Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: PE: Four-cornered fight for Presidential race

Watched theonlinecitizen.
    Decided on who I would chose.

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    TT has revealed his true colors with PAP mark stamped all over! Very familiar answers ....., why so protective of Government? how to be truely independent like that...
    no one is independent lah, TJS listens to opposition, so can u say he is independent? .... ha ha ha

the only truely independent person is called a computer

Default Chen Show Mao banned from attending 7th month dinners with residents by Paya Lebar CC

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...aya-lebar-ccc/

Chen Show Mao banned from attending 7th month dinners with residents by Paya Lebar CCC

Chen Show Mao banned from attending 7th month dinners with residents by Paya Lebar CCC
    Workers’ Party MP Chen Show Mao has been banned from attending Seventh Month dinners in his Paya Lebar division of Aljunied GRC by the Paya Lebar CCC (Citizens’ Consultative Committee is under the People’s Association)!

The Seventh Month dinners are organized yearly in Singapore during the Seventh month of the Chinese Lunar calender to celebrate the ‘Hungry Ghost Festival’. They are usually held in open fields and courts which are under the purview of the People’s Association.

In a note posted on his Facebook yesterday, Mr Chen wrote that the organizers were not allowed to use venues in their neighborhood if they invite their MP to the event.

“The last such dinner I was scheduled to attend took place last week, a few weeks after the organizers called to let me know that they could no longer have me show up at the event as they had originally hoped. The organizers as in previous years had planned to hold the festivities on a hard court in the HDB estate, but this year were told by the Paya Lebar CCC that, as a condition for receiving CCC approval to use the venue, they may no longer invite their MP to the event. Future approvals will be withheld from errant organizers.”

However according to one Aljunied resident, ex-Aljunied MP Cynthia Phua had attended such dinners during her term as PAP MP in the last ten years and there was never any issue with the CCC.

One Aljunied resident Wilson Pang whose father is a member of the Seventh Month Organising Committee for the Blk 18 Hougang Ave 3 first highlighted the matter to Mr Chen on his Facebook two weeks ago:

“While applying for the permit this year, they were informed by the PA that they will only be allowed to use the open space if opposition MPs did not participate in any of the activities. Mdm Cynthia Phua, as MP for the ward, has always participated in the celebrations and been present at the dinners in previous years.” (read more here)

To substantiate his claims, Mr Chen uploaded photos of an invitation and retraction from another distraught organizer who applied to use a different venue in the same ward:

“It pains me that they felt so embarrassed to pass me the news. Regrettably, this is not the first time it has happened since I was elected,” he added.

In contrast, PAP MP Tin Pei Ling attended a 7th month dinner in Aljunied Crescent (under Marine Parade GRC) last night and even made a speech on stage.

Ms Tin also attended a 7th month dinner in MacPherson on 11 August 2011:

Why are PAP MPs allowed to attend 7th month dinners to mingle around with their residents but not non-PAP MPs? How are they supposed to perform their duties as MPs if they are not given the opportunity to know their residents better?

The People’s Association is supposedly a statutory board funded by taxpayers’ monies, but has been ‘converted’ to become the PAP’s de facto ‘grassroots’ branch over the years.

CCCs, CCs and RCs are usually led by PAP branch secretaries and members. In the case of Aljunied GRC, losing PAP MP Ong Ye Kung was appointed as an ‘adviser’ of its grassroots organizations though Aljunied voters had clearly rejected him in the May election.

Speaking to a delegation of visiting Chinese officials two years ago, PAP supreme leader Lee Kuan Yew boasted that “all CCCs, CCs and RCs are part of the PAP.”

While Aljunied residents are not allowed to invite their elected MPs to grace their 7th month dinners, RC boards are allowed to hang banners of PAP-endorsed presidential candidate Tony Tan:

According to a tip-off we received, grassroots resources were also mobilized to support Tony Tan in his ongoing election campaign.

(An article will be published tomorrow on this. Still waiting for verification of some information from our informants)

With the CCCs, CCs and RCs under the iron-fisted control of the totalitarian PAP regime, it will be an impossible task for Singaporeans to vote the PAP out of office via the ballot box in the future especially with the increasing number of new citizens the PAP is currently recruiting into these “public” organizations funded by taxpayers’ monies.

Default Tan Jee Say promises to take $500,000 salary a year if elected[/B]

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...ar-if-elected/

Tan Jee Say promises to take $500,000 salary a year if elected
    August 20th, 2011 | Author: Online Press
    Pro-Singaporean presidential candidate Tan Jee Say has promised to accept a salary of ‘only’ $500,000 a year if elected.

The amount is a far cry below the $4.2 million dollar annual salary of the Elected President, which is nearly 10 times that of U.S. President Barack Obama.

Mr Tan Jee Say’s supporters were spotted distributing flyers advertising this campaign promise at a walkabout at the Hari Raya bazaar at Geylang Serai on Saturday evening.

The flyer states, among other things, the lines: “Presidential salary: $500,000 a year is plenty for anyone to live on. Anything else should go back to the people of Singapore.”

When asked on how he arrived at the figure, Mr Tan replied:

“People ask me what is a good figure to live on so I think this is a good, it’s a lot of money to live on…I think it’s generally far above what an average family needs.”

$500,000 a year amounts to about $41,000 monthly which is many times higher than the median monthly salary of an average Singapore worker – a mere $2,500.

In contrast, PAP ministers are paid obscene salaries of millions of dollars annually excluding their many months of bonuses which are pegged to GDP growth.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is paid more than $3 million dollars a year, far more than the combined salaries of the leaders of the G7 group of countries.

While we applaud Mr Tan Jee Say’s pledge to accept a $500,000 salary, we implore him to consider dedicating part of his annual salary if elected to support worthy causes such as setting up an Independent Commission for Police Misconduct, a Media Commission and a Human Rights Commission under the Office of the President.

Default PE: Tan Jee Say to lobby for volunteerism & ageing population if elected

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...148080/1/.html

PE: Tan Jee Say to lobby for volunteerism & ageing population if elected
    By Qiuyi Tan | Posted: 20 August 2011 1232 hrs

SINGAPORE: Volunteerism and the ageing population are issues that presidential candidate Tan Jee Say will lobby for, if he is elected.

He said this on the sidelines of a visit to a soup kitchen that provides meals for the needy on Saturday.

The visit to Willing Hearts High Point in Geylang was coordinated by opposition member Nicole Seah, who has endorsed Mr Tan, saying he is the right man with the "heart" for the job.

Ms Seah said: "He's the person who really makes the cut because he is independent of the incumbent government. He has a heart, he's a brilliant thinker and he has really very wide views, encompassing issues such as the economy and education.

"He's the right person, he can engage with people whether it's just the man in the street or one of the elite."

Mr Tan told reporters he was heartened to see so many young professionals taking time out to volunteer, and said it is something he wants to promote if elected as President.

He also visited the neighbouring Green Avenue Home for the Elderly and listened to the concerns raised by the home, such as the income ceiling for those who are eligible for subsidies.

He agreed that the income ceiling for long-term care subsidies may be too low.

Under the current system of means testing, Singaporeans and PRs with monthly per capita income of more than S$1,400 are not eligible for subsidies. Subsidies for those earning below this figure can range from 10 to 75 per cent.

Mr Tan said: "They need help to cope with rising prices because they have contributed to our country in the past, if you look at it from the economic point of view. [From a compassionate viewpoint], they are our own people and they need help."

He told reporters he was part of a government committee on Problems of the Aged, chaired by former Health Minister Howe Yoon Chong in the 1980s.

He told reporters he identifies with the pains and problems of the aged because of his personal experience taking care of his mother, who died in February this year at the age of 100.

He added that he has been invited to visit several other charities and volunteer groups in the coming days.

- CNA/cc/ac

It will be good if future Singapore Presidential election adopt or do a similar to the United States presidential election debates where main candidates get to engage in a debate over an hour..., voters can see and seize up their true colours sometimes during a heated exchange....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ection_debates
    The American presidential debates are a very civil affair. Even when the topics are very controversial and participants get very emotional, participants maintain their decorum and the mediator is respected. The behaviour is very...uhmm... "Presidential"?

The way TJS reacted in Face to Face when TT interjected seems to show a lack of composure. This was even when the mediator told him to stop. He appeared too agitated and emotional. Mentioning things like people "attacking" his understanding of English may appear to some as an unsophisticated rebuttal.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...ar-if-elected/

Tan Jee Say promises to take $500,000 salary a year if elected
    ha ha he sure knows how to buy insurance for himself. i tot President pay going to be review and reduce to a token sum only. he showing his true self to demand $500k per year

Default Tony Tan lampooned by netizens for ‘Dead Fish’ handshake with fishmonger

If u are fishmonger or hawker in wet market, do you want such a handshake...???

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...th-fishmonger/

Tony Tan lampooned by netizens for ‘Dead Fish’ handshake with fishmonger

PAP-endorsed presidential hopeful Tony Tan has been lampooned by netizens for his ‘Dead Fish’ handshake with a fishmonger in the market.

Channel 8 showed a clip of Tony Tan hesitantly reaching out to shake the hands of a fishmonger with his thumb facing up which is commonly known as the ‘Dead Fish’ handshake two days ago which was captured by netizens.

The handshake is described as “ideal for when you really dislike the person you’re shaking hands with, you don’t care to know them, or when you’re feeling lazy and inattentive.”

To show that this is not the usual handshake of Tony Tan, TR Facebook uploaded 4 other photos of Tony Tan shaking hands with other people using the ‘Power Shake’ which is described as “ideal for business meetings, interviews, or whenever you want to make a solid first impression with a solid person.”

[Source: TR Facebook]

Noel Ong was disgusted by Tony Tan’s gesture:

“A clear indication of status standings. to people he thinks to be of equal standing, or someone whom he is working closely with, the handshake is equal. to someone he looks down on, or does not approve, he shakes above and thumbs down. the open palm means “i dun wanna shake hands with you, but i’ll just let you hold my hand.”

Kua A K added:

“Besides thumb up, he actually not clinching his fingers as well. His fingers somehow bended/stretched outwards to minimize the physical contact…”

Pamela Kea has made up her mind who to vote for after watching Tony Tan’s handshake:

“If Tony Tan is out getting votes, it is equivalent to going for interview and trying to land this job. I will not give the job to some one with a bad handshake! Tells a lot about a person’s sincerity and character.”

In his recent speech, Tony Tan kept stressing on his knowledge and experience in handling financial matters. There is not a single word muttered about Singaporeans at all as if they matter nothing to him.

Singaporeans should seriously consider whether they want another ‘Nathan’ to be their ‘inactive’ President because of ‘limits of the office’ in the next five years.

Default Dr Tan Cheng Bock self quarantined after treating patient with SARS

http://www.cfps.org.sg/collegemirror...semotional.pdf

http://160.96.186.100/lib/pdf/2003/may/ST0309.pdf

What Former PM Goh Chok Tong said about Dr Tan Cheng Bock
    “Tan Cheng Bock rang me up to say,‘I have just been told that I’ve treated a SARS patient.’ He decided to quarantine himself and he let several of his friends know because ‘there is nothing to be ashamed of’. But I tell you he was very worried. When he called me.. .he said,‘I am revisiting my will. In case I don’t see you,goodbye.’ This is an example of responsible behaviour.**…

Former PM Goh Chok Tong 2 May 2003

Default Neither Rain nor Thunder can stop Dr Tan Cheng Bock

http://www.tanchengbock.org/video-co...tan-cheng-bock

Neither Rain nor Thunder can stop Dr Tan Cheng Bock

Thumbs up DR TCB- many languages

Instead of enjoying his retirement, this humble Doctor is standing up to serve...

Just check his website, he has made much efforts to convey video messages in English, Mandarin, Malay, Tamil, Teochew, Hokkien, Cantonese...to voters.

Kudos to him, a dark horse in this PE campaign but he could be pulling some or many of PAP supporters...

"Think Singaporeans First" - his slogan for this PE

http://www.tanchengbock.org/
    Last edited by land118; 20-08-11 at 22:18.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...be-xenophobic/

NMP Viswa rebukes Shanmugam for warning Singaporeans not to be ‘xenophobic

Nominated Member of Parliament Viswa Sadasivan has rebuked Shanmugam for warning Singaporeans not to be ‘xenophobic’ over the ‘currygate’ saga which has caught the attention of the international media as well.

The public outcry arises over the shocking decision made by the Community Mediation Center (CMC) under the Law Ministry to disallow a Singaporean Indian family to cook curry within the confines of their HDB flat when
    their PRC neighbors are at home following a complaint filed by the latter.

Though CMC has clarified that the idea was proposed by one of the parties, Singaporeans are still asking why CMC bothered to entertain such a frivolous complaint in the first place.

Instead of addressing the concerns of Singaporeans, pro-foreigner Shanmugam lashed out at them for being ‘anti-foreigner’ and ‘xenophobic’ in a verbal tirade during a press conference on Tuesday.

Shanmugam did not explain why CMC bothered to entertain the PRC family’s frivolous complaint in the first place and went into a tirade against “some people” who are ‘reacting to a set of facts which are wholly inaccurate’
    and therefore are allowing emotions to run high.

“Let’s not turn this into a xenophobic attack on foreigners in general….This sort of differences exist between Singaporeans, among foreigners and between foreigners and Singaporeans and not just
    in Singapore, but elsewhere as well,” he said.

In his letter to the Straits Times Forum today, NMP Viswa wrote that “we should be even more concerned about the negative signal this incident could send out.”

“It threatens to strike at the values upon which our society is built – tolerance and acceptance. All of us who grew up in Singapore would have had occasion to be confronted with a cultural or religious
    practice that was not palatable. Our evolved instinct would have been to respect the right of the other party as a cohabitant of our space, and so tolerate, if not accept it,” he added.

Such a complaint is hardly heard from native Singaporeans who are used to living peacefully with one another for the last fifty years or so till the recent influx of immigrants from China and India. In other countries, foreigners
    are expected to conform to the social norms of their adopted country. It seems to be the other way round in Singapore.

Viswa defended Singaporeans against the unwarranted criticisms by Shanmugam by explaining to him the definition of ‘xenophobia’:

“So, yes, in the past few days, there have been emotional reactions against foreigners who are reluctant to accept and adopt our way of life, but I see it more as a unified stand against legitimisation of
    intolerance. It is not directed at foreigners per se, but at anyone – even a Singaporean – who is misguided. So, let’s not miss the wood for the trees. This is not xenophobia, and it certainly is not about a
    nation’s love of curry.”

Singaporeans need not be too surprised by the remarks made by Shanmugam. After all, in his eyes, Singapore is only a ‘city’ and not a ‘country’.

Source - Temasek Review.

Default PE: Candidates should not promise what they cannot deliver: Tan Cheng Bock

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...148143/1/.html

PE: Candidates should not promise what they cannot deliver: Tan Cheng Bock

By Wayne Chan | Posted: 20 August 2011 2153 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore presidential candidate Dr Tan Cheng Bock said it is not within the duties of the president to come up with proposals like pension schemes which have been suggested by other candidates.

He said candidates should not promise things that cannot be delivered under the constitutional powers of the president or get involved in day-to-day politics.

"I guess there'll be some Singaporeans who will still be thinking this is a General Election, and they'll be taken up by all these types of issues. I really feel sorry for the person when he gets elected. I don't know how he is going to carry all this out," said Dr Tan.

He also defended his proposal to separate the Prime Minister's and Elected President's offices.

Dr Tan said while the office of the president has evolved from a ceremonial to a custodial role, it is critical for public confidence that the two are independent, as it is about institutionalising Singapore's political structure.

Winning more fans among the young in the heart of Orchard Road on Saturday is one of Dr Tan's campaign strategies to maximise his reach.

"Through the young they can ask their parents to vote for me. And through the young they have access to all my blogs, my Facebook and currently my apps. In fact some of them were fairly excited when they saw my calling card with even an app there," said Dr Tan.

- CNA /ls

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...-during-forum/

Netizens upset at Tony Tan's 'ungentlemanly conduct' during forum

August 20th, 2011 | Author: Temasek Review

PAP-endorsed presidential candidate Tony Tan has been reminding Singaporeans to vote for a president who can present himself well and represent Singapore on the international world stage, but judging from his ungentlemanly behavior at a forum hosted yesterday by NMP Viswa Sadavisan, he lacked both basic manners and decorum in the way he conducted himself.

The presidential candidates were asked by a participant on their views of the draconian Internal Security Act (ISA) to which Mr Tan Jee Say replied:

“I don’t even know whether it was justified in the first place, because the ISA has been used on political opponents and those on the other political side of the law…”

Before Jee Say could complete his sentence, Tony Tan interjected rudely to intimidate him:

“When one says this is used against political opponents, I think this is a very serious charge. You must be able to back it up.”

If Tony Tan is unable to accept views contrarian to the PAP regime, how is he going to face the possible dissent shown to him in the future?

When Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak visited London recently, he was greeted at his hotel by a group of protesters shouting at him to ‘get lost!’. How will Tony Tan react in such a situation?

Tony Tan’s ‘performance’ was greeted with a chorus of disapproval from netizens.

Adrian Lee wrote on TR Facebook:

“In the first place Tony Tan should not have interrupted Tan Jee Say and let him finished his sentence and then give his views. This is not a debate, please! If it were me, I would blast him back “Please let me finish what I have to say and do not interrupt me when I’m talking. Thank you.”"

Lexus Chua added:

“Dr Tony Tan has to learn to respect others. This is probably due to his seat at the ivory tower for too long and his PAP style of he is always right and cannot take no for an answer. The world is under his feet. As a result, he brought in millions of foreign trash without questions.”

Siti Fauizah wasn’t impressed:

“It’s rude to interrupt. One must always raise his hand and wait to be called upon if one wants to speak … basic rule in the classroom …”

It is disappointing that as a former minister, Tony Tan is unable to show basic respect and courtesy to his opponents.

Based on the answer he gave in which he tried to aligned himself with the PAP regime, Singaporeans should seriously consider voting for Tony Tan to send another PAP ‘puppet’ into the Istana.

SUPPORT PALM TREES!!!

TAKE CURRY FOR LUNCH!

Support the heart coz without it the circulatory system will break down and we will die.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...147568/1/.html

PE: Candidates unveil election symbols
    By Sharon See | Posted: 18 August 2011 0001 hrs

SINGAPORE: The four presidential candidates have unveiled their election symbols, which will be printed on the ballot paper.

This time round, the ballot paper will also include a black-and-white photograph of the candidates, along with the symbols.

Dr Tan Cheng Bock's symbol is a palm tree. "The leaves of the palm represents our multiracial society, the trunk represents them coming together, and the roots represents us taking root in Singapore," he said on his Facebook.

Mr Tan Jee Say's symbol is a heart. It stands for conscience and empathy, he said.

Dr Tony Tan's symbol is a pair of glasses which resembles the trademark spectacles he wears.

"No one ever ruined his or her eyesight by taking a long term view," he said on his Facebook.

Mr Tan Kin Lian's symbol is known as "Hi-5". He said the raised hand signifies willingness to do public service, while the five fingers signify his values of honesty, fairness, positive attitude, courage and public service.

- CNA/ir

Default Growing number of fake Facebook accounts detected on Tony Tan’s Facebook page

Facebook latest update:

Nicole Seah- 105k+ "likes"
    Tin Pei Ling- 9k+

TT- 4k+
    TJS- 8k+
    TCB- 8k+
    TKL - 2k+

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...facebook-page/

Growing number of fake Facebook accounts detected on Tony Tan’s Facebook page

Growing number of fake Facebook accounts detected on Tony Tan’s Facebook page
    The PAP is an expert in the art of ‘astroturfing’ to generate fake public ’support’ for its leaders and it seems that it is replicating its unique ’skill’ on social media as well.

In the last one week, the number of ‘likes’ on Tony Tan’s Facebook has increased by almost 1,000 while it has languished around 2,000 plus previously, bringing it higher than that of another candidate Tan Kin Lian.

However, a quick check on Tony Tan’s supporters on his Facebook page revealed an increasing number of fake accounts which are set up only recently.

Below are 10 Facebook accounts who posted on Tony Tan’s Facebook yesterday either to say ‘hello’ or pledged their support to him in a simple one-liner:

Katherine Lee: 20 friends

Hee Ch: 16 friends

Elsie Lim: 10 friends

John Loo: 9 friends

Stella Fong: 6 friends

Mui Leng: 5 friends

Christie More: 2 friends

John Tan: 1 friend

Jacob Wang: 0 friends

More Good Years: 0 friends

It is obvious that some sort of mass ‘astroturfing’ is underway to orchestrate fake support from netizens for Tony Tan to save him the blushes.

As a former PAP minister, Tony Tan already enjoys the support of the establishment with many unions and social groups coming forward to endorse his presidential bid in the last few days, but it appears that he is eager to ‘conquer’ cyberspace as well.

While it is not known who is/are behind the creation of fake Facebook accounts to ‘like’ Tony Tan’s Facebook page, he/she/they are either very free or are paid to do so.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...148268/1/.html

PE: Candidates clarify their stand on role of President
    By Joanne Chan | Posted: 21 August 2011 1858 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's four presidential candidates have clarified what they believe to be the powers of the President.

They were speaking to reporters as campaigning hit the halfway point on Sunday.

Since the start of the hustings, a number of policy suggestions to improve Singapore society have been floated by the candidates.

For instance, after making stops at old folks' homes on Saturday, Mr Tan Kin Lian suggested a state pension for the elderly while Mr Tan Jee Say called for the income ceiling for nursing home subsidies to be raised.

This led to presidential candidate Dr Tan Cheng Bock commenting that candidates should not promise things that cannot be delivered under the constitutional powers of the President, or get involved in day-to-day politics.

Responding on Sunday, Mr Tan Kin Lian had a more optimistic view of things.

"I would like to ask my good friend Dr Tan Cheng Bock (to) be more positive. Things can be done that will be good for the future of the people and a better life for the people, it can be done. It's not easy, (but) it can be done. So, be more positive," he said.

For Mr Tan Jee Say, he believes that Singapore's Head of State has moral powers that can be extended beyond what is stated in the Constitution.

He said: "The Office of the President is what the President makes it out to be. I see the Office of the President not as a centre of executive power, but as a centre of moral power, to persuade people, to persuade the government. And I think (the President) can also lend the prestige of the Office to some charity drive."

Dr Tony Tan, the fourth presidential candidate, maintained his view that the President's role is prescribed in the Constitution.

He said: "The President must work within the perimeters of the Constitution, as I've said. People must run for the post that exists today, not the post they might like to have. And you have to respect that. Whatever comments you make have to be within that constraint."

Dr Tan Cheng Bock said that policy suggestions beyond the prescribed roles of the President should be made behind closed doors.

"Or else, I think the role of the President is going to clash with the executive, and that's exactly what we don't want," he said, referring to the government which is the executive branch of Singapore.

The four presidential candidates have another four days of campaigning to win the hearts and minds of the Singaporeans before the mandatory Cooling-off Day when no canvassing for votes is allowed.

- CNA/ir

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    if i remember correctly, extremme is a opposition supporter

Haha I'm just back from donating money to uncle lim
    In genting...

Surprisingly if you see online polls or even comments of TOC quite alot opp supporters are rooting for TCB though he was a ex pap man

I'm impressed that he stands against the party whip and voted against the casino and also reminded pap to adopt a singaporeans first policy in 1990s with worries of too many FT. He was also the one to fight for free parking on Sun. Let's not forget OTC was also ex pap.

We are a very small country. We do not need a president to propose suggestions that might squander away our reserves or something which they know they cannot commit to. We need someone with a heart and who has shown to speak out against pap in the interests of the people though he was from pap

What Dr TT replied to sticking with the prescribed role of a president is simply a further evident that he will not stand up for change in the midst of our PAP govt! Even when he has the opportunity to do so, he probably will stick with PAP and I thought he said President is not a political figure?

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    What Dr TT replied to sticking with the prescribed role of a president is simply a further evident that he will not stand up for change in the midst of our PAP govt! Even when he has the opportunity to do so, he probably will stick with PAP and I thought he said President is not a political figure?
    TT will work hand in hand with Gov, "steady hand", will certainly not rock the boat...

Yes - and should the boat should spring a leak, he can always back the Capt in saying there is 'no leak' but just in case, please paddle harder and faster.

TT will work hand in hand with Gov, "steady hand", will certainly not rock the boat...

Interesting article on how one voter is going to vote:

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...s-and-donkeys/

Of Mules, Asses and Donkeys

It has been said that 30% of voters will vote for a PAP Donkey so long it is a PAP Donkey and 25% will vote for an Anti-PAP Ass so long it is Anti-PAP : meaning this leaves 45% of non-partisan voters – I called them Mules, just for the fun of it, no other puns intended.

I consider myself to be within this 45%. Having said this, based on what I have read both in mainstream and alternate media, I am for sure not going to vote for Tony Tan. He is just too close to the PAP and Lee family for my comfort.

But, I think it would be naive to think that PAP votes will be split between TT and TCB : TCB is not PAP endorsed. PAP does not need to endorse 2 donkeys – they will put all bets on 1 and it is TT.

Having said this, where does TCB stand : he will get votes from his personal contacts and people like yours truly – because I believe in what he said and based on his performance in the past, I think he is not beholden to PAP and has his own independant thinking, which is what I am looking for in the EP. I would have given him my Vote and as the survey shows, 33% or so in the poll.

But in this particular Presidential Election, we have a multi-corner contest : and I have to switch my thinking – I am no longer asking the question “Who will make the Best President” of the four Tan’s. I am asking “Who can have the best chance to defeat Tony Tan?” It is not about who is more popular, it is about putting a statement that I don’t endorse PAP anymore. There are too many stories of their high handedness and white horses and curries etc to be ignored.

So, I will put my vote of the person whom I believe has the best chance to defeat TT. With apologies to TCB, I am going to vote for TJS so that Mules combine with Asses could kick the “Donkeys” into oblivion.Sorry TCB : it is not about you, it is about making my voice heard louder.

Just my 2 cents worth – but I am putting my 2 cents where my mouth is.

Also, please think about this mindset.

AMD

sat's papers even reported NSP and SPP providing some logistics support for TCB.

Quote Originally Posted by extremme
    Haha I'm just back from donating money to uncle lim
    In genting...

Surprisingly if you see online polls or even comments of TOC quite alot opp supporters are rooting for TCB though he was a ex pap man

I'm impressed that he stands against the party whip and voted against the casino and also reminded pap to adopt a singaporeans first policy in 1990s with worries of too many FT. He was also the one to fight for free parking on Sun. Let's not forget OTC was also ex pap.

We are a very small country. We do not need a president to propose suggestions that might squander away our reserves or something which they know they cannot commit to. We need someone with a heart and who has shown to speak out against pap in the interests of the people though he was from pap

Does this matter at all? Majority of unions already openly say they will back TT..., strange.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...148389/1/.html

PE: NTUC stays neutral in support of candidates

By Vimita Mohandas | Posted: 22 August 2011 1155 hrs

SINGAPORE: NTUC Chief Lim Swee Say said 75 per cent of unions affiliated to the National Trades Union Congress have endorsed presidential candidate Dr Tony Tan.

Mr Lim said the rest have chosen to remain neutral as they could not come to a consensus or were from the public sector and felt it was inappropriate to endorse any candidate.

Two main groups comprise this 25 per cent. One group was the aerospace and aviation cluster which was unable to reach a high majority of any one candidate. The other group was the public sector unions like HDB, IRAS and PUB which felt that it was inappropriate for public sector employees to endorse any candidate.

The unions which have endorsed Dr Tan said say they want a president who can boost Singapore's international standing to attract foreign investment.

They also want a president with a track record of contributing to job creation and who can work constructively with the government.

Since the Elected Presidency was created, the labour movement has thrown its weight behind two presidential candidates and they are the late Dr Ong Teng Cheong and President SR Nathan.

This is the first time NTUC has not endorsed any candidate and left it to the unions to make their choice.

"In other words, the unions and union leaders will not pressurise the union members in one way or another," said Mr Lim.

Dr Tan said he feels encouraged by their support.

"The 75 per cent is a tremendous boost for me and I'm very grateful to all the unions," said Dr Tan.

"This time the NTUC has left it to the unions to decide and there isn't any top-down directive. So each union makes up his own mind," he added.

Dr Tan was speaking on the sidelines of a dialogue session with the National Taxi Association on Monday.

If elected, Dr Tan will suggest allowing taxi drivers to work till they are 75.

A range of concerns by taxi drivers were discussed at the dialogue sessions. These include the problem of dealing with unruly passengers, improving the social safety net and enhancing the image of taxi drivers.

Dr Tan also suggested a National Taxi Drivers Day where awards can be given to model taxi drivers.

- CNA /ls

Default Reviewing of Central Provident Fund scheme

Why now? CPF liquid assets not enough due to recent global markets decline?
    Need to up minimum sum again or delay withdrawal...?

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_704827.html

Reviewing of Central Provident Fund scheme
    Published on Aug 22, 2011
    By Janice Tai

The government is reviewing the Central Provident Fund (CPF) scheme as life expectancy in Singapore increases to 85 and beyond, said BG (NS) Tan Chuan-Jin, Minister of State for Manpower and National Development on Monday on the sidelines of the Ee Peng Liang Memorial Fund Forum at the National University of Singapore.

At the forum, NUS alumnus Mr Ng Kok Hoe, who was awarded the Ee Peng Liang Memorial Fund Scholarship last year to pursue doctoral studies in Social Policy at the London School of Economics, presented findings from his research.

He found that the number of elderly who are living with their children in Singapore is declining. He said that this finding is significant because living with their children boosted the incomes of the elderly and improved their income security. As our retirement income system is built on the fact that children will provide for their parents and grandparents, he questioned the sustainability of our current retirement income system.

In his speech at the forum, BG Tan noted that Singapore is currently meeting the challenges of increasing longevity. One of the ways in which the government is tackling such challenges is encouraging family support. He said that we have schemes such as the Minimum Sum Topping-Up Scheme (MSTU), for members to voluntarily top up the CPF accounts of their family members, especially those who are not working or unable to work.

It is exactly pple of this mindset that will vote for a candidate who might not be as ideal... Just to be anti pap
    Interesting article on how one voter is going to vote:

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...s-and-donkeys/

Of Mules, Asses and Donkeys

It has been said that 30% of voters will vote for a PAP Donkey so long it is a PAP Donkey and 25% will vote for an Anti-PAP Ass so long it is Anti-PAP : meaning this leaves 45% of non-partisan voters – I called them Mules, just for the fun of it, no other puns intended.

I consider myself to be within this 45%. Having said this, based on what I have read both in mainstream and alternate media, I am for sure not going to vote for Tony Tan. He is just too close to the PAP and Lee family for my comfort.

But, I think it would be naive to think that PAP votes will be split between TT and TCB : TCB is not PAP endorsed. PAP does not need to endorse 2 donkeys – they will put all bets on 1 and it is TT.

Having said this, where does TCB stand : he will get votes from his personal contacts and people like yours truly – because I believe in what he said and based on his performance in the past, I think he is not beholden to PAP and has his own independant thinking, which is what I am looking for in the EP. I would have given him my Vote and as the survey shows, 33% or so in the poll.

But in this particular Presidential Election, we have a multi-corner contest : and I have to switch my thinking – I am no longer asking the question “Who will make the Best President” of the four Tan’s. I am asking “Who can have the best chance to defeat Tony Tan?” It is not about who is more popular, it is about putting a statement that I don’t endorse PAP anymore. There are too many stories of their high handedness and white horses and curries etc to be ignored.

So, I will put my vote of the person whom I believe has the best chance to defeat TT. With apologies to TCB, I am going to vote for TJS so that Mules combine with Asses could kick the “Donkeys” into oblivion.Sorry TCB : it is not about you, it is about making my voice heard louder.

Just my 2 cents worth – but I am putting my 2 cents where my mouth is.

Also, please think about this mindset.

AMD

Actually any candidate is fine as long as it's not you know who....