Thread: New Zealand or Hokkaido

Default New Zealand or Hokkaido

May I have your opinion, which one will you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    May I have your opinion, which one will you choose?
    your question so vague

for holiday ?

One is in the Northern Hemisphere, the other in the southern.
    So I don't think you are thinking of skiing, right?

At this point in time, Hokkaido should be covered with snow and it is not safe to self drive.
    So at this point in time, I would go to NZ since itis summer.

Visit Hokkaido around June to July.... the flowers are lovely.
    Then in autumn, the scenery is great.
    Hokkaido has fresh and delicious seafood, and lovely onsens.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    One is in the Northern Hemisphere, the other in the southern.
    So I don't think you are thinking of skiing, right?

At this point in time, Hokkaido should be covered with snow and it is not safe to self drive.
    So at this point in time, I would go to NZ since itis summer.

Visit Hokkaido around June to July.... the flowers are lovely.
    Then in autumn, the scenery is great.
    Hokkaido has fresh and delicious seafood, and lovely onsens.
    Thank you. Thought of going for a holiday next year during June/July but don't know which country to choose. If choose NZ, will self-drive and needs lots of planning. If choose Hokkaido, join the tour agency, everything arrange for you, can relax and enjoy and more important is don't need to worry about the language difference.

I loves scenery, that's why I choose between NZ and Hokkaido. Do you know which month is it for autumn (NZ and Hokkaido)?

If June/ July Hokkaido is wonderful cos it is summer and the flowers are in full bloom. Can self drive. I did that last year with a tour group called Prime Travel. It was the most enjoyable holiday in my life. They give u an itinerary to follow n recommend the places to eat. Car with GPS provided. At the end of the day, all with meet in the hotel which is different everyday. Food is of very good quality. Hotel mainly first class onsen hotels. The good part is flight there is usually chartered direct to Sapporo by SQ.

Their clientele is usually professionals. My group consisted of a judge, a lawyer and some doctors.

NZ I dun really know the season but it should be the direct opposite.

If June/ July Hokkaido is wonderful cos it is summer and the flowers are in full bloom. Can self drive. I did that last year with a tour group called Prime Travel. It was the most enjoyable holiday in my life. They give u an itinerary to follow n recommend the places to eat. Car with GPS provided. At the end of the day, all with meet in the hotel which is different everyday. Food is of very good quality. Hotel mainly first class onsen hotels. The good part is flight there is usually chartered direct to Sapporo by SQ.

Their clientele is usually professionals. My group consisted of a judge, a lawyer and some doctors.

NZ I dun really know the season but it should be the direct opposite.
    Thank you so much. It sounds wonderful. You mean you join the Prime Travel and they provide the car for you to self-drive (with your faimily only), prepare itinerary, hotels, food and flight for you. So how much you pay the Prime Travel for all these? Do they lead you or each and every car travel on their own, what happen if get lost?

Thank you so much. It sounds wonderful. You mean you join the Prime Travel and they provide the car for you to self-drive (with your faimily only), prepare itinerary, hotels, food and flight for you. So how much you pay the Prime Travel for all these? Do they lead you or each and every car travel on their own, what happen if get lost?
    Yup, that's what they do- car with gps in english. Itinerary given with alternative routes. Recommendation for lunch which is not provided, drive to the hotel at night and top grade japanese food awaiting for you. Flight usually chartered direct to Sapporo, but this is subjected to whether the airline can get the permission to do so.

The travel is up to you. You can leave the hotel later if you want to sleep longer, and you travel alone, not in a convoy.
    The meeting point will be the hotel at night. Eating is not in a group, ie each individual family will get a table to themselves.
    I travelled with 2 other family friends.
    Some days we had dinner in a private room!

If get lost can call them with local handphone they provided.
    They will sms you daily to update you if the recommended restaurant is closed etc, and the traffic condition for that day.

If you dunno how to order food, cos some Japanese restaurant only speak Japanese, you can call them on the hand phone for help.
    But most of the time, a staff from the travel agency will also be present at the restaurant to help.

I booked it early during the NATAS fair in Feb for travel in June. That was in 2010.
    I think it cost $16k for 4 of us, can't remember the exact amount. 3A+1C. 8D7N.
    If book later, will be more expensive.

Wow, thank you so much for your detail explanation. Sign.., I have a problem, my son prefers NZ while my daughter prefers Hokkaido.

Wonder whether is it safe to drive in NZ during June/July? If self-drive in NZ, we will not book any hotel, will just stop over at any motel for a night and carry on the next day just like what we did during our USA trip many years back. What do you think?

Wow, thank you so much for your detail explanation. Sign.., I have a problem, my son prefers NZ while my daughter prefers Hokkaido.

Wonder whether is it safe to drive in NZ during June/July? If self-drive in NZ, we will not book any hotel, will just stop over at any motel for a night and carry on the next day just like what we did during our USA trip many years back. What do you think?
    NZ in June/ July will be winter so the days are shorter and you will have less time for driving. It should be safe in terms of security, but as the roads can be tortuous, and we are not used to driving long distances, it may not be so safe in that aspect.

Hokkaido on the otherhand will be summer. The roads are mostly straight roads, and easy to drive and most of the time there are drivers around, so it is not so monotonous.

However, we did get sleepy during some of the drives, but I did not dare sleep, as I was afraid that my hubby would fall asleep during the drive.
    I had lots of tit bits eg sng buay- get the really sour ones, and strong wasabi crackers - all these will perk u up if u r tired. Then I had rosemary oil, eucalyptus oil cos smelling these oil will wake u up too!

If kids can't decide, then let mummy decide on the trip!

NZ in June/ July will be winter so the days are shorter and you will have less time for driving. It should be safe in terms of security, but as the roads can be tortuous, and we are not used to driving long distances, it may not be so safe in that aspect.

Hokkaido on the otherhand will be summer. The roads are mostly straight roads, and easy to drive and most of the time there are drivers around, so it is not so monotonous.

However, we did get sleepy during some of the drives, but I did not dare sleep, as I was afraid that my hubby would fall asleep during the drive.
    I had lots of tit bits eg sng buay- get the really sour ones, and strong wasabi crackers - all these will perk u up if u r tired. Then I had rosemary oil, eucalyptus oil cos smelling these oil will wake u up too!

If kids can't decide, then let mummy decide on the trip!
    Mummy also can't decide leh, how har, go to both places, but money not enough leh.

One of my friends went to NZ with her husband, the road was very winding and then they had an accident, the car over-turned, luckily, they were not seriously hurt, long live er.

Mummy also can't decide leh, how har, go to both places, but money not enough leh.

One of my friends went to NZ with her husband, the road was very winding and then they had an accident, the car over-turned, luckily, they were not seriously hurt, long live er.
    Went nz twice during winter. Self drive and really fun. Not that dangerous. Will like to go there again

Quote Originally Posted by stl67
    Went nz twice during winter. Self drive and really fun. Not that dangerous. Will like to go there again
    Thank you. Do you book the hotel in advance or book it only when you happen to stop over at that town? How about car, do you book from Singapore (online) first and which car company did you book?

Thank you. Do you book the hotel in advance or book it only when you happen to stop over at that town? How about car, do you book from Singapore (online) first and which car company did you book?
    Most of the time I book the hotel and Car on line except those ulu place like fox glaciers. Milford sound is beautiful.

when are u planning to go ?

NZ die die must go!!!

i am thinking of Korea, ski resort but its too late to book. thinking of March holiday. Afraid no snow in March

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    i am thinking of Korea, ski resort but its too late to book. thinking of March holiday. Afraid no snow in March
    Hey, why not try Heilongjiang in Harbin, China.
    Supposed to have snow all year round.
    They have a club med there.

Hi , have u been there ?

i know china is cheaper to ski..

when are u planning to go ?

Will be going in late June till early July this year for 14 days. That's the only time we can spare for this yr. Most likely we will go to NZ first, then Hokkaido will be our next trip, hope to go there during Autumn time.

[quote=stl67] Most of the time I book the hotel and Car on line except those ulu place like fox glaciers. Milford sound is beautiful

Is it advisable to book the hotel/motel first or go there then book. But our main consideration of not booking in advance is that if we book it in advance, no matter how, we have to go to this hotel/motel which I'm afraid that we might not be able to make it in time.

Any recommendations of nice places to visit, did you try the farmstay?

Many years back, we went to Korea in Dec. Couldn't see any snow coming down from the sky. Our tour guide brought us to a snow city to ski, he said that it is there throughout the year.

Never been to Harbin, but I heard that the scenery is very nice and it is very cold.

If in June, I suppose it is school holiday
    then go Japan,
    it is gg to be difficult to drive in NZ in June and daytime is very short, and u hv nothing to do in the long long nite, it is very cold there in June especially the south island, couple with the strong wind,

Many years back, we went to Korea in Dec. Couldn't see any snow coming down from the sky. Our tour guide brought us to a snow city to ski, he said that it is there throughout the year.

hi iris

can u confirm the ski resort is YongPyeong ? The place where Winter Olympic is going to be held

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    If in June, I suppose it is school holiday
    then go Japan,
    it is gg to be difficult to drive in NZ in June and daytime is very short, and u hv nothing to do in the long long nite, it is very cold there in June especially the south island, couple with the strong wind,
    Yup, south island is quite deserted and cold.

hi iris

can u confirm the ski resort is YongPyeong ? The place where Winter Olympic is going to be held
    So sorry, couldn't really remember but I don't think that is the one.