Thread: Utility rooms, bomb shelters a draw for tenants on a budget

Default Utility rooms, bomb shelters a draw for tenants on a budget

Time for landlord to max out their rental income

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_781487.html

Utility rooms, bomb shelters a draw for tenants on a budget
    Published on Mar 25, 2012

By Kezia Toh
    One might ask, what is smaller to sleep in than a tiny room in those tiny shoebox apartments? Well, for those looking to rent space, no questions asked, there are utility rooms and bomb shelters.
    Home owners have found a source of income in the tiniest room in their homes - by renting out the utility room and bomb shelter, even if the practice is illegal for public apartment units.
    As for private property, there do not seem to be any guidelines on this.
    Background story

It's cheap
    'I don't mind because it is cheap, and just a place to lay my head at night.'
    MR FU TIAN, a student from China, who rents a utility room in a three-room HDB flat in Queenstown. He forks out $450 a month in rent
    It's too stifling
    'I realised just how small the utility room was only after I moved out.'
    MISS SAMANTHA LEE, who paid $600 a month for a utility room in a three-room Toa Payoh HDB flat

Owners put in a single bed or mattress, and throw in a small cabinet or desk, leaving barely enough walking space

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/prope...-bomb-shelters

New fad: Tenants renting bomb shelters
    Mar 26, 2012 - PropertyGuru.com.sg
    By Romesh Navaratnarajah

Shoebox units may be small, but for those who need an even smaller space, utility rooms and bomb shelters (pictured) are being rented out.

Some homeowners have resorted to renting out the smallest rooms in their house for extra income, although the practice is illegal for public housing. As for private property, no clear guidelines cover this practice.

Owners usually put in a single mattress or a bed and a small cabinet or desk, leaving barely enough walking space. Some rooms are so tiny that the door can’t be opened fully.

Renters pay around S$300 to S$600 a month for these rooms, which are relatively cheaper than HDB flats.

In suburban areas like Sengkang and Yishun, units are rented out from S$600 to S$900, while in central areas such as Bishan and Toa Payoh; they could reach S$1,000.

Homeowners are even promoting their utility rooms and bomb shelters online, with room measurements and furnishing details listed. Utility rooms, which mostly have windows, can be as small as four sq m, while bomb shelters, or household shelters may be as small as 2.4 sq m.

Nicholas Mak, Head of Research at SLP International, said that many takers are foreign students and young, single foreigners working in Singapore.

One condo owner in Paya Lebar received over 20 offers to rent out his 3.5 sq m bomb shelter. Three weeks ago, he decided to rent it out for S$400 a month.

The Malaysian tenant, a designer, also has access to the condo's facilities, including the swimming pool, gym and sauna.
    Last edited by land118; 27-03-12 at 15:41.

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

ok.... ok... i will rent out my utility room, and i will also remove the toilet bowl of my 3rd toilet and put a bed there... plus i got 2 bedrooms vacant... so i can rent out all at $2K+ enough to cover my mortgage intalment liow...

pressure cooker sin-city.... everyone siow liow... kbw better do something...

Goodness me... There again , willing landlord willing tenant ...what can we say?

Unbelievable...... Bomb shelter has got no windows! How can anyone tahan the stuffiness in there? Unless the tenant sleeps without closing the heavy metal door, which means zero privacy too.

We are heading towards Hong Kong style of cage homes:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-hutches.html

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    ok.... ok... i will rent out my utility room, and i will also remove the toilet bowl of my 3rd toilet and put a bed there... plus i got 2 bedrooms vacant... so i can rent out all at $2K+ enough to cover my mortgage intalment liow...

pressure cooker sin-city.... everyone siow liow... kbw better do something...
    May be no need to remove toilet bowl also can since in China, PRC family rent public toilet convert into home le

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/st...ic_toilet.html

But people do sleep in bomb shelters and utility rooms for a long time liaoz...they are our hardworking maids.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    But people do sleep in bomb shelters and utility rooms for a long time liaoz...they are our hardworking maids.
    When I told my kids about maids sleeping in household shelters, my kids exclaimed that why is the maid given the safest part of the house to sleep in!

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    When I told my kids about maids sleeping in household shelters, my kids exclaimed that why is the maid given the safest part of the house to sleep in!
    What was your reply???

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Ya this is nothing new... except now is used to make $$$...

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    There was a funny bro or sis in the forum who mentioned before that should war break out in SG all the left over survivors will be the Filippino and Indonesian maids...