Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed - Moving to Singapore

Default Help needed - Moving to Singapore

All,

Previously lived in Sing for a couple of years, now coming back. Currently live in Hong Kong. Will we working in Tajong Pagar. Am looking for a condo, min 750 sq ft, 2 bed, less than 15 years old, pool, etc within 45 mins by bus. Budget is achievable rent of 3,000SGD a month.

Any recommendations of Condo's/areas? Novena looks ideal but there seems to be in the Geylang area.

Your advice is greatly appreciated

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bourneman1971
    All,

Previously lived in Sing for a couple of years, now coming back. Currently live in Hong Kong. Will we working in Tajong Pagar. Am looking for a condo, min 750 sq ft, 2 bed, less than 15 years old, pool, etc within 45 mins by bus. Budget is achievable rent of 3,000SGD a month.

Any recommendations of Condo's/areas? Novena looks ideal but there seems to be in the Geylang area.

Chris
    You can check out property guru website for rental units and prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezo
    Geylang is a good place for investment!!!
    depends on what you investing in...

Ts is renting, not investing.
    Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    depends on what you investing in...

Default Welcome to Singapore

Welcome to Singapore!

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/singa...ext=&districts[]=D02&hdb_estate=&maxprice=3000&maxbed=2&minbed=2&minsize=750&searchbtn=go

If the link doesn't work, just go to

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg

Under Search for Rent, D2.

My new office will be next to Tanjong Pager MRT station.

Thanks,
    Richard

You can consider renting a studio at mount sophia or emily hill area, nice and peaceful living environment and near orchard rd and your workplace. Alternatively, you can try for a studio unit at the icon where you can simply walk to work but not sure if you can get for $3k.
    All,

Chris

Thanks for all the posts. Yeah already looked on propertyguru and iproperty. I previously lived in Pasir Panjang road. Am not looking to live directly in the CBD or Orchard Road or indeed one of the mainly Ang Moh area's.

I posted on here to get advice mainly on particular Condo's. For example, seen a condo called VETRO, any good? I like the Novena, Kallang and Geylang area's as want somewhere less than 40 mins bus ride to Anson Centre, food or mall nearby.

Also, am hearing that rents are coming down. A friend of mine this month found a place advertised on propertyguru for 3,500 and managed to get the price down to 3,000. Is this the general case?

Is it possible to find a 2bedder for $3k in Novena?

by the way, Novena is near to balestier and not really near to geylang

Also, am hearing that rents are coming down. A friend of mine this month found a place advertised on propertyguru for 3,500 and managed to get the price down to 3,000. Is this the general case?
    it really depends on the condition of the unit and also the current market rental price. without the project name and the size, we cannot tell whether $3k is below market value or not.

you can take a look at ura website to check out the rental psf

You can consider Telok Kurau area, specifically those next to Changi Road, close to Kembangan MRT.
    There are numerous buses as well to bring you straight into CBD and the MRT to City Hall is 12mins.

It is a relatively peaceful, leafy area and lots of food, amenities, plus the East Coast beach is just a nice jog away.

Rentals are also pretty reasonable there and generally a nice place to chill.

Dont take my words for it, check it yourself, good luck!

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

"in Novena"? More like "near Novena"!
    Agents can even advertise "near Orchard Road"! The "near" is a 30 mins walk or 15 mins by bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy
    Is it possible to find a 2bedder for $3k in Novena?

by the way, Novena is near to balestier and not really near to geylang

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy
    it really depends on the condition of the unit and also the current market rental price. without the project name and the size, we cannot tell whether $3k is below market value or not.

you can take a look at ura website to check out the rental psf
    Thanks Rosy, do you have the link to the website?

Yeah, I know Novena is not near Geyland, was just saying its one of the areas I am looking at. Am also looking at Balestier as well.

A couple I saw which are more in Balestier and Toa Payoh are

Vetro - 3k
    Calarasi - 3.5k
    Rocca Balestier
    Sunville
    and The Mornington

Default Rental is coming down

Rental is in general coming down. Owners tend to lower the price if you can show them you have a stable job, and offer to pay rental by GIRO.

Thanks,
    Richard

Thanks for all the posts. Yeah already looked on propertyguru and iproperty. I previously lived in Pasir Panjang road. Am not looking to live directly in the CBD or Orchard Road or indeed one of the mainly Ang Moh area's.

I posted on here to get advice mainly on particular Condo's. For example, seen a condo called VETRO, any good? I like the Novena, Kallang and Geylang area's as want somewhere less than 40 mins bus ride to Anson Centre, food or mall nearby.

Newton and Novena have become "ang mo areas" in the past couple of years. And Balestier seems to be heading that direction as well.

Vetro is pretty new and it is one of those modernish kind of buildings, small pool, couple of BBQ pits, etc. Not sure if you would like that.

Is your budget strictly limited to $3000? Cuz for a few hundred dollars more a month, you could possibly get something at tanjong pagar, like the arris or emerald garden or maybe even an office-facing low floor unit at the Sail at marina bay. I may be a little outdated but these were the rents there some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Newton and Novena have become "ang mo areas" in the past couple of years. And Balestier seems to be heading that direction as well.

Vetro is pretty new and it is one of those modernish kind of buildings, small pool, couple of BBQ pits, etc. Not sure if you would like that.

Is your budget strictly limited to $3000? Cuz for a few hundred dollars more a month, you could possibly get something at tanjong pagar, like the arris or emerald garden or maybe even an office-facing low floor unit at the Sail at marina bay. I may be a little outdated but these were the rents there some time ago.
    Hi Orange, am looking for 750 sq ft + so feel i wouldnt get anything in TP or MB for my budget. I dont mind a smaller condo, sometimes they are more intimate, but ideally would like a gym, pool and preferbly a condo with a balcony

Thanks Rosy, do you have the link to the website?

Yeah, I know Novena is not near Geyland, was just saying its one of the areas I am looking at. Am also looking at Balestier as well.

A couple I saw which are more in Balestier and Toa Payoh are

Vetro - 3k
    Calarasi - 3.5k
    Rocca Balestier
    Sunville
    and The Mornington
    Dont bother about Vetro pool. Its a joke.

i just renewed one of my tenants the my rental went UP. i think it really depends on your location + condition + interiors la. i spent quite a bid in my reno and use only quality furnishings and equipment, so far so good for me.

to me $3,000pm is achievable, but probably not very 'atas' kind if u don't mind...

If you are not Singaporean, better not come here. It seems like the Singaporeans are screaming non-stop about foreigners coming here and blaming them for overcrowding. Why not stay and work in Hong Kong? Shopping there is better.

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    If you are not Singaporean, better not come here. It seems like the Singaporeans are screaming non-stop about foreigners coming here and blaming them for overcrowding. Why not stay and work in Hong Kong? Shopping there is better.
    Reuters is right, but is you are not a Hong Konger and your wife is having a dragon baby better not stay in Hong Kong.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../21/2003523771

I am one of the Singaporean that welcome foreigners, they pay my Southbank mortgage. I don't think many Singaporean is will to pay $4000 per month.

Come and behavior like a local la... No problem. If you don't come, govt will still invite others to come. Just have a super high threshold for all the ranting about foreigners...

Situation is not that bad.

Avoid certain online forum will do

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Yah Lor, not we say one. Don't believe? Look at their policy that slap you foreigners with 10% ABSD when you buy a property.

There are foreigners and then there are foreigners.

The foreigners that Singaporeans are against belong to the peasant class of the Third World like China, India and the Philippines.

Most Singaporeans still welcome foreigners from First World developed societies like the USA, UK, Australia, Japan, Continental Europe, and possibly South Korea and Hong Kong.

Humility pls

I am British, lived in Sing for 2 years already. HK for 4 years. And am not "ang moh" as in dont go to Clarke Quay partying, or Orchard. I prefer to associate with locals rather than expats hence dont like places like Holland Village.

There is quite a lot of anomosity here in Hong Kong against foreigners. The foreigners being mainland chinese. Examples like letting their children urinate against the walls inside modern malls, walking past queues and just sitting down at tables and then when they are asked to wait, pulling out their wallets full of HKD saying they could buy everyones meal in the restaurant they are so rich.

Guys, another thing I can ask. I feel its daylight robbery that I have to pay a agent fee for finding a property. Do you know any websites where owners advertise their condo's for rent directly?

Quite a few projects in balestier are nearing TOP or have just TOPed recently.

The Mezzo
    The Tier
    Nova 48
    Nova 88
    Domus

If you want "heartland" living, try Toa Payoh. Trevista has just TOPed recently and many units available for rent.

Last edited by azeoprop; 21-01-12 at 15:49.

Guys, another thing I can ask. I feel its daylight robbery that I have to pay a agent fee for finding a property. Do you know any websites where owners advertise their condo's for rent directly?
    Do you have to pay an agent to find you a property?

Why don't you phone up the people advertising in Straits Times or www.propertyguru.com.sg. They are the agents acting for the landlords. The landlords will be paying the agents. They should be able to arrange for viewings and as far as I'm aware, you are not obligated to pay them. Don't let an unscrupulous agent con you into paying them when they are already collecting the fee from the landlord. You should only pay if you appoint an agent to source the properties and arrange the viewings for you.

Saw an advert for Rafflesia condo in propertyguru asking rent $3500. You may be able to bargain it down. It's a good location, walking distance to 2 MRT stations (Marymount and Bishan). Shopping mall at Bishan MRT. Greenery readily accessible (Bishan Park, MacRitchie, Lower Pierce Reservoir). In my opinion better ambience for a young family compared to Balestier, Geyland.....

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...afflesia-condo

Seriously, don't come to Singapore if you are a foreigner. There is no end to the questions on foreign policy at least for the next 5 years. First they ask how many foreigners are taking up university places when they know these universities are international in nature and attract the best from all over the world. Then they want to know how many are buying up the properties, so they slap them with an additional 10% stamp duty to differentiate them from the Singaporeans. Who knows? Foreign tenants may have to pay an additional rental duty soon or be taxed for renting apartments. Some Singaporeans may welcome foreigners but the overall picture now isn't really showing that!