Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landed vs Condo

Default Landed vs Condo

condo - swimming pool & gym..
    Landed - no swimming pool and i read that it is hot living in one if you do not turn on air-con for the whole day..

care to share your view?

Landed - you own the land but condo is a strata title. Landed - you can redesign and rebuild your house but not a condo. Landed - you do not pay maintenance fee like condo. Landed - There is limited landed properties compared to condos.
    Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    Landed - no swimming pool and i read that it is hot living in one if you do not turn on air-con for the whole day..

care to share your view?

[QUOTE=roly8]condo - swimming pool & gym..

Condo Pay maintenance fee, enjoy facilities, security etc
    Landed Repair maintenance at your own , fight over parking usually the root of conflict, BBQ can setup any time, foot can step on soil... Hot day depend on facing and configuration , blockage etc...

End if the day look at annual valuation , tax high also . If is rental ,is 10% .. Occupant is lesser

Old landed when neighbour tear down may result in cracks on your walls.

Just claim against your neighbours if it happens. Condo has similar problem when upstairs renovate their houses, especially floor tiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by kane

Can ah? But what water seepages that surface after 1-2 years?

Annual value for condo tend to be higher than landed.

[quote=zzz1]

Condo Pay maintenance fee, enjoy facilities, security etc
    Landed Repair maintenance at your own , fight over parking usually the root of conflict, BBQ can setup any time, foot can step on soil... Hot day depend on facing and configuration , blockage etc...

End if the day look at annual valuation , tax high also . If is rental ,is 10% .. Occupant is lesser

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Annual value for condo tend to be higher than landed.
    REALLY?!! you pay more tax having condo then?

landed's rental seem much higher than condo...thus shouldn't be landed's AV should be higher than condo instead?

Not wrong! NAV is higher for condo than landed.

landed's rental seem much higher than condo...thus shouldn't be landed's AV should be higher than condo instead?

Such scale of renovation usually insured... even if not, owner doing renovation is still liable and can be claimed against accordingly. Liability period is same as the constucted neighbour.. ie. 1 year after completion. Beyond 1 year would be wear and tear.

Just monitor your unit during the rebuilding and highlight to the builder if anything is amiss. If they don't honour the rectification they can be reported to BCA.

Don't forget this is applicable to all land owners meaning that you may be the one tearing down your house to rebuild.

Just look for your neighbour as long as they are still around.
    Can ah? But what water seepages that surface after 1-2 years?

I heard that the utilities charges in the landed properties can be very high. Want to check whether this is true? If it is, what is the normal amount per month for a family with four members? Of course it depends very much on the usage. But I get the impression that it is very much higher than those who live in condo/apartments/flats.

I think landed's rental (and therfore NAV) is generally lower than condo.

btw, this is just my own experience, my NAV for the landed that I am staying in has never been higher than the NAVs of the condos that I have been renting out.

However, it is possible that my landed is not in as prime an area as my condos and thus the rentals are lower. So maybe the comparison is not fair.

A better comparison would be a landed NAV in say Bukit Timah and the a condo right beside it. Maybe some other forummers in such a situation can comment better.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxcatdog
    I heard that the utilities charges in the landed properties can be very high. Want to check whether this is true? If it is, what is the normal amount per month for a family with four members? Of course it depends very much on the usage. But I get the impression that it is very much higher than those who live in condo/apartments/flats.
    In general that happens to be true. However, the space you are dealing with is also larger... meaning more areas to illuminate, wash or cool (if aircon is used).

However, if you count usage per square feet, I would think the utilities charge rate is about the same or even lower. For example, I used to pay $250+ while staying in a 1400+ sqft condo but now in a landed space of nearly 3000sqft I just pay barely over $350+. I have doubled my area but have not doubled the utiliies bill.

One of the things that I did away with was a koi pond that incurred more expense than pleasure or aesthetic that I can derive from. I think if I had retained it, it would burn a big hole in my utilities bill.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Not wrong! NAV is higher for condo than landed.
    yup. I think NAV is lower for landed too.

I also don't know why. Maybe not many units rented out so the rental data is outdated?

My current place has a very low NAV.

for me it is roughly the same... I think it all depends on your lifestyle.

There is only 3 of us so we usually spent most of our time in the ground floor family room which is small as easy to aircon.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Because landed rental $PSF very poor. Assume same size property, landed has much lower rental hence lower NAV.

Assuming they are side by side, the landed rental $PSF pm can be as much as 50% lower! This could be because nowsdays family size are small and doesn't require as big space, and hence beyond a certain size there is no extra value you can expect tenants to pay? Obviously too small also cannot lah!

I think landed's rental (and therfore NAV) is generally lower than condo.

btw, this is just my own experience, my NAV for the landed that I am staying in has never been higher than the NAVs of the condos that I have been renting out.

However, it is possible that my landed is not in as prime an area as my condos and thus the rentals are lower. So maybe the comparison is not fair.

A better comparison would be a landed NAV in say Bukit Timah and the a condo right beside it. Maybe some other forummers in such a situation can comment better.

Makes sense I guess.... something like law of diminishing returns? ....haha

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Assuming they are side by side, the landed rental $PSF pm can be as much as 50% lower! This could be because nowsdays family size are small and doesn't require as big space, and hence beyond a certain size there is no extra value you can expect tenants to pay? Obviously too small also cannot lah!

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Just claim against your neighbours if it happens. Condo has similar problem when upstairs renovate their houses, especially floor tiles.
    Request for a join inspection , take photo on existing condition. That protect ...

landed and condo for my family of four same...$200plus in my previous condo now also $200plus Per mth in landed...i was also worried when i move in but seems like so far so good...

Because landed rental $PSF very poor. Assume same size property, landed has much lower rental hence lower NAV.
    yup rental very LOW i pay same price for 4k sq feet landed as i would for 1.5k sq feet condo...wonder why

I always like to own a landed. But wife worried about rats, roaches, mozzies... anyway, price is always an issue.

Angry

care to share your view?
    Have lived in landed for 18 years. We don't use air-con. However our house is not close to neighbours. In fact we only have neighbour on one side as the house is the last one on that road.

Quote Originally Posted by stiook
    I always like to own a landed. But wife worried about rats, roaches, mozzies... anyway, price is always an issue.
    Mozzies depends on the area you live in, some areas are more prone than others. in an affected areas, even high rise housing is affected.

As for the rest of the pests, that's where the money you would have otherwise saved on condo maintenance go to. Pest control companies can be engad to manage it. In Singapore it is seldom a problem.

Hah? As far as I know, pests are always a problem and you just can't seem to get rid of them in landed! You can eradicate termites? You can eradicate rats? You can eradicate mosquitoes? The answer is obvious: NO. They keep coming..... Whatever pest control is useless!

Mozzies depends on the area you live in, some areas are more prone than others. in an affected areas, even high rise housing is affected.

As for the rest of the pests, that's where the money you would have otherwise saved on condo maintenance go to. Pest control companies can be engad to manage it. In Singapore it is seldom a problem.

Becos got long driveway plus garden and of course larger room and toilets. That is why minimum size of investment is two bedders. MM units are really small. Can be equivalent to the living room of landed property. That could be the size of my

Then I must be very lucky I don't have any of these problems.

Hah? As far as I know, pests are always a problem and you just can't seem to get rid of them in landed! You can eradicate termites? You can eradicate rats? You can eradicate mosquitoes? The answer is obvious: NO. They keep coming..... Whatever pest control is useless!

Is the NAV for landed calculated based on land size or the built-up. That could be a reason for difference between landed and condo. I guess NAV for landed built up to 3 storey and with basement should be higher than condo in same area. Just my wild guess .

I agree with teddybear. You can do pest control in your house but not your whole neighbourhood. Pests come and go (just like uninvited visitors ), they usually dont stay with you.

Then I must be very lucky I don't have any of these problems.