Thread: Pros & Cons of 20yr Old Condo

Default Pros & Cons of 20yr Old Condo

hello to all the seasoned pple...

pls enlightened...what to look out for?

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

Ummm.... 20yr old condo... let me guess hor....

pros
    - cheap cheap
    - established estate, amenities
    - big big rooms
    - no bay windows, no big balcony, no big aircon ledge, no planter, no big space at entrance. In short, no makan-ed by developer

cons
    - toilet leaking, repairing/renovation needed. extra ca$h when buying
    - more financing/refinancing problems, for you or for next buyer
    - don;t know about the fengshui or got people kena murdered inside before...
    - buy old old 20yr condo also damn malu/ashame 1... cannot throw a big big house warming party to show off... must hide...

...please add on to the list....

Please see updates in bold below.

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    Ummm.... 20yr old condo... let me guess hor....

pros
    - cheap cheap
    - established estate, amenities
    - big big rooms
    - no bay windows, no big balcony, no big aircon ledge, no planter, no big space at entrance. In short, no makan-ed by developer
    - Neighbours' kids would have grown up by now, so you might see more chiobu in your estate

cons
    - toilet leaking, repairing/renovation needed. extra ca$h when buying
    - more financing/refinancing problems, for you or for next buyer
    - don;t know about the fengshui or got people kena murdered inside before...
    - buy old old 20yr condo also damn malu/ashame 1... cannot throw a big big house warming party to show off... must hide...
    - Previous chiobu would have already grown old by now, so you might see more aunties in your estate

...please add on to the list....

The biggest headache I had when I bought my 17 year old condo was the leaking problem that my neighbor downstairs had been complaining about. Apparently the tenant turned a deaf year to all those complaints coz he's only a tenant. When I bought the unit, I had to spend $$ to repair that leakage. However, after 4 months, the leak came back. It persisted for about 1.5 years before I decided to do a thorough reno and redid the water proofing at the kitchen area before the problem was completely arrested.

Then one of my room started to leak whenever it rained. The water proofing problem again but this time its the management's problem. They simply told me the next time they refurbish the walls, they'll redo the water proofing. So in the mean time, I had to live in a room that leaked whenever it rained. Lol! Use an umbrella even when I'm home... Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    The biggest headache I had when I bought my 17 year old condo was the leaking problem that my neighbor downstairs had been complaining about. Apparently the tenant turned a deaf year to all those complaints coz he's only a tenant. When I bought the unit, I had to spend $$ to repair that leakage. However, after 4 months, the leak came back. It persisted for about 1.5 years before I decided to do a thorough reno and redid the water proofing at the kitchen area before the problem was completely arrested.

Then one of my room started to leak whenever it rained. The water proofing problem again but this time its the management's problem. They simply told me the next time they refurbish the walls, they'll redo the water proofing. So in the mean time, I had to live in a room that leaked whenever it rained. Lol! Use an umbrella even when I'm home... Lol!
    That's why cannot buy ulu located 99LH units no matter how cheap. Cannot sell when you encounter such problems 20 years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    That's why cannot buy ulu located 99LH units no matter how cheap. Cannot sell when you encounter such problems 20 years down the road.
    Good thing mine was a FH near MRT so no problem... Lol!

FH yes, LH No.

FH you're buying land

LH you're buying what's left of the land

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Good thing mine was a FH near MRT so no problem... Lol!
    I tot it was a good thing for the previous owner to unload to you. You bought it because it is FH and near MRT right?

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    I tot it was a good thing for the previous owner to unload to you. You bought it because it is FH and near MRT right?
    Oh yes.. absolutely true also when I unloaded it to the next person who bought for the exact same reason but paid 30% more than what I paid for... Lol!

Really cheo kar pengz rah rah latecomers to the property scene always suffer

Must always have latecomers to keep the system going wat... these latecomers will then hope for even later comers... Lol! Its an ecology by itself...

That's why most buyers go new launch..

early birds get the best deals

average folks skim off the remaining leftover profits

latecomers die pain pain

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    early birds get the best deals

average folks skim off the remaining leftover profits

latecomers die pain pain
    ...umm.... you talking about your geylang meimei ??...

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    ...umm.... you talking about your geylang meimei ??...
    property or mei mei same same lah.

early is freshest