Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2712172227282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    buying shoes box within city or city fringe still OK.

buying shoes box in neighbourhood areas or even punggol is not recommend unless for own stay.
    Yes, agree, that is the general belief as high earners who rent shoeboxes generally work in cbd and want to live as near there as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    Yes, agree, that is the general belief as high earners who rent shoeboxes generally work in cbd and want to live as near there as possible.
    yes....the place i bought..6 minutes walk to Aljunied....take train to City Hall, about 10 minutes can reach....

nvm about the whore and the foreign worker from south asia....

As i m currently working in construction line, i can always c south asian workers on construction site...so their presence will not bother me much...

btw just like to get some opinions, realized that sims urban oasis its loft unit does not seem to be selling. Is there any particular reason to this given that its 1 beded seems to be selling much better.

And generally would it be a good idea to buy a 1 beded unit from sims urban oasis in terms of rental given that its not very far from many other 1 beded units in the geylang area?

Quote Originally Posted by cym View Post
    btw just like to get some opinions, realized that sims urban oasis its loft unit does not seem to be selling. Is there any particular reason to this given that its 1 beded seems to be selling much better.

And generally would it be a good idea to buy a 1 beded unit from sims urban oasis in terms of rental given that its not very far from many other 1 beded units in the geylang area?

this is a 99 year leasehold, meaning it's alot closer to the MRT than most.

can buy.

99 year and freehold doesn't make a difference in sg...

it's just BS-talk from real agents on the difference between them, the only significant difference is that for 99 yr, the last 20 years? you can't get a loan from the bank... but you probably won't see a pty that is 70-80 years old in sg without getting enbloc...

Quote Originally Posted by meow123 View Post
    this is a 99 year leasehold, meaning it's alot closer to the MRT than most.

can buy.

99 year and freehold doesn't make a difference in sg...

it's just BS-talk from real agents on the difference between them, the only significant difference is that for 99 yr, the last 20 years? you can't get a loan from the bank... but you probably won't see a pty that is 70-80 years old in sg without getting enbloc...
    Hi meow123, thanks for the the advice.
    I am thinking of buying 1 beded at sims urban oasis but think most of the norm 1 beded has been sold only left the more pricy high floor or the stack that is facing the expressway.

was considering the 1 beded loft but think the sale was not good.
    not sure if its due to its height of 3.3m considered low for loft, in the show flat the bed is on the loft however its not high enough to stand up fully on the loft.
    also there is no wall separating the bedroom loft from the living room.

my friend just bought 1 beded loft on 5th floor facing the side of the pool, 43 sqm for 700 k.
    as im focusing more on rental, not sure if its a good idea for me to get similar loft unit, or i could get better options elsewhere for similar amt?

any advice on this ?

i think the loft u r talking are 'fake' loft. its actually supported by a platform?

loft projects like 1 loft and 1 suites are actual two storeys unit. if you dont mind, u can consider 1 suites but its at lor 20 beside the hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    i think the loft u r talking are 'fake' loft. its actually supported by a platform?

loft projects like 1 loft and 1 suites are actual two storeys unit. if you dont mind, u can consider 1 suites but its at lor 20 beside the hotels.

its actually just a 5 sqm meta platform for putting of bed or other stuff depending. the platform is 2m high from the floor.

so likely this type of unit may not be a good , in terms of rental?
    as so far think only a handful has been sold only.

Default hi cym, these are my thoughts.

hi cym,

Not sure if you agree with me on this perspective, buying property is like a sprint, esp for units from new projects.
    If the lower priced 1BR are gone, where the leftovers are higher-floors / bigger spaces / extremely poor facing, etc ... I would consider another project.

Since your purpose is for rental, what you like to consider is low capital layout.
    Get the cheapest unit, so that you don't have to bear so much loan ( I assume you are like most of us, who doesn't buy on full cash ).

how about considering other developments in the geylang region, even though that are located in the red-light district region?
    I think paying for a less than 500 sq ft @ 700k dollars is quite expensive, but you are paying for the premium for being so near the MRT.

If I were you, I would consider a pty investment of 600k and below.
    Is this your first pty or?

Hi Everyone,

Would like to revive this dicussion on Geylang properties. I recently invested in a 2BR unit in the ODD lorong's of Geylang(Nearer to Kallang). Found some good pointers in this thread, what are some of the things you look out for when you're securing your tenant's in geylang?

Quote Originally Posted by wealthcore View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Would like to revive this dicussion on Geylang properties. I recently invested in a 2BR unit in the ODD lorong's of Geylang(Nearer to Kallang). Found some good pointers in this thread, what are some of the things you look out for when you're securing your tenant's in geylang?

With Geylang Rezone from lorong 4 to 22, my feel is rental just outside geylang will have a spill over effect. After all, Geylang has the best rental yield in the whole of Singapore. Some of the new condos there you can explore include
    - 33 Residences
    - Rezi 24
    - Arena Residences

Geylang in District 14 where current works of its expansion and metropolitan development surely heightens its presence not just amongst locals but also from foreign investors.

The 2014 Master Plan of Urban Redevelopment Authority, although consisting of a series of development works, also includes an underground river facility from the Kallang River area towards the lively Central Business District. Entertainment venues, dining facilities and retail shops will be incorporated at its huge improvisation, which comes after the successful creation of Gardens by the Bay.

The once known red light district of Geylang, is now well supported with high end community facilities which blends accordingly to the urban city lifestyle of its residents .

Read More on the rezone: https://www.propertyreview.sg/geylan...orong-4-to-22/

Have a district 14 property in Smart Suites. Wondering if I should sell to get back absd of $88k cause I bought another 3 bedder. But won't best cpf returns if I sell now.

Have a district 14 property in Smart Suites. Wondering if I should sell to get back absd of $88k cause I bought another 3 bedder. But won't best cpf returns if I sell now.
    Do you mean sell the Smart Suites unit then buy another 3 bedder to avoid ABSD of 88K?
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Do you mean sell the Smart Suites unit then buy another 3 bedder to avoid ABSD of 88K?
    We already bought and paid the ABSD.

We already bought and paid the ABSD.
    Not so easy to claim back though (if you meant remission) because you need to prove both were used as matrimonial homes as far as I know.

If seems intended for rent or have other properties, I don’t think can claim back ABSD.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Did anyone advise you on this?

No...

In that case, will not sell then as offer too low. Only S$648k. Or sl above S$1400 psf. PPR one mrt stop away more than S$2000psf and only leasehold while mine is freehold. Most of my neighbours with my size asking for S$800k.
    Last edited by mummy; 01-10-18 at 13:44.

In that case, will not sell then as offer too low. Only S$648k. Or sl above S$1400 psf. PPR one mrt stop away more than S$2000psf and only leasehold while mine is freehold. Most of my neighbours with my size asking for S$800k.
    The wise decision is not to sell. If need money, do equity term loan. Really used all means and still not enough then sell.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

This is one of the options.

There are other options depends on the individual, if only one size can fit all life will be so simple.

Now he up to S$658k but I dunno how to calculate if made profit or not.

Rental income $90600

ABSD remission S$88k.

Loan S$341k.

Bought at S$636801.

Can anyone help me to calculate?

Now he up to S$658k but I dunno how to calculate if made profit or not.

Rental income $90600

ABSD remission S$88k.

Loan S$341k.

Bought at S$636801.

Can anyone help me to calculate?
    Not enough info, can use my xls to calculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Not enough info, can use my xls to calculate.
    Sold already last night. Don't make much. Same or less than cpf. Just get back absd. Should have sold this before selling my primary residence then can beat cpf....sigh....

Sold already last night. Don't make much. Same or less than cpf. Just get back absd. Should have sold this before selling my primary residence then can beat cpf....sigh....
    Congrats, now you can retire.

Must plan a little lah, sis... Why buy so suddenly? Something that compelling?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Must plan a little lah, sis... Why buy so suddenly? Something that compelling?
    That time property prices kept going up and reports keep saying it will rise...and hubby didn't like renting...

That time property prices kept going up and reports keep saying it will rise...and hubby didn't like renting...
    A bit confusing, you sell every property than rent?

No, I sold my terrace then rented a condo to stay. Then buy another condo to stay that is why got absd.

No, I sold my terrace then rented a condo to stay. Then buy another condo to stay that is why got absd.
    Sell one, rent one, buy one why got ABSD

Sigh... i thought property would surely make money?
    Better to leave money in CPF and earn 2.5% interest.
    buy good US shares e.g. Apple shares, more easy to make money, lower capital outlay, lower opportunity costs and most importantly, lower transaction costs e.g. $15 per trade vs $20k agent fees when sell $1mio property, $30k taxes on buyer's stamp duty.
    i ask myself, at 1,7xx psf for 6xx sq ft condo, where's the margin of safety? can you even make at least 10k net of transaction costs, interest costs after 4 yrs to TOP? not to mention property taxes.. interest rates are at 4 yr high and continue to climb. Paying 10% more for new launch is painful... why pay high prices for a unit in a 1,400 unit/1,200 unit development?

and please don't tell me about swiber shares/bonds, these are debt-laden companies.

Default Re: Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

any thoughts about a small development (less than 20 units) FH apartment (no facilities other than car park) near lorong 7 and kallang MRT ...going for $850+psf ....able to convert into dual key

one for my own stay one to rent out