FH mm
    Pro
    FH
    Can rent out ASAP
    better location

con
    smaller
    lower rental yield
    Close one eye n whack e EC if e locations r comparable.

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

my choice...

if for own stay, whack dual-key EC....
    if for investment, whack 2x LH99 MMs...

If you qualify for EC, you should buy EC. If you calculate the rent you can get over 95 years, it will still work out to be a better buy.

Do you know why gov build EC?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    My view - Cater to HDB upgraders who want private condo facilities but find private condo prices too high (these upgraders generally need bigger spaces because of family size so MM units which are of lower quantum are not for them).
    Last edited by rymccondo77; 07-04-12 at 00:41. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by An_zai
    Here's my situation.
    Looking to either get an EC or a FH mm

EC
    PRO
    Bigger area
    Deferred payment
    Better rental yield?
    higher potential for increase in value?

Con
    Must wait 5 years before renting
    LH
    less ideal location

FH mm
    Pro
    FH
    Can rent out ASAP
    better location

con
    smaller
    lower rental yield
    If you are looking for rentals as an investor, then ECs are not for you.

There are 3 / 4 Bedroom dual key units in EC which you can rent out the studio apartment unit (seen as one room) - you will have to comply with HDB's subletting conditions (one of which you have to be staying in the unit during the lease period). Many would be buying such units because of family reasons (e.g. will be staying with parents, in-laws, siblings).

Here's my situation.
    Looking to either get an EC or a FH mm

EC
    PRO
    Bigger area
    Deferred payment
    Better rental yield?

Con
    LH
    less ideal location

FH mm
    Pro
    FH
    Can rent out ASAP
    better location

con
    smaller
    lower rental yield
    Pointless question. How can EC be compared to FH MM? both are bought for different reasons. Not everyone can buy EC. If you are able to then what are u thinking of renting it out? Pure nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by rymccondo77
    My view - Cater to HDB upgraders who want private condo facilities but find private condo prices too high (these upgraders generally need bigger spaces because of family size so MM units which are of lower quantum are not for them).
    Gov build EC only when property is at the peak.

When I buy my 2 Bedroom @ Southbank, the property market at the bottom, gov don't build EC at the bottom. My friend brought a resale EC and have to sell his HDB and feel very happy. I told him I just brought a private condo and keeping my HDB.

Tharman: Govt working to cool property market.

Quote Originally Posted by price
    Pointless question. How can EC be compared to FH MM? both are bought for different reasons. Not everyone can buy EC. If you are able to then what are u thinking of renting it out? Pure nonsense.
    Why nonsense? I'm one of those people who can't really afford a big private condo but wanna stay with my parent after marriage.

Thus I was thinking either buying a mm and rent out while I stay with my parents. Or an ec to stay with them and rent out their hdb.

Tharman: Govt working to cool property market.
    It could mean flat market ...not necessary translates to correction

At the end inflation / income growth matters most
    Ride at your own risk !!!

To satisfy the desire of a group of middle class using tax money from the other group of middle class? Basically it's a popular decision, so it may not be beneficial to the whole nation.

EC is gap filler and neither here nor there when it comes to investment class as too many restrictions and policy risks. Who knows tomorrow govt suddenly say only can rent out after 10yrs then you caught with pants down. As it is, hdb already pending new rental restrictions... Just you watch.

EC
    PRO
    Bigger area
    Deferred payment
    Better rental yield?

Con
    Why nonsense? I'm one of those people who can't really afford a big private condo but wanna stay with my parent after marriage.

Thus I was thinking either buying a mm and rent out while I stay with my parents. Or an ec to stay with them and rent out their hdb.
    if ur parents are going to stay with u in ur new EC, why did u mention about renting out ur EC?

This is gonna be your own domestic issue.

If your parents stay with you in your EC, who's collecting the HDB rent?

If you stay with your parents in their HDB, who's collecting the rent of the MM?

Hence i think it's a nonsensical question.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    To satisfy the desire of a group of middle class using tax money from the other group of middle class? Basically it's a popular decision, so it may not be beneficial to the whole nation.
    To maximize profit during a property boom. Does it make sense to release land sites during a downturn?

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    EC is gap filler and neither here nor there when it comes to investment class as too many restrictions and policy risks. Who knows tomorrow govt suddenly say only can rent out after 10yrs then you caught with pants down. As it is, hdb already pending new rental restrictions... Just you watch.
    It is really a joke how newly weds can consider their new BTO/EC purchase as property investments.

if ur parents are going to stay with u in ur new EC, why did u mention about renting out ur EC?

This is gonna be your own domestic issue.

If your parents stay with you in your EC, who's collecting the HDB rent?

If you stay with your parents in their HDB, who's collecting the rent of the MM?

Hence i think it's a nonsensical question.

Grown ups should give their parents a break.... Pls. After they take care of you now you want them to take care of you some more after marriage - than after that take care of your xyz kids...??? However if you continue staying with your parents is to earn extra income and use it to pay for their medical etc and look after them coz they too old cant look after themselves properly than I take back all my words and salute you with great respects...

Not saying anyone here does it. But seriously, govt encourage newly weds to stay with or near parents for a reason. To take care of them - but in reality, its 99% the other way round. Conveniently drops off the kids for them to take care during work hours and even weekends when they go out enjoy themselves... Or use parents car on weekends without decentcy of paying road tax and ensuring full tank back.... some are even worse - so that can go back parents place for home cooked meal and/or collect done laundry..... I know people actually do that!?!!! To these people I ask - whats the point of getting married if you are going to still trouble your poor parents so much... But some parents also asking for it - they willingly spoil market do all these for their precious married child - what for? Just to see smiling faces on their grandchildren... In the end all worth it. To me, I dunno to laugh or cry for this state of affairs. But maybe thats uniquely Singapore...

Dun be so harsh on newbie lah. He is just lost n need some advice.

Not saying anyone here does it. But seriously, govt encourage newly weds to stay with or near parents for a reason. To take care of them - but in reality, its 99% the other way round. Conveniently drops off the kids for them to take care during work hours and even weekends when they go out enjoy themselves... Or use parents car on weekends without decentcy of paying road tax and ensuring full tank back.... some are even worse - so that can go back parents place for home cooked meal and/or collect done laundry..... I know people actually do that!?!!! To these people I ask - whats the point of getting married if you are going to still trouble your poor parents so much... But some parents also asking for it - they willingly spoil market do all these for their precious married child - what for? Just to see smiling faces on their grandchildren... In the end all worth it. To me, I dunno to laugh or cry for this state of affairs. But maybe thats uniquely Singapore...
    Precisely my point of this TS is a joke. EC vs FH MM. lol

Quote Originally Posted by shauntanzs
    Dun be so harsh on newbie lah. He is just lost n need some advice.
    I also newbie la... Heehee. But hope we give him or her serious food for thought.... No offense ok?

Precisely my point of this TS is a joke. EC vs FH MM. lol
    I just wanna take care of my parents and stay with them. But I don't wanna be property-less. It may sound stupid but to me if i have no property but still staying with them, it just seem like im living off them . Although the extra money from rental is useful but not a necessity. I ever consider leaving the ec un-rented for 5 years but my wife say its stupid. She advice that we move in EC and rent out HDB of my parents. The money from the rental was meant for extra allowance for them and may be to help in household needs if there is a lot.

My parents take care of their parents, I take care of them, my children take care of me. That's the way I was brought up.

I just wanna take care of my parents and stay with them. But I don't wanna be property-less. It may sound stupid but to me if i have no property but still staying with them, it just seem like im living off them . Although the extra money from rental is useful but not a necessity. I ever consider leaving the ec un-rented for 5 years but my wife say its stupid. She advice that we move in EC and rent out HDB of my parents. The money from the rental was meant for extra allowance for them and may be to help in household needs if there is a lot.
    Alright, my bad then.

Anyway, if u can afford an EC and still qualify for it, go for it.

My parents take care of their parents, I take care of them, my children take care of me. That's the way I was brought up.
    First, dun make the assumption that ur children will take care of u. In fact, u have to make provision to take care of them.

For your question as to EC or MM FH, I find these are not related choices.

If own stay with family, is EC. From time of application to TOP is 3 years, then 5 years MOP before u can rent out.

I suggest to look into what is your real needs first.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    First, dun make the assumption that ur children will take care of u. In fact, u have to make provision to take care of them.

If own stay with family, is EC. From time of application to TOP is 3 years, then 5 years MOP before u can rent out.

I fully agree. When agents ask you (99% when they first meet you they will) whether you are buying for own stay or investment there is a reason and not asking for fun. The recommendations and options may be starkly different depending on your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna

heheh that was my point but too lazy to argue further.

So confusing. So you already have an EC? How to buy another? And now you staying in hdb, or what?

ehhh....if this is the case then how did that FH mm come into the picture?