Thread: Rental Scam

Default Rental Scam

Any1 here kena "Rental Scam" before? You put up your ad on the internet for rental and this person from overseas will email you say very interested and very happy with the price u are asking, and want to transfer to you the rental and deposit by paypal. Just when about to transfer, he realised that he has no cash on hand to transfer the $$$ to his movers via Western Union and can only make transfer. So he will transfer the $$$ to you and you have to help to transfer the $$$ via Western Union to his movers.....yet to know his next move, most probably asking to transfer the $$$ over first... sounds complicated huh?

Default Cheated = Greed + Foolish

The cheater can change the details again and again, but the root cause for one to be cheated will not change:

Cheated = Greed + Foolish

Thanks,
    Richard

Sounds like the guy is looking for some victims to do some laundering.

I've encountered one who was renting out "her" apartment. The picture of the interior (very large windows) doesn't match the exterior of the building (HDB flat. I have seen the building and I know it doesn't have large windows). She said she is posted overseas to work therefore I can't view the interior of the apartment but I can view the exterior. She mentioned something about a security guard (at HDB flat??)
    She asked for my personal details (full name, identity number, address) for the contract and she said she will courier the keys to me.
    You know where this is going next... I didn't bother to find out and I wasn't going to give my personal details to some stranger over the internet.

By the way, her English was sort of weird for someone who claimed to be from UK.

Side track abit, also similar scam.

Cute dog put up for adoption for free, no adoption fees required.
    Owner apparently loves the dog alot but has serious sickness and puts it up for adoption.
    When you email the person, the reply is very warm and friendly, but the English in the email is bit weird - broken English, and the tone sounds over enthusiatic and over friendly.

Then the person will say dog not in Singapore, and need you to pay the freight charges to ship the dog over, so you need to remit the money first then they send you the dog.

Sounds fishy, but apparently some people were taken in by it.

Rule of game - never ever give out personal details over the net. And never come out money first if you are the seller or provider. Unless is people wanna give you money, dont wait, just give your PayPal account hahahaha.....

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Rule of game - never ever give out personal details over the net. And never come out money first if you are the seller or provider. Unless is people wanna give you money, dont wait, just give your PayPal account hahahaha.....
    Even if people claim they want to give me money and ask for my particulars, I will tell them I don't want their money.
    My mother always tell me : Never accept things from strangers.

I had received calls from "call centre" saying that I had been pick to enjoy a full subsidies of holiday package. I just tell her that "sorry, I'm not interested" and then hung up the phone. Where got so lucky?

There was once this "call centre-a China lady" called my colleague to tell him about the free holiday package, my colleague asked her lots of questions until she scared, then she quickly hung up the phone, haha.
    Last edited by irisng; 17-01-12 at 19:57.

Yup... I had a similar experience. Received a call from a Chinese national doing phone publicity on a financial product. At the beginning of the conversation, I stated clearly that I'm not interested. She cut me and insisted that I must give her an opportunity to explain her product. After a few sentences, I indicated again that I'm not interested. She ignored me and continued talking. Then, I was so tempted to just cut the line but if I did that, I'll just degrade myself to be like these people who are disrespectful towards others. I held on the line. At the end of her ranting, I reiterated my stand that I'm not interested. In anger, she scolded me and said, 'I should have voiced it from the beginning of the conversation and not waste her time'. Before I could digest what hit me, she slammed the phone in my face. That, my friend, is FT/FW for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Yup... I had a similar experience. Received a call from a Chinese national doing phone publicity on a financial product. At the beginning of the conversation, I stated clearly that I'm not interested. She cut me and insisted that I must give her an opportunity to explain her product. After a few sentences, I indicated again that I'm not interested. She ignored me and continued talking. Then, I was so tempted to just cut the line but if I did that, I'll just degrade myself to be like these people who are disrespectful towards others. I held on the line. At the end of her ranting, I reiterated my stand that I'm not interested. In anger, she scolded me and said, 'I should have voiced it from the beginning of the conversation and not waste her time'. Before I could digest what hit me, she slammed the phone in my face. That, my friend, is FT/FW for you.
    Ya, sometimes really irritating. No matter how you tell her, she just went on and on. In fact, I don't really just hung up the phone lah, I will kept on repeating the same words like sorry, I'm not interested or if come to the worst, she still talked non-stop, I will keep on saying "okay, okay, I'm really very busy until she cannot "tarhan" and say okay lor, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    Ya, sometimes really irritating. No matter how you tell her, she just went on and on. In fact, I don't really just hung up the phone lah, I will kept on repeating the same words like sorry, I'm not interested or if come to the worst, she still talked non-stop, I will keep on saying "okay, okay, I'm really very busy until she cannot "tarhan" and say okay lor, haha.
    My cousin giggled when I shared my experience with him. He advised me, 'next time you receive such a phone call, just speak English and insist that you don't understand what she's saying'.

My cousin giggled when I shared my experience with him. He advised me, 'next time you receive such a phone call, just speak English and insist that you don't understand what she's saying'.
    You'll be surprised that they have improved version.

I ever received a call that start with "你好。你会说华语吗?" and I gong gong say "我会“ and there she goes on and on .........

I get fed up when she refused to stop. I just hang up. Rude yes but that's how we should treat these cheats, conman or whatever you call them

My brother received such nuisance call from one of the "male ang moh". Despite telling him so many times that he was not interested, he kept on talking non-stop. My brother got so irritated that he used his handphone to record down what he said and left his handphone on the table and later let us listened. It took about 20 mins, talking in his own world.

was told by agent that there is a organised group of fraudster renting offices & residental condo with No intent of paying.. They will stay till eviction etc..
    Be wary of such companies like Globetron, Moon & moon, Deen & deen, Ministry Of Finance Pte Ltd etc.. These are all xxx fronts..
    This is the ultimate rental scam & they have been in existence for many years !

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    My brother received such nuisance call from one of the "male ang moh". Despite telling him so many times that he was not interested, he kept on talking non-stop. My brother got so irritated that he used his handphone to record down what he said and left his handphone on the table and later let us listened. It took about 20 mins, talking in his own world.
    Talking to himself for 20mins... this must be some sort of record!

Quote Originally Posted by smallant
    was told by agent that there is a organised group of fraudster renting offices & residental condo with No intent of paying.. They will stay till eviction etc..
    Be wary of such companies like Globetron, Moon & moon, Deen & deen, Ministry Of Finance Pte Ltd etc.. These are all xxx fronts..
    This is the ultimate rental scam & they have been in existence for many years !
    Aren't they suppose to pay 2 months in advance? No pay, no rent...

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    You'll be surprised that they have improved version.

I ever received a call that start with "你好。你会说华语吗?" and I gong gong say "我会“ and there she goes on and on .........

I get fed up when she refused to stop. I just hang up. Rude yes but that's how we should treat these cheats, conman or whatever you call them

hahahahah i also kena once. second time i just said

"hello ? hello ? hello ? can't hear you...hello hello " until she fed up and hang up.

Talking to himself for 20mins... this must be some sort of record!
    you guys are too kind. you should use my method above la..wohahhahahah

i know it is difficult in our nature to say no. but sometimes you just have to be rude la to stop the nonsense lor.

i teach u guys another method how not to let your collegue greet you in the office. Just walk in pretending to talking on the handphone lor. like that you can dash straight into your room lah. hehehehehehehehe

then in the airplane how to prevent the stewardess from asking you silly questions like wether you want this or you want that: just look at her up and down with that color wolf eyes and said " Miss, you very pretty hor...." I bet she will not wanna bother you anymore.heheheheheheheh

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21trader
    i teach u guys another method how not to let your collegue greet you in the office. Just walk in pretending to talking on the handphone lor. like that you can dash straight into your room lah. hehehehehehehehe
    Why you don't want colleagues to greet you?

yap : u ask a gd question !
    They churn pattern.. Gd faith deposit cheq okie.. But the 2 mths deposit cheq bounced ! By the time u realised that, they already got the keys and sitting in the unit churn pattern that the cheq clearing in progress etc ..

yap : u ask a gd question !
    They churn pattern.. Gd faith deposit cheq okie.. But the 2 mths deposit cheq bounced ! By the time u realised that, they already got the keys and sitting in the unit churn pattern that the cheq clearing in progress etc ..
    thanks for warning us, brother ! must be careful next

Just be very careful when u r renting out to a company ... esp when the entire company is all .. Problem is my agent did not due enough background checks ... not sure if she might be in cahoots with them ..
    All in all, they have about 100 over different company names,.... When they finally vacant my unit, I am faced with a lot of damages.. and lots of red letters chasing after bills.. Starhubs for numerous company Iphone & Ipad subscriptions for most expensive plan ! Suspect they sign up with no intent to pay up... Are still receiving debts collectors letters etc.. .

Just be very careful when u r renting out to a company ... esp when the entire company is all .. Problem is my agent did not due enough background checks ... not sure if she might be in cahoots with them ..
    All in all, they have about 100 over different company names,.... When they finally vacant my unit, I am faced with a lot of damages.. and lots of red letters chasing after bills.. Starhubs for numerous company Iphone & Ipad subscriptions for most expensive plan ! Suspect they sign up with no intent to pay up... Are still receiving debts collectors letters etc.. .
    did they pay your rent on time? did they exercised diplomatic clause?