Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: PE: Four-cornered fight for Presidential race

Anyone except the one who lost billions of dollars of our money.
    Quote Originally Posted by extremme
    Actually any candidate is fine as long as it's not you know who....

temasek sold a stake in shin corp recently at a loss.

then aranda investments which is under temasek sold 37m k-green at 0.91 (when market price then was $1.00) just to raise a puny 33m. so......

its up to ur imagination lah.

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Why now? CPF liquid assets not enough due to recent global markets decline?
    Need to up minimum sum again or delay withdrawal...?

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_704827.html

Reviewing of Central Provident Fund scheme
    Published on Aug 22, 2011
    By Janice Tai

The government is reviewing the Central Provident Fund (CPF) scheme as life expectancy in Singapore increases to 85 and beyond, said BG (NS) Tan Chuan-Jin, Minister of State for Manpower and National Development on Monday on the sidelines of the Ee Peng Liang Memorial Fund Forum at the National University of Singapore.

At the forum, NUS alumnus Mr Ng Kok Hoe, who was awarded the Ee Peng Liang Memorial Fund Scholarship last year to pursue doctoral studies in Social Policy at the London School of Economics, presented findings from his research.

He found that the number of elderly who are living with their children in Singapore is declining. He said that this finding is significant because living with their children boosted the incomes of the elderly and improved their income security. As our retirement income system is built on the fact that children will provide for their parents and grandparents, he questioned the sustainability of our current retirement income system.

In his speech at the forum, BG Tan noted that Singapore is currently meeting the challenges of increasing longevity. One of the ways in which the government is tackling such challenges is encouraging family support. He said that we have schemes such as the Minimum Sum Topping-Up Scheme (MSTU), for members to voluntarily top up the CPF accounts of their family members, especially those who are not working or unable to work.

MUST WATCH, tues 23 Aug, 8pm, CNA

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...148484/1/.html

PE: Candidates debate role of President in Channel NewsAsia forum

By Hoe Yeen Nie | Posted: 22 August 2011 2120 hrs

SINGAPORE: The role and function of the Elected President dominated a television debate organised by Channel NewsAsia.

The hour-long programme, called "Meet the Candidates", featured all four presidential candidates together on television for the first time.

It will be aired on Channel NewsAsia at 8pm on Tuesday, 23 August. The programme will also be simulcast on MediaCorp's 938LIVE. There will be a repeat telecast on Channel 5 on 24 August.

The candidates were interviewed by Professor Tommy Koh, chairman of the Centre for International Law at the National University of Singapore; Janadas Devan, director of the Institute of Policy Studies at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy; and Debra Soon, managing director of Channel NewsAsia.

After a quick introduction by each candidate on why they should get the popular vote, it was straight to question time.

The candidates crossed swords on the limits of the President's constitutional powers, how they would act on proposals to draw down on past reserves and exercise their moral authority.

They were also asked how they would vet civil service appointments.

Mr Tan Jee Say said: "I would subject the appointees, the recommendations of the government, to a fair bit of scrutiny.

"We are talking of very senior appointments and we must do justice to the powers of the president. We should not take a flippant attitude, that this is from the government's recommendation and we accept it without question."

Mr Tan Kin Lian said: "I want to check on what are his (appointee) values, and I want to see whether he holds the values of honesty, fairness and a sense of public service. And I will probably want to influence him that these values are very important."

Candidates were also quizzed on what they would say to the leaders of China, India, Indonesia and the United States.

Dr Tan Cheng Bock said: "The four leaders you mentioned are very important to our country so I'll be very, very cautious.

"I definitely have to act on the advice of our foreign ministry. Each country has a particular relationship with us, and I have to be guided by how far I can go as a President in my conduct with all these leaders in my conversations."

Dr Tony Tan said: "I would give the same message to any of the four leaders. I would say, in a very polite way, that the issue facing all of us now in the world, in your country, in Asia, in my country in Singapore, is the global economy and the precarious state of the global economy today."

In a separately recorded programme for www.channelnewsasia.com, the candidates also took questions from the public that were sent in earlier. The programme will be uploaded on the website from 9am on Wednesday.

- CNA/ir

Default Ex-NMP Steve Chia: Tony Tan’s election posters have violated the President Elections

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...s-regulations/

Ex-NMP Steve Chia: Tony Tan’s election posters have violated the President Elections Regulations
    August 23rd, 2011 | Author: Your Correspondent
    Former Nominated Member of Parliament Steve Chia has accused PAP-endorsed presidential candidate Tony Tan of contravening election regulations as the name and address of his printer are not printed on his posters.

Under Section 4.1.3 of the Presidential Elections Act, “for all election advertising that is published in print form, the name and address of the printer and publisher must appear on the face of advertising.”:

We did a quick check on six campaign banners and posters of Tony Tan in Ang Mo Kio and Serangoon and realize that none of them had the name and address of the printer and publisher on it.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...an-cheng-bock/

Unsolicited SMS asking to vote for Tan Cheng Bock

On the morning of August 23rd, I received an unsolicited sms from “ChengBock” asking me to vote for Tan Cheng Bock. The few questions when I saw the sms were, how the heck did he manage to get my number? Did he buy my details from a marketing company? What else does he know about me? I definitely have never met the man in my life before so I could not have given him my number.

In this time and age, I know that it is naive to even think that a person’s cell phone number will be private anymore but I still find it highly disturbing that a presidential candidate would use such an intrusive method to canvass for votes. I can deal with
    flyers/media/facebook/twitter for vote canvassing because I can choose to tune them out. But an unsolicited sms? Now when I heard “Tan Cheng Bock”, I cannot help but associate the name with spam.

I am afraid this marketing action has just cost him 1 vote.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...al-solidarity/

Sylvia Lim scoffed at Prime Minister Lee’s call for ‘national solidarity

Sylvia Lim scoffed at Prime Minister Lee’s call for ‘national solidarity’

Sylvia Lim
    WP Chairman Sylvia Lim has scoffed at Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s recent call for ‘political harmony’ and ‘national solidarity’ in Singapore.

Speaking at the Ang Mo Kio-Hougang National Day Dinner yesterday evening, PM Lee emphasized that Singaporeans must work together to meet the challenges ahead.

“We must make sure that we keep on getting our economics right, our policies right and our politics right…and we must have harmonious political system where we make important decisions in the best interests of Singapore and Singaporeans, and keep ourselves safe in this uncertain environment.”

PM Lee’s words now sound hilarious in the face of the stunning relevation by Ms Lim on the cheap, callous and dirty tactics employed by the People’s Association which is chaired by PM Lee to sabotage WP’s grassroots work in Aljunied GRC.

The PA has banned WP MPs from attending grassroots events held on its premises on the lame excuse that ‘non-political’ events are allowed to be held there while ex-PAP MPs are able to do so in their capacities as ‘grassroots advisors’.

“The PA, a statutory board funded by tax payers’ money and chaired by the Prime Minister, appears to capitalize on its close connection with the government to serve the political interests of the ruling party. The PA is leveraging on HDB to enable PAP candidates who lost at the last elections to re-emerge at community events as “advisors” to PA grassroots organizations. The move to let PA control the sites previously managed by the Town Council would give PAP candidates a ground advantage and permanent presence, in advance preparation for the next elections,” she wrote in a media release posted on WP’s website last night.

Ms Lim should not be surprised as the PAP has been using this shameless ‘backdoor’ route to plant its losing candidates in the opposition-held wards though they were categorically rejected by the voters at the polls. Sitoh Yih Pin was the ‘grassroots advisor’ of Potong Pasir for the last ten years instead of its former MP Chiam See Tong which paved the way for his narrow victory in the May election.

“The PM has just called for political harmony and national solidarity in Singapore, and said that “we must have a harmonious political system where we make important decisions in the best interests of Singapore and Singaporeans.” Regrettably, there appears to be a dissonance between the language of national unity employed by the Prime Minister and the actions of the HDB and PA in Aljunied GRC,” Ms Lim wrote in her closing paragraph.

The petty politicking indulged by the PAP and the PA in Aljunied GRC at the expense of taxpayers has sparked a massive outcry from Singaporeans which may affect the chances of PAP-endorsed presidential candidate Tony Tan at the election this coming Saturday.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...148614/1/.html

PE: Candidates respond to WP's charges against HDB
    By Vimita Mohandas / Dylan Loh / Evelyn Choo | Posted: 23 August 2011 1303 hrs

SINGAPORE: Presidential candidate Dr Tony Tan has said the HDB should investigate the issue of transferring community sites in Aljunied GRC to the People's Association (PA) to ensure that proper procedures were followed.

Speaking in response to reporters after visiting a market at New Upper Changi Road on Tuesday, Dr Tan said he is concerned if there was any unfairness in the transfer of the HDB owned sites.

He wondered if this had been done intentionally, or whether it was a mistake.

Workers' Party chairman Sylvia Lim had accused the HDB of abusing its power as land owner by transferring the management rights of 26 open spaces from the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council to the People's Association.

Ms Lim added that the PA curtailed the ground presence of the elected WP MPs by warning residents who apply for permits to hold events at these sites not to invite the elected WP MPs or risk having their applications turned down in future.

"It's important that justice and fairness should be done. Not only that but that the public should see that justice and fairness has been done," said Dr Tan.

On the same issue, presidential candidate Dr Tan Cheng Bock said political parties should not receive unequal treatment.

He said Singaporeans generally want fairness, and to be fair to all, the opposition and ruling parties should not be given different guidelines.

He said if something was purposely done to put down a parliamentarian, it would go against fairness.

Dr Tan Cheng Bock said if he were President, he cannot imagine treating opposition and ruling party members differently.

He said: "The guiding principle should be this: that whichever party is in charge of that constituency, I think we got to give them due respect. Because when a Member of Parliament is elected, he's chosen by the people."

He added that the mandate given by people to a parliamentarian should be respected.

Presidential candidate Tan Jee Say has also weighed in on the issue of transferring community sites in Aljunied GRC to the People's Association (PA).

He said that the PA should not be partisan and that it should be fair to everyone, be they PAP or opposition MPs.

Speaking to reporters before the start of his outdoor rally at Toa Payoh stadium on Tuesday evening, he added the 7th Lunar Month festival is a happy occasion and that politics should not interfere with it.

He also said that the government has spoken about how the President should be non-partisan. So, government institutions should also be above politics, he said.

Mr Tan called on the different parties to come together to work out an amicable solution.

Meanwhile, presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian said that public spaces should be used for non-partisan purposes.

He was responding to a recent incident, where opposition Member of Parliament Chen Show Mao was reportedly told not to attend a community event at Paya Lebar.

Mr Tan said that the organiser should have been given the freedom to invite whoever he or she wanted.

He said: "Whoever is the Member of Parliament should be respected. And you can't say it can only be used by MPs of some political parties, but not of other political parties."

- CNA/cc/ac/ir

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...an-cheng-bock/

Unsolicited SMS asking to vote for Tan Cheng Bock

On the morning of August 23rd, I received an unsolicited sms from “ChengBock” asking me to vote for Tan Cheng Bock. The few questions when I saw the sms were, how the heck did he manage to get my number? Did he buy my details from a marketing company? What else does he know about me? I definitely have never met the man in my life before so I could not have given him my number.

In this time and age, I know that it is naive to even think that a person’s cell phone number will be private anymore but I still find it highly disturbing that a presidential candidate would use such an intrusive method to canvass for votes. I can deal with
    flyers/media/facebook/twitter for vote canvassing because I can choose to tune them out. But an unsolicited sms? Now when I heard “Tan Cheng Bock”, I cannot help but associate the name with spam.

I am afraid this marketing action has just cost him 1 vote.
    I also received his personalized msg this morning. Initially was very surprised but later realised that it probably was not sent by him but his over-enthusiastic supporters in some banks, etc. Well, unlike you, I haven't discounted voting for him yet! I also constantly receive phone calls from xxx banks and if I can don't take action against these banks, I guess there is also no need for me to be so with this personalized msg by a presidential hopeful!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    I also received his personalized msg this morning. Initially was very surprised but later realised that it probably was not sent by him but his over-enthusiastic supporters in some banks, etc. Well, unlike you, I haven't discounted voting for him yet! I also constantly receive phone calls from xxx banks and if I can don't take action against these banks, I guess there is also no need for me to be so with this personalized msg by a presidential hopeful!
    i received sms from "TANKINLIAN" instead

PALM TREE carried himself well 2nite while Hi-5 was smiling all the time....

how did the HEART fare? Almost a coronary?

Quote Originally Posted by taggy
    i received sms from "TANKINLIAN" instead
    I received from both!

i didn't get from either but kenna spammed by ppty agents instead today.

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    I received from both!

The PA has really outlived its purpose. All these years PA are doing things in the guise of community bonding blar blar blar but it is really to boost the popularity of the PAP MPs. You should see how balls are carried during community events and MPs treated macham like some god. Even at community dinner events, everybody comes punctually with the MP turning up late and everyone has to stand up just to greet him when he arrives. I am really sick of this shit and I really hope singaporeans can start treating these parliamentarians as servants rather than god. Why should the area be spruced up each time there is an MP visit? We should let the MP see the usual dirt and shit in the neighbourhood so that he will be constantly working to improve the neighbourhood and lives of the people.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...al-solidarity/

Sylvia Lim scoffed at Prime Minister Lee’s call for ‘national solidarity

Sylvia Lim scoffed at Prime Minister Lee’s call for ‘national solidarity’

Sylvia Lim
    WP Chairman Sylvia Lim has scoffed at Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s recent call for ‘political harmony’ and ‘national solidarity’ in Singapore.

Speaking at the Ang Mo Kio-Hougang National Day Dinner yesterday evening, PM Lee emphasized that Singaporeans must work together to meet the challenges ahead.

“We must make sure that we keep on getting our economics right, our policies right and our politics right…and we must have harmonious political system where we make important decisions in the best interests of Singapore and Singaporeans, and keep ourselves safe in this uncertain environment.”

PM Lee’s words now sound hilarious in the face of the stunning relevation by Ms Lim on the cheap, callous and dirty tactics employed by the People’s Association which is chaired by PM Lee to sabotage WP’s grassroots work in Aljunied GRC.

The PA has banned WP MPs from attending grassroots events held on its premises on the lame excuse that ‘non-political’ events are allowed to be held there while ex-PAP MPs are able to do so in their capacities as ‘grassroots advisors’.

“The PA, a statutory board funded by tax payers’ money and chaired by the Prime Minister, appears to capitalize on its close connection with the government to serve the political interests of the ruling party. The PA is leveraging on HDB to enable PAP candidates who lost at the last elections to re-emerge at community events as “advisors” to PA grassroots organizations. The move to let PA control the sites previously managed by the Town Council would give PAP candidates a ground advantage and permanent presence, in advance preparation for the next elections,” she wrote in a media release posted on WP’s website last night.

Ms Lim should not be surprised as the PAP has been using this shameless ‘backdoor’ route to plant its losing candidates in the opposition-held wards though they were categorically rejected by the voters at the polls. Sitoh Yih Pin was the ‘grassroots advisor’ of Potong Pasir for the last ten years instead of its former MP Chiam See Tong which paved the way for his narrow victory in the May election.

“The PM has just called for political harmony and national solidarity in Singapore, and said that “we must have a harmonious political system where we make important decisions in the best interests of Singapore and Singaporeans.” Regrettably, there appears to be a dissonance between the language of national unity employed by the Prime Minister and the actions of the HDB and PA in Aljunied GRC,” Ms Lim wrote in her closing paragraph.

The petty politicking indulged by the PAP and the PA in Aljunied GRC at the expense of taxpayers has sparked a massive outcry from Singaporeans which may affect the chances of PAP-endorsed presidential candidate Tony Tan at the election this coming Saturday.

Anyone received from both TCB and TKL?

TT during his conversation with the other candidates last night, just said something that confirmed my fears on voting for him. He again reiterated that he must abide by the constitution on his role as a president should he be elected, and even appeared unwilling to speak up for the people if the thing concerned is not stipulated in the constitution and not under his portfolio. Sigh! Is he then dependable? President is not politically motivated and he must also be completely segregated from PAP but our dear TT appears to still buy into PAP and their ideologies! Cannot voice opinions to govt! Must be guai guai citizen! At least TJS or someone mentioned that he'll have a personal dialogue with PM to voice his concern should that need arises!

The conversation will be aired on CH5 tonight and CNA tomorrow!

Quite a lot of people at TJS rally last nite. Vehicle was slow getting into toa payoh last night. How about Yio Chu Kang tonight at TKL rally?

There is really no fear this time round to vote for an outspoken President. It is not a general election whereby a freak result may cost us a government. The constitution already limits the powers of the President, but an outspoken President can make the system more transparent e.g. what the hell is GIC doing with our money, which as former Dy Chairman and ED of GIC, TT is in no position to question.

There is really no fear this time round to vote for an outspoken President. It is not a general election whereby a freak result may cost us a government. The constitution already limits the powers of the President, but an outspoken President can make the system more transparent e.g. what the hell is GIC doing with our money, which as former Dy Chairman and ED of GIC, TT is in no position to question.
    Well TT is speaking at Clarke Quay this afternoon! Will he persistently maintain his unwillingness to speak up to the govt should the need arises? That is the feeling he's been injecting in most, if not all his speeches! Then he'll just be a puppet president, hiding behind the govt and taking his huge pay which he's not even willing to reject or donate!!!

SUPPORT PALM TREE!

TT is watching over us in condosingapore.
    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    SUPPORT PALM TREE!

As usual, our mediacorp only reported 8000 people to down play TJS rally. It looks like more than 30000 people in the toa payoh stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    TT is watching over us in condosingapore.
    lol....

As usual, our mediacorp only reported 8000 people to down play TJS rally. It looks like more than 30000 people in the toa payoh stadium.
    ENJOY THE INDOOR COMFORT OF ATTENDING TCB RALLY AT SINGAPORE EXPO TMR EVENING INSTEAD LAH

Tt is watching over us

anyone feel that TJS responses hv been weak? For eg, in CNA discussion, when asked about dispute management, he talked about how he resolved issues with subordinates. so general and lame for a president candidate.

in TOC discussion, he was aggressive, lost some cool.. pointed fingers at times.

in a youtube video, he mentioned "we must plant our seeds for next GE at 2016".. thats obviously referring to opposition.. while he claimed to be independent..

and what record does he have? so little info and within 6 months, he wants to be president.

I am feeling disappointed that he didnt seemed more capable than I hoped for.. I am scrutinising him more as i of course wanted to give him a chance.

for now, I am leaning for 'the least of all evil' candidate.. palm trees..

Very obvious tat TT belong to pap party and tjs belongs to opposition party....

He ask ppl to vote for him just bcoz he is not previously from pap!

No emo baggage etc....well....i also not from PAP wat?! Whahaha wats the big deal? Whahahhaah

40% of the country voted for the opposition and only 6 seats awarded to opposition in parliament. No ex-PAP member can fill the shoes of the president becoz he will just be agreeing to what the PAP says, effectively just a rubber stamp and nothing else. You may dislike the opposition, but at least TJS will bother to speak up for the people, scrutinise civil service manpower and guard how our money is spent by GIC and Temasek. Do you think TT will strongly oppose to PAP's agenda or have the balls to do so? The president has to be someone with balls and a heart, not just a silent endorser of everything the PAP proposes like the current prata man. TJS also rightly pointed out that $500k is all the president needs to live well, and it takes courage to pledge the other $4 over million of his pay back to the people which I am certain people like TT and TCB will not do.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Very obvious tat TT belong to pap party and tjs belongs to opposition party....

He ask ppl to vote for him just bcoz he is not previously from pap!

No emo baggage etc....well....i also not from PAP wat?! Whahaha wats the big deal? Whahahhaah