Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Selection of which ID to engage

Default Selection of which ID to engage

Bros and Sistas,
    How do you choose which ID company to engage?
    How do you protect yourself from being overcharged / delayed?
    How do you bargain?

As i understand, the ID companies will request for a downpayment for them to start on 3D design which ranges from S$800~S$2,000. But what if they fail to design to your liking, do you get back the full refund? Or another scenario, they fail to complete the reno work on time, do you make them pay for the delays?? It could also be the rectification job in your unit wasn't complete or done, do you make them pay for the delays??

Pls share your information and opinions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mygeemeel
    Bros and Sistas,
    How do you bargain?

As i understand, the ID companies will request for a downpayment for them to start on 3D design which ranges from S$800~S$2,000. But what if they fail to design to your liking, do you get back the full refund? Or another scenario, they fail to complete the reno work on time, do you make them pay for the delays?? It could also be the rectification job in your unit wasn't complete or done, do you make them pay for the delays??

Selection of which ID to engage:

It is depressing to see such poorly written english in Singapore. The country has gone to the dogs language wise.

before you accuse me of fastidious sensitivities, let me just say that when I first arrived in Singapore in 1996, the proficiency of english was bad, not it has never been this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad

It is depressing to see such poorly written english in Singapore. The country has gone to the dogs language wise.

before you accuse me of fastidious sensitivities, let me just say that when I first arrived in Singapore in 1996, the proficiency of english was bad, not it has never been this bad.
    No problem sir. I am a rag and bone man with little education. If i had another chance of being young, i would study hard but with little money from my parents, i had to give up school to work at a tender age. Now i am working at my own pace because i have fully paid properties in OCR, RCR and CCR in Singapore, and industrial properties.

Well, this is not British Council so please pardon my level of English.

can you provide a corrected version so that TS can improve his English?

Why are you so concerned with the use of written English in a forum which does not pay as much attention to English as it does properties? Some individuals here are not local anyway so what made you think that mygeemeel is a Singaporean? Cheers!

I'm sure where you came from, not everyone speaks and write well.

Bros and Sistas,
    How do you bargain?

I suspect that the downpayment is a normal procedure. It is usually about 10% to 20% of the expected renovation cost. The ID companies need some form of assurance for the efforts they have invested in churning out the 3D prints for your renovation. As a general rule of thumb, I will only sign with the companies after I've viewed their workmanship and craftworks. I'll go down to visit their completed projects.

Should they fail to complete the reno work within the stipulated time, the ID companies are liable for compensation charges. These compensation details should be clearly stated in the contract. If not, demand that the companies include it in the contract. As much as the companies need some form of assurance from us the clients, we also need some form of assurance from them.

Many thanks for the support. KNN, I'm sure he meant well by pointing out that I have poor English Proficiency. Opps, sorry if i used KNN in my mixed British English. (If i had better education, i wouldn't be a rag and bone man. I would have f**king own a recycling conglomerate).

Back to my earlier query for advice or is it supposed to be advise?

I am considering whether to engage ID company to do up another unit of mine. My previous units don't come with any ID since they were either for my family or rented out. Please give me your opinions and what to be wary of. The last thing i want is a half done place at unreasonable price compared to other IDs. Many thanks in advance.

You are a champ!

I wonder if you could rank your top 1-3 or even 1-5.
    I am mulling (good or not my England?) about doing some ID for my own unit.

Many thanks for the support. KNN, I'm sure he meant well by pointing out that I have poor English Proficiency. Opps, sorry if i used KNN in my mixed British English. (If i had better education, i wouldn't be a rag and bone man. I would have f**king own a recycling conglomerate).

I am considering whether to engage ID company to do up another unit of mine. My previous units don't come with any ID since they were either for my family or rented out. Please give me your opinions and what to be wary of. The last thing i want is a half done place at unreasonable price compared to other IDs. Many thanks in advance.

Advise is a verb so you should use advice.

Well just my 2 cents worth of opinion. If your unit is for rental, it should be done up reasonably but engaging an ID to do it might not be prudent coz its slightly more expensive. Then again I'm quite a hands on person and I personally enjoy doing ID myself so its my ID brain speaking here. However if you are void of ideas, then you might need to spend a little more on ID. Also, if the unit is to be sold, my limited experience suggests that a nicely done up unit commands a higher asking price so you must consider if the higher asking price covers the cost of renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    I suspect that the downpayment is a normal procedure. It is usually about 10% to 20% of the expected renovation cost. The ID companies need some form of assurance for the efforts they have invested in churning out the 3D prints for your renovation. As a general rule of thumb, I will only sign with the companies after I've viewed their workmanship and craftworks. I'll go down to visit their completed projects.

Should they fail to complete the reno work within the stipulated time, the ID companies are liable for compensation charges. These compensation details should be clearly stated in the contract. If not, demand that the companies include it in the contract. As much as the companies need some form of assurance from us the clients, we also need some form of assurance from them.
    Good information. Many thanks.

I had asked for compensation for late delivery. They initially commited 5% which i thought was too low. For example, it would only cost them S$2,500 compensation for a S$50,000 job. No big deal for them to absorb if i am assuming their margin is 30%?

They may consider the costs of coming over and over again to rectify the problems against forgoing S$2,500.

Another point for consideration... they could always add the S$2,500 into the original quotation to safe guard themselves.

I am unsure of how other IDs operate. If the payment term given to us is on a progressive payment term, then there is little or nothing much left to hold them back for unfulfilled scope of works? Any other bros with experience to share?

Real moronic dog

Some ID companies are experts in pushing the blame for their late completion of work onto the owners, citing examples to vindicate their stand. As such, it is vitally important that owners make those special efforts to visit the unit during the course of the renovation. This would then ensure that these ID companies do not turn around and create some ungrounded stories to justify their lateness. They may say something that you cannot verify unless you were there during the renovation process. Also, your presence at the site is crucial to quickly rectify any mistakes the workers make or any misinterpretations of what you've originally wanted. Hmmm...

Advise is a verb so you should use advice.

Well just my 2 cents worth of opinion. If your unit is for rental, it should be done up reasonably but engaging an ID to do it might not be prudent coz its slightly more expensive. Then again I'm quite a hands on person and I personally enjoy doing ID myself so its my ID brain speaking here. However if you are void of ideas, then you might need to spend a little more on ID. Also, if the unit is to be sold, my limited experience suggests that a nicely done up unit commands a higher asking price so you must consider if the higher asking price covers the cost of renovation.
    Thanks or your advice. Good point. I had thought of finding my own contractor too but unfortunately, i do not have any good contacts to begin with.

I was thinking if it would be worth it (assuming their mark up is S$15,000) having an ID company be responsible for my unit. Or save on the S$15,000 and enjoy the process. Sekali i become pro at doing it and may end up being a main-con myself.

To answer your question, i would like to do up this unit to stay in after checking out all the nice showflats. My current place is more of a dump (imagine... no ID, alot of thrash and rubbish, poor lighting).

If u have time n contacts in the reno inducstry, try n be your own ID. I have been doing it on my own for the previous and current roofs over my head and will continue to do so.

No offence to any ID here. IMO, ID work always 'ho kua, bo ho jiak' (direct translation: good to look at, no good to eat) - nice enough to admire and go 'wah!!!' but seldom practical enough to use for long period or requires high maintenance.

i belong to the new gen call Gen Y. so my england is exactly like sms format when posting in forum.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    hmm actually his own sentence construct also sounds abit off... fastidious and sensitivity have the same meaning... it's like saying "Mary is having a sad depression". Or maybe can use fastidiousness as a noun instead of adjective then noun.

unless sensitivity is to be interpreted as predeposition?

Anyway, my english is not pow-derful too... this is just my

Bros and Sistas,
    How do you bargain?

I'm not an expert but this is what I'll do.

Pay for the 3D design? Ignore them if they as you to pay. Move on to another ID. If they want your business, they should give you an initial 3D design to start the discussion.

Always get at least 3 to 5 ID quotations to compare price. Ask them to come down to your place before giving quotation. Challenge them with some of your ideas and see if they know their stuffs well. Observe their punctuality, their behaviour, whether professional or not. If ah beng behavior and yaya type, ignore them. If keep changing your appointment or cannot make it but didn't inform you, ignore them.

It's also very important that you as an owner must know what you want to do with your place. Add one wall partition here, a TV wall feature, move the cable TV point, etc. This will give them an impression that you have some experience and don't dare to overcharge. Also the Theme of the renovation? Zen, modern, euro, etc so that the ID can cater for your needs. A creative ID will be able to give you suggestion which you don't usually think of. A good ID will want to design your place as if it's their house and feel proud of it at the end. You will be able to tell if they just want to earn your money, do a normal job and get the job done or seriously treating it as an art.

Note that a very often used tatics by ID is quoting you something based on a certain brand and say you can select any color, pattern or design. But usually very limited in selection. When you want something beyond that, it's another cost. Just beware. It's good that you go down to their showroom and ask them to show you what they are providing. This allows you to see the quality of the materials they are providing. Otherwise, they will chop you into pieces after you award to them without knowing what they provide.

Make sure they provide a detailed breakdown of the quotation and explain clearly each means. If something is missed out, make sure it's added it. Verbal agreement is useless after you sign on the dotted line. You'll end up paying more if you trust verbal promise.

Thanks or your advice. Good point. I had thought of finding my own contractor too but unfortunately, i do not have any good contacts to begin with.

I was thinking if it would be worth it (assuming their mark up is S$15,000) having an ID company be responsible for my unit. Or save on the S$15,000 and enjoy the process. Sekali i become pro at doing it and may end up being a main-con myself.

To answer your question, i would like to do up this unit to stay in after checking out all the nice showflats. My current place is more of a dump (imagine... no ID, alot of thrash and rubbish, poor lighting).
    I dun think their mark up is so much... my previous ID only charged me $30k to do whole house flooring, dining area feature wall, kitchen cabinet,painting, shoe cabinet, wall hacking, doors etc and throw in system 4 aircon. haha Mine was a brand new 5rm HDB.

And she did everything within 2 months all swee swee and I didnt supervise too.

But other stuff like purchase of lightings, electrician etc I liaise with them directly myself to save $$

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Break into schedules/milestones lor . E.g. full renovation:
    1) Downpayment - 10%
    2) Hacking & wet work / tiling etc - 20%
    3) Plumbing, WC, bath etc installation - 20%
    4) Cabinet work - 20%
    5) Electrical works - 10%
    6) Wallpapers / painting etc all done - 10%
    7) After 1 month all done & no defects - 10%

Above is just a rough guide. You can have any combination etc but make sure don't pay more for each stage than necessary otherwise they collect 20% instalment and can run away do nothing more!
    Make sure they provide 1 year warranty.
    However, all warranty is useless unless you get a trust-worthy ID.

Good information. Many thanks.

I had asked for compensation for late delivery. They initially commited 5% which i thought was too low. For example, it would only cost them S$2,500 compensation for a S$50,000 job. No big deal for them to absorb if i am assuming their margin is 30%?

They may consider the costs of coming over and over again to rectify the problems against forgoing S$2,500.

Another point for consideration... they could always add the S$2,500 into the original quotation to safe guard themselves.

I am unsure of how other IDs operate. If the payment term given to us is on a progressive payment term, then there is little or nothing much left to hold them back for unfulfilled scope of works? Any other bros with experience to share?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Break into schedules/milestones lor . E.g. full renovation:
    1) Downpayment - 10%
    2) Hacking & wet work / tiling etc - 20%
    3) Plumbing, WC, bath etc installation - 20%
    4) Cabinet work - 20%
    5) Electrical works - 10%
    6) Wallpapers / painting etc all done - 10%
    7) After 1 month all done & no defects - 10%

Above is just a rough guide. You can have any combination etc but make sure don't pay more for each stage than necessary otherwise they collect 20% instalment and can run away do nothing more!
    yes, trust worthy ID is very important... some ID companies provide 5 years warranty

Why still stay in Singapore?

You should just go elsewhere since you already know the standard of Singlish here. You so poor thing lah. Have to listen and endure our Singlish for the last 16 years. Life must be very miserable for you. By the way, we love Singlish and will continue to use it in this forum.

Oh, maybe I've mistaken. Since you've stay here for 16 yrs, you must have adjusted and love our Singlish liao. Bely good leh.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear

Therein lies that intricate balance to find one that is trustworthy and cheap. If very trustworthy, its usually more expensive... if its too cheap, we cannot expect that same degree of trustworthiness... (or can we?) No offense to IDs here...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

If the ID is cheaper than a mere plain vanilla renovation company or cheapest of all IDs, usually ...mmm... you know lah!

However, similar analogy cannot be used for new launch vs resale property (because T&Cs are different)!

Therein lies that intricate balance to find one that is trustworthy and cheap. If very trustworthy, its usually more expensive... if its too cheap, we cannot expect that same degree of trustworthiness... (or can we?) No offense to IDs here...

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    "anyone knows a good ID?" would be good enough. I am not a school teacher. but I am against this "cold bloody murder of the english tongue", which is everywhere, including the major newspapers.

Very good information here. Many thanks to all advices.

Keep posting your experiences and how to avoid pitfalls. It is the first time I am getting an ID to do up my unit. Hope it would be smooth sailing and not kena chop carrot head. CCB, i have problem writing good English. Si beh paiseh.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Why still stay in Singapore?

You should just go elsewhere since you already know the standard of Singlish here. You so poor thing lah. Have to listen and endure our Singlish for the last 16 years. Life must be very miserable for you. By the way, we love Singlish and will continue to use it in this forum.

Oh, maybe I've mistaken. Since you've stay here for 16 yrs, you must have adjusted and love our Singlish liao. Bely good leh.
    cannot adjust lah!!!

"anyone knows a good ID?" would be good enough. I am not a school teacher. but I am against this "cold bloody murder of the english tongue", which is everywhere, including the major newspapers.
    y so serious? life is tough enuf. m sure ppl know when to switch to good english when required. chill!

Quote Originally Posted by 5577
    y so serious? life is tough enuf. m sure ppl know when to switch to good english when required. chill!
    I don't think so. it is not singlish. It is "thinking in chinese, but writing in english"-ism. people who speak singlish don't have that problem.

You could send me a PM to teach me where my mistakes were instead of displaying your frustration in public. Having good education is one thing, knowing how to behave and respecting others is more important.

Can moderator help me change the topic to 'How to be careful when getting an ID?' Since this is what i want to know. I don't want to know which ID is good.

(Someone sent me a PM. He wanted me to post this to suan those who gei kiang).

You could send me a PM to teach me where my mistakes were instead of displaying your frustration in public. Having good education is one thing, knowing how to behave and respecting others is more important.

Can moderator help me change the topic to 'How to be careful when getting an ID?' Since this is what i want to know. I don't want to know which ID is good.

(Someone sent me a PM. He wanted me to post this to suan those who gei kiang).
    How to be careful? now that is truly hilarious. but I will try not to laugh too loud lest I disturb my neighbors.