Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Promenade @ Pelikat (Former Pelikat mansion)

Quote Originally Posted by price
    From my understanding, the multiple purchases were only a few. so most units are single owners and the size of a mama shop / money changer.

As a property investor, u may see capital gains. but as a landlord / shop owner, it can be quite bad.
    That I somewhat agree!

It will be be interesting to see how the mall will develop, or move towards demise.

Perhaps owners here can give some hints as to what are their business models, or suggest how to make this mall work. They are the major stakeholders. The resi owners are less affected, especially if it is for investment.

It looks like the mall area will not be fully enclosed or aircon, my understanding correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanarazu
    It looks like the mall area will not be fully enclosed or aircon, my understanding correct?
    Its not. Else those resi stacks facing inward can just open windows for free ac

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Its not. Else those resi stacks facing inward can just open windows for free ac
    there's no a/c.it's a open air shopping centre. can collect free rain waiter.

there's no a/c.it's a open air shopping centre. can collect free rain waiter.
    No wonder its called promenade. When it pours it could be a walk along the "water front."

Promenade, when rain can make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by property_finder
    That I somewhat agree!

It will be be interesting to see how the mall will develop, or move towards demise.

Perhaps owners here can give some hints as to what are their business models, or suggest how to make this mall work. They are the major stakeholders. The resi owners are less affected, especially if it is for investment.
    Im a resi owner, buying to stay. location wise is very good.

Just praying hard for a good supermarket to open there.

I believe food and beverage should have no problem surviving there.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool00
    Im a resi owner, buying to stay. location wise is very good.

Just praying hard for a good supermarket to open there.

I believe food and beverage should have no problem surviving there.
    I mean hearing about business models and suggestions from retail unit owners. Heartland Mall is quite well-known for having many educational centres, What can this mall stand for?

For own stay, can you advise why are you praying hard for a good supermarket to open there? Price appreciation? There are already nearby places to shop for groceries.

Actually, some resi owners (inward facing ones??) may prefer a quieter mall as it can be peaceful and there are less curious shoppers peering up into your unit.

Which non-BUC mixed development today most resemble p@p? Maybe with examples we can visualize better what sort of end results we may be looking at.

Which non-BUC mixed development today most resemble p@p? Maybe with examples we can visualize better what sort of end results we may be looking at.
    Peoples Park complex

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Peoples Park complex
    The shops in People's park complex may appear "Chap Pa Lan", but there is an overall "Chinatown" feeling. Many newer shops are setup specifically for the PRC market (such as open air beauty threading /tattoo shops and tour agencies in booths with flyers stuck all around the booth).

There are also many makeshift booths located in the central area of the mall, one of which was manned by Yours Truly about 2 decades ago selling household products to the shoppers and occasional rich Indonesian tourists.

What feel can P@P give?

I mean hearing about business models and suggestions from retail unit owners. Heartland Mall is quite well-known for having many educational centres, What can this mall stand for?

For own stay, can you advise why are you praying hard for a good supermarket to open there? Price appreciation? There are already nearby places to shop for groceries.

Actually, some resi owners (inward facing ones??) may prefer a quieter mall as it can be peaceful and there are less curious shoppers peering up into your unit.
    Does this mall have to stand for anything? Heartland mall was not known for its educational centre at the beginning too... Many many businesses closed down until it eventually became what it is known for now.*

Maybe *promenade@pelikat will have 270 mama/bubble tea/china mei mei/ lemonade/ money changer shops since the shop space is too small for anything else. Anyway, it is a little premature to say anything*now when the shops are not even opened yet. But let's face it, it will never be like another Nex, and I think owners would already have this in mind when they bought the retail space.

Think Liverpool00 is hoping for a good supermarket purely from a convenience point of view... Would you rather walk downstairs to buy your groceries or walk to the next street to do so? Haha maybe I can speak for myself, even though NEX is less than 300 metres away, but I still prefer to buy stuff from the petrol station next to my home cos it's only 10 metres away.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisop
    Does this mall have to stand for anything? Heartland mall was not known for its educational centre at the beginning too... Many many businesses closed down until it eventually became what it is known for now.*

Maybe *promenade@pelikat will have 270 mama/bubble tea/china mei mei/ lemonade/ money changer shops since the shop space is too small for anything else. Anyway, it is a little premature to say anything*now when the shops are not even opened yet. But let's face it, it will never be like another Nex, and I think owners would already have this in mind when they bought the retail space.

Think Liverpool00 is hoping for a good supermarket purely from a convenience point of view... Would you rather walk downstairs to buy your groceries or walk to the next street to do so? Haha maybe I can speak for myself, even though NEX is less than 300 metres away, but I still prefer to buy stuff from the petrol station next to my home cos it's only 10 metres away.
    A business must always stand for something if it wants to thrive. Look at a few of the new Orchard Road malls that do not stand for anything, many units are empty and you can see notices on the doors.

As what you mentioned, many units in P@P may face the likelihood of closing down until this mall eventuall evolves into a position that it can occupy.
    However, this may not be the case as what I mentioned in my previous posts, and that things may turn out just fine the moment it starts, and further improve. Have to wait for mall to open and get a feel of the business before can comment further in detail.

Its always important for resi owners to have the convenience of supermarkets and F&B right at their doorstep. Hopefully the mall can turn out to be like Greenwich @ seletar.

I think with enough traffic flow from nearby landed and opposite hdb estates, there shouldn't be a problem.

Guessing the development will TOP earlier than the 2016 timeline. Im thinking End 2014 or early 2015

Its always important for resi owners to have the convenience of supermarkets and F&B right at their doorstep. Hopefully the mall can turn out to be like Greenwich @ seletar.

I think with enough traffic flow from nearby landed and opposite hdb estates, there shouldn't be a problem.

Guessing the development will TOP earlier than the 2016 timeline. Im thinking End 2014 or early 2015
    doubt there can ever be any supermarket in this mall. all the 270 units are own by different owners.

doubt there can ever be any supermarket in this mall. all the 270 units are own by different owners.
    Having a supermarket may not mean this mall will definitely work. Look at Scotts Square, another mixed D where you can find NTUC finest and UOB bank. Is this mall crowded at all?
    On the other hand, Orchard Plaza has no supermarket and used to have many pubs. Nowadays, one can see many enrichment centres and tuition centres on the upper levels and are frequented by locals and expats.

City Square mall also has no supermarket (kindly correct me if I am wrong), but it stands for wholesale.

My opinion is P@P will work. Among the 270 units, what you need is to spot which model works best and when it has opened for the first year. Being small businesses, the working model should be relatively easy to replicate (with a twist so it will not be identical to its competitor for branding purposes). Thus, other shop owners can simply copy and the mall will slowly evolve into something it can stand for.

I am in anticipation to find out what this will be.

Having a supermarket may not mean this mall will definitely work. Look at Scotts Square, another mixed D where you can find NTUC finest and UOB bank. Is this mall crowded at all?
    On the other hand, Orchard Plaza has no supermarket and used to have many pubs. Nowadays, one can see many enrichment centres and tuition centres on the upper levels and are frequented by locals and expats.

City Square mall also has no supermarket (kindly correct me if I am wrong), but it stands for wholesale.

My opinion is P@P will work. Among the 270 units, what you need is to spot which model works best and when it has opened for the first year. Being small businesses, the working model should be relatively easy to replicate (with a twist so it will not be identical to its competitor for branding purposes). Thus, other shop owners can simply copy and the mall will slowly evolve into something it can stand for.

I am in anticipation to find out what this will be.
    tiny shops like this could be the next FEP or Bugis street! Sell fashion wear for teenagers

A business must always stand for something if it wants to thrive. Look at a few of the new Orchard Road malls that do not stand for anything, many units are empty and you can see notices on the doors.

As what you mentioned, many units in P@P may face the likelihood of closing down until this mall eventuall evolves into a position that it can occupy.
    However, this may not be the case as what I mentioned in my previous posts, and that things may turn out just fine the moment it starts, and further improve. Have to wait for mall to open and get a feel of the business before can comment further in detail.
    I agree with you that the business must stand for something to thrive, but you are referring to the feel of the mall as a whole, right? As in it needs to have a theme? Lifestyle, food, sports, education theme etc?

Talking about new orchard road malls, one very good example, Orchard Central. The concept is the same as other shopping malls like Wisma, Nex with clothing, cafe, restaurants, stationary shops, many things... *But on a whole, it is empty. Only certain shops/business like the Japanese restaurant Ootoya on the top floor and cold stone creamery on the ground floor are drawing crowds to their shops. What i meant to say is that it really depends on the individual business itself, how that shop/product/service would appeal to the people, *not the theme of the mall. Maybe you might notice that many shops in the heartland mall, especially the annex area are still pretty quiet even with the tuition centres.*

Like you say, just have to wait and see and hope for the best for p@p!*

Are you looking for a retail space or a residential unit here?

I like mixed Ds. Might be something similar to Henry Park Apartments or the rows of shophouses along Bukit Timah 6th avenue. But more peaceful.

East Village?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    I like mixed Ds. Might be something similar to Henry Park Apartments or the rows of shophouses along Bukit Timah 6th avenue. But more peaceful.

East Village?
    Speaking of East Village, with the current transacting prices at Eco + the many more projects to be launched @ Tanah Merah, the retail shops may get some profits and crowd from the new residents!!

tiny shops like this could be the next FEP or Bugis street! Sell fashion wear for teenagers
    Don't think so, the hip and trendy young don't like to hang out there.

Shops that depend on high foot traffic may find it challenging to make a good profit. Perhaps specialty shops, trading office showrooms for end-user products may have better chances.

What are the types of businesses that are in pelikat mansion before en bloc?

I agree with you that the business must stand for something to thrive, but you are referring to the feel of the mall as a whole, right? As in it needs to have a theme? Lifestyle, food, sports, education theme etc?

Talking about new orchard road malls, one very good example, Orchard Central. The concept is the same as other shopping malls like Wisma, Nex with clothing, cafe, restaurants, stationary shops, many things... *But on a whole, it is empty. Only certain shops/business like the Japanese restaurant Ootoya on the top floor and cold stone creamery on the ground floor are drawing crowds to their shops. What i meant to say is that it really depends on the individual business itself, how that shop/product/service would appeal to the people, *not the theme of the mall. Maybe you might notice that many shops in the heartland mall, especially the annex area are still pretty quiet even with the tuition centres.*

Like you say, just have to wait and see and hope for the best for p@p!*

Are you looking for a retail space or a residential unit here?
    For Orchard Central, Cold Stone Creamery acts as the Anchor tenant. One of the other ways this mall draws its crowd is through frequent roadshows and exhibitions.

All units sold out, how to purchase now. Please let me know if you intend to sell yours?

Don't think so, the hip and trendy young don't like to hang out there.

Shops that depend on high foot traffic may find it challenging to make a good profit. Perhaps specialty shops, trading office showrooms for end-user products may have better chances.

What are the types of businesses that are in pelikat mansion before en bloc?
    hardware motor shops

City Square mall has NTUC Fairprice...Toy r Us just opened recently and GV cinemas will open in Jan 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    City Square mall has NTUC Fairprice...Toy r Us just opened recently and GV cinemas will open in Jan 2013.
    So sorry, I want to write City Plaza..

Bought many things on wholesale price there.

For Orchard Central, Cold Stone Creamery acts as the Anchor tenant. One of the other ways this mall draws its crowd is through frequent roadshows and exhibitions.

All units sold out, how to purchase now. Please let me know if you intend to sell yours?
    Hahahaha well... only for a very good price then I will consider selling. Only for a very good price.

Hahahaha well... only for a very good price then I will consider selling. Only for a very good price.
    Chrisop, May I know what business will you be operating ?

I could be your frequent customer.

Chrisop, May I know what business will you be operating ?

I could be your frequent customer.
    Hi Liverpool00, it's a secret for now. Please patronise my shop when it opens.

Has anyone been to the site? how is the progress of this development.

Update 4th Dec 2012.