Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My next door unit has been Vacant for months

Default My next door unit has been Vacant for months

Just really curious about something.

I moved into my studio apartment in April this year.
    While I was renovating the place in march, I saw the tenants next door moving out. and I've been concerned who will my new neighbours be.

But almost 6 months later today, the 2 bedroom unit next door is still vacant!

Out of curiousity, I tried to search online and on classifieds to see if this unit is in the market for sale or rental, but its not leh.
    I stay home a lot and also never seen anybody come for viewing.

I'm staying in a 10 year old apartment and the location is pretty good.

As much as i enjoy the peace and quiet, I am also super curious why the owner of the unit will leave it vacant for so long??

any ideas?

got any odd smell?

Which condo are you living in? Maybe the owner find it too troublesome to rent out and decided to keep it vacant. Not everyone needs that extra cash unless you know the financial situation of the owner

Bad history in this unit?

Actually its kind of silly to ask here since there could be so many reasons.

Just a little creepy when I think about it.

hahha.

Do u guys see a lot of vacant units around?? Not those newly TOP ones la.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet
    Actually its kind of silly to ask here since there could be so many reasons.

Just a little creepy when I think about it.

hahha.

Do u guys see a lot of vacant units around?? Not those newly TOP ones la.
    I had seen unit vacant for years upon TOP. And onwer just hold on t the key

The owner was a renegade trying to escape the arms of the law so temporarily take cover overseas for couple of months before things get sorted out. Cannot rent out because it will inevitably reveal his identity!

Call the cops!

Just really curious about something.

I moved into my studio apartment in April this year.
    While I was renovating the place in march, I saw the tenants next door moving out. and I've been concerned who will my new neighbours be.

But almost 6 months later today, the 2 bedroom unit next door is still vacant!

Out of curiousity, I tried to search online and on classifieds to see if this unit is in the market for sale or rental, but its not leh.
    I stay home a lot and also never seen anybody come for viewing.

I'm staying in a 10 year old apartment and the location is pretty good.

As much as i enjoy the peace and quiet, I am also super curious why the owner of the unit will leave it vacant for so long??

any ideas?

If your condo is near the good schools; IE. Bukit Timah stretch, your next door neighbour could have bought the apartment for the address to register their child into primary school. Their main residence could be somewhere else. Once they get into the school of choice, many would leave their apartment empty so as not to break the minimum occupancy period criterion as required by the MOE/school (believe its 2 years from date of successful admission to school). Renting the place out during that time period is also technically breaking the MOE criterion policy, so for those who are financially able, will choose to leave the place empty for the 2 years. My 2 cents...

you hear mysterious noises at night from the unit next door, like someone crying for help or howling for justice?

a more likely reason is that the owner doesn't want to rent it to some yahoo and have it vandalized.

Another likely reason is the unit is finally sold after 5 months so its no longer in the market for sale but still need another month or two for the legal proceedings before new owners move in? Just wait another 2 months then feedback again!

Drill a hole in the wall and your studio can become a 3 bedroom unit for free!

You guys have a great sense of humor...I like this thread!

peek in the window. can you see a pair of feet off the floor dangling at the window?

take a close look at the doorway. See any mysterious liquid oozing from inside the unit?

take a whiff of the air. do you smell anything that smacks of dead bodies at the tsunami site in Japan?

Are you sure the owners have moved out? Have they packed everything and left? Did they leave Boo Radley behind and just feed him from the windows once everyday?

Maybe either one of them is posted overseas for work (could be 1 or 2yrs or more), so the whole family follows, therefore temporary leave the house vacant. Do not want to rent out to avoid any unnecessary trouble from unreasonable tenants.Afterall they don't need the rental money to survive.

Don't worry, after 5 months if no smell coming out from there, you are quite safe.I have got friends who are overseas and they leave their house empty so that when they get back, they can stay there.
    Also got a few rich ones that leave a few of the condos vacant and they treat it like their holiday home.

You may like to drop a card eg christmas card later in their mail box and you may get a reply.

On a serious note, you can approach the Management Corporation to enquire about your next door unit. They will be able to advice whether owner is paying the maintenance fees or has the owner absconded without trace.

It is not that I am dam bull but read the scary article.

Out of 6 million in sg 129000 such individuals have avg 5.7 million / person 2.15% of the population.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_707984.html
    Affordable means small

Your next door unit is empty precisely for a reason - i.e. apt is used for depositing the bodies of the homeless folks and other vagabonds after harvesting their organs

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Drill a hole in the wall and your studio can become a 3 bedroom unit for free!
    I like this Idea!!

Actually I hope it will stay Empty cos Its so peaceful now.

Depite it being empty, the lights are always on at night.

Waste electricity leh....

No smell so most likey no bodies without organs....

But the layer of dust on the gate (partly contributed by my renovation) is getting thicker and thicker. Got spider webs too...

Its quite stupid if I go clean it rite?

I like this Idea!!

But the layer of dust on the gate (partly contributed by my renovation) is getting thicker and thicker. Got spider webs too...

Owner is still ard? Something cld have happened to him or her outside e hse.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Owner is still ard? Something cld have happened to him or her outside e hse.
    One of the dead bodies found in reservoirs in the recent weeks?

The owner chould be harbouring a sex slave the apt and visit her only in the dead of the night!

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    The owner chould be harbouring a sex slave the apt and visit her only in the dead of the night!
    Did you provide that slave and so you know?

Could it be that the owner had forgotten to switch off the light when moving out. During day time, you couldn't see the light on because it is bright. Is the light on since the day the owner moved out or only occasionally?

I like this Idea!!

No, I think a house with lights on at night but no residents is the spookiest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    No, I think a house with lights on at night but no residents is the spookiest thing.
    I think a house with "residents" but no lights on at night is spookier

maybe you can try cooking a pot of curry and see whether there is any response.

not surprise, there are units in my condo have been empty since TOP 3.5 years back. One Indonesia neighour told me that she keeps the unit just for stay in Sg...and she have so many in Sg, take turn to stay...

if u c OneAmber, u can see unit did not even install the balcony light and curtain as well