Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Couples of friends are looking into Malaysia, JB, KL and Penang

any view to share?
    project, outlook, growth etc ete

http://www.iproperty.com.my/property..._House_ForSale

Default SuperPenthouse in JB - Cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan Loh
    is that for real? 3526sqm

Villa at bintan by KOP? Heard S$400k and use their luxury yacht from tanah merah..

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11
    Villa at bintan by KOP? Heard S$400k and use their luxury yacht from tanah merah..
    This is at Batam
    http://www.kopgroup.com/montigoresorts.html

I think u hv to pay around $100 or more for the use of the luxury yacht.
    The KOP property in Batam, my view :

1. Poor design : the view will be blocked by those villa in front of u, unless u buy the first row of villa with unblocked seafacing.

2. the Nonsa Marina Point is doing so badly, so u can foresee, what sort of holiday makers will rent this place. Perhaps around $600 a nite.

3. not practical layout. eg, the staircase is exposed to weather, and it will be completely wet when rain. Also, the roof top is not with glass pane, so when u sit down, ur just see the concrete wall rather than the seaview.

4. over-priced
    Last edited by Laguna; 05-11-11 at 09:02.

Default 3526 SQFT

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    is that for real? 3526sqm

This should be 3526 in sqft

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Couples of friends are looking into Malaysia, JB, KL and Penang

any view to share?
    project, outlook, growth etc ete
    I thought you are into Penang? Recession or stagflation should hit Penang hard, since its economic pillars are high end electronics and semi-conductors in consumer goods. KL and JB are more promising. I prefer JB for its proximity to Singaporean investors and retirees. Having said that, Singapore's own property market seems to be on knife edge next year, and Malaysia developers are known to abandon projects halfway when times are not good and run off with $.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    I thought you are into Penang? Recession or stagflation should hit Penang hard, since its economic pillars are high end electronics and semi-conductors in consumer goods. KL and JB are more promising. I prefer JB for its proximity to Singaporean investors and retirees. Having said that, Singapore's own property market seems to be on knife edge next year, and Malaysia developers are known to abandon projects halfway when times are not good and run off with $.

Agree on the developer side, have to choose very carefully for Malaysian properties.
    Try not to go with smaller or lesser-known developers especially if the project is still not completed.
    The bigger boys or GLCs should be relatively better - SP Setia, UEM, Gamuda, IOI, Mah Sing, etc.

I'm still bullish on JB for investments due to the strong S$ and strong interests from Singaporeans and SPRs (Malaysians and others) due to proximity, familiarity and convenience...

No comments on KL and Penang as not familiar...

Am also casting an eye at Melaka as it is an interesting place and you will be surprised how many visitors it can attract since achieving UNESCO status a few years back (especially weekends). When you log in internet, it seems to get a lot of hits for visitors too and when one speaks to a foreigner (be it European, American or Asian) about places of interests in Malaysia, it is invariably one of the few places mentioned - KL, Penang, Langkawi and... Melaka!

My outlook is neutral for JB and KL, and slightly negative for Singapore.

I like Malaysia for the low population density. Singapore's population density is actually much higher than the official data, if you take away the water catchment areas, military zones and the inaccessible islands.

Safety is an important consideration when investing in overseas properties. I suspect in terms of safety, KL and Penang should be relatively safer than JB. Just an impression after walking the streets of both KL and JB.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Safety is an important consideration when investing in overseas properties. I suspect in terms of safety, KL and Penang should be relatively safer than JB. Just an impression after walking the streets of both KL and JB.
    Singapore is not that safe either. Social stability is eroding. It will get worse in the next few years. I hope myself or my family members are not in the receiving end

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap

Forget about the "old" JB, those parts around Holiday Plaza, Sentosa, etc... too old and too many things not to be desired.

Go for the "new" JB that is being built literally from scratch, the new NUSAJAYA, ie those areas around Bukit Indah, East Ledang, Horizon Hills, Puteri Harbor, etc where you can really find much better quality of life, good food and relatively lower crime... caveat low crime =xx= no crime!

A lot of transformation taking place there everyday and every couple of weeks/month you hear something new announced - this place is seriously changing for the better!

Do you think Singapore will be worst than Malaysia in the next 5 years?
    Singapore is not that safe either. Social stability is eroding. It will get worse in the next few years. I hope myself or my family members are not in the receiving end

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Do you think Singapore will be worst than Malaysia in the next 5 years?
    I believe Malaysia will close the gap with Singapore. Singapore could be a place that only favors the rich and connected.

Yup... Low crime doesn't mean no crime!

Question is how many generations? It is better for them to be hehind S'pore. This applies to the immediate region too.
    I believe Malaysia will close the gap with Singapore. Singapore could be a place that only favors the rich and connected.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

You highlight a very important point when it comes to investing in big countries like Malaysia:

In another 10 years to 20 years, there will be another "newer JB", which fulfills:
    "A lot of transformation taking place there everyday and every couple of weeks/month you hear something new announced - this place is seriously changing for the better!"

As such, before you even invest in a single property, especially those overseas, better go there for at least a month, walk around everyday or frequently, check their history for past 30 years and know how they evolves. The properties that you purchase in for example Nusajaya will be obsolete, their new city centre shifted to another new place again!
    Properties in such places have no long term holding value!
    On the other hand, in Singapore, land is limited, thus established central area will remain as central area in the past, now, and in the future! The central area will keep going through upgrading and rejuvenation and will still remains (and hence the worth of your properties and your investments)!

Quote Originally Posted by TKT
    Forget about the "old" JB, those parts around Holiday Plaza, Sentosa, etc... too old and too many things not to be desired.

Go for the "new" JB that is being built literally from scratch, the new NUSAJAYA, ie those areas around Bukit Indah, East Ledang, Horizon Hills, Puteri Harbor, etc where you can really find much better quality of life, good food and relatively lower crime... caveat low crime =xx= no crime!

A lot of transformation taking place there everyday and every couple of weeks/month you hear something new announced - this place is seriously changing for the better!

for JB, location like Perling has seen prices going north for residential. it costs about 340k for a semi d 2 sty type. now going at around 420k n you cannot find many selling. generally prices for shophouses have been running north as well. relatives said this in part was caused by the singapore investors n that ppty prices have not been moving for many years.

the construction cost has increased and developers are not pricing their new development low.

caution that no matter how, there are still plenty of empty land to build houses...and there is a serious mismatch of salary vs ppty. a indoor sale man is getting around RM900 per month and RM50 cannot get you many things as the cost of living is high in JB. engineers maybe RM4k a month. PE RM8K on average. so perhaps u cannot make alot in yr JB investment.

I only hear that prices are moving in the last 12 months perhaps still have some room to run especially with the announcement of the railway link.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    for JB, location like Perling has seen prices going north for residential. it costs about 340k for a semi d 2 sty type. now going at around 420k n you cannot find many selling. generally prices for shophouses have been running north as well. relatives said this in part was caused by the singapore investors n that ppty prices have not been moving for many years.

the construction cost has increased and developers are not pricing their new development low.

caution that no matter how, there are still plenty of empty land to build houses...and there is a serious mismatch of salary vs ppty. a indoor sale man is getting around RM900 per month and RM50 cannot get you many things as the cost of living is high in JB. engineers maybe RM4k a month. PE RM8K on average. so perhaps u cannot make alot in yr JB investment.

I only hear that prices are moving in the last 12 months perhaps still have some room to run especially with the announcement of the railway link.
    It is this brewing bubble that is dangerous, because its source comes mainly from Singaporeans, and Singapore economy won't be good in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    You highlight a very important point when it comes to investing in big countries like Malaysia:

In another 10 years to 20 years, there will be another "newer JB", which fulfills:
    "A lot of transformation taking place there everyday and every couple of weeks/month you hear something new announced - this place is seriously changing for the better!"

As such, before you even invest in a single property, especially those overseas, better go there for at least a month, walk around everyday or frequently, check their history for past 30 years and know how they evolves. The properties that you purchase in for example Nusajaya will be obsolete, their new city centre shifted to another new place again!
    Properties in such places have no long term holding value!
    On the other hand, in Singapore, land is limited, thus established central area will remain as central area in the past, now, and in the future! The central area will keep going through upgrading and rejuvenation and will still remains (and hence the worth of your properties and your investments)!

If you look carefully at the map for the massive Iskandar project, which is a project that will take some 15-20-30 years to complete, you may well be lost as the total land size is some 3 times of Singapore itself.

However, if you drill it down, the most important and iconic structures are clearly and deliberately centred around Nusajaya (at a more "manageable" one-eighth size of Singapore). Nusajaya is right in the middle between the two bridges, just right across from pond and soon, there will be a direct CIQ there as well for yatching and marine lovers.
    Again, its all about location, location, location!

Do some homework and you will clearly see how much capital being poured into this particular area since the past few years and the years to come. I'm just going along with part of my investments where the money seems to be going these days...

Agree that Johor is big and newer centres will inevitably crop up but thats simply progress... its like saying an established Shenton Way vs a new Jurong...

Just my due vested...

Couple of informational videos starring an expert sharing his views/insights on Malaysian ppty...
    Check it out !...

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/real-estate-video/705
    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/real-estate-video/706
    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/real-estate-video/707

PR best, once mrt to JB is up don't be surprised they rent out their HDB here & reside in semi D over in JB & still drawing SGD salary.

It is this brewing bubble that is dangerous, because its source comes mainly from Singaporeans, and Singapore economy won't be good in the next few years.
    I know the shop houses fry high high now esp for those in better location. my aunty have a few shop houses there n with the current run up prices, they are not sure if it is substainable but there again, she is happy to see it as she got them cheap.

20 yrs ago she bou in the range of 200k to 400k near to tmn uni. now can rent out 5k. market selling price maybe 1m or more. she was caught once in 1997 but now all fully paid and she is semi retired.

some singaporeans may still prefer to buy JB property cos it is much cheaper n holding cost is not expensive but important thing is must know the place well and find the right ppty else end up throwing money into the longang.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonjai
    PR best, once mrt to JB is up don't be surprised they rent out their HDB here & reside in semi D over in JB & still drawing SGD salary.
    I dont see that to be happening.. it is still time consuming. more like they prefer to reside in Woodlands and travel infrequently to JB.

maybe woodlands will be the next hot spot for business and education.

FEO agent told me some of the townhouses are bou by Malaysians and Koreans (cos of american school)

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

In a big countries like Malaysia where land is so much more abundant than people, it is so much cheaper to do massive building in a new place and so the city centre will have shifted to the new place, rather than to refurnish & rejuvenate. Hence, this has happened in JB and other major town centres in Johor more than once and I expect this to happen again. I have lived long enough and have deep connection to Malaysia to know what I am talking about. I stand by my prediction.

Feel free to invest in JB if you like and if you have a lot of spare cash to throw into the drain but you are now be-warned (especially to all other novice investors here)....

Quote Originally Posted by TKT
    If you look carefully at the map for the massive Iskandar project, which is a project that will take some 15-20-30 years to complete, you may well be lost as the total land size is some 3 times of Singapore itself.

However, if you drill it down, the most important and iconic structures are clearly and deliberately centred around Nusajaya (at a more "manageable" one-eighth size of Singapore). Nusajaya is right in the middle between the two bridges, just right across from pond and soon, there will be a direct CIQ there as well for yatching and marine lovers.
    Again, its all about location, location, location!

Do some homework and you will clearly see how much capital being poured into this particular area since the past few years and the years to come. I'm just going along with part of my investments where the money seems to be going these days...

Agree that Johor is big and newer centres will inevitably crop up but thats simply progress... its like saying an established Shenton Way vs a new Jurong...

Just my due vested...

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

I know the shop houses fry high high now esp for those in better location. my aunty have a few shop houses there n with the current run up prices, they are not sure if it is substainable but there again, she is happy to see it as she got them cheap.

20 yrs ago she bou in the range of 200k to 400k near to tmn uni. now can rent out 5k. market selling price maybe 1m or more. she was caught once in 1997 but now all fully paid and she is semi retired.

some singaporeans may still prefer to buy JB property cos it is much cheaper n holding cost is not expensive but important thing is must know the place well and find the right ppty else end up throwing money into the longang.
    Could foreigner own commercial properties (shop house or retail space) there? need any special permit?
    If i want to invest in M'sia, it will be retail space/shop houses, and not residential, industrial or office.

I dont see that to be happening.. it is still time consuming. more like they prefer to reside in Woodlands and travel infrequently to JB.
    my PR cousin is doing it already, bought a resale hdb rented out, a yr back bought resale EC also rented. Works in woodlands & stays in JB, his JB house is as gd as FOC. Unfair right?
    Lots of JB kids commute daily in/out of Sg by sch bus to study so i guess they already used to it, if mrt link is up lagi convenient for them.