Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sort of price appreciation?

Default What sort of price appreciation?

Can anybody give examples of capital appreciation witnessed over the years from 2003 onwards till now? For example, which development, market price then and market price now for the same type of units within the same development. I find that it is more meaningful to look at the actual price appreciation of a particular unit rather than price index or price psf of similar condos or new launches.

I have looked at some price index and the compounded appreciation is something like 10% per annum over 7 years from 2003 till end 2011. This price index could be derived from HDB or private condos (I am not sure) but I am more interested in private condos rate of appreciation as I think it is more accurate because of less government intervention.

Thanks a lot.

Sail@MarinaBay launch price for Sentosa view units was around 750 psf in 2004. Today average price of same units is around 1800 to 2000 psf.

centris at jurong point lauch at below $400psf, now above $1000psf. citylight at lavender launch at below $500psf, now around $1500psf

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    centris at jurong point lauch at below $400psf, now above $1000psf. citylight at lavender launch at below $500psf, now around $1500psf
    When were they launched? 3 fold increase for Citylight? Currently how is the occupancy rate? Is this Freehold or Leasehold? Any special reason why it increased so much?

citylight at lavender launch at below $500psf, now around $1500psf
    Are you sure?

Citylights launched at an average 590 psf

centris about 500psf and CL about 6xxpsf on average

ave price of PC in general in 2010 is higher than 96-97 peak and 06-07...take a look at URA website...

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8
    ave price of PC in general in 2010 is higher than 96-97 peak and 06-07...take a look at URA website...
    it shows current prices are relatively undervalued or 97 pre crisis prices are overvalued if we take inflation for the past 13years into account?

i'd seen thru some cycle for part of my life time until now (i not young though, haha). Here is how I see appreciation in long term, if you speculate then forget it...

- 3-to-7-to-12-to-20 = x5 (and at least 3 times down in cycle)
    - 20-to-20 = x5

but its getting shorter now, so I think i will see what happens in 18months time (9mth-to-9mth = par).

if we compute inflation at3% per year from 1996 till 2012.... 16 years.... easily at least 60% higher....

So honestly i would say prices now are actually not overpriced....

Dont understand why people keep comparing prices against 1996 peak...
    We are not 16 years later.... sure will go higher than 1996...

Chicken rice then was 1.5 per plate?

Southbank similar to citylight enjoys the same price appreciation.

tell that to the garmen...why keeps rolling out CM one after the other? one step at a time and step after step to rein in the price...what is their objective than?

i almost bought the 2 bedder at CL on the 23rd floor at below 500psf
    decided on another development instead.

they were even giving free Las Vegas trip if take OCBC loan for this devt at the launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy
    centris about 500psf and CL about 6xxpsf on average

tell that to the garmen...why keeps rolling out CM one after the other? one step at a time and step after step to rein in the price...what is their objective than?
    coz all singaporeans complain and expect to live in private condo they moment they start working

Quote Originally Posted by CCR
    coz all singaporeans complain and expect to live in private condo they moment they start working
    Ha ha very interesting answer, anyway, In Sg, would rather play by the rule no point go against what the CMs intend to do.....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Not all lah. Only those wanting to upgrade to private condo but didn't want to spend so much money complaining! (something like 20%?). Their voice very loud siah (that is why 20% win the other 80%!), and they are reasonably educated to argue here and there and twist things upside down to their advantage like:
    - Singapore properties too over-valued.
    - Singapore properties can't be compared to HK, NY, London etc other big cities and hence must be much cheaper!
    [Reply: If Singapore so poor, they can go other countries lor, don't need to CPCB here. ).
    - Singapore govt owe them a private condo!
    - Singapore govt owe them a car!
    - Singapore govt owe them a P1 place in the top most reputable primary schools for their kids!
    - Singapore govt owe them free medical services!

Originally Posted by peterng8

all in all, what is important is the perspective of the garmen and their thinktanks...they set the rules of the games..

The can continue to please this vocal 20% at their peril. They never satisifed one lah. Come GE2016 let's see what happens! (they will vote opposition again saying gov owe them a car etc!)

all in all, what is important is the perspective of the garmen and their thinktanks...they set the rules of the games..

i still think that CM will not do the job.... if there is not economic crisis, the cm will nto be able to do much...

What I think the gahmen should do is to take care of the bottom 80% of the population.... that means.... ensure HDB is reasonable, and launch a lot of EC at reasonable prices if they want...

Those who wants to own condo then go ahead and speculate all your want... in this manner we will at least have a market drive n economy for the private properties and do not scare away foreign investors...

Why have such harsh measures that kill all investors...

If you build enough EC, Singaporeans will not complain, EC is as good as condos...

if we compute inflation at3% per year from 1996 till 2012.... 16 years.... easily at least 60% higher....

So honestly i would say prices now are actually not overpriced....

Dont understand why people keep comparing prices against 1996 peak...
    We are not 16 years later.... sure will go higher than 1996...

Chicken rice then was 1.5 per plate?
    i still remember watching Sam Hui movies for $1.50, no one track cinema ticket pricing.

so since everything goes up so much, why properties prices must always be compared to 1996? really strange...

I even come across some people commented in the papers that their parents bought 3 room flats for 30k

last time police wear shorts and grads earn $300

Well, some people say the chicken rice in hawker centre still costs $2.50 for past 10 years mah, what inflation?
    I think these people don't eat chicken rice in hawker centre one, that is why give such stupid answer! The same plate of $2.50 chicken rice meat and rice (meat especially) have shrunk so much that now the 2 plates is equivalent to old 1 plate!

They always like to compare to old old. Last time 1989 PM earn $500k a year. Now $3.8m (ok going to reduce to $2.4m) still a lot of difference right?

1 of the worst is HDB flats! last time 5rm is average 1350 sqft now only 1100 sqft! Yet price also so much higher right, e.g. 2003 Sengkang new HDB flat $230k for 1200 sqft, now nearby lousier further from MRT HDB DBSS 1100 sqft selling $706k!

so since everything goes up so much, why properties prices must always be compared to 1996? really strange...

I even come across some people commented in the papers that their parents bought 3 room flats for 30k

last time police wear shorts and grads earn $300

the price peak at 96-96 and somewhere in 06-07 are used as a guide it could be useful for thsoe who have bought low and want to sell at a profit with LEsser risk.. dont want to be hero mah (dont want to be price setter)..

i still think that CM will not do the job.... if there is not economic crisis, the cm will nto be able to do much...

What I think the gahmen should do is to take care of the bottom 80% of the population.... that means.... ensure HDB is reasonable, and launch a lot of EC at reasonable prices if they want...

Those who wants to own condo then go ahead and speculate all your want... in this manner we will at least have a market drive n economy for the private properties and do not scare away foreign investors...

If you build enough EC, Singaporeans will not complain, EC is as good as condos...

like that even jialat...if price keeps going up, the game master will set another additonal rule(CM6) if CM5 cannot work... dont you think so if price is high based on their perspective...

Agree. This is also the reason why have EC in the first place. Garmen stop EC for a while & now resume. This should fill the gaps for those who want condo life but at a lower cost since EC is cheaper than mass market condo. Right?

But sadly they still not happy with EC, some still want real condo because they don't like to be tie down by the 5yrs MOP & 10yrs before privatized rules. If the EC is still seem as too expensive, kpkb to garment to lower the EC cost lah.

Really don't understand why EC is still not good enough? I think they are also greedy. Want to have a share of making good profit in condo investment quickly.

Don't have a big head but still want to wear a big hat. So kpkb to want to own a real private condo cheap cheap.

Learn to walk before you run. I bought EC before before moving into condo & grow from there. Living in EC is exactly the same as condo, I've no regrets owning one last time.

EC should be the answer for these sandwich class.
    Last edited by PN; 10-01-12 at 16:51.

Quote Originally Posted by groggy
    Can anybody give examples of capital appreciation witnessed over the years from 2003 onwards till now? For example, which development, market price then and market price now for the same type of units within the same development. I find that it is more meaningful to look at the actual price appreciation of a particular unit rather than price index or price psf of similar condos or new launches.

I have looked at some price index and the compounded appreciation is something like 10% per annum over 7 years from 2003 till end 2011. This price index could be derived from HDB or private condos (I am not sure) but I am more interested in private condos rate of appreciation as I think it is more accurate because of less government intervention.

Thanks a lot.
    Bought Southbank for $535,000, 958sqft, 2 Bedroom in June 2006.

SOUTHBANK NORTH BRIDGE ROAD Apartment 1 1,500,000 958 Strata 1,566 Nov-11

Bought Terrasse for $1,305,800, 1453sqft, 3+1, 5th floor penthouse in May 2011

TERRASSE TERRASSE LANE Condominium 1 1,305,800 1,453 Strata 899 Jun-11

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    Bought Southbank for $535,000, 958sqft, 2 Bedroom in June 2006.

SOUTHBANK NORTH BRIDGE ROAD Apartment 1 1,500,000 958 Strata 1,566 Nov-11

Bought Terrasse for $1,305,800, 1453sqft, 3+1, 5th floor penthouse in May 2011

TERRASSE TERRASSE LANE Condominium 1 1,305,800 1,453 Strata 899 Jun-11
    Southbank's gain is VERY impressive. Is this one of the best appreciation rate? Even more impressive than Citylights? Was it bought from developer?

Quote Originally Posted by groggy
    Southbank's gain is VERY impressive. Is this one of the best appreciation rate? Even more impressive than Citylights? Was it bought from developer?
    Southbank 2rd day of launch.

Terrasse 1st day of launch.