Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More cooling measures 'likely'

Default More cooling measures 'likely'

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...23940,00.html?

Published March 31, 2012

More cooling measures 'likely'

By MINDY TAN

THE likelihood of the government implementing a sixth round of cooling measures is now much higher than two months back.

That being said, measures, if implemented, are likely to happen only in the second quarter of this year, said Png Poh Soon, head of consultancy and research at Knight Frank.

'A few months doesn't really constitute a trend so naturally, the government will look - it may take one to two quarters to observe if this is a sustainable trend or if (the spike in sale volumes) is short-term,' he said.

Based on Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) figures for the month of February, a total of 2,413 private homes - excluding executive condominiums (ECs) - were sold, representing a 29 per cent month-on-month jump, and more than double the number sold in the same period last year.

Including ECs, a total of 3,138 units were sold in February, up 51 per cent from January's 2,077 units.

The robust buying sentiment has revived conjecture that the government might roll out additional cooling measures. This follows a series of cooling measures which culminated in the implementation of an additional buyer's stamp duty in December last year.

Said Mr Png: 'When the sixth round comes in, it could be a refinement of the existing five rounds of cooling measures, or it could be something drastically new. The way I look at it, it's likely a tightening of existing measures.'

'The market is actually in mixed flux. The resale market is quite dead, (but) new sales are doing very well. Is this (a sign of) a very stable and sustainable market? This is a question many people are interested in.'

your CM is like no effect at all...

when developers keep setting record prices, you know you're never too far away from more CM.

the developers are out to sux dry your pocket money nowadays..

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    the developers are out to sux dry your pocket money nowadays..
    Income ceiling going to raise to 20k to give a strong punch to the developers?

But shouldn't really put all the blame on the developers, need two hands to clap leh. The buyers have so many BTO, dbss, ec and the large resale units to choose from. If they keep biting new launches, of course the developers will raise price to maximize profit.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    when developers keep setting record prices, you know you're never too far away from more CM.
    There little the government can do la.... Just leave the private market alone and don't waste manpower and government resources on it. Just feed the citizens with unlimited hdb supply will do Leave private market to market force. Or another way is to shut the door loh, become a closed economy.

How to feed unlimited? Keep doing SERS? But that still take 3-4 years for the supply to come on line.

How to feed unlimited? Keep doing SERS? But that still take 3-4 years for the supply to come on line.
    like what they r doing now, launching 50k, 100k or 500k unit per year....to solve the immediate shortage, take back all hdb that are used by owners for tenanting and re-released to the young couples. but of course the existing owners will object furiously, the foreigners will have no place to stay and mass market condo rents will shoot up,....

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    There little the government can do la.... Just leave the private market alone and don't waste manpower and government resources on it. Just feed the citizens with unlimited hdb supply will do Leave private market to market force. Or another way is to shut the door loh, become a closed economy.
    Its the locals buying up new projects at new highs....

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Its the locals buying up new projects at new highs....
    can u blame them COE 80k....HDB 800k....buy BRAND NEW CONDO better right...below 1mil can get 3 bedder....INTEREST SO LOW SOMEMORE.....no matter what type of CM wont work....u know what CM means right....

CM=Cannot Make....IT

You must know that now Singapore has about 20% of each cohort who are graduates not including those getting degrees from abroad. This group of people have studied hard with the hope of having a better life with PC and car. This group will increase to 25% in a few years time. They also know that having HDB will tie them down for 5 years and to this group is too long. However, I will still want my kids to go for BTO flat as this is their entitlement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    Income ceiling going to raise to 20k to give a strong punch to the developers?

But shouldn't really put all the blame on the developers, need two hands to clap leh. The buyers have so many BTO, dbss, ec and the large resale units to choose from. If they keep biting new launches, of course the developers will raise price to maximize profit.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    However, I will still want my kids to go for BTO flat as this is their entitlement.
    Agreed.... definitely must get the kids to get BTO when they get married.
    It is something like a birthright.

Singapore girls first house is D9 or D10 or Reflection or Marina Bay ... you can forget about HDB Little wonder Singaporean men are marrying Malaysians, Indons, Pinoys, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, mainland Chinese and leaving the Singapore girl alone
    Ride at your own risk !!!

These girls from mainland chinese, vietnamese, etc will divorce the Singapore men and share half of their wealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Singapore girls first house is D9 or D10 or Reflection or Marina Bay ... you can forget about HDB Little wonder Singaporean men are marrying Malaysians, Indons, Pinoys, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, mainland Chinese and leaving the Singapore girl alone

haha...

into condo, yes.. but not d9 or d10 la..those region too exp. unless they earn really alot

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Agreed.... definitely must get the kids to get BTO when they get married.
    It is something like a birthright.
    I think, this is a very wrong thinking

one shall set the goal that the kids are no longer eligible to buy HDB when they get married. ie, they earn >$10,000 a month for the couple.

Can u imagine if the couple earn $10,000 a month when they get married?

Look closely and study carefully, it is not that expensive as you think. I am talking about condos not landed.
    Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    haha...

into condo, yes.. but not d9 or d10 la..those region too exp. unless they earn really alot

It will not be household income of $10,000 to buy BTO hdb flat then at least for my kids. Not sure about buttercup. It could be $13000. Alternatively, one of them can resign temporarily and then apply for a BTO flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna

one shall set the goal that the kids are no longer eligible to buy HDB when they get married. ie, they earn >$10,000 a month for the couple.

So you are saying if the couple's combined income is less than $10k, they should not get married?
    No wonder our youngsters are getting married later and later!

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    So you are saying if the couple's combined income is less than $10k, they should not get married?
    No wonder our youngsters are getting married later and later!
    I am talking about goal setting for children. As to what they can achieve is a different story.

Dun tell ur children that getting a BTO is your entitlement. I tell my children, there is no such thing known as entitlement even from the parents. They must earn for themselves.

I am afraid kids are very smart these days. They will go the easier way out. They must be able to maintain what they have and grow it. Should not start from ground zero. This is the strategy of the new generation. Our old school of thoughts do not work now.
    I am talking about goal setting for children. As to what they can achieve is a different story.

Dun tell ur children that getting a BTO is your entitlement. I tell my children, there is no such thing known as entitlement even from the parents. They must earn for themselves.

What to do..

Last time gov build many many flat at ulu place at Punggol & expecting many ppl to buy.. but end up stuck vacant.. so for the last few year they keep releasing Punggol/Sengkang (no mature estate) so ppl lan lan have to buy there & gov can clear off their vacant units.

Now gov has learn their lesson, you buy then they build..

Punggol 21 project was mooted 10 years ago with no success. Now, it is so successful with WT, ATT, etc. They really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    What to do..

Last time gov build many many flat at ulu place at Punggol & expecting many ppl to buy.. but end up stuck vacant.. so for the last few year they keep releasing Punggol/Sengkang (no mature estate) so ppl lan lan have to buy there & gov can clear off their vacant units.

Now gov has learn their lesson, you buy then they build..

limit supply in popular estate + do up longkang in ulu estate with surplus = viola! They get u to where they want u to b

This could be due to the increase of 1mil population in the last 8 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by fan
    limit supply in popular estate + do up longkang in ulu estate with surplus = viola! They get u to where they want u to b

actually lots of lands still around MRT stations (even for those close to city centre) .. if you know what it means

Hence, buy those landed ones in those area if you know what I meant.
    actually lots of lands still around MRT stations (even for those close to city centre) .. if you know what it means

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    You must know that now Singapore has about 20% of each cohort who are graduates not including those getting degrees from abroad. This group of people have studied hard with the hope of having a better life with PC and car. This group will increase to 25% in a few years time. They also know that having HDB will tie them down for 5 years and to this group is too long. However, I will still want my kids to go for BTO flat as this is their entitlement.
    Emporium boss bankrupt @ 72 and become a millionaire again @ 87! This is what I called work very hard and deserving what he has/had. Not becos u r graduate, u deserve to stay in condo

There a chinese saying that says that it is difficult to be prosperous for 3generations... It really true loh...

the next CM ...possible:

-no more small unit with more than one bedroom...
    - capital tax
    - no more 2 units for local unless tax heavily

etc etc

Buy MM now b4 it is banned lol