Thread: Fixing toilet water tap

Default Fixing toilet water tap

Hi

Need help here, was quoted $300 to change a water tap (cold to hot) after my tenant complained leaking.

Anyone got advise ?

Attempted Carrot-top.
    GEt you your agent to control cost.
    No agent? Call your own plumber - he calls you on costing - and you approve the change. You pay only the excess as defined by the TA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    Hi

Need help here, was quoted $300 to change a water tap (cold to hot) after my tenant complained leaking.

Anyone got advise ?

thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    Attempted Carrot-top.
    GEt you your agent to control cost.
    No agent? Call your own plumber - he calls you on costing - and you approve the change. You pay only the excess as defined by the TA.
    bro, what is Carrot-top ?

bro, what is Carrot-top ?
    Dear sister Lovelle! so happy you ask for answer here

I am glad the kind brother gn108 had enligthened your wisdom .

allow your handsome brother to answer the definition part.

when a housewife chop a carrot, usually she will chop off more than necessary, a rather huge portion of the carrot. Hence the term carrot top refers to someone who is being over charged than necessary by unscrupulous human beings lor.....hehehheheheheh

Hi

Anyone got advise ?
    Make friend with condo technician
    Asked them help to fix and any other DIY job for a appreciation fee.
    I normally do that.
    And fixing the tap cost me less then 100 (tap plus labour)

Hi

Anyone got advise ?
    If your condo is in hdb town, try buying from the hardware store in same neighbourhood. ask if they can fix for you at lower labour cost. Usually a friendly store tends to help for repeat businesses.

thanks for all the tips. my neighbour intro a plumber who charged half of that.

I wonder why water tap so expensive, plumber said, it's the hot/cold water tap not the hdb type.

if we own the sail or any high end condo. maybe $500 quotation in future.

$300! OMG ! Are you referring to the one with the mixer?
    Lucky you never hire that plumber!
    I had the similar problem few months ago and I went to a shop to buy the tap and the shop owner quoted me $120 for tap and fixing it.
    The shop is near my place.

Tap only cost about $75 to $80.

wah, everybody's earning per hour so high.
    i was thinking if monthly salary is 10000/mth, then earning per hour is 10000/25days/8hours = $50. how many hours does it take to change the tap?

unless salary $50k a month, won't you rather fix the tap yourself rather than get a plumber?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    wah, everybody's earning per hour so high.
    i was thinking if monthly salary is 10000/mth, then earning per hour is 10000/25days/8hours = $50. how many hours does it take to change the tap?

unless salary $50k a month, won't you rather fix the tap yourself rather than get a plumber?
    The problem is I dunno how to change this type of tap with mixer, so better get someone to do it.

eventually everyone needs to be a handyman

3 weeks ago, our toilet flushing system leaked. u can see the whole trail of water leaking from the cistern directly into the toilet bowl 24/7 so u can imagine the amt of water wastage

hubby wasn't sure exactly how to fix it so we went to the neighbourhood hardware shop & "consulted" the folks there. they knew what went wrong the moment we described the symptoms and recommended that we buy new parts to replace. when hubby expressed his doubts that he would be able to fix it adequately, he was assured that it was very easy and the bloke even demo to him using a dummy sitting toiletbowl in a corner of the shop. worst case scenario we can call him in for $35. we spent abt $40 on the parts. in the end, hubby was able to do it coz of the demo & instruction he got FOC at the shop.

I shudder to think how much a plumber would charge us if we were to call one in.......

hence i agree that one should try talking to your neighbourhood hardware shop in case there is a cheaper option than calling in the plumber. There was once I called in an electrician to change a burnt power point in my kitchen. the plug of my dryer was fused to it coz of the heat. the electrician tried to persuade me to "repair" my toiletbowl after he geh kiang went to "inspect" it without me asking.

another time, I called in the aircon man to service my aircon & top up gas. he also geh kiang went to check out my toiletbowl & made the same recommendation!

now finally I know why they are so keen to repair my toiletbowl.......it's damn easy and they would have made a huge profit with their exhorbitant rates!

assuming your basin isn't complicated, you can change the tap yourself and a simple tap only cost less than $20. If you buy a nice one, maybe $150.

ha.

Many years ago, a toy dropped into the drainage of the shower well.
    So being young and innocent i called a plumber from the newspaper ad. He came and used a tube to suck out the toy and sucked $150 from me!

One thing I regretted was to have a built-in concealed flushing system. Looked nice when it was installed but when we ran into problems, it seemed nobody knew how to repair it. Many plumbers that came didn't even know how to remove the cover... one even nearly broke it while trying to do so.

At that time contractor said don't worry because the brand (Gerberit) was very reliable and won't break down, can "gar gar" install. But of course, any mechanical thing has a risk of breaking down.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    3 weeks ago, our toilet flushing system leaked. u can see the whole trail of water leaking from the cistern directly into the toilet bowl 24/7 so u can imagine the amt of water wastage

hubby wasn't sure exactly how to fix it so we went to the neighbourhood hardware shop & "consulted" the folks there. they knew what went wrong the moment we described the symptoms and recommended that we buy new parts to replace. when hubby expressed his doubts that he would be able to fix it adequately, he was assured that it was very easy and the bloke even demo to him using a dummy sitting toiletbowl in a corner of the shop. worst case scenario we can call him in for $35. we spent abt $40 on the parts. in the end, hubby was able to do it coz of the demo & instruction he got FOC at the shop.

I shudder to think how much a plumber would charge us if we were to call one in.......

hence i agree that one should try talking to your neighbourhood hardware shop in case there is a cheaper option than calling in the plumber. There was once I called in an electrician to change a burnt power point in my kitchen. the plug of my dryer was fused to it coz of the heat. the electrician tried to persuade me to "repair" my toiletbowl after he geh kiang went to "inspect" it without me asking.

another time, I called in the aircon man to service my aircon & top up gas. he also geh kiang went to check out my toiletbowl & made the same recommendation!

now finally I know why they are so keen to repair my toiletbowl.......it's damn easy and they would have made a huge profit with their exhorbitant rates!

jialat , another development i bought has this concealed flushing water.

but look really nice. Think must up the liability in the TA next time

Please take note that it is now the trend to have concealed cistern (gerberit) and for the non-concealed ones the water inlet is from the back of the cistern directly into the tank. The water inlet from the back can be a problem for maintenance as you will need to remove the entire WC including the pedestal/bottom part if in the future you have any problem with the inlet or flush mechanism. My contractor recommended me the old-fashioned type of inlet which is from a pipe on the side. So if in future there is any problem, you can easily change the pipe or flushing mechanism without having to take out the whole toilet. But it seems this side pipe inlet is not popular these days because everybody wants to have less pipes visible.

The moral of the story is....the more concealed parts you have in your sanitary ware, the more headache when in future you need to do repairs....