Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: PE: Four-cornered fight for Presidential race

Be careful, the palm tree is still a lackey and he is thick in the grassroots. Being very close to PA means he is still a very good kawan to PAP and LHL. He is put there to split the votes of those who support the opposition so as to give TT a decisive victory. Don't fall for their ploy. We need a president that will speak for us strongly, not someone who just sits by the side and just watch things go by.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11
    anyone feel that TJS responses hv been weak? For eg, in CNA discussion, when asked about dispute management, he talked about how he resolved issues with subordinates. so general and lame for a president candidate.

in TOC discussion, he was aggressive, lost some cool.. pointed fingers at times.

in a youtube video, he mentioned "we must plant our seeds for next GE at 2016".. thats obviously referring to opposition.. while he claimed to be independent..

and what record does he have? so little info and within 6 months, he wants to be president.

I am feeling disappointed that he didnt seemed more capable than I hoped for.. I am scrutinising him more as i of course wanted to give him a chance.

for now, I am leaning for 'the least of all evil' candidate.. palm trees..

If TT and TCB is to take home only $500K, PM, cabinent ministers, Minister of State, Perm Sec, MPs, , will take a cut too. Great implications. Will never happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    40% of the country voted for the opposition and only 6 seats awarded to opposition in parliament. No ex-PAP member can fill the shoes of the president becoz he will just be agreeing to what the PAP says, effectively just a rubber stamp and nothing else. You may dislike the opposition, but at least TJS will bother to speak up for the people, scrutinise civil service manpower and guard how our money is spent by GIC and Temasek. Do you think TT will strongly oppose to PAP's agenda or have the balls to do so? The president has to be someone with balls and a heart, not just a silent endorser of everything the PAP proposes like the current prata man. TJS also rightly pointed out that $500k is all the president needs to live well, and it takes courage to pledge the other $4 over million of his pay back to the people which I am certain people like TT and TCB will not do.

40% of the country voted for the opposition and only 6 seats awarded to opposition in parliament. No ex-PAP member can fill the shoes of the president becoz he will just be agreeing to what the PAP says, effectively just a rubber stamp and nothing else. You may dislike the opposition, but at least TJS will bother to speak up for the people, scrutinise civil service manpower and guard how our money is spent by GIC and Temasek. Do you think TT will strongly oppose to PAP's agenda or have the balls to do so? The president has to be someone with balls and a heart, not just a silent endorser of everything the PAP proposes like the current prata man. TJS also rightly pointed out that $500k is all the president needs to live well, and it takes courage to pledge the other $4 over million of his pay back to the people which I am certain people like TT and TCB will not do.
    Wud prefer the elected president to do it in low key manner wif regards to donating pay...our ministers pay follows a hierarchy wif president on top of it. Haf to b tactful

And i will feel utterly ashamed to haf tjs to be my president.....ashamed to be a singaporean

His actions behaviour n mannerism got direct impact on sg image n reputation....

Be careful, the palm tree is still a lackey and he is thick in the grassroots. Being very close to PA means he is still a very good kawan to PAP and LHL. He is put there to split the votes of those who support the opposition so as to give TT a decisive victory. Don't fall for their ploy. We need a president that will speak for us strongly, not someone who just sits by the side and just watch things go by.
    U be careful of ur comments

Baseless n bias n subjective assumptions r not welcome

Saw the breadtalk TAN promotion haa haa....

"This TAN may not be running for President, but its smooth egg custard and coconut flakes infused with gula melaka could well go down in history.
    Available for a limited period at $1.50 and $5 for 4 pcs in a box."

The $500k benchmark he set tells us that ministers are overly paid and wr all know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    If TT and TCB is to take home only $500K, PM, cabinent ministers, Minister of State, Perm Sec, MPs, , will take a cut too. Great implications. Will never happen

The $500k benchmark he set tells us that ministers are overly paid and wr all know that.
    Using other countries as a benchmark, 500k is also too much

The president probably needs only $250k to live on, the other $250k for him to save. Think $500k reasonable for a singapore president
    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Using other countries as a benchmark, 500k is also too much

The president probably needs only $250k to live on, the other $250k for him to save. Think $500k reasonable for a singapore president
    Again its very subjective

ok last chance, who ever will take the job for $200k, will have my vote hahahahah

It is a fact, anyone can survive on $250k a year, it is all about controlling one's spending. Most of the president's expenditure paid for by the state so why does he need more than $500k? If a president needs more than $500k, that is called lavish
    Again its very subjective

It is a fact, anyone can survive on $250k a year, it is all about controlling one's spending. Most of the president's expenditure paid for by the state so why does he need more than $500k?
    I realise u like to make assumptions

I meant to say 500k is too much in my own view....100k is more den enough oredi for tjs since he work for the people and not for the money ...somemore u rightly pointed out tat president expenditure r mostly paid for

Quote Originally Posted by taggy
    ok last chance, who ever will take the job for $200k, will have my vote hahahahah
    Y not let the people of singapore dictate our president pay?

$500k is decent for the president with plenty for spending and indulgences. $4 million is vulgarly obscene.
    I realise u like to make assumptions

I meant to say 500k is too much in my own view....100k is more den enough oredi for tjs since he work for the people and not for the money ...somemore u rightly pointed out tat president expenditure r mostly paid for

TJS obviously is at Opp side. how can he be independent. he want to challenge the govt, check govt...blar blar blar.....same voice when he run GE. capable or not nobody know, there is no report card. but i think if he is voted, he sure cause disruption to govt. he want to safe guard reserve? maybe he will be the first to use the reserve to satisfy his 60billion big dream. if any policy is going to scrutinise by him, how can a country run smoothly. will scare off investor

skali black horse TAN KIN LIAN win!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    TJS obviously is at Opp side. how can he be independent. he want to challenge the govt, check govt...blar blar blar.....same voice when he run GE. capable or not nobody know, there is no report card. but i think if he is voted, he sure cause disruption to govt. he want to safe guard reserve? maybe he will be the first to use the reserve to satisfy his 60billion big dream. if any policy is going to scrutinise by him, how can a country run smoothly. will scare off investor
    But the president can't propose the use of reserve. He can only approve or object to the government's use of reserve. A president from a different point of view acts to safeguard the reserve. Don't need a rubber stamp president.

The beauty of the presidential election is that his powers are limited, his symbolic power is more than real power. There's no fear of freak results that will put opposition in government, yet it allows for an alternative, institutionalized voice that everyone agrees that we need, what else are we waiting for....

Must be independent of the ruling party that already forms the govt, coz we don't want a president that is a clone of the ruling party that already runs the govt. Opposition does not form the govt so independent of them or not is immaterial.

Must be independent of the ruling party that already forms the govt, coz we don't want a president that is a clone of the ruling party that already runs the govt. Opposition does not form the govt so independent of them or not is immaterial.
    Tan Kin Lian meet yr requirement. he is the most "clean" don belong to either party

Tkl ex pap lah
    Tan Kin Lian meet yr requirement. he is the most "clean" don belong to either party

Tkl ex pap lah
    he openly said that he is most neutral leh....he said he never join any party hor

Still sceptical about him, but I will still consider him to tt and tcb.
    he openly said that he is most neutral leh....he said he never join any party hor

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...148881/1/.html

PE: Tan Cheng Bock "disappointed" that some are afraid to support him
    By Wayne Chan | Posted: 24 August 2011 1625 hrs

SINGAPORE: Presidential candidate Dr Tan Cheng Bock said he was disappointed that some of his former People's Action Party fellow members and those working in the government or government-linked companies were afraid to support him in his presidential bid.

Dr Tan said this during his campaign trail at Raffles City, where he met the lunchtime crowd of working professionals on Wednesday.

He was responding to questions on his comment that there was a "fear of the consequences of standing up for one's beliefs" in the online edition of a Channel NewsAsia programme, "Meet the Candidates", which was aired on Tuesday.

Dr Tan replied that some had expressed fears that they could lose their jobs if they supported him. He stressed that they should not be afraid as the Presidential Election is apolitical.

Dr Tan will be holding his rally at 7.30pm on Thursday at Hall 8 of the Singapore Expo.

He said speakers will have to stay within the boundaries of the Constitution. This means they should not engage in day-to-day politics or raise bread-and-butter issues.

Dr Tan noted that some issues raised by another candidate, Mr Tan Jee Say, at a rally on Tuesday were "out of bounds".

He added that he was "disturbed" by Mr Tan's point about checking and challenging the government.

However, Dr Tan said while he does not want to create dissent between the President and the government, it does not mean he will be "weak and just toe the government line".

-CNA/ac

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08...ect-skyeleven/

EXPOSED: Tony Tan and family bought 3 units of SPH project Sky@eleven before its soft launch in 2007

August 24th, 2011 | Author: Temasek Review

According to a tip-off we received from a SPH insider, Tony Tan and his family bought three units of Sky@eleven condominium before they were officially launched in 2007.
    Sky@eleven is a freehold luxury development by Times Development, the property arm of Singapore Press Holdings Ltd (SPH)
    http://static.sglinks.com/images/pag...jpg?1305712946
    Located at Thomson Lane, off Thomson Road, the 43-storey high Sky@eleven is the tallest development in the area. One major selling point of Sky@eleven was its attractive pricing, averaging at $975 psf. The highest price recorded was $1,200 psf.
    In 2007, SPH sold out all of 273 units of Sky@eleven condo within 30 hours of its soft launch on the evening of Sunday, 28 January, even before the public launch which was scheduled for this weekend.
    In a statement released to the media, then SPH Chairman and Director Dr Tony Tan said:
    “We are extremely happy with the overwhelming response and at the same time very grateful to the buyers for their support for our exclusive development.”
    However Dr Tony Tan did not reveal that his eldest son and daughter-in-law as well as a company partly owned by him and his immediate family had bought 3 units of Sky@eleven before its soft launch.
    Below are the pre-sale options some directors asked for and obtained, as declared by SPH to its shareholders, but not reported in the press.
    The Directors of Singapore Press Holdings Limited (“SPH” or the “Company”) wish to announce that the Board has approved the proposed sale of units (the “Units”) in the residential development known as Sky@eleven to the following persons who are interested persons of SPH pursuant to Chapter 9 of the Listing Manual of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited (the “Purchaser”):
    - Tan Boon Huan, Peter, son of Tony Tan Keng Yam and Tan Yew Mei, daughter-in-law of Tony Tan Keng Yam
    # 39-09
    Sky@eleven
    $1,871,000
    - Bee Kiang (Private) Limited, a company in which Tony Tan Keng Yam and his immediate family have an interest of 30% or more.
    # 41-01
    Sky@eleven
    $3,074,000
    - Bee Kiang (Private) Limited, a company in which Tony Tan Keng Yam and his immediate family have an interest of 30% or more.
    #41-02
    Sky@eleven
    $2,828,000
    Download the SPH file here
    The prices of Sky@eleven have almost doubled since it was launched in 2007. Based on the latest transactions with caveats lodged from URA, Sky@eleven are now selling at between $1,500 – $1,600 psf. (read more here)
    After he retired from politics in 2006, Dr Tony Tan was appointed as Chairman of SPH by the PAP regime.
    Dr Tony Tan and his family would not be able to obtain the pre-sale options to purchase exclusive units of Sky@eleven before its soft launch if he were not a director of SPH.
    Since he is running for the presidency now, Dr Tony Tan should come clean with Singaporeans and revealed the identities of his other family members who have bought the two units of Sky@eleven under his company Bee Kiang (Private) Limited.

The more the elections, the more fragile the situation is to the party concerned.

I can't say I totally agree on everything you've mentioned but certainly agree that TT will merely become a PAP puppet president who keeps saying I'm not a political figure.

Still sceptical about him, but I will still consider him to tt and tcb.
    500k still cheapest man right

I don't mind having a President being paid $4mil a year, as long as he can portray Singapore in good light internationally and attract investors to create jobs for us. No point watching over a reserve that might dwindle if there is too much internal political instability that might affect investors' sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by taggy
    500k still cheapest man right

Market going down liao, its $1 now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...ys-Tan-Jee-Say

I would do it for $1, says Tan Jee Say

by Esther Ng
    04:46 AM Aug 24, 2011
    var fontIndex = 2; var fontSize = new Array('0.63em', '0.69em', '0.75em', '0.88em', '1em', '1.13em');
    SINGAPORE - He knows what it is like to be poor, presidential candidate Tan Jee Say told the crowd. At the start of each school year when new books, shoes and clothes were needed, his mother would borrow five to ten dollars from relatives to put her nine children through school.

And in a tribute to his mother at his election rally at the Toa Payoh Stadium last night, Mr Tan showed the crowd a life-sized photograph of the two of them standing on the steps of the Istana during his Commissioning Parade in 1977.

"The photo reminds me of the long and hard journey that my mother had travelled since her days as a washerwoman," he said during a question-and-answer segment towards the end of the rally, which saw Mr Tan read answers to prepared questions posed by former deejay Petrina Kow.

"If the son of a washerwoman from Hainan Island in China can aspire to be a President one day, then I hope the future generations of young Singaporeans will also feel inspired to dream big and be President of Singapore," the investment adviser and former senior civil servant added.

In reply to Ms Kow's question about his employment record, Mr Tan said he had changed jobs three to four times over 14 years when he was in the private sector.

"It's not uncommon for people in the financial sector to move around - some even move after one year," said Mr Tan.

At Peregrine, Mr Tan said, he was behind a merger and acquisition between an Indonesian conglomerate and a major Malaysian-listed mining company worth about US$150 million (S$180 million). And at AIB Govett, a fund management company, he said that he won for them a major mandate from a sovereign wealth fund and also set up for them a syariah fund for the insurance subsidiary of a major Malaysian bank.

As for his independence, Mr Tan reiterated he was "not pushing" for any Opposition agenda nor political gain. Instead, he added, he was in the race to serve the people. He said: "The views that I have, contrary to the Government, are not the monopoly of the Opposition. Even some members of the (People's Action Party) are unhappy about the PAP."

Mr Tan, 57, identified two key causes that he would pursue as President: Help for the elderly and their caregivers; and promote volunteerism among youths.

He said his 100-year-old mother, who died in February, had mild dementia, and he understood the stress that caregivers had to go through.

Mr Tan said he would also do more to get youths to volunteer, citing the example in the United Kingdom where students would take a year off from studies to do charity work.

Asked whether he would run for the presidency if he were not paid, Mr Tan said in jest: "I would do it for one dollar, like Steve Jobs."

But "seriously", Mr Tan added, he was running to "serve the people".

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Market going down liao, its $1 now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...ys-Tan-Jee-Say

I would do it for $1, says Tan Jee Say

Asked whether he would run for the presidency if he were not paid, Mr Tan said in jest: "I would do it for one dollar, like Steve Jobs."

But "seriously", Mr Tan added, he was running to "serve the people".[/SIZE]
    he didnt commit he will donate all the $$$ and just take $1 leh.
    talk is cheap (is free actually)