Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NS PEC B vs PEC C

Default NS PEC B vs PEC C

My son is going to the army Jan 31, 2012. He was rated PEC B1 in May. But the doctor says he is indeed PEC C now.
    Should he request for a downgrade now? What is the impact for his scholarship application or NUS Medicine admission?

I personally would prefer him to do some exercises and improve his health to a true B1/B2.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. I have served the Chinese army for 4 years, so roughly know what army is like, but no exposure to Singapore army.

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    My son is going to the army Jan 31, 2012. He was rated PEC B1 in May. But the doctor says he is indeed PEC C now.
    Should he request for a downgrade now? What is the impact for his scholarship application or NUS Medicine admission?

I personally would prefer him to do some exercises and improve his health to a true B1/B2.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. I have served the Chinese army for 4 years, so roughly know what army is like, but no exposure to Singapore army.
    chinese army no reservist rite?
    should downgrade to exempt NS if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    chinese army no reservist rite?
    should downgrade to exempt NS if possible.
    No real stigma towards downgraded army personnel generally in SG unless you intend to feed off government rice bowl in future. In fact to most employers if you dont have reservist even better. No need to pay you to disappear from work every once or two years for weeks...

Default Chinese Army

There is no mandatory NS in China. But there is army in China.
    Indeed you need to pass a lot of tests to get into army.
    In US, WestPoint is also not easy to get into.

In Singapore, I believe even you are PEC C, you still need to go back for reservist.

I am also told if you want to apply for scholarship or get into NUS Med, it is best to be PEC B. Maybe I should ask

http://www.kiasuparents.com/

Thanks,
    Richard

Default no reservist in china

True, there is no reservist in China. Once you are "retired" from army, they will not bother you any more.

Still every year on Aug 1, they will send fruits and posters to my parents to thank them sending their son to the army.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. Aug 1 is the Chinese Army Anniversary Day.

Default Call for Professional NS trainers

I just heard the rule says NS men cannot be punished for more than 20 push-ups at one go.
    But the officer started with -50. So the poor guy will need to do 70.
    I didn't have such ridiculous officer when I serve the Chinese army. As I mentioned before, they are all mature professionals who were 10 years older than I was.
    Should Singapore Army officers become professionally trained by West Point?

Thanks,
    Richard

I just heard the rule says NS men cannot be punished for more than 20 push-ups at one go.
    But the officer started with -50. So the poor guy will need to do 70.
    I didn't have such ridiculous officer when I serve the Chinese army. As I mentioned before, they are all mature professionals who were 10 years older than I was.
    Should Singapore Army officers become professionally trained by West Point?

Thanks,
    Richard
    Haha ... I like the -50.... This is called smart thinking and think out of the box. Happy to know our army officers still have that quality of mind...

In the past, my PTI nicknamed the Monkey from Nee Soon camp, make us round tower to tower by just saying 2353535....or 7484848 which are pizza delivery hotlines. Lucky that time phone number does not start with 6 yet else two more trips to run....

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    In the past, my PTI nicknamed the Monkey from Nee Soon camp, make us round tower to tower by just saying 2353535....or 7484848 which are pizza delivery hotlines. Lucky that time phone number does not start with 6 yet else two more trips to run....
    Yes heard about him during my time too. Guess you must be born in the year of '74-'76?

Quote Originally Posted by Antz621
    Yes heard about him during my time too. Guess you must be born in the year of '74-'76?
    Quite obvious from my nick ya... ;-) and oh I remember fully now its Monkey God not just monkey...

Default 9 out of 10 says NO if NS were a choice

http://www.ns.sg/nsPortal/appmanager...nsPortal_forum

The Singapore army is a lot more challenging. When you have 9 out of 10 says NO, how to win the battle?

But if we make NS a choice, our arm force will be reduced to just 10%.
    Can we defend Singapore using 10% of the professional males? That is about 2000+ per year. Even if they sign on for 5 years, that is only 10,000+ arm force. Very, very difficult.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. I am starting to put S$1K per month in my son's bank account. He believes this is the min for NS men. I cannot change the national policy, so I can only change the family policy.

Haha ... I like the -50.... This is called smart thinking and think out of the box. Happy to know our army officers still have that quality of mind...

Monkey was my PTI too... Lol! I also kana the 2353535 but also holding the silly dummy rifle which was heavier than the real rifle on an extended arm... wah... my arm nearly dropped... I learnt the trick then was not to be so fast and be the first to return coz when you return, you just go into push up position, waiting for the others to return. Just be the 2nd last to return... Lol!

There is no mandatory NS in China. But there is army in China.
    Indeed you need to pass a lot of tests to get into army.
    In US, WestPoint is also not easy to get into.

In Singapore, I believe even you are PEC C, you still need to go back for reservist.

I am also told if you want to apply for scholarship or get into NUS Med, it is best to be PEC B. Maybe I should ask

http://www.kiasuparents.com/

Thanks,
    Richard
    Not all pes C need to return lah... only those with appointment such as CQ or something. The rest just stay at home to sleep!

http://www.ns.sg/nsPortal/appmanager...nsPortal_forum

The Singapore army is a lot more challenging. When you have 9 out of 10 says NO, how to win the battle?

But if we make NS a choice, our arm force will be reduced to just 10%.
    Can we defend Singapore using 10% of the professional males? That is about 2000+ per year. Even if they sign on for 5 years, that is only 10,000+ arm force. Very, very difficult.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. I am starting to put S$1K per month in my son's bank account. He believes this is the min for NS men. I cannot change the national policy, so I can only change the family policy.
    Why are u putting money in your son's bank account? Army will pay him good money lah... I only got like $1xx a month. Now easily get enough to go out and eat like a king le and still have spare cash to take gf out for a movie...

Default S$420

I believe army only pays something like S$420 per month. This is much less than a cleaner.

In China, army man is paid double for comparable job of civil. So I was "richer" than my gf's father when I was in army.

Thanks,
    Richard

Default PEC C

My friend is PEC C, he is called back for reservist. His job - secret.
    I guess something like a call center.
    My wife's friend, PEC C. His job - another secret. I guess something like carrying dead body.

Thanks,
    Richard

the army is not "paying" per se. $420 is an ALLOWANCE for pple who do not sign on. if ur son signs on for 4 years like u did in china, then u can be sure it will pay him well.

the male forumers here mostly got $1xx or $2xx for our allowance so $420 is A LOT! free lodging and food provided nowadays is a lot more higher quality than our days too.

I believe army only pays something like S$420 per month. This is much less than a cleaner.

In China, army man is paid double for comparable job of civil. So I was "richer" than my gf's father when I was in army.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    the army is not "paying" per se. $420 is an ALLOWANCE for pple who do not sign on. if ur son signs on for 4 years like u did in china, then u can be sure it will pay him well.

the male forumers here mostly got $1xx or $2xx for our allowance so $420 is A LOT! free lodging and food provided nowadays is a lot more higher quality than our days too.
    Yes... I understand that a sign on regular will have a minimum rank of a sergeant and the pay is like close to $2k in the 90s. Now maybe about $3k. That is good money for these people who chose to sign on and so skip university education and that is good money for these people. Yes army pays well. There's also free food and lodging.

for FOOD, more so now than the shxx we ate in those days!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Yes... I understand that a sign on regular will have a minimum rank of a sergeant and the pay is like close to $2k in the 90s. Now maybe about $3k. That is good money for these people who chose to sign on and so skip university education and that is good money for these people. Yes army pays well. There's also free food and lodging.

Lol... yes yes... I recalled last time there was only one way to cook meat, i.e. with curry then all food taste exactly the same. Can't tell if its chicken, mutton or beef... Lol... all curry taste... Those were the days...

My friend is PEC C, he is called back for reservist. His job - secret.
    I guess something like a call center.
    My wife's friend, PEC C. His job - another secret. I guess something like carrying dead body.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PEC?
    I tot it is PES?
    So richwang, which PES is your son in?
    I don't think it will affect his chances of getting scholarship or admission into med fac.
    But there again, we live in a different world now, with things being so competitive.
    I have got friends getting scholarships and getting into med fac despite the fact they were in PES C.
    But for med fac in NUS , i think if PES C then cannot defer.

I miss the huge chicken drumstick though!!!!!! Slurppppppp

And the night snack pao..... Mmmmm

drumstick quite rare in my batallion leh. can't remember is it once a month or maybe once a week but felt like once a month?

nowadays prob better tasting drumstick and more frequent lah.

drumstick quite rare in my batallion leh. can't remember is it once a month or maybe once a week but felt like once a month?

nowadays prob better tasting drumstick and more frequent lah.
    My time was still cook house. Just one day before i ORD SFI took over. $)(;:&@#%!!!

My time was still cook house. Just one day before i ORD SFI took over. $)(;:&@#%!!!
    Don't when SFI took over but my 1st reservist was fully SFI... must still take token and put into the container to indicate the number of soldiers who ate at the cook house... Lol! But yes, think its right after my ORD too... Lol!

Don't like night snack coz if got night snack, means got night training... I prefer to zzz in bunk. And yes the chicken drumstick is really huge....

Default PES B

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    PEC?
    I tot it is PES?
    So richwang, which PES is your son in?
    I don't think it will affect his chances of getting scholarship or admission into med fac.
    But there again, we live in a different world now, with things being so competitive.
    I have got friends getting scholarships and getting into med fac despite the fact they were in PES C.
    But for med fac in NUS , i think if PES C then cannot defer.
    My appoligies, it should PES. My son is PES B. But both private and government doctors think he should be PES C. Army doctor is more strict.

I've just got a letter from the govement doctor today suggesting SAF MO to give him some time to apply medicine.

But you know army is army. Unlikely they will care about all these details.
    Fingers crosses for the first 2 weeks. Doctors say he will 100% result into downgrade to PES C.

Thanks,
    Richard

My appoligies, it should PES. My son is PES B. But both private and government doctors think he should be PES C. Army doctor is more strict.

I've just got a letter from the govement doctor today suggesting SAF MO to give him some time to apply medicine.

But you know army is army. Unlikely they will care about all these details.
    Fingers crosses for the first 2 weeks. Doctors say he will 100% result into downgrade to PES C.

Thanks,
    Richard
    You are quite confused... at first hoped that your son will be PES B so he can keep fit and now you hope fingers crossed, etc that he'll be downgraded? The best option is to go through NS as combat fit so he can get all the training to keep fit plus can brag in front of his girlfriend next time. Downgrade only during Reservist coz NS cannot escape but Reservist can escape de so make the full use of NS as combat fit while Reservist just be PES C. No govt personnel around right?

...i missed cook house's french toast ...not even ya kun can come close

glad that i'd gone through ns

Default From A to C

I have two friends who were PES A when doing NS. But they managed to downgrade to PES C now. Anywhere, it is impossible to manage a troop where 9 out 10 would rather not to do it.

As for my son, my view is: if he can be trained as PES B, that's great. He has some genetic related skin condition not suitable for heat, dust, etc.
    Within the 1st two weeks, we will know whether he will need to be downgraded.

My son himself insists to remain in PES B. My worry is he might over stretch himself. Anyway, by mid-Feb we will know.

Thanks,
    Richard

I have two friends who were PES A when doing NS. But they managed to downgrade to PES C now. Anywhere, it is impossible to manage a troop where 9 out 10 would rather not to do it.

As for my son, my view is: if he can be trained as PES B, that's great. He has some genetic related skin condition not suitable for heat, dust, etc.
    Within the 1st two weeks, we will know whether he will need to be downgraded.

My son himself insists to remain in PES B. My worry is he might over stretch himself. Anyway, by mid-Feb we will know.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Last time when I was in NS, know of those who have skin problem and cannot don the No. 4 so not only got PES C but he was given PES E. 8 to 5 job wearing No. 3 and worked in CMPB. Eat at hawker centre (bigger cook house but must pay for food).