Thread: Youth not a drawback for Canary Land head

Default Youth not a drawback for Canary Land head

http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/St...ry_777763.html

Youth not a drawback for Canary Land head

First-time developer aims to make flagship project stand out

Published on Mar 15, 2012

-- PHOTO: CANARY LAND

By Esther Teo, Property Reporter

CANARY Land director Loi Yan Yi is not your typical high-flyer in the competitive and male-dominated real estate industry.

Being female is enough to make her stand out and, at only 35, Ms Loi is living proof that youth is not an impediment to tackling brick-and-mortar challenges.

But a keen interest in design and architecture since young and the need to be 'gutsy about it' have already led to her first boutique residential project.

The 37-unit The Lush in Duku Road is expected to be previewed by the end of the month at an indicative price of $1,380 per sq ft (psf) for two-bedroom units of between 775 to 1,066 sq ft. These make up about half of The Lush's units.

It will be built on the freehold site of 18-unit Harmony Lodge, which Canary Land bought for about $30 million through a private treaty in late 2010.

'We liked the Katong area because it is very charming. It's got a mix of old and new, whether its architecture or in the blend of shops,' she added.

'It's very quaint... And we also felt that it's very close to the segment we want to target for this product - the upper-middle income. It could be for bachelors, young couples or small families looking for something a bit finer.'

While she acknowledges that she and her partners - they started the company with a paid-up capital of $1 million - lack experience, Ms Loi said her parents' active property investments have given her a trained eye on the design and functionality aspects of space planning.

What she had to pick up along the way was construction-related jargon and the various processes needed to obtain building and planning approvals, something she said could be learnt quickly.

'I think at the end of the day, it's very important that I understand the type of product I want to create and I'm able to achieve that by executing that vision,' Ms Loi added.

She is involved in every stage of the process, from handpicking the rooms' wallpaper in the showflat to creating the music playlist in the sales gallery and designing the sales brochure.

'I'm more of a creative type of person and what I bring to the table is thinking through the design and functionality a lot; little things like whether the space would work for a homemaker or working woman,' Ms Loi added.

Being a first-time developer spurs her on to deliver a high-quality product, as this flagship project could cement Canary Land's reputation. 'All the more because we're first-time developers, we'll emphasise a lot on the quality, fitting and furnishings... We'll go the extra mile to develop something that people can be confident of,' she said.

Ms Loi is no stranger to risk. She entered the restaurant business while holding a full-time banking job in 2006 before quitting to run Canary Land a year later.

The Epicure Group, which she started with a few partners, operates three restaurants: Graze at Rochester Park, and a second Graze outlet and Thai restaurant Kha at mixed-use project Martin No. 38.

Ms Loi is the daughter of Mr Loi Kai Meng, chairman of listed logistics company CWT and managing director of its parent company C&P Holdings.

[email protected]

With that sort of backing, there are no downsides nor drawbacks. The most you lose is money. But you can always come back.

Bachelors here who cannot afford a condo have hope.

hmm duku road sure got good clients...just next to joo chiat...

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    With that sort of backing, there are no downsides nor drawbacks. The most you lose is money. But you can always come back.
    ya lor...papa got $$$...most u loose just ask papa lor...

Obviously a high flyer. Photo is here: http://www.canaryland.com/

your weblink doesn't seem to jive with the company referred to in the article.

Meant as a joke lah

People put in hard work to design. Quite nice design actually. I believe the fittings will be of very good quality since it is her first project.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix

People put in hard work to design. Quite nice design actually. I believe the fittings will be of very good quality since it is her first project.
    i don't doubt it, my point is there is no drawback. i would do they same if i were in her shoes, establish your quality and become the next SC Global.

Unfortunately for her, she could have made a mistake of sizing the units a bit too big. Sales will be a bit slow... that's my guess but wish her good luck for her virgin project.

Unfortunately for her, she could have made a mistake of sizing the units a bit too big. Sales will be a bit slow... that's my guess but wish her good luck for her virgin project.
    no lah, if she start on the MM path, it'll be very hard to become SC Global when people remember you as the MM developer.

no lah, if she start on the MM path, it'll be very hard to become SC Global when people remember you as the MM developer.
    People would be grateful for MM developers who give efficient designs and good quality homes at lower costs. Still waiting for BJT21 for his ultra efficient (hopefully cheap) new launch...

People would be grateful for MM developers who give efficient designs and good quality homes at lower costs. Still waiting for BJT21 for his ultra efficient (hopefully cheap) new launch...
    look at simon cheong, he don't want grateful buyers. he want buyers who will pay top dollars for his apartments!

look at simon cheong, he don't want grateful buyers. he want buyers who will pay top dollars for his apartments!
    thats because he wants to enjoy life in THIS world...but if he has greatful buyers then he get blessings and good karma and will enjoy life in NEXT world....

How about getting top paying buyers and giving generously to charitable causes?

How about getting top paying buyers and giving generously to charitable causes?
    ah like that can...bagus...