Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rent my HDB and stay in condo

Default Rent my HDB and stay in condo

Hi All

Is it possible to rent out my 5 room HDB flat which is fully paid and MOP completed, and I stay in my private condo

Pls advice...

Quote Originally Posted by smarian
    Hi All

Is it possible to rent out my 5 room HDB flat which is fully paid and MOP completed, and I stay in my private condo

Pls advice...
    Yes. As long as you informed IRAS and HDB about it.

Yes you can... must write in to HDB and give them several weeks to reply. Don't wait for last min and don't HDB catch you renting out your flat without prior permission from them.

i did that past four years no prob....

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Yes you can... must write in to HDB and give them several weeks to reply. Don't wait for last min and don't HDB catch you renting out your flat without prior permission from them.
    no need la bro can do online instant approval unless you got outstanding issues with them...

He said don't get caught - you obviously didn't...
    Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    i did that past four years no prob....

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    I suppose it is also for taxation purpose?

mine was approved and with blessings and good wishes from the relevant authorities.....

no need la bro can do online instant approval unless you got outstanding issues with them...
    Didn't know there's instant approval online now... Lol! Good to know... Hahahaha!

Nice one!

Hi All

Thanks for the info, I have a friend who have the same question but the only difference is ... MOP completed but he have 2 outstanding loan namely HDB loan and his 2nd loan private condo.

can he still rent out his HDB and stay in his condo.

hdb or private pty loan does not determine whether he can rent it out or not. the question is whether ur friend took a grant when buying the hdb, if he has, then the mop will be longer than normal (difference of 2 years). after the mop, he cen rent out the hdb and govt can't stop people from doing that coz he is exercising his rights according to the law.

Quote Originally Posted by smarian
    Hi All

Thanks for the info, I have a friend who have the same question but the only difference is ... MOP completed but he have 2 outstanding loan namely HDB loan and his 2nd loan private condo.

can he still rent out his HDB and stay in his condo.

When you submit to HDB for approval, you need the tenacy details... so this means that you source for tenant first and then go for approval. It is instantly approved if you already met MOP.

Quote Originally Posted by stiook
    When you submit to HDB for approval, you need the tenacy details... so this means that you source for tenant first and then go for approval. It is instantly approved if you already met MOP.
    its easier to find tenant for hdb than to catch fish from bedok jetty....

Good to know... Lol!

I supposeit depends on the profile you are looking for.... I have received interest from individual professionals grouping up, looking for a place. But I took a bit of time to look for a family tenant, and excluding certain nationality.

I supposeit depends on the profile you are looking for.... I have received interest from individual professionals grouping up, looking for a place. But I took a bit of time to look for a family tenant, and excluding certain nationality.
    If a group of 3 professionals coming in to rent the entire HDB flat vs a family with 2 small kids coming, would you prefer the family instead of the 3 professionals? Hmmm... sometimes children will spoil your floor, draw on your walls, etc and that would incur more maintenance cost, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    If a group of 3 professionals coming in to rent the entire HDB flat vs a family with 2 small kids coming, would you prefer the family instead of the 3 professionals? Hmmm... sometimes children will spoil your floor, draw on your walls, etc and that would incur more maintenance cost, wouldn't it?
    I also worried that the professionals may have wild parties...one agent re commended 6 pax.... didnt even feel like meeting.... another one was a young couple but they did not meet my price...

So, very important to know what you want, balancing profile, price and tenor...

likewise, i prefer to professionals, and certain groups of tenants is a definite no no.

Sometimes it's your luck. I have been renting my HDB to a group of 5 or 6 Filipino professionals for the past 5 years. A mixture of ladies and men. Originally working in a local bank (mainly IT/service line) but now some of them have changed jobs. They actually look after it pretty well. Doing minor repairs like replacing the taps themselves. I have been renewing their tenancy at below market rate because I am happy with them as tenants.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Sometimes it's your luck. I have been renting my HDB to a group of 5 or 6 Filipino professionals for the past 5 years. A mixture of ladies and men. Originally working in a local bank (mainly IT/service line) but now some of them have changed jobs. They actually look after it pretty well. Doing minor repairs like replacing the taps themselves. I have been renewing their tenancy at below market rate because I am happy with them as tenants.
    Well the group of professionals are here for the long haul. They are already staying for 5 years... hmmm.... they should seriously consider pulling their resources together and buy a property.... Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    my ex tenants were 3 sia stewardesses....nice girls hardly around they stayed 3 years in my flat when they handed keys back to me i was amazed after 3 years my unit was in pretty much same condition currently renting out to indian it professional with small family been over a year so far so good...so i guess its about luck i must admit i have heard some horror stories about tenants....

Hopefully my next tenants will be ok.... Hmmm... past tenants still ok...

I also worried that the professionals may have wild parties...one agent re commended 6 pax.... didnt even feel like meeting.... another one was a young couple but they did not meet my price...

my friend's company has 4 single expats ...

the company planned to house them in a landed house, each gets a room .. and provide 1 car for them to drive to work ..

agent showed a landlord ..somehow landlord are not keen ... and prefer a real family ... the house has been empty for 6 mths ..

it also depends on where is the HDB units and the surrounding. 3 bedrooms (4rm/5rm) HDB seems to do very well in rentals.

4 single expat may end up 8 person. Cannot stop them from bringing girlfriends or boyfriends home. My units are tenanted out to single and glad that they are tidy and look after the place very well. It boils down to the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    my friend's company has 4 single expats ...

the company planned to house them in a landed house, each gets a room .. and provide 1 car for them to drive to work ..

agent showed a landlord ..somehow landlord are not keen ... and prefer a real family ... the house has been empty for 6 mths ..

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    4 single expat may end up 8 person. Cannot stop them from bringing girlfriends or boyfriends home. My units are tenanted out to single and glad that they are tidy and look after the place very well. It boils down to the character.
    Anyway to tell if the tenant is able to maintain the place well?

Am quite concern that they mess up the place or don't keep go care of the things in the house leh

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0503
    Anyway to tell if the tenant is able to maintain the place well?

Am quite concern that they mess up the place or don't keep go care of the things in the house leh
    No way to tell... they may look untidy from the outside but actually cleans up the house well or they may look really neat and proper but don't maintain the house... no way to tell beforehand... If can tell, then those untidy tenants will purposely doll themselves up till cannot tell also and paint a very nice lifestyle and family background to cover up...

It helps if they do not cook and eat out.

For me, prefer small family than professionals.

Reason is because if small family, whether couple or couple with 1 young kid, normally they will keep the place tidy and clean.
    I also wont take in family with 2 or more kids as I think the parents will have hands full on the kids and inevitably, will neglect the property.

For professionals or groups, well, all will be working and when come back, will be too tired to clean up.

Yeah, I know I'm rather picky but so far, so good - plus I have a good property agent who knows and agrees with my peculiarities!