Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Multi-property owner speaks up

User Info Menu

Default Multi-property owner speaks up

Multi-property owner speaks up
    I AM put off by the latest round of cooling measures ('Property curbs could hurt economy: Redas'; Dec 28).

I am a Singaporean and own three private properties. I studied hard. I work hard. I employ Singaporeans and contribute to the economy. I pay annual taxes that amount to what some earn in a year.

To me, meritocracy works - and counts, and there are no short cuts: You work hard, you make money and you pay your dues. But now, I am told that as a native Singaporean who has run the gauntlet of our much vaunted meritocracy, I must be penalised further by that very same system because I invested my hard-earned rewards in more than one local property.

This is enough to drive me from the country I grew up in and in which I am still contributing, to think the better of investing here and invest in a property in another country that does not discriminate against high-income earners.

Does my money count? Do I count?

Tan Cheng Hock
    Last edited by esther; 5th January 2012 at 08:53 PM.

东方

User Info Menu

3 cheers for Mr Tan. I bet he is one of the forummer here...

Junior

User Info Menu

Yup 3 cheers!!

OCR properties going to crash!

User Info Menu

I support ya! Why discriminate against us who work hard to earn and choose to invest in private properties? Govt should just respect market forces with respect to private property market, otherwise how to become like London and New York?
    Those who can't afford should just stick with HDB flats and ECs. There already many choices there! Stop CPCB! Otherwise sooner or later I pull my fund & business fully out of Singapore! I believe many others will do the same!

Quote Originally Posted by esther
    I AM put off by the latest round of cooling measures ('Property curbs could hurt economy: Redas'; Dec 28).

I am a Singaporean and own three private properties. I studied hard. I work hard. I employ Singaporeans and contribute to the economy. I pay annual taxes that amount to what some earn in a year.

To me, meritocracy works - and counts, and there are no short cuts: You work hard, you make money and you pay your dues. But now, I am told that as a native Singaporean who has run the gauntlet of our much vaunted meritocracy, I must be penalised further by that very same system because I invested my hard-earned rewards in more than one local property.

This is enough to drive me from the country I grew up in and in which I am still contributing, to think the better of investing here and invest in a property in another country that does not discriminate against high-income earners.

Tan Cheng Hock

Senior

User Info Menu

Yah loh why penalize your own citizens owning part of his country?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by esther

Tan Cheng Hock
    A natural reaction
    Can't it be the tide has turned, now is the opportunity for those who has worked hard, saved up and still contributing equally high income earners to use their hard earned reward to buy when the price is right?

I think he will not make such remarks if he is holding on to his hard earned reward and waiting on the sideline patiently.

Investment is about patience and within ones means and ability to ride over any uncertainties and emerge as winner. Just to share an alternative perspective.

东方

User Info Menu

I just dont get it. Citizens should be encouraged to buy properties, the more the merrier, as it directly contributes to the local economy. Just impose a 5yr MOP if govt like, to ward off speculation. Why penalise them for buying?

Its simply a poor excuse to ride on and take advantage of the situation to add on to the gahmen coffers...

OCR properties going to crash!

User Info Menu

Coffeeshop talk: Landed property prices going to crash the worst! You know, these people's salary got cut by 35%, so landed should come down by 35% to maintain their purchasing power! And these people only buy landed for security and privacy reasons....

Quote Originally Posted by flxcat
    A natural reaction
    Can't it be the tide has turned, now is the opportunity for those who has worked hard, saved up and still contributing equally high income earners to use their hard earned reward to buy when the price is right?

I think he will not make such remarks if he is holding on to his hard earned reward and waiting on the sideline patiently.

Investment is about patience and within ones means and ability to ride over any uncertainties and emerge as winner. Just to share an alternative perspective.

Senior

User Info Menu

Private property should indeed be outside the purview of govt cooling measures if it involves singaporean buyers. Govt can curb foreign buying but it makes no sense for govt to tax singaporeans who wish to buy more than one property for the purposes of investment. Whether or not property is to be used as a tool for investment, it is a person's individual freedom. Providing housing for the masses should only be the mandate of hdb and it has nothing to do with the private pty market. Why should HDB valuations be affected by private property prices when hdb prices are pegged to past hdb transactions and not to private pty prices?

Junior

User Info Menu

ABSD is just 3%, and not 10%, and he makes so much noise? LOL

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast