...., got chance for State Funeral next time?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...150292/1/.html

President Nathan discharged duties with dignity and distinction, says PM Lee
    By S Ramesh / Vimita Mohandas | Posted: 31 August 2011 1936 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said President SR Nathan has discharged his responsibilities with dignity and distinction, and has upheld the standing and prestige of the office and of Singapore in the world.

Mr Lee said Singaporeans will long remember Mr Nathan's many contributions.

Speaking at a farewell reception for President Nathan at the Istana, Mr Lee described him as one who worked closely with the government to refine the rules regarding the President's custodial powers.

Mr Lee stressed Mr Nathan's leadership was particularly important during the 2008 global financial crisis where the government formally sought the President's approval to use part of the reserves to back a guarantee on bank deposits and later to actually draw on reserves to fund the resilience package.

As the crisis deepened, Mr Lee recalled how Mr Nathan would track the situation with his Council of Presidential Advisers.

Mr Lee said: "This episode is significant not just because it was the first time the government requested to draw on past reserves, and the President approved a draw.

"More importantly, the deliberate and responsible approach taken by both parties validated the working arrangements and set an important precedent on how the President and government will deal with future crises."

Mr Lee also said Mr Nathan quietly rendered help when he detected a need. For instance, Mr Nathan personally sponsored needy students through universities or polytechnics and helped obtain special medical care for accident victims who were unable to afford full treatment.

Responding to the Prime Minister's speech, President SR Nathan said: "When I was sworn in as President in 1999, I said that I will be a President for all Singaporeans, with every community of Singaporeans as my parish.

"I have tried to live up to that, engaging the different races and religious groups in every way possible.

"I am deeply touched by such affection shown to me by Singaporeans, and I will always cherish that memory."

Mr Nathan added that looking back over his years in the Presidency, what stood out for him is how Singaporeans and the government showed their ability to develop a society that lives in harmony.

Other guests at the farewell reception also shared their thoughts on President Nathan.

Indranee Rajah, an MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC, said: "When I was a new Member of Parliament, and of course I had never met him, there was a reception here at the Istana and he took the trouble to come up to say hello, to introduce himself.

"And he did it in such an unassuming way that made me feel instantly at ease. And that's a hallmark that I see time and time again."

Vikram Nair, MP for Sembawang GRC, said: "I guess one of those memorable (contributions) was probably when he offered himself up during some very intense hostage negotiations in the 80s. From what I know from people who've worked with him, that's been a hallmark of a lot of his work - he's been entirely selfless."

Jennie Chua, chairman of the Community Chest, said that Mr Nathan understood the needs of Voluntary Welfare Organisations (VWOs).

She said: "There will be occasions where he will call me to his office and explain to me some things he's found out - for example, some fund-raising gaps that we have not met and then he will give us counsel, as to what to do to help the VWOs."

-CNA/ac

Tiam tiam be a yes man and don't engage govt in controversial issues means distinction. the prata man don't even fit into my definition of president, no charisma whatsoever and don't know what he did in two terms

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+...24-295894.html

"In 2008, President Nathan approved a $150-billion guarantee for all bank deposits in Singapore using the reserves.

The following year, he approved the expenditure of $4.9 billion from the reserves for the Jobs Credit Scheme."

but new President TT, GIC decision to invest UBS and Citibank in the past , now still bleeding...and maybe more than US$4.9b, paper loss now....but don't know when it will be realised...

Approve who doesn't know. Maybe you should say he got no choice but to approve
    Quote Originally Posted by land118
    http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+...24-295894.html

"In 2008, President Nathan approved a $150-billion guarantee for all bank deposits in Singapore using the reserves.

The following year, he approved the expenditure of $4.9 billion from the reserves for the Jobs Credit Scheme."

but new President TT, GIC decision to invest UBS and Citibank in the past , now still bleeding...and maybe more than US$4.9b, paper loss now....but don't know when it will be realised...

Approve who doesn't know. Maybe you should say he got no choice but to approve
    Wonder if TT will come up with a RESILIENCE PACKAGE soon. Not sure if the reporting is correct.

TT mentioned decision is by PM, but as we know President is the one approving if any need to dig into Reserves..:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...148642/1/.html

PE: Tony Tan to speak on economic situation at lunchtime rally
    By Vimita Mohandas | Posted: 23 August 2011 1455 hrs

SINGAPORE: Presidential candidate Dr Tony Tan said he will touch on the economic situation at his lunchtime rally at Boat Quay, next to UOB Plaza Wednesday.

He revealed this to reporters after a market visit at New Upper Changi Road Tuesday morning.

Dr Tony Tan also defended his earlier comments on the possible need of preparing a second resilience package in view of the current global economic outlook.

Another presidential candidate Dr Tan Cheng Bock had described such comments as day-to-day politics and out of the president's scope.

In response, Dr Tony Tan said if elected, it would be his duty to share his insights and offer suggestions to the government on how Singapore can buffer itself from any crisis.

However, he stressed that ultimately, the decision will be made by the prime minister.

- CNA/cc

It's times like these that you can learn to sell 'koyok' well from our newspapers and the likes of the PR teams from GIC/Temasek.

Today "Tony Tan increases his lead to 35.x % from overseas votes."
    For goodness sakes, its just 100 odd votes!
    Technically accurate but still more than 60% didn't vote for him regardless of his role as DPM/head of GIC and all the Clans/Labour Unions support.
    By all counts, I'm sure he's surprised by his slim margin of victory.

PAP comes out to say in essence, "70% have voted for PAP candidates".
    Again technically correct, but when Cheng Bock says the PAP party is split down the middle, they say 'no'.

GIC - when make wrong investment, say it's for the "long term".
    Strange, coz losses are losses on a mark-to-market basis.
    Even if you hold till you make some profits, there is the opportunity cost of investing in something else with better timing.

This attitude of not 'owning up' to mistakes makes us very young as a Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    It's times like these that you can learn to sell 'koyok' well from our newspapers and the likes of the PR teams from GIC/Temasek.

Today "Tony Tan increases his lead to 35.x % from overseas votes."
    For goodness sakes, its just 100 odd votes!
    Technically accurate but still more than 60% didn't vote for him regardless of his role as DPM/head of GIC and all the Clans/Labour Unions support.
    By all counts, I'm sure he's surprised by his slim margin of victory.

Again technically correct, but when Cheng Bock says the PAP party is split down the middle, they say 'no'.

GIC - when make wrong investment, say it's for the "long term".
    Strange, coz losses are losses on a mark-to-market basis.
    Even if you hold till you make some profits, there is the opportunity cost of investing in something else with better timing.

This attitude of not 'owning up' to mistakes makes us very young as a Nation.
    is TCB a PAP man before? yet he keep saying he is the most balance candidate? read his interview on sunday time, find him not gentlemen enuf to admit he has lost. even if he lose 1 vote, he is still a loser. after losing the fight, still make so many comments . if cannot afford to lose, should not contest.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    TCB was a People's Action Party (PAP) Member of Parliament in Singapore politics for 26 years (1980-2006) . Yet PAP Dr Yaacob give damn solid answer:

"When asked whether the narrow win by Dr Tan in the presidential election revealed a political divide within the country, Dr Yaacob disagreed.

He said votes for Dr Tony Tan and Dr Tan Cheng Bock, both former PAP MPs, together made up 70 per cent of total votes"

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...150028/1/.html

http://www.asiaone.com/A1Home/A1Home.html?a=1

Come together for a united S'pore: Tan Cheng Bock

AsiaOne
    Thursday, Sep 01, 2011

Presidential candidate Dr Tan Cheng Bock made a call to Singaporeans to come together to build a united Singapore.
    Dr Tan Cheng Bock said this in his letter to Dr Tony Tan congratulating him on being elected as President of Singapore.
    In the written statement dated August 31, Dr Tan Cheng Bock also gave his best regards to both Dr Tony Tan and his wife Mary Tan.
    In a closely contested Presidential Election, Dr Tony Tan won 35.2 per cent of valid votes cast while Dr Tan Cheng Bock got 34.85 per cent. This includes yesterday's count of overseas votes.

Speaking to mypaper journalists on Sunday, Dr Tan Cheng Bock urged Dr Tony Tan to concentrate on ordinary Singaporeans and not just on external relations of the country.
    He recognised that Dr Tony Tan's strength is in the economy but warned that it will be a problem if he cannot connect well with the people.
    Dr Tan Cheng Bock said he will return to politics but not necessarily in the next Presidential Elections six years from now.
    Believing that this election was an avenue for him to reach out to the masses, he says he will always keep an eye on Singapore.
    He also said he might return to his medical practice.

Here is the transcript of Dr Tan Cheng Bock's letter to Dr Tony Tan:

Dear Tony,

I would like to congratulate you on being elected as President of Singapore.
    Tomorrow is your installation, I send my best regards to you and Mary.
    All Singaporeans should now come together to build a united Singapore.
    All the best,

Cheng Bock & Cecilia

Omg, how can tcb even say that tt's strength is in the economy?

ya, saw tis one....really look into Asian Colonel in the wild east...

Bro, that a fxxking good one!
    Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

Saw Dr Tan Cheng Bock and his busload of supporters passing by just now.
    He is such a gracious gentleman to thank his supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Saw Dr Tan Cheng Bock and his busload of supporters passing by just now.
    He is such a gracious gentleman to thank his supporters.
    Hope He and his gang will be at Jalan Besar this tues to support our Lions vs Iraq in the World Cup qualifying soccer match...., yip yip hooray to the man!

Someone said pap won over 70%.

Default Dr Tan Cheng Bock goes on thank-you parade around

He is already a winner in many eyes..., a gracious loser by all counts!

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...150875/1/.html

Dr Tan Cheng Bock goes on thank-you parade around S'pore
    Posted: 03 September 2011 1637 hrs
    Related News

• PE: I'll be watchful of what is happening in S'pore, says Tan Cheng Bock

SINGAPORE: Dr Tan Cheng Bock, who contested and lost by a razor thin margin to President Tony Tan Keng Yam at the recent Presidential Election, indicates he would like to take some time to rest before thinking of what he wants to do next.

Dr Tan was back on the streets again in an open-top bus on Saturday to thank Singaporeans for their support.

The 71-year-old doctor started the morning by visiting residents in the western part of Singapore before travelling to other parts of the island.

Speaking to reporters later, Dr Tan said he was cheered by the warm reception he received.

He said he has been resting for the past week after the keenly fought election.

Dr Tan said: "For the moment, I want to sit back and think of what I want to do. There's a lot of things I want to do but I want to get it very structured before I get going. Maybe I will go for a walk with those who want to walk with me (and) ask them to come join me for a long health walk."

- CNA/fa