Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Property owners of year 2010 onwards

Default Property owners of year 2010 onwards

How many here fall into this category? How have your property value held up? My friend told me that those bought in 2010 onwards will face the history of those bought 1995-1996. Come to think of it, possible. For eg, OCR above 1k psf in places like D19 even for big units(>1000sf), if this is not called bubble then what is it?

Those who bought have already collected 10% back. Assuming this buyer bought early 2010 and rental yield vs purchase price would be at least 5%. If not, 6-7%. 5 years more, he/she would have collected another 20-25% which gives him/her a total of 30-35% of the purchase price.

Those who bought to stay are not really affected except heart pain a bit but still, they need a place to stay anyway. If you don't sell, you don't lose money. You only lose the opportunity cost.

Anyway, property prices go up and down. Those bought in 1996, collected rental for 15 years, sell off today - how much do you think this group of buyers make??

We have to factor in inflation. I would expect property prices to move in tandem with inflation. On average I mean.

I firmly believe this formula stays:-

1997 peak < 2007 peak < 201? peak
    1998 low < 2009 low < 201? low

Quote Originally Posted by Montaigne
    How many here fall into this category? How have your property value held up? My friend told me that those bought in 2010 onwards will face the history of those bought 1995-1996. Come to think of it, possible. For eg, OCR above 1k psf in places like D19 even for big units(>1000sf), if this is not called bubble then what is it?

If you are prepared and able to hold on for more than 10 years, you will still make a profit. And all the while your loan will have been reducing and your tenant helps to pay off the loan. Those who bought in 1996 and held on till now will have paid off half of their loan already and their property probably has at least doubled in value.

I bot D19, $850 psf. Good price anot?

Some would have paid off their loan with the help of the rental income.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    If you are prepared and able to hold on for more than 10 years, you will still make a profit. And all the while your loan will have been reducing and your tenant helps to pay off the loan. Those who bought in 1996 and held on till now will have paid off half of their loan already and their property probably has at least doubled in value.

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    I bot D19, $850 psf. Good price anot?
    tenure? near mrt? My opinion: If LH99 near mrt, good buy. If FH near MRT starbuy, if FH not very near MRT still ok buy. If LH and not near MRT, bad buy.

I am in this category. Why I buy now and not wait?
    I waited for so long but things seem to move upwards.
    With the low interest rate it is a good time to buy if you have the means.
    If there is a price correction it will not apply to me as chiaberry has said, if you are prepared to hold it for 10 years you will still make a profit.

So if you like a place very much and are financially comfortable with it, just go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    So if you like a place very much and are financially comfortable with it, just go for it!
    For own stay pty, yes! If u like the place and can afford, just do it.

maybe TS Is talking about investment pty. In 1996 the market was not transparent. There was no place to check past transacted prices so easily like now. A lot of misinfo were being spread by agents. Prices were being chased up in weeks, even days. Today with e URA data easily available, the speculation factor is much less.

Btw some 1996 buys are still under water. Bishan 8 was launched at 1100psf ( FEO was already hero then), after 15 ys still barely 1200. Duchess Crest also at 1100, same fate today.

can u still buy a plate chicken rice at $1.50, 1995 price? Y compare to history, the time n situation is different. time value of $$$ is different.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    can u still buy a plate chicken rice at $1.50, 1995 price? Y compare to history, the time n situation is different. time value of $$$ is different.
    Not comparing price, m comparing trends. Also price is way too high. How likely is it for OCR properties at least 1000sf and more than 500m from MRT to appreciate to 1.5k or even 2kpsf in future? Do u really think this is really ever possible? I am not talking about MM units.

Not comparing price, m comparing trends. Also price is way too high. How likely is it for OCR properties at least 1000sf and more than 500m from MRT to appreciate to 1.5k or even 2kpsf in future? Do u really think this is really ever possible? I am not talking about MM units.
    that kind of appreciation is not normal. aim for 5% a year is realistic. there are still developements near mrt lh 99 years which are selling 700 psf . can get $3k rental. u do the maths, n ask urself can or not. take bank $$ n make $$$.

Even if a 800k HDB at town near mrt can rent near $3k. Is the price crazy? Yes. Is it a good return? Yes also. 5% yield or 22 years it become fully paid.

But usually those are mass market condo. Not for speculating. They are not selling anyway, who cares if it goes up to 1500 psf. They can't sell anyway.

Basically, prices kept moving up and up. It goes up by 10%, up again by 10%, then drop by 5%, then up by 8%. So nett nett still up. Prices you saw years back cannot be seen now. FH was only S$500psf. Now LH already S$1,100+

So just buy. If nobody buys then how am i going to make money from my properties?

Lai lai lai, ai bueh mai.

Wat if one bot slightly before 2010 (2009 prices still relatively cheap leh)? I moved into mine juz last year ..

My gut feel is that for that kinda price I paid, it's gg to be quite unlikely for me to buy another property, whether to replace or as additional, at the same level of psf There will be some kinda of 'resistance' price level perhaps? Hence, I believe most who bot in 2010, new or old, so long as not at those runaway prices, would have made some decent profits on paper ..

U buy more, you gain more...

U buy earlier, the better..

U buy lower, the better.

tenure? near mrt? My opinion: If LH99 near mrt, good buy. If FH near MRT starbuy, if FH not very near MRT still ok buy. If LH and not near MRT, bad buy.
    Then Estuary, Thomson Grand, Waterview, Seastrand, H2O, Minton, Boathouse, Clover etc all bad buy? Can find new 99LH for $600psf now?

everyyear on average i earn 5%, because paper devalue roughly 5% a year, by the 10th year earn 50% liao, not counting rental oor interest payment

buy buy buy. decade of boom coming. everywhere is so rosy
    Affordable means small

Quote Originally Posted by yjcai
    buy buy buy. decade of boom coming. everywhere is so rosy
    Decade? Where are the rosy parts?

Then Estuary, Thomson Grand, Waterview, Seastrand, H2O, Minton, Boathouse, Clover etc all bad buy? Can find new 99LH for $600psf now?
    Clover bought 3 years back was a very good buy. Then $8xx psf. Now $12xx psf. Bao Jiat!

I bought a resale last year and got a decent rental yield. Then, the people around me said that I entered at the peak. But according to bank, my property value has increased by some 30% now. Even IRAS has sent me a letter to revise the yearly property value for tax purpose, by an increase of 20%.

This year bought another unit which TOP will be in a few years time. The question is, if I bought mine at 1k psf, can I still buy it at 1k psf for same or newly TOP development in 4 years time when my condo is ready? Nobody can tell for sure.

As many have said, the earlier you buy the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yin Yin

As many have said, the earlier you buy the better it is.
    I don't think it's a matter of when you buy but what you buy and at what price.

Question is whether the buyer getting "value for money".

Also have to consider other costs associated with home ownership (e.g. mortgage rates were much higher back then) and also opportunity cost (of using that money for something else - remember how easy it was to make money in the stock market?).

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Clover bought 3 years back was a very good buy. Then $8xx psf. Now $12xx psf. Bao Jiat!
    Clover was a big surprise to everyone, even to the developer themselves.
    First there was announcement of the Park, then ThomsonGrande then BishanMRT Condo.... sure good buy lah...

But on first few days, it wasnt a sell out... only park facing ones...
    by the way, it was $7xx avg at launch

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    I am toking abt $850 psf. If Clover now $850psf, good buy anot? Not near MRT and 99 LH..

I am toking abt $850 psf. If Clover now $850psf, good buy anot? Not near MRT and 99 LH..
    Very difficult to answer. Today's actual market vs a pseudo market you are painting. If at $850psf and everywhere else is higher, then its a superb buy with prospect of further price rising with the new Bishan condo coming up and the HDB around are asking good price. My colleague just bought a 4room HDB across the road for $500k with $80k COV. Bao Jiat! Too many independent variables to argue the point. Must have more controlled variables!

Property owners may have to welcome migrants based on the report of IPS:

And with 60,000 net migrants added annually, Singapore’s total resident population would increase to 6.76 million in 2050. If TFRgradually rises from 1.24 to 1.85 by 2025 and stabilises, and there is zero migration, the total resident population will be 3.37 million. Total resident population is the total number of citizens and permanent residents. The implications of the figures in these scenarios was discussed at the roundtable yesterday. One was the weight of an ageing population (65 and above) on those of working ages (between 15 and 65 years old). For example, it is projected that by 2050, 1.9 working adult will support one elderly person, compared to the 8.6 in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Property owners may have to welcome migrants based on the report of IPS:

And with 60,000 net migrants added annually, Singapore’s total resident population would increase to 6.76 million in 2050. If TFRgradually rises from 1.24 to 1.85 by 2025 and stabilises, and there is zero migration, the total resident population will be 3.37 million. Total resident population is the total number of citizens and permanent residents. The implications of the figures in these scenarios was discussed at the roundtable yesterday. One was the weight of an ageing population (65 and above) on those of working ages (between 15 and 65 years old). For example, it is projected that by 2050, 1.9 working adult will support one elderly person, compared to the 8.6 in 2005.

when u got nothing to lose, u will want zero migration....or better still negative nett inflow/outflow

2011 onwards should be for selling and not buying going forward

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    2011 onwards should be for selling and not buying going forward
    If I'm buying now, then I will repent for the next 5 years?
    After selling caspian, now I seriously thinking if I should buy now.

I believe that most people choose to hold and wait for a crash. If not those recent new launches should be doing much much better. I just felt that the results are not reflective of genuine demands.