Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the maintenance fee for freehold condo is a liability if it is for own stay??

Default Is the maintenance fee for freehold condo is a liability if it is for own stay??

i find the maintenance fee for freehold condo is a liability in the long run if you are using for own stay..

then this make me think of getting freehold landed housing instead..

what do you guys think?

I find it funny that u feel maintaining ur OWN property is a liability. In that case, don't u feel that eating three meals everyday is a liability too?

FYI, all properties u stay in ( be it condo, landed or hdb) u will need to pay a maintenance fees (MCST, town council, own maintenance fund for landed, etc). Unless ur property is a public property, I don't see how u can avoid paying any fees to maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    i find the maintenance fee for freehold condo is a liability in the long run if you are using for own stay..

what do you guys think?

what do you guys think?
    Very super long term stay....of coz landed la....can rebuild every 20-30yrs as and when u suka.....And can pass on to nxt generation

Funny.... how come maintenance for FH is liability, maintenance for LH not liability?

Landed no maintenance meh? have to mow lawn, paint house every few years...

Quote Originally Posted by eminor82
    I find it funny that u feel maintaining ur OWN property is a liability. In that case, don't u feel that eating three meals everyday is a liability too?

FYI, all properties u stay in ( be it condo, landed or hdb) u will need to pay a maintenance fees (MCST, town council, own maintenance fund for landed, etc). Unless ur property is a public property, I don't see how u can avoid paying any fees to maintain it.
    i am thinking from the point when you upgrade from HDB to condo..

the difference you have to pay is huge...eg. 2 bed onward

2 bedders pay about $250 or more per month..?

Don't forget depending on the developement, you get most if not all the followings

A carpark slot, 24hrs security, swimming pool, Jacuzzi, BBQ pit, gym, tennis court, basketball court, playground, fitness park, nice garden & landscape, clean lift (no urine, no shit), reading room, etc

Not worth the $250 meh?

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Maintenance fee for HDB flat (e.g. 5-rm flat):
    - car park: $90 pm
    - conservation charges: $75 pm
    - rubbish: $20

So for ZERO facilities, you also need to pay $185 pm?

Compare that to a 3BR condo paying about $300 pm but you get free use of gym, swimming pool, children playground, greenery, tennis court, Sauna, BBQ pit, function room for holding birthday parties & other parties etc, free car park, enclosed estate compound + 2 security guards with 24 hours security etc. Which is more worth it?

Sometimes to think of it, where do they spend all the $185 pm huh for ZERO facility? Invest in structured deposits and then lost most of those money which they had done previously?

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

all real-estates are liability.... ... unless you pay fully in ca$h...
    or may be can follow some1 camp at changi for lowest liability....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

to make you feel better and have a nicer sunny sunday morning hor....
    - condo maintenance of $250/month

equals to:
    - 2x car packing at HDB, $65*2=$130
    - pay $30/month for swimming pool
    - pay $30/month for landscaping & daily cleaning
    - pay $30/month for security guard
    - pay $30/month for etc etc, ... i.e. mosquitoes fogging, "more class/looking good", gym equipment...
    - pay $30/month for nicer view, bikinis babes and etc...

you still make $30.... happy now??...

To rebuild a terrace or semi-D costs $500k at least (ZERO design). Landed properties are built to last 30 years.

Condos are built to last >100 years (quality different).

Is it any wonder why you pay much much more $PSF for construction of condos?

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Very super long term stay....of coz landed la....can rebuild every 20-30yrs as and when u suka.....And can pass on to nxt generation

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

equals to:
    - pay $30/month for etc etc, ... i.e. mosquitoes fogging, "more class/looking good", gym equipment...

lol .. hope got lor..

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Don't forget depending on the developement, you get most if not all the followings

A carpark slot, 24hrs security, swimming pool, Jacuzzi, BBQ pit, gym, tennis court, basketball court, playground, fitness park, nice garden & landscape, clean lift (no urine, no shit), reading room, etc

Not worth the $250 meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear

Compare that to a 3BR condo paying about $300 pm but you get free use of gym, swimming pool, children playground, greenery, tennis court, Sauna, BBQ pit, function room for holding birthday parties & other parties etc, free car park, enclosed estate compound + 2 security guards with 24 hours security etc. Which is more worth it?

Sometimes to think of it, where do they spend all the $185 pm huh for ZERO facility? Invest in structured deposits and then lost most of those money which they had done previously?
    thx for sharing the info.. feel more enlightened now!

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

if you wanna stay in condo and enjoy the facilities... don't get heart pain about the $300/month...
    if your heart only in investment $$... then buy condo/landed and rent out... keep hdb for own stay...

what do you guys think?

Reality hdb, condo or landed haves maintance cost. Landed tax n goverment hand out also diff. So if u are concern on cost stay put in ur hdb. Nothing can beat that.

what do you guys think?
    The maintenance fee for landed is even unpredictable, depending on the age, the leak from the roof and worst between the wall joint which u will never get it fix( pressure grouting) ranging few k each time is more ex . And that go without facilities usage .

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear

...:
    I know at least a handful of small or boutique projects with maint <$155... I didn't know HDB's is so ex!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    I know at least a handful of small or boutique projects with maint <$155... I didn't know HDB's is so ex!!!
    Most people use GIRO so much until the forgotten how much they've been billed a month by HDB.

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    The maintenance fee for landed is even unpredictable, depending on the age, the leak from the roof and worst between the wall joint which u will never get it fix( pressure grouting) ranging few k each time is more ex . And that go without facilities usage .
    Prob this is e reason y pp cash out of landed in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    30 yr already...confirm got problem here & there..

30 year old estate sure got adjacent neighbours tear down and rebuild, and put your structure under a bit of stress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

equals to:

$65 for carpark are those open carparks... MSC asking for $90/mth liao... Think cisco security alarm you can install in hdb flat probably cost more than $30/mth.

Just to add on to what bro Ikan Bilis said...the facilities are not limited just to you but your family. If you have school going kids, then they have the convenience of learning swimming or other sports within the condo. Its more of a lifestyle, safety and comfort .

if you wanna stay in condo and enjoy the facilities... don't get heart pain about the $300/month...
    if your heart only in investment $$... then buy condo/landed and rent out... keep hdb for own stay...

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    For landed u need to set a side more budget for the maintenance ...

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    For landed u need to set a side more budget for the maintenance ...
    yes just to paint exterior is already a five figure sum !

Quote Originally Posted by extremme
    wow

how many years interval do you plan to do the re-painting?

Quote Originally Posted by extremme
    i come to know that the paint material cost had risen quite alot recently...

For external must use anti fugi type, else aft 1/2 a year, will turn greenish or blackish

good advice...

wow

Nn fix time interval , is really depend how long u can than or when u have these spare budget...
    Even if u paint, likely u will paint a portion of it...thing like the boundary wall where it is easy reach can DIY, those need staging will properly not be painted till god know when...

wow

me no landed ... but my uncle was complaining abt e painting cost.. I think after 10 yrs for repAinting

like i mentioned in a previous thread. my parents place(inter terrace) 21years from new. spent 10-15k at most till now on maintenance/minor improvements on the external. so to me landed is indeed cheaper than a condo.
    There were minor leaks on the roof, but i repaired it DIY. cost me less than 200bucks in total and those roofing companies say must change roof etc etc and wanna ketok.
    Neighbor also did major A&A 6years back also never affected anything. so those who say landed costs a lot to maintain are just sway to buy a lousy unit.
    Last edited by mkl22; 19-03-12 at 23:17.

Wah, able to repair leaks on roof? You are not "normal" man!
    How many people can repair their leaks on roof?
    Repairing roof's leaks is one of the most expensive item and yet the most common in landed property!

No lah, because they want cheap so buy a very old unit thinking that they just touch up will do and so will be cheaper than living in condo or those where seller just do "cosmetic beautification" to look like new on the outside (but rotten in the inside).......

Quote Originally Posted by mkl22
    like i mentioned in a previous thread. my parents place(inter terrace) 21years from new. spent 10-15k at most till now on maintenance/minor improvements on the external. so to me landed is indeed cheaper than a condo.
    There were minor leaks on the roof, but i repaired it DIY. cost me less than 200bucks in total and those roofing companies say must change roof etc etc and wanna ketok.
    Neighbor also did major A&A 6years back also never affected anything. so those who say landed costs a lot to maintain are just sway to buy a lousy unit.

Quote Originally Posted by mkl22
    Very true.The trick is to spend about 10k every 8 to 10 years to do repainting and some minor touch-up. To me a big advantage of landed is from the time you lock-up your house and start up your car, it is less than 20 seconds!!! Its especially appreciated after you have done your weekly groceries and transfer your stuff from car to house. Very convenient.