Thread: Where did agents get hold of address and mobile number of owner?

Default Where did agents get hold of address and mobile number of owner?

I have a property which is TOP-ing soon. In the past couple of weeks, I have been receiving calls on my mobile from at least 4 agents asking me whether i would like to engage them to market my unit. In addition, I have received letters posted to my current place of residence from agents wanting to market my units. Some of them are the same agents who have called me.

My question is how did they get hold of my mobile and address? Did the developer divulge to them. Is this proper? Should I complain to CEA?

There was a book for sign in/out when you visit a showflat. Agent can always say they got the number from that visitor's book. V difficult to argue... unless you don't write in that book then maybe can argue a bit more...

I thought it is a blessing in disguise. The day no agent bothers to call you will be a sad state of affair.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    I thought it is a blessing in disguise. The day no agent bothers to call you will be a sad state of affair.
    rofl!

D u know many developers engage agents for the handover ? Especially for mass market large projects. Agents have the whole list of the buyers of each unit, complete with IC number, address, and phone numbers.

There is nothing illegal about it.

I was quite shock at first to have agents calling me way before my previous condo t.o.p. they even knew my unit number! The agent who sold my unit told me they buy contacts from a company and that's why they can get the asking prices of multiple owners in the condo.

Did you guys received calls from ID company?
    They also got the details from somewhere somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by okacin
    I have a property which is TOP-ing soon. In the past couple of weeks, I have been receiving calls on my mobile from at least 4 agents asking me whether i would like to engage them to market my unit. In addition, I have received letters posted to my current place of residence from agents wanting to market my units. Some of them are the same agents who have called me.

My question is how did they get hold of my mobile and address? Did the developer divulge to them. Is this proper? Should I complain to CEA?
    Please share wif us the outcome if u complain to CEA. I had the same problem also. Even i have moved in to my new unit after TOP and changed a new number, yet they still can get my new contact number. . BTW, whenever they call me, the call wont last more than 3 seconds, just say not interested and thk u. Nothing much we can do at the moment.

Apparently I think they get the numbers from some sources linked to our mobile service provider. My old mobile number with M1 was transferred to my sister more than 5 yrs ago. I am now with Singtel. But somehow, when my Mezzo top, the agents all called my sister, driving her crazy.

No need to wait for TOP lah... agents will also call to ask owners to subsale... they always say this is the best time to sell

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Apparently I think they get the numbers from some sources linked to our mobile service provider. My old mobile number with M1 was transferred to my sister more than 5 yrs ago. I am now with Singtel. But somehow, when my Mezzo top, the agents all called my sister, driving her crazy.

I suspect they got from developers or banks...

why don't everyone in this forum start making 3 calls per day to CEA to tell them to stop agents from making cold calls. Let them know how it feels like.

Also send 3 emails a day too....

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    why don't everyone in this forum start making 3 calls per day to CEA to tell them to stop agents from making cold calls. Let them know how it feels like.

Also send 3 emails a day too....
    I actually enjoy these calls. It makes you feel that you have something valuable at hand. Maybe it is just me

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    I actually enjoy these calls. It makes you feel that you have something valuable at hand. Maybe it is just me
    you wouldn't enjoy these calls if you're overseas.....

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    No need to wait for TOP lah... agents will also call to ask owners to subsale... they always say this is the best time to sell
    I'm looking forward to their calls

There is a system provided by a software company in real estate offices that agents can log in to search owner's particulars. However, the agent has to provide the property address first. With the address, they can know who is the owner. But, they cannot input owner's name and find how many properties he has. They can only input the address and get the owners details.

That was 20 years ago. Dunno now still got the system or not.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21trader
    There is a system provided by a software company in real estate offices that agents can log in to search owner's particulars. However, the agent has to provide the property address first. With the address, they can know who is the owner. But, they cannot input owner's name and find how many properties he has. They can only input the address and get the owners details.

That was 20 years ago. Dunno now still got the system or not.

Good Luck.
    if they cannot find your motorola phone number after getting the owners details, they can then look up the phone directory for your home number.

if they cannot find your motorola phone number after getting the owners details, they can then look up the phone directory for your home number.
    usually the owners listed in this system are very receptive when I called. Many of them own more than 10 properties or are developers after I met them personally. One of them actually showed me the secrets of property investment and redevelopment. After earning my first commission of S$15,000 just a few days into the job, there was no turning back for me liao.

I was lucky when I was a property agent 20 years ago, I guess. Now the agents usually smashed rock because of a few black sheeps in the industry.

That time, property agent sincerely worked for the owners. They will advertise loyally for the owners and not just dump his listing into some Internet Property Listing and wait for co-broke. Now the old birds want the new birds to work for them.

20 years ago, when a buyer looks for a property, the agent will search highs and lows for his requirement. Nowadays the agent simply bo-chiap when you tell them what you are looking for- you have to search for the property yourselves.

WOAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

i ever ask agts b4....they told me they bot caveats details.....

the root cause shd b the coy selling the data....

mabe someone shd try complain it to CEA and see wat CEA say?

i wana complain those banking telemarketeer too!

recently keep getting sms from moneylenders too!!! damn zzzzzz

That time, property agent sincerely worked for the owners. They will advertise loyally for the owners and not just dump his listing into some Internet Property Listing and wait for co-broke. Now the old birds want the new birds to work for them.

20 years ago, when a buyer looks for a property, the agent will search highs and lows for his requirement. Nowadays the agent simply bo-chiap when you tell them what you are looking for- you have to search for the property yourselves.

WOAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
    agt bochap buyers meh? i tot buyer is king now? only when market is red red hot den agts cant be bothered wif buyers rite?

usually the owners listed in this system are very receptive when I called. Many of them own more than 10 properties or are developers after I met them personally. One of them actually showed me the secrets of property investment and redevelopment. After earning my first commission of S$15,000 just a few days into the job, there was no turning back for me liao.

I was lucky when I was a property agent 20 years ago, I guess. Now the agents usually smashed rock because of a few black sheeps in the industry.
    last time vy different.....agts used to circle newspaper classified ads rite? there is no computing system...LOL

Company got it from xxx and then sold it for gd money

Spoken to few agents.. They all told me they bought the caveats from some authority.. maybe SLA or SIS or something like tat.
    Surprise le.. thought privacy laws forbids selling of data & yet they can buy !
    Seems like got $ can bend the rules..
    That why I dun trust those authorities.. ask u to fill in details here & there etc..

caveats do not show our tel numbers so I do not believe their BS that they bought from SLA. I have spoken to insiders about this before......the usual culprits are the developer's staff. They are usually the lower ranking support staff who will sell the numbers for $1 per number so imagine how much they can net if they sell the same set of 300-500 numbers per project to multiple agents. Then some of these agent co-share with IDs and split their cost which is why u get IDs calling u up also. Law firms are another possibility but they will get into really serious trouble if they are caught. Same for banks. so based on what my contact says, most likely the culprits are staff working inside the developer firm who are able to access the customer data.