Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what to look for when renting landed property?

An advantage of staying in a landed property is that you do not need to fight over parking lot and walk a long distance before taking a lift to reach your home.
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    I've stayed in landed in the past with my parents. What I can say is whether landed, condo or HDB, it really depends on your neighbors which will make you like or hate your stay. Unfortunately, HDB will lose out coz the type of neighbors extents beyond just your block into other blocks and each block consists of up to 90 units so chances of finding an inconsiderate neighbor is much higher than when staying in landed or condo. I've also encountered staying in landed with selfish neighbors when my family car was issued a parking summon when some new neighbor complained about illegal parking when the past 10 years, everyone is doing it. Very different experience for different people...

Anyway, congrats on your new rented house. Enjoy it while you can and remember to be a nice neighbor.

If there was a way to have landed but none the mosquitoes that cone with it.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    With Vitamin M deficiency, better not get pregnant.
    Must not let Gahmen know this.., young couples say need to get flat/apartment then can start family, but who knows that now couples say becos properties prices going up, Vitamin M not enough to have babies after buying the flat/apartment..., KBW's fault again...

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    If there was a way to have landed but none the mosquitoes that cone with it.
    Depends lah...Mozzies problem can come from many factors eg. whether you or your neighbours are plants lovers, cleanliness of surroundings like drains, bins, shops/houses, etc. I have not experienced any major mozzies problem in my 2 landed houses. Non-landed also can experience mozzies / flies problems especially low floor apartments or those near chutes/bin centres, major drains, etc.

Depends on location. If those close to nature reserve can even get snakes too.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn
    Depends lah...Mozzies problem can come from many factors eg. whether you or your neighbours are plants lovers, cleanliness of surroundings like drains, bins, shops/houses, etc. I have not experienced any major mozzies problem in my 2 landed houses. Non-landed also can experience mozzies / flies problems especially low floor apartments or those near chutes/bin centres, major drains, etc.

If got snakes, means less rats to contend with ..

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Depends on location. If those close to nature reserve can even get snakes too.

it's indeed a hard time
    "Think and Act wisely" oak ny

Quote Originally Posted by oakweb
    it's indeed a hard time
    Huh....???

Wait till they come out from the toilet bowl like what happened around one of the bukit timah condos some years back.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    If got snakes, means less rats to contend with ..

Like I said, one less 'rat' to contend with.

Wait till they come out from the toilet bowl like what happened around one of the bukit timah condos some years back.

My problem is I seem to attract mosquitoes. It sucks.

Never had a problem with mozzies (touch wood). Bats and monkeys maybe but no mozzies

Even if you have no potted plants, but if you neighbour has... Sigh.

NEA fogs pretty regularly.... I think they are quite on the ball in preventing an outbreak of any sort.

An advantage of staying in a landed property is that you do not need to fight over parking lot and walk a long distance before taking a lift to reach your home.
    err.... if you stay in terrace house area with 1 parking lot, but everyone owns 3 cars... There's plenty of fighting.... chope with dustbin etc ...... not very pretty....

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    err.... if you stay in terrace house area with 1 parking lot, but everyone owns 3 cars... There's plenty of fighting.... chope with dustbin etc ...... not very pretty....
    Yah,,, that's true. There are many "chow kuan" fanilies that own 2-3 cars and but never park a single car in their own porch but all park outside.

Many of these inconsiderate landed owners make it inconvenient for the rest and jam up the streets.

No one dares to park outside as there is a thick white line on the road.

Tell everyone to cooperate or else, last resort suggest to URA to draw carpark lots outside the house......

Tell everyone to cooperate or else, last resort suggest to URA to draw carpark lots outside the house......
    Difficult lah.... it will end up like Everitt Road. Everybody one-upmanship.

Just pray that your neighbours are "zhi tong". You just need one "chow kuan" family to start the ball rolling. An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

Unless you stay in a GCB, landed owners will know that your neighbourliness will be severely tested during festive seasons eg CNY, Christmas, Hari Raya....etc.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Unless you stay in a GCB, landed owners will know that your neighbourliness will be severely tested during festive seasons eg CNY, Christmas, Hari Raya....etc.
    Reminds me of one house.
    When I was little, I stayed in a HDB flat overlooking Lucky Heights.
    One of the corner terraces was not usually occupied. Only during some weekends and the nights before public holidays, there will be big parties with loud music way up till 12 midnight.

Please tell me why is it so?

I am so apprehensive about staying in landed as I have stayed in flats and condos all my life.
    The reason why I bought the landed was because I saw my husband's face lighted up so brightly when he saw the place, and I wished I could buy the house for him. Since I can't buy it on my own for him, I supported his decision to buy it.
    I am cherishing every moment I have now in my present place.
    ???...so are u staying in landed now??

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    ???...so are u staying in landed now??
    No.... landed has not TOP yet.
    Still staying in condo.
    The present house i was referring to is my present condo.
    I am cherishing every moment i am staying here now as i am apprehensive about staying in landed in future.

Reminds me of one house.
    When I was little, I stayed in a HDB flat overlooking Lucky Heights.
    One of the corner terraces was not usually occupied. Only during some weekends and the nights before public holidays, there will be big parties with loud music way up till 12 midnight.
    Noisy parties test neighbourliness in all types of accomodation HDB, condos and landed alike.

But unique to landed is the parking situation.... can be quite bad in some new estates where terraces are packed in pretty tight, roads are narrow and house frontage is also not very wide.

As it is, most landed homes have 2 cars. If one car is parked in the porch and the other on the street the situation is already quite bad. But if owners choose to park both cars outside, there ain't gonna be enough space for everyone.....

put a cam looking outside your gate, those cars that park alongside the white line outside... heh heh. one day they'll fine an extra mail in their letterbox.

To sum it up my experience in landed is blissful cos for one...when i enter my house its via a gate not a lift so u DO not have to see faces that irritate you....in landed i am bugged by flies/mosquitoes/pests that can be controlled by sprays/repellants etc unlike in condo where i am surrounded by certain breed of humans that CANNOT be eradicated....i dont have to open my letter box and read some stupid paper informing me there is an upcoming agm and residents are reminded to attend cos there are some issues that need to be addressed like people putting their bicycles on staircases/dogs pooing all over the place/inconsiderate behaviour of guests at bbq pits...bla bla bla....yup i agree there are woes like parking problems/pests...etc but personally i feel as long as our good govt does not change the law and ONLY singaporeans can buy landed property i believe it will be the housing of choice cos whether its hdb/condo when u have tom/dicks and harrys living there it can be very messy ....but hey i might be wrong cos the place i am renting is about 4000sq foot....just off frankel my neighbours got more cars than people living in the house....in the daytime it seems only the maids and dogs are enjoying the houses.......whatever it is this landed rental experience is truely heavenly for me......hopefully for the next 1 year till my ta expires....

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Noisy parties test neighbourliness in all types of accomodation HDB, condos and landed alike.

But unique to landed is the parking situation.... can be quite bad in some new estates where terraces are packed in pretty tight, roads are narrow and house frontage is also not very wide.

As it is, most landed homes have 2 cars. If one car is parked in the porch and the other on the street the situation is already quite bad. But if owners choose to park both cars outside, there ain't gonna be enough space for everyone.....
    yup i realised that both me and my wife own a car....but the driveway can only fit one car so there is a bit of juggling to do but its pretty ok cos everyones doing it...

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    put a cam looking outside your gate, those cars that park alongside the white line outside... heh heh. one day they'll fine an extra mail in their letterbox.
    he he today morning i saw the lta dude...riding by on his bike....i waved at him....

there use to be a lot of lorries park along a white line road in a nearby estate. one fine day, i noticed one of the landed owners install a cam along the wall of his house facing that road. ever since then, no more lorries ever parked along that road. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    To sum it up my experience in landed is blissful cos for one...when i enter my house its via a gate not a lift so u DO not have to see faces that irritate you....in landed i am bugged by flies/mosquitoes/pests that can be controlled by sprays/repellants etc unlike in condo where i am surrounded by certain breed of humans that CANNOT be eradicated....i dont have to open my letter box and read some stupid paper informing me there is an upcoming agm and residents are reminded to attend cos there are some issues that need to be addressed like people putting their bicycles on staircases/dogs pooing all over the place/inconsiderate behaviour of guests at bbq pits...bla bla bla....yup i agree there are woes like parking problems/pests...etc but personally i feel as long as our good govt does not change the law and ONLY singaporeans can buy landed property i believe it will be the housing of choice cos whether its hdb/condo when u have tom/dicks and harrys living there it can be very messy ....but hey i might be wrong cos the place i am renting is about 4000sq foot....just off frankel my neighbours got more cars than people living in the house....in the daytime it seems only the maids and dogs are enjoying the houses.......whatever it is this landed rental experience is truely heavenly for me......hopefully for the next 1 year till my ta expires....
    Yah... there is landed and there is landed. Frankel area IMHO is considered premium landed... at least in the East to Upper East. The gems are in Dunbar, Coldstream and ALL the houses around Greenfield Drive. To think the semi-dis there used to cost less than $1.5m post '97...

No.... landed has not TOP yet.
    Still staying in condo.
    The present house i was referring to is my present condo.
    I am cherishing every moment i am staying here now as i am apprehensive about staying in landed in future.
    well in life u got to try everything...to complete the cycle hdb>>condo>>landed....

in some ways i miss the facilities and security of my ex condo...and the warmth and neighbourliness of my ex hdb...but the feeling of my maid opening the gate for me to drive my car into the driveway and my kids coming out to see me when i open the door......its great...but NOT great enough for me to PLONK 2 to 3 million on a house......well thats how i feel...my 2