Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Condo ground floor units with patio

Default Condo ground floor units with patio

Hi all,

Want to know your views on ground floor units with patio. Is this a good option to consider instead of getting a landed property.
    My children as still schooling and main intent is to experience landed living without compromising on security and availing condo facilities like gym, swimming pool etc. Do the ground floor units with patio have to pay higher maintenance in terms of MCST share value.
    Given a choice between landed and ground floor units. What will be your take!!

Cheers
    Santro

Quote Originally Posted by Santro
    Hi all,

Want to know your views on ground floor units with patio. Is this a good option to consider instead of getting a landed property.
    My children as still schooling and main intent is to experience landed living without compromising on security and availing condo facilities like gym, swimming pool etc. Do the ground floor units with patio have to pay higher maintenance in terms of MCST share value.
    Given a choice between landed and ground floor units. What will be your take!!

Cheers
    Santro
    Nope, ground floor units will pay the same amount as the units similar to them without the patio. Eg a 2 BR ground floor unit will pay the same maintenance as a 2BR unit on the upper floor.
    Personally I do not like ground floor unit in a condo cos there is lack of privacy and sometimes naughty kids throw things at your house, or kick foot ball into your house. Also some ground floor units face the carpark and there is a problem of pollution.

Maintenance fee : depends on the share value. Normally, ground floor has slightly one share more at times, depend on how big is the PES.

one cent contribution.

1, dun buy ground floor unit of high rise block, sweeping every hour, and very dangerous to use, anything can drop to your PES anytime.
    2. make sure the ground floor unit is well covered
    3. choose one with the most privacy, including block to block distance
    4. preferably have some nice plants and ego ponds in front...that is beautiful.

I hv one unit like that...no sun throughout the year, and my tenant loves it so much for their little kid to run around. Quite a big PES

I saw this 388 Uber at Upper East Coast, PES is 600 sq ft, u will love it, and so ex

Agree on that concern. I intend to look for units a bit away from the noise and crowd like swimming pool and bbq pit.
    Was looking around for landed but house hunting is a challenge. Overpriced with run-down interiors.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Nope, ground floor units will pay the same amount as the units similar to them without the patio. Eg a 2 BR ground floor unit will pay the same maintenance as a 2BR unit on the upper floor.
    Personally I do not like ground floor unit in a condo cos there is lack of privacy and sometimes naughty kids throw things at your house, or kick foot ball into your house. Also some ground floor units face the carpark and there is a problem of pollution.

Ground floor units at 8cy are pretty nice....have gardens in front and at backyard....

Thanks. Do you think developments like shaughnessy is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Maintenance fee : depends on the share value. Normally, ground floor has slightly one share more at times, depend on how big is the PES.

one cent contribution.

1, dun buy ground floor unit of high rise block, sweeping every hour, and very dangerous to use, anything can drop to your PES anytime.

I hv one unit like that...no sun throughout the year, and my tenant loves it so much for their little kid to run around. Quite a big PES

I saw this 388 Uber at Upper East Coast, PES is 600 sq ft, u will love it, and so ex

one cent contribution.

Agree with you.
    Once a knife fell and landed on the balcony of the 1st floor at my development.
    So if you have a ground unit, it is very important for it to be well covered.

Covering of PES is a tricky one. One of my friend wanted to do it but the Condo Mgt oppose.

Agree with you.
    Once a knife fell and landed on the balcony of the 1st floor at my development.
    So if you have a ground unit, it is very important for it to be well covered.

my 1 cent.

When you open your refuse chute, you will get the full waft of the rubbish contributed by the whole column of your upstair neighbours living above you.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    my 1 cent.

When you open your refuse chute, you will get the full waft of the rubbish contributed by the whole column of your upstair neighbours living above you.
    Thanks for highlighting

the project shall hv basement carpark, and the rubbish chute is landed at the basement...this is important, dun buy ground floor unit and the rubbish all ended at ground floor...also just buy 5 story height, not so much rubbish

I like the idea of central rubbish chute outside the unit, like euhabitat...and loving ground floor with higher ceiling....and some units are like having their private pool outside the PES

Can consider cluster house or town house if you want security and facility. But not many good choices around.

If you like the additional open space, penthouse will be nice too.

Penthouse, I suppose will have a higher monthly maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yin Yin
    Can consider cluster house or town house if you want security and facility. But not many good choices around.

If you like the additional open space, penthouse will be nice too.

Penthouse, I suppose will have a higher monthly maintenance.
    Yup, but if the development is large, may be the same or slightly more.
    The feel of living in a penthouse or the highest floor can be euphoric especially if it is high floor and good facing!
    The extra is worth it.

Thats a good point to note. Cheers..Have to start my hunt soon.

Thanks for highlighting

the project shall hv basement carpark, and the rubbish chute is landed at the basement...this is important, dun buy ground floor unit and the rubbish all ended at ground floor...also just buy 5 story height, not so much rubbish

I like the idea of central rubbish chute outside the unit, like euhabitat...and loving ground floor with higher ceiling....and some units are like having their private pool outside the PES

Penthouse better than landed or unit with patio??

Yup, but if the development is large, may be the same or slightly more.
    The feel of living in a penthouse or the highest floor can be euphoric especially if it is high floor and good facing!
    The extra is worth it.

All things being equal...... don't talk about being practical in terms of cost...
    I like penthouse best, followed by landed, last is unit with patio.

My sister stays in a semi D. She mended her leaking roof recently for $20k.

Quote Originally Posted by victorchoo
    How many years has she been staying there?
    If you stay in a landed house, you should put aside some cash every month in anticipation of repairs.
    If you are in a condo you pay monthly maintenance hence don't feel the pinch.
    Eg if maintenance is $300 per month, one year it is $3600, 10 years it will be $36000.
    So if your sister has been staying in the semi d for more than 10 years, then the repairs are still cheaper than if she was staying in a condo.

It also depends on what type of landed. Small built up with limited land space in not so desirable location...I'd rather stay penthouse or patio unit.

Doesnt the ground floor condo units with pes have security issues? Other condo units' dubious maids or guests can easily climb in!

Quote Originally Posted by victorchoo
    Staying in condo will also have repairs to be made after staying for 10 years or more!

In my personal view, single storey penthouse is indeed better than landed or unit with patio. The biggest drawback is probably the fact that you own that piece of land for landed vs shared ownership for penthouse. Note the following advantages for single storey penthouse over landed.

1. No wasted space on staircases (same case for cluster houses and townhouses too).
    2. View can be splendid chosen wisely for penthouse.
    3. No headaches for most repairs (done by condo management) and will probably not have ceiling leaking problems (no one above you already). If staying in landed, you do every sxxt thing, from flooding in the backyard to cleaning the leaves in the front yard which is a chronic and persistent occurrence.
    4. Has security for all condos (already included in monthly maintenance fee) (and not talking about the lousy guards who reside in some development) while landed will have to pay a lot extra for security.
    5. For family with teenage kids, you will not have situations when you return and realised that you kids are actually at home but locked inside their upstairs room without making any noise.... (see too much of such family situations). Single storey will be a friendlier configuration for family togetherness (just a personal observation).
    6. Can enjoy the facilities available. Landed can also have personal swimming pool and gym room but that will require a much larger landed area which equates to higher cost.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Personally I do not like ground floor condos with patio. Pay for a space which is subjected to your neighbors' daily contributions. If its PES, it'll be better! Plus all the other disadvantages mentioned in earlier posts!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    In my personal view, single storey penthouse is indeed better than landed or unit with patio. The biggest drawback is probably the fact that you own that piece of land for landed vs shared ownership for penthouse. Note the following advantages for single storey penthouse over landed.

1. No wasted space on staircases (same case for cluster houses and townhouses too).
    3. No headaches for most repairs (done by condo management) and will probably not have ceiling leaking problems (no one above you already). If staying in landed, you do every sxxt thing, from flooding in the backyard to cleaning the leaves in the front yard which is a chronic and persistent occurrence.
    4. Has security for all condos (already included in monthly maintenance fee) (and not talking about the lousy guards who reside in some development) while landed will have to pay a lot extra for security.
    5. For family with teenage kids, you will not have situations when you return and realised that you kids are actually at home but locked inside their upstairs room without making any noise.... (see too much of such family situations). Single storey will be a friendlier configuration for family togetherness (just a personal observation).
    6. Can enjoy the facilities available. Landed can also have personal swimming pool and gym room but that will require a much larger landed area which equates to higher cost.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    I think, there are several issues associated with PH u might hv overlooked.

Most PH, come with big terrace, big balcony, with the GFA, all these are not covered. Very very hot, and bright. Most of my frn staying PHs suffering from this.

Dun presum no leak problem for PH, as the roof top expose to hot and cold more than any other floors...the leak problem is even worst...not to forget u have pump on top of the roof...

The rain water flash down from roof top will land in your terrace, balcony.

Most condo, dun allow windor grills, so the entire place need to be closed if u hv young kids

Thats a good point to note. Cheers..Have to start my hunt soon.
    I drove around Sg these 3 weeks and saw many many properties
    Most of the new launches come with ground floor PES
    some quoted very reasonable, but some are sky high

check more first before signing

I drove around Sg these 3 weeks and saw many many properties
    Most of the new launches come with ground floor PES
    some quoted very reasonable, but some are sky high

check more first before signing
    Luxurie ground flr units with own baby pool is nice with relatively low psf

However would expect litters in your pool

For patio units, it is either you love it or hate it. If you are an outdoor person and you have guests who enjoy outdoor having a cup of coffee or some drinks, then patio is a good place to unwind. Patio do give you a resort feel. However, if you are an indoor person who on the aircon once you stepped in the house, then patio is a place whereby you will hardly go and most likely ends up as a storage place. As in all cases, ground floor tends to be noisier and has less privacy. But in recent lauches, due to the close proximity of the neighbouring blocks, I think ground floor units will give better privacy and view, as compared to looking into your neighbours' rooms.

If you are concern about littering from upstairs, there are projects whereby there are ledges above that extend to cover the patios. These units are very well sought after. For such projects, never get the second floor units as you will get the "litter" view and is difficult to clean the ledges.

Furthermore, once you sell your condo, kiss goodbye to the money (sinking fund, in particular. )
    How many years has she been staying there?
    If you stay in a landed house, you should put aside some cash every month in anticipation of repairs.
    If you are in a condo you pay monthly maintenance hence don't feel the pinch.
    Eg if maintenance is $300 per month, one year it is $3600, 10 years it will be $36000.
    So if your sister has been staying in the semi d for more than 10 years, then the repairs are still cheaper than if she was staying in a condo.

Just to add to Laguna's post which may have some similarities. I thought penthouse do have problems like:

a. Since the single-storey penthouse is one storey. it will span across a few units below it. Owner will have to make good leakage of water into unit below that could be due to wear and tear. It is not from the management fund but own pocket.

b. Will have good view especially above 30 storeys but also get a lot more sun than a landed as it is exposed to the entire sky and no shading from nearby building. Unit will be really hot at night with the re-radiation from the heated wall.

c. Larger volume of air to be cooled down as it is normally higher ceiling.

d. Those with personal swimming pool can also add to the water leakage problem. Roof waterproofing membrane is usually guarantee for only 10 years. What happen if you are still staying there after 10 years and have all these water leakage problem.

There are lot more issues....

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap

Just my 2 cents worth.

The penthouse wont come cheap but its the shiok highrise lifestyle that is attractive.
    At the price of penthouse, can get landed but then very hard to find landed which is near amenities.
    There is a new development by UOL coming near Bedok reservoir, yet to be launched. low rise condo with reservoir view and near new MRT line. Looks interesting.