Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Differences between Terrace and Cluster house (terrace) and Townhouse

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    If the ownership is share-based, then you don't own the land.
    You do not own the sole right to the piece of land your unit stands on.

However, you do own your fair share of the entire estate's land.

Hope this clarifies.

Quote Originally Posted by orange
    You do not own the sole right to the piece of land your unit stands on.

However, you do own your fair share of the entire estate's land.

Hope this clarifies.
    What you described is no different from owning a condo or apartment... which is what strata title is about. Because the land is collectively owned, you can't decide what windows you like to put up or what colour to paint your unit.

This is a very distinct difference.

You can design your own house. This is the greatest satisfaction of being a land owner.
    What you described is no different from owning a condo or apartment... which is what strata title is about. Because the land is collectively owned, you can't decide what windows you like to put up or what colour to paint your unit.

Terrace also means that you may be subjected to the whims and fancies of your neighbour's renovations and A&A. Imagine getting cracks on walls and ceilings because of what your neighbour are doing.

Personally, I dislike the non-uniform look of houses that are lined up together and share common walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleur
    Terrace also means that you may be subjected to the whims and fancies of your neighbour's renovations and A&A. Imagine getting cracks on walls and ceilings because of what your neighbour are doing.

Personally, I dislike the non-uniform look of houses that are lined up together and share common walls.
    True, but at least there is a choice and the land owner can decide what he/she wants to do with the land. Compared to cluster housing, the unit owner does not have that freedom.

True, but at least there is a choice and the land owner can decide what he/she wants to do with the land. Compared to cluster housing, the unit owner does not have that freedom.
    Seriously, many terraces are simply too small to do much with the land. For true luxury and joy of living, one should just get a bungalow.

Seriously, many terraces are simply too small to do much with the land. For true luxury and joy of living, one should just get a bungalow.
    Of course a bungalow would be ideal, but at what price?

Btw, you may be surprised with what they can do with only 1600sqft footprint of land.

Of course a bungalow would be ideal, but at what price?

Btw, you may be surprised with what they can do with only 1600sqft footprint of land.
    Build vertically upwards lor and park second car outside every night and risk getting parking summon every day.

Build vertically upwards lor and park second car outside every night and risk getting parking summon every day.
    Well... it depends on what kind of road markings you have outside your house. As long as there is no double yellow or continuos white in the middle you can park.

I think this is the case for most landed properties. Unfortunately a lot corner terraces usually have double yellow when they are situated round the bend.

The problem I find is when "chao kuan" landed owners who own 2 or more cars but park them both outside instead of at least one in their porch.

I thought i was sure i can differentiate what is terrace, townhouse and clusterhouse. But after reading 30+ posts, i think i am super confused already.

Well... it depends on what kind of road markings you have outside your house. As long as there is no double yellow or continuos white in the middle you can park.

I think this is the case for most landed properties. Unfortunately a lot corner terraces usually have double yellow when they are situated round the bend.

The problem I find is when "chao kuan" landed owners who own 2 or more cars but park them both outside instead of at least one in their porch.
    So, then again, cluster houses don't really have parking problems, cos they have basement parking and can park 2 cars per household easily!

Quote Originally Posted by mygeemeel
    I thought i was sure i can differentiate what is terrace, townhouse and clusterhouse. But after reading 30+ posts, i think i am super confused already.
    Very easy. Common boundary = townhouse or cluster house (means same thing). In some countries such as HK, they prefer to use the term, "townhouse". They share the land and facilities. "Cluster house" seems to be a more Singaporean term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_house
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townhouse

One perimeter/ fence per house = terrace, semi-d or bungalow.

So, then again, cluster houses don't really have parking problems, cos they have basement parking and can park 2 cars per household easily!
    Well it depends... the parking situation varies from estate to estate in landed properties. The same can be said for cluster housing as well bcoz not all cluster housing caters for 2 car park spaces. There are also "chao kuan" cluster home owners that use their allocated parking slot beneath their unit as a kind of storage area but park in the visitor slots instead.

Obviously you are not a fan of landed and I am not trying to change your mind. There are advantages and disadvantages for either type of dwelling.

Also don't forget because it is strata title there is maintenance and sinking fund to be paid.

Well it depends... the parking situation varies from estate to estate in landed properties. The same can be said for cluster housing as well bcoz not all cluster housing caters for 2 car park spaces. There are also "chao kuan" cluster home owners that use their allocated parking slot beneath their unit as a kind of storage area but park in the visitor slots instead.

Obviously you are not a fan of landed and I am not trying to change your mind. There are advantages and disadvantages for either type of dwelling.

Also don't forget because it is strata title there is maintenance and sinking fund to be paid.
    Oh so true... cluster houses... if neighbor don't drive, they park their cars at neighbor's lots and use their own lots as playing spaces for their kids to cycle, etc...

You are right. I am not a fan of messy-looking facades.

What you described is no different from owning a condo or apartment... which is what strata title is about.
    I have never disputed that.

Never disputed that as well.

But the statement "you do not own the land" is technically and fundamentally wrong.

How to get cracklines when each landed propertyhas their own foundations. This can be a real problem with condos & cluster housings.

Quote Originally Posted by orange
    I have never disputed that.

Never disputed that as well.

But the statement "you do not own the land" is technically and fundamentally wrong.
    Dear sir,

You are mistaken. Please think about it.

Since you don't dispute that the strata title for private apartments and condos are the same strata title as cluster housing, then what you are also saying is that private apts/condos also own the land, does that sound right to you?

If you have bought a cluster housing and think that you own the land then you may have misunderstood the meaning of strata title. You are fooling yourself.

strata titled - common land ownership amongst all strata titled owners, no extensive a&a works allowed * add floors, change facade *. This includes cluster houses, townhouses etc.

landed - you own the land title deed. can do any a&a works up to as permitted by ura plot ratio limitations, bca construction regulations etc. * add floors, change facade etc no prob *

thats my take!

Hi anyone knows what's the maintenance fee for cluster terrace like for eg the one in lynnsville as compared to us maintaining a landed terrace ourselves? I prefer cluster terrace due to uniformed look + I don't like noise and dust in case
    Neighbor do major A&A

Quote Originally Posted by bigapplefan
    Hi anyone knows what's the maintenance fee for cluster terrace like for eg the one in lynnsville as compared to us maintaining a landed terrace ourselves? I prefer cluster terrace due to uniformed look + I don't like noise and dust in case
    Neighbor do major A&A
    other than the monthly maintenance, anything else? I also want to know....

Quote Originally Posted by lajia
    Townhouse got a lot staircases, which my weak knees cannot take

I wonder whether the smaller cluster house development got MCST?
    Who will decide on the maintenance fees, who collects it and run the estate?
    Also in small development, just hope for nice and considerate neighbours.
    If ever you have to vote for something, relationship may turn sour among the differing parties and that will make life difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Townhouse got a lot staircases, which my weak knees cannot take
    the bedrooms are divided into diff levels and that give certain level of privacy as compared to condo. and if you treasure the impt of exercise, you will love to climb those stairs.... i think its a very good form of exercise

the bedrooms are divided into diff levels and that give certain level of privacy as compared to condo. and if you treasure the impt of exercise, you will love to climb those stairs.... i think its a very good form of exercise
    When young, it is ok.
    Wait till old, then knees will give problem.

I love to exercise, but I believe exercise should be recreational.

I find that a lot of u guys don't like cluster house...I hope I don't make a wrong decision into it.

I find that a lot of u guys don't like cluster house...I hope I don't make a wrong decision into it.
    I used to stay in horizon green a cluster house with my parents. Now I stay near lentor, a terrace house.

To me both has advantages...

Cluster Pros
    1) facilities. This is is obvious but I think one should get cluster houses with a large number of units. If there number of units are very small, I think you lose the freedom to modify your house and yet do not gain much in economies of scale....

2) I REALLY like stepping outside into a normal walkway + swimming pool at ground level. Parking is underground and out of the way. This is a major plus for me to be able to take walks/jobs without fighting with road traffic.

3) security and gated entrance.

Terrace Pros
    1) bigger land area and the ability to modify your place to suite your liking.
    2) no maintenance fees.
    3) my place is relatively new with small land size so there is zero rebuilts. Some minor A&A but the estate still looks pretty uniform and neat. Comes with lots of playground and parks in lentor with wide roads. Overall it feels less densely populated than cluster housing.