Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of Mickey Mouse (MM)?

Default End of Mickey Mouse (MM)?

By Andrew Batt (courtesy of PropertyGuru)
    With the prospect of a drop in property prices looming large on the horizon, Singapore banks are already tightening their lending criteria. Prospective buyers of so called shoe-box units are already discovering that access to funding is proving to be a challenge.
    PropertyGuru understands that at least one bank in Singapore is now declining all finance applications for properties under 500 sq ft in size — the generally recognised measure for shoe-box units in Singapore. Other banks remained tight-lipped about their individual policies and declined to comment on the record when contacted by PropertyGuru.
    An employee of CIMB who declined to be named told PropertyGuru that financing for shoe-box units is simply no longer being offered. "It's just too risky right now" he said, adding that he understands most banks are not even considering applications from individuals with a substantial deposit and perfect credit history.
    For Getty Goh, whose company Ascendant Assets released research about Singapore's shoe-box property market late last year, this news was expected. He said, "It doesn't come as a surprise that banks are slowing down on their lending, especially when the economic outlook for the next few months remains highly volatile."
    Why are banks deeming these smaller units to be more risky that other parts of the property sector? Goh believes the answer is simple.
    He said: "It's because some shoebox units are asking for unsustainably high per-square-foot prices. In light of the impending property market slowdown, these high priced units will be the first to be affected by any drop in valuation. This drop in asset valuation will, in turn, affect the banks — especially when the value of the collateral is significantly less than the loan."
    Arun Mambully, director of research and editorial at The Asian Banker, echoed Goh's comments. He told PropertyGuru, "The prospects of lower economic growth in Singapore for 2012 coupled with macroeconomic uncertainties are pushing banks to focus on the quality of their asset base. This same trend is reflected in banks globally, as we can see European banks stashing away excess liquidity with central banks across the globe. Add the rise of property price index to this mix, and you get all the ingredients necessary for banks to pull back lending to riskier asset classes."
    Buyers of these smaller properties are typically investors, and unlike those properties which are purchased for owner occupation, the risk of the buyer defaulting is much higher. Buyers of shoe-box units also rely heavily on the rental market to repay their financing, and this will also be impacted during any prolonged slowdown.
    Goh added, "Banks are ultimately in the business of making money through lending money. The last thing they want is to see their loans go bad. Any rational and responsible bank would naturally not want to make risky loans - especially when the market outlook has become highly uncertain."
    Andrew Batt is Regional Group Editor at PropertyGuru.

Nothing new, most non-local banks do not finance MM units...

Too much generalization.

Blame game. This is obviously agenda fueled writing. So responsible...

dbs ocbc uob no problem...can loan if cannot pay...they come to ur mm and write owe $ pay $......

nvr trust asslysts. they always thrust u. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ezonme
    nvr trust asslysts. they always thrust u. cheers!
    anal-ysts will anal you till u bleed lor...

Geylang MMs perhaps ...

FEO Watertown 520sqft ok wat ... I am sure Bartley Residences 4XXqft many banks also willing to fund ... what is the problem? No Problema
    Ride at your own risk !!!

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

die-lah, they let the cats out liow... all mickey mouse please go hiding hor...

haha... i bet bank will still provide loans for MM... but may be very soon bank valuation falls below developer's discounted price... sekali max S$1Kpsf... and there will be "COV" for MM....

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Geylang MMs perhaps ...

FEO Watertown 520sqft ok wat ... I am sure Bartley Residences 4XXqft many banks also willing to fund ... what is the problem? No Problema
    Can take loan fund at buy, later wan to refinance is a problem, but then it's low quantum amount so unlikely to refinance actually. Therefore the bank lock you in.

Just build 1+1 520sqft < then it's out of MM classification...haha

Difference between mm & 2 bedders is abt on average $300psf. Will this gap widen?

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Difference between mm & 2 bedders is abt on average $300psf. Will this gap widen?
    haha.... no lah... the "psf gap" will get narrower bcoz 2bdr is shrinking in size towards 35sqm.... when both mm & 2bdr are at 35sqm... psf for 2bdr will even be slightly higher...

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    haha.... no lah... the "psf gap" will get narrower bcoz 2bdr is shrinking in size towards 35sqm.... when both mm & 2bdr are at 35sqm... psf for 2bdr will even be slightly higher...
    3 bedders will become 700+ sqft & 4 bedders become 900 sqft.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonjai
    Just build 1+1 520sqft < then it's out of MM classification...haha
    Correct. Behold the proliferation of dual key MMs (258sf + 258sf).

BTW, 258sf is the smallest MM record in Singapore to date...

OCR 99LH

MM - 350sqft - 599k
    1 BR - 450sqft - 699k
    2 BR - 550sqft - 799k
    3 BR - 750sqft - 999k
    4 BR - 1000sqft - 1199k

Oh man!....

Getty Goh. ZzZ
    Affordable means small

why are the banks worried.

With 40% downpayment for 2nd property... the bank's risk are minimal.... unless mr b is right....

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    why are the banks worried.

With 40% downpayment for 2nd property... the bank's risk are minimal.... unless mr b is right....
    Right about?

I have a totally different opinion about all these.

The current observation is that the local banks are offering better interest rates than foreign banks. This is actually a fact.

Why so?

It would be easier to imagine that the local banks are "in need of business" and in such "hard times", they are more ready to take up any business. And yet, they turn away financing some small units....(?)

The Singapore leaders are not rash or incompetent, and certainly not clueless about what they are doing. If I were a guru and predicting that Europe and Japan (and perhaps even USA, again) will print more money to tide things over the next 2 years, I will be building a dam here to prepare for the flood of cash coming this way. How will I build such a dam? I will build 2 different dams. One will be to increase the tax of a foreigner buying properties in Singapore (hence the additional stamp duty for purchasing, but not for selling). The other will be to increase my client pool - the more loans I get the better, and preferably from bigger apartments because the quantum is higher. That way, when the interest rate goes up, I will make a significant amount of profit.

Dbs seems to hf cash surplus tats y aggressive for their mortgage rates?

Scb and maybank offering highest rate and promotions for cash deposit.....

those who borrowed at super low rate all along are taking advantage of those who saved ... if Fed continues to push forward 0% interest rate in the US past 2014... very soon ... many depositors will cry father cry mother ... PAP will need to do something at next election ...

imo, low interest rate will last for 10y i.e. from 2009 to 2019

though hdb cov has stabilized .. seems like buyers are back into the market after a nice stock market run-up

for condos ... asking prices of 1br has softened in ocr as nowadays almost every OCR or RCR project will have a large number of 4xxsqf / 500sqft 1br flooding the market ... 1.2kpsf seems to be the sweet spot near MRT
    Ride at your own risk !!!

those who borrowed at super low rate all along are taking advantage of those who saved ... if Fed continues to push forward 0% interest rate in the US past 2014... very soon ... many depositors will cry father cry mother ... PAP will need to do something at next election ...

though hdb cov has stabilized .. seems like buyers are back into the market after a nice stock market run-up

for condos ... asking prices of 1br has softened in ocr as nowadays almost every OCR or RCR project will have a large number of 4xxsqf / 500sqft 1br flooding the market ... 1.2kpsf seems to be the sweet spot near MRT
    how low is this rate for this 10 yr??

You see, this is where I don't understand again.

The ones screaming, jumping, crying over the escalating home prices are the ones intending to buy HDB units, correct? We have not seen reports of them complaining to the government that the condo/landed home prices are beyond their reach and that they should do something.

But the corrective measures implemented so far are targeted more at the condo. How will that resolve the HDB situation? It is like asking the wealthy woman to pay more for her beauty products because her less-wealthy cousin needs cheaper soap.

What needs to be done is to make that soap cheaper, ie, to bring down the price of HDBs first. To do that, I feel that the authorities need to review how to discourage HDB home owners to sell at a high price. This means removing the COV, and also to consider asking those who have received the government housing subsidy when they bought the first flat, to refund this money to the national coffers in full. Afterall, this money was from the general taxpayers and should be shared by all (not given only to these people to make profit later on). Those who are selling because they are downgrading to a smaller/cheaper unit should then be given special consideration on a case-by-case basis. Perhaps this will reduce the demand for flats overall and bring down the prices.

No reuters, the ones complaining the most are those aspiring to own a condo, not HDB. Every one can afford a BTO HDB. It's the next step, that to upgrade to condo, "seems" difficult. We have a live example in this very forum, where some members propose gov to restrict foreign buying of units above 1m only, and let him buy his RCR condo with 1m. " let foreigners speculate on multi million ptys in orchard for all I care, but gov must allow me to buy this at 1m etc"

And mind you , this group is not small. This basically describes all Gen Y who had bought new HDB from gov as the 1st home. And now as MOP over, time to upgrade, and he suddenly found 200k is not enough to get his dream condo.

And btw this means mini houses will prosper because this group really want it. 600 sqft 3bd is common in HK. It will come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    No reuters, the ones complaining the most are those aspiring to own a condo, not HDB. Every one can afford a BTO HDB. It's the next step, that to upgrade to condo, "seems" difficult. We have a live example in this very forum, where some members propose gov to restrict foreign buying of units above 1m only, and let him buy his RCR condo with 1m. " let foreigners speculate on multi million ptys in orchard for all I care, but gov must allow me to buy this at 1m etc"

And mind you , this group is not small. This basically describes all Gen Y who had bought new HDB from gov as the 1st home. And now as MOP over, time to upgrade, and he suddenly found 200k is not enough to get his dream condo.

And btw this means mini houses will prosper because this group really want it. 600 sqft 3bd is common in HK. It will come soon.
    So u r saying mm got potential ar? Hehehe

New hdb estate has improved alot over the yrs....the design....landscaping etc had improved tremendously and i seriously do not think mini 3bdr will be popular leh....

Hk different leh bcoz they dun haf a choice like hdb lor....

However if wat u said come true, den at least older projects got higher chance to get enbloc lor....lol

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

I think he doesn't mean the general MM which is <500 sqft, may be more 2BR-MMs of size about 600+ sqft and 3BR-MMs of size about 700+ sqft? Wow! Aren't those built for dwarfs and Mickey-mouses instead of humans? And mine you, the new condos you have to deduct 20% from the specified size to derive the liveable area! Those means only usable 480+ sqft and 560+ sqft for 2BRs and 3BRs, half of those old resale condos!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    So u r saying mm got potential ar? Hehehe

New hdb estate has improved alot over the yrs....the design....landscaping etc had improved tremendously and i seriously do not think mini 3bdr will be popular leh....

Hk different leh bcoz they dun haf a choice like hdb lor....

However if wat u said come true, den at least older projects got higher chance to get enbloc lor....lol

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    I think he doesn't mean the general MM which is <500 sqft, may be more 2BR-MMs of size about 600+ sqft and 3BR-MMs of size about 700+ sqft? Wow! Aren't those built for dwarfs and Mickey-mouses instead of humans? And mine you, the new condos you have to deduct 20% from the specified size to derive the liveable area! Those means only usable 480+ sqft and 560+ sqft for 2BRs and 3BRs, half of those old resale condos!
    Too small for mice but should be just nice for furry huggy tedddy bear right? :P

Jokes aside, one must not ignore that new projects are usually better designed in terms of layout la... (notwithstanding those XL AC ledge types of course)

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    You see, this is where I don't understand again.

The ones screaming, jumping, crying over the escalating home prices are the ones intending to buy HDB units, correct? We have not seen reports of them complaining to the government that the condo/landed home prices are beyond their reach and that they should do something.

But the corrective measures implemented so far are targeted more at the condo. How will that resolve the HDB situation? It is like asking the wealthy woman to pay more for her beauty products because her less-wealthy cousin needs cheaper soap.
    You forgot the impact of supply and demand. While the price of soap can be stagnant for years, regardless of the demand, the prices of homes fluctuates depending on the demand. CCR caps RCR and OCR which in turn cap EC. EC will cap HDB resale and BTO. Govt recognised that they can't do too much in the public sector otherwise they'll lose 2 more GRC in next GE so no choice they operate from private sector lor... but yes I agree that their policies probably need further fine tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    What needs to be done is to make that soap cheaper, ie, to bring down the price of HDBs first. To do that, I feel that the authorities need to review how to discourage HDB home owners to sell at a high price. This means removing the COV, and also to consider asking those who have received the government housing subsidy when they bought the first flat, to refund this money to the national coffers in full. Afterall, this money was from the general taxpayers and should be shared by all (not given only to these people to make profit later on). Those who are selling because they are downgrading to a smaller/cheaper unit should then be given special consideration on a case-by-case basis. Perhaps this will reduce the demand for flats overall and bring down the prices.
    COV is merely a nice acronym to replace the bidding exercise. Two person comes to buy a TV from you. One of them meets your asking price of $1000 but the other is willing to pay $1500 for that TV. Being a free market, I will definitely sell to him who offers $1500. Removing COV merely makes transactions less transparent. However, I do agree that probably sellers of HDB should return the subsidy they received from govt. Govt should then channel this to fund other BTO projects. This would in turn sustain future BTO projects and so keep cost of new BTO at super low price? $150k for an EA in Toa Payoh, anybody?