Thread: MPs get extra $20k/month on top of $15k for grassroot work?

Default MPs get extra $20k/month on top of $15k for grassroot work?

I heard from somewhere that MPs get extra $20k on top of $15k allowance for grassroot work. why should they be getting extra when PA should be raising funds to pay for such activities through their courses and activities? Moreover, I do not think mps actually pay for any of those rc / cc activities coz ccs trends to squeeze money from PA for these things.

You can volunteer to donate half your monthly salary to your constituency's MP, I think he will be more than happy to accept
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezo
    More money better

Uniquely singapore

Where did you hear from? Its new to me too....

never know that

It is in the papers
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Where did you hear from? Its new to me too....

In the small little european bank I am working for, there are at least a few HOD/CEO earning >450k. On good time, the traders are taking >1mio bonus? What kind of decisons/responsibilities do they made compare to the ministers?
    I think there are a lot of people earning 1mio-2mio salary in singapore. Just look at the no of luxurious cars on the road as an eg.

My concern is my children if we kept hubbing on all these issues. Why? Because we have no natural resources except human brains. Imagine if we have weak ministers running the country, very soon we will be like Greece, Italy. Do you think one day France will also be gone if the government is only concern at making populist policies just to win votes?

From my observation, I think SG is going down this route. As I say my concern is my 4 YOUNG children's future. I can only guide them to learn some special skills and move on to other country because there will be no future in SG if we do not a strong government.

Bro, did you read the thread title properly? The contention in this thread is paying these mps extra $20k for their grassroot work when people's association already has their own fund raising activities. Ministerial salaries is another issue. if our country can save millions on the pay cut of the world's highest paid public servants, why not, if the money can go to more useful social causes?
    Quote Originally Posted by stl67
    In the small little european bank I am working for, there are at least a few HOD/CEO earning >450k. On good time, the traders are taking >1mio bonus? What kind of decisons/responsibilities do they made compare to the ministers?
    I think there are a lot of people earning 1mio-2mio salary in singapore. Just look at the no of luxurious cars on the road as an eg.

My concern is my children if we kept hubbing on all these issues. Why? Because we have no natural resources except human brains. Imagine if we have weak ministers running the country, very soon we will be like Greece, Italy. Do you think one day France will also be gone if the government is only concern at making populist policies just to win votes?

From my observation, I think SG is going down this route. As I say my concern is my 4 YOUNG children's future. I can only guide them to learn some special skills and move on to other country because there will be no future in SG if we do not a strong government.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

My concern is also for my children - but because of all the nanny-state's and populist policies that seems to be the trend! These will have adverse effects on the mentality of the people, the attractiveness of the country for foreigners (PRs included here) to come to work and invest and set up business etc here! We want to welcome those foreigners who can contribute to the betterment of the infrastructure, create jobs, impart specialized skills etc here. However, recent policies are in danger of backfiring above?

What? Well:
    - implement policies to allow the youngsters to buy properties cheap cheap at the expense of all others and having discriminating policies because of what you own, how many you own, whether you are foreigners, PRs, citizens!

- Implement what CKS (or don't know what shit) that restricts you from investing/trading in commodities, futures, forex etc unless you pass their course/test/get advice/need special permission blah blah blah. Do we really need that? A >21 years old cannot decide by themselves and need govt to have regulations to restrict these and that? How about consolidate all their money with govt and govt invest for them, pay them only allowances every month to prevent them from squandering their money?

Let me tell you, it is only the elites in the ruling party that say we are short of talents, but talent abound in singapore. the current lot of leaders are not indispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Let me tell you, it is only the elites in the ruling party that say we are short of talents, but talent abound in singapore. the current lot of leaders are not indispensable.
    i agree with you that there are lot of talents. but how many wants to be a politician? just take me as an eg. if i have the talent, qualification and etc, i rather join the private sector. one of the big sacrifice I see is privacy. imagine if a minister is seen in geylang area.

the other reason is most singaporeans are full of complains and unappreciative.

Default Plenty of "Nicola Seah"s

Plenty of "Nicola Seah"s will tell you, the newer generation is indeed better.

Just give them chance.

Thanks,
    Richard

If the gov post an ad recruiting minister of transport, environment, mnd, health etc, I think you can imagine the number of eligible applicants that will apply, this is needless to say. as of now, they are only selecting their ' own kind' which have to be related in some way so of course they would say there is a shortage of their so called talent
    i agree with you that there are lot of talents. but how many wants to be a politician? just take me as an eg. if i have the talent, qualification and etc, i rather join the private sector. one of the big sacrifice I see is privacy. imagine if a minister is seen in geylang area.

the other reason is most singaporeans are full of complains and unappreciative.

my view is talents alone do not count..u need to know the right people...how many of the top elites are actually top talents who got the top jobs?

in private sector...any big issue will result a going down the stage of the in charge...whereas in the case we talk about, it is obvious it has started to happen after latest previous polling result...

If our country can bring mutual benefit to another country or an mnc, any reasonably knowledgeable, educated and eloquent representative from singapore can negotiate a fta or a contract with the other party. Even ministers in singapore have to get civil servants to plan speeches and parliamentary debates for them, what makes anyone think they are clever?
    Quote Originally Posted by peterng8
    my view is talents alone do not count..u need to know the right people...how many of the top elites are actually top talents who got the top jobs?

in private sector...any big issue will result a going down the stage of the in charge...whereas in the case we talk about, it is obvious it has started to happen after latest previous polling result...